No announcement yet.

Primal journal : Coll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am still trying to get my head on the right way again. Getting more focused and more intentional... fitday and I are having sporadic dates and I am feeling a little more myself today (the new myself that is!) The Friday story was inspiring today - even more so than normal for me. I have been realising that my caloric intake is too much even though I am completely primal and very seldom have a carb intake over 100 and usually under 50 gms. I have a family reunion coming up on the 5 - 7th August and I DESPERATELY want to be a bit slimmer before then!!! So, time to re-evaluate my macros and I am going to aim to cut back the calories by about 200 and see if that helps. Aiming for about 1200 calories a day... we'll see if that is a realistic / helpful goal. I have also not been doing as much slow moving since the fire but want to get going more again. I spent about an hour this morning mowing the very bumpy pasture in front of the house. Including the cactus and yucca (baby ones)

I am at a bit of a standstill with my boxes - feeling very unmotivated to do any today. But I think I am going to try and get at least a couple done. Two less for tomorrow.
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 221.4 lbs
    Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• I have set myself a goal of emptying once box every day - so far I have exceeded my goal. However, it will become harder as I get down to the tougher boxes - the ones filled with every type of detrius that have to be sorted, and one with things I know I should discard but just can't. But I will worry about that when it happens.
      My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I hear you Siobhan! I have hit the boxes you are talking about! The ones that have all kinds of things in that I am not sure what to do with! I ended up not doing any box stuff today, took a time out this afternoon and lay in the sun while the kids played in the kiddie pool and then made a decent dinner for a change.

I had two cups of tea with cream and stevia this morning. Lunch was two fried eggs and 1 slice of meatloaf, 1/2 cup frozen peas, 1/8 cup raw baby carrots. One square dark chocolate. Dinner was spaghetti sauce with meat on spaghetti squash, brusselsprouts fried in butter and topped with grated parmesan and seasonings! Delicious and satisfying. I have to be careful to chew the brusselsprouts carefully or I get terrible stomach cramps. I like them too much to give them up altogether so just take it easy on the amount and chew very thoroughly. I tried to take my time with my dinner instead of wolfing it down as I usually do - some bad habits still left over from my years as a nurse. We used to have to gobble our food if there was a break for a few minutes, otherwise you didn't get it. Can still inhale my food if not intentional about it. DH is good for me in this regard, he has always eaten slowly and that helps me slow down.

According to fitday my macros were:
        Fat 96.8g
        Protein 67.5g
        Carbs 55.8g
        Calories 1160

So we'll see how that sits with me. While mowing the front yard I burned my arm on the mowers carb! OUCH! But I am very pleased to say that the essential oil treatment is very soothing and hopefully it will heal without any scar. I have enough scarring and ugliness on my skin without adding extras! I was very impressed with how much the lavender and geranium oils helped with the pain too ... it was pretty sore until I got the EO on, even though I had run it under cold water and had an ice pack on it for a while. Now I just hope that I don't react to the adhesive on the big bandaid May just have to change it up and use a dressing tomorrow so that I don't have the adhesive on one spot for too long. We'll see.

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• One of the things that impressed me the most about Friday's success story, was the change in her face. I expect bodies to get smaller with weight loss, but it is always amazing to me how faces can changes. I had never seen a picture of Paleobird at her top weight, only her avator, so I was amazed. You can see the hint of her new self in the old pictures. Makes me wonder what I will look like when I get there. And, wow! That stomach. I want that stomach!

Comment

• AMEN sister! That stomach and those legs!!! Sad thing is I used to have that stomach when I was a teeenager ... I know it is somewhere in there buried under all the layers. Have you taken pics of yourself Sabine? I want to get a few more of me 30 pounds lighter to show the progression. I hope that one day I will have the 'after' pic that Paleobird has! I lost a pound yesterday after being more careful - didn't really feel much different than the day before as far as hunger. I think sometimes I don't notice true hunger until it is well and truly established. The other 'faux hunger' seems to nag at you all the time trying to convince you to eat something you don't need. Real hunger is delighted when offered real food - nothing else will satisfy it. When I am truly hungry I am not interested in junk - I want a fatty steak and a big salad instead. Going shopping on my own this morning - what a treat! Got to run to the store and stock up on food and then get home and water plants before they wilt.

Comment

• I have my 'before' pictures, but no 'in progress' pictures yet. Maybe once I hit the half-way mark. Only, my idea of my final goal weight keeps changing, so I'm not certain where 'half-way' is!

Comment

• Hi Coll, I'm catching up with everyone's journals after some time off with my DH (just at home, the kids were on holiday with my parents). So glad to see you had some rain finally! We're still having plenty though so if you need some more just shout .
                My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
                My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
                Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
                Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

• Hi Candy - I was wondering where you had got to! Glad you had a bit of time to yourselves - hope it was a good rest.
                  Sabine, take a few where you are at - you might be surprised to see the changes and that can be encouraging
                  Yesterday was a little crazy as we went out for lunch with BIL and SIL. Tried to pick a place that would sort of work for us ... we all ate some fries and DS and I did not feel too great afterwards. I am sure the result of sudden carb high. I also had a glass of port as a treat - we were celebrating one year in our new business and that it has taken off really nicely the last few months. But the port left me with even more of a sugar high and flushed as can be - and it was about 100 degrees outside! Not a good time to be flushed with alcohol! Next time will have a glass of red wine and call it good. Food was ok, but honestly I prefer to eat at home nowadays. I don't like spending so much on food that doesn't satisfy me and in fact usually has me feeling yuk afterwards. Had a salad with smoked salmon and the dressing was nice, but it was only lettuce and spinach and probably 1 or two ounces of salmon - definitely lacking in staying power. Had a slice of meatloaf and a few nuts and a peach for dinner as I was not really hungry - we bought chocolate with raspberries in, on the way home and I had about 6 pieces (yummy at the time but was way too much and left me feeling somewhat sick). The one good thing about yesterday was I slept well for the first time in ages! Feel like a new woman today. Spent about an hour mowing some of the yard. Busy watering it now and doing lots of walking around in the process. Going to attack my boxes because I have family coming over on Wednesday evening and that is great motivation to get the place sorted out. We need place to sit and have our meeting - family that we love but really don't get on with. Not looking forward to the meeting, as there is so much manipulation and control and condescension that gushes our way it is hard to keep your head above the water... oh well, hopefully it is the last befpre the family reunion. Then it is just the actual reunion to survive, and then a huge sigh of relief and our 'duty' is done for the next few years. So sad to feel this way about family Everyone thinks we are being difficult with our diet requirements even though I have told them that we will bring our own food so as not to force everyone else to eat the way we do. Of course the menu is 80% grains and 10% sugar and the rest fruit and veggies and meat. Everyone else is either vegetarian or strictly CW diet for heart health etc as they all have health issues. However we are the ones that everyone is horrified at how we are eating! Crazy world we live in huh?! The kids are going to struggle with seeing everyone else eating chips and bread and cookies and cakes at every meal. Any suggestions on really yummy primal treats to take with us? ( about a 5 hour drive to get there) One thing I will be taking is a primal carrot cake that we all love. Any cookie type treats you have tried and found your kids like? I think I am going to make up a bunch of burgers that we can cook on the first evening (BBQ meal) and then have for breakfast with eggs on the other two mornings. Even if I wanted to cheat and just go with the grains (I don't) our whole family would probably spend the weekend in the bathroom with severe gastric consequences and I am not going to allow that. The ideal thing would be to premake cookies and freeze them and we can pull them out once we get there. I will take a bunch of the chocolate the kids like - it is only 48% but that is as dark as DS can stomach, and they only have a piece or two once in a while. I figure they burn it off pretty fast especially as they are going to be in the pool a lot of the time.

I might need to make some fruit rollups, and beef jerky / biltong too. I'll take string cheese that the kids love for snacks, and butter for DS to nibble on.

Comment

• Okay, this is way out there, and may not align with your values, but...some kids are very motivated by money. You could sit them down and tell them that this will be a challenging food situation, and you really want them to keep on with their good habits, because it is better for their health, but you KNOW that this will be work because they will be surrounded by all these tempting but bad for you 'treats'. So you want to offer a reward/prize/incentive/wage/combat pay(whatever term you think fits in with how you want them to perceive this) to them.

Offer them a set amount of money, and any 'bad treat' they eat means a deduction of x amount. They can still choose to have a 'bad treat' but they have to pay for it (financially as well as physically). Kids love having control, and although I know you'll come up with great alternatives for them, this might be the extra they could use to keep them eating the good stuff. It is also a practical way of weighing the costs of something. Long term health might not be that important to them at this point, but an extra 50 cents? Oh, yeah!

Also, I would get your kids feedback, of what kind of 'good treats' they'd like to have available. They might surprise you.

Good luck with your meeting.

Comment

• Thanks for your response Sabine. I love your idea of asking the kids what treats (healthy) they would like me to take. Also, they are trying to save up for some lego's they want and money might be a great reward/ motivator for them... will talk that over with DH and see if we can make this work for us. Sometimes it helps so much to have someone outside your situation share their thoughts - it is easy to get bogged down and lose perspective... thanks again!

Comment

• Well, it has been very busy. I had a couple of days where I really attacked the boxes and the house and had to clean up 'big time' as we had family over for one of the meetings that I so dread. And then I had a surprise call from friends who are on furlough in the States and they came over for dinner and spent the night. Talk about lots of movement!! It is only when you are going to have guests staying in your house that you truly 'see' the state of your place!! So major cleaning and tidying happened all day on Thursday! Then had to put together a nice meal, roast stuffed pork loin, artichokes dipped in garlic butter, BAS with homemade dressing, and a bowl of berries and cream for dessert. It was yummy, and I was beyond pooped at the end of it all. My heel was the main thing that was bothering me - VERY painful. I had to get our bedroom guest ready (a mission not for the fainthearted!) and we slept on the floor in our kids rooms on inflatable mattress pads. Not bad, but I still prefer my bed The kid's beds are not really adult friendly. The kids were thrilled to have a sleepover with mom and dad.

I found one of the green & black's chocolates that I was hoping DS might like. 55% cocoa with orange and spices, and I have to say it is delectable! Maya Gold is its name and I munched a fair amount of that yesterday, such a delightful flavour - very subtle. DS tolerated it, he liked the flavourings but the 55% gets through and he is extremely sensitive to certain flavours. I swear he could be a wine maker or perfume maker with the incredible sensitivity he has to flavours and smells. I am hoping that eventually he will be able to go up in the percentages of cocoa content.

I tried to find the paleo bread at our local healthfood shop (online it stated that they had it in stock) only to find they are planning to add it but it is still going through their approval process or something. Really need to get some for our family reunion so the kids can eat 'bread' while everyone else is making sandwiches etc with the poison stuff Family have agreed to me making the carrot cake for dessert the one night and the kids are delighted (as is DH) - they all love it. Going to try making some primal gingerbread cookies this weekend and see if they go down well too. I did make the blueberry butter balls and the consensus is a thumbs up. I will tweak it very slightly next time - add more vanilla, a tiny bit of honey, and a few more blueberries - I wonder if I should try dehydrating some and then powder them to add a touch more flavour. DS loved them though ... he loves butter anyway so this is right up his alley. Maybe I'll take some of these with us to the reunion too. We'll see... I asked the kids what treats they would like to take along and they wanted me to figure out some kind of cookie replacement. We are not winning any points in the popularity contest (we are near bottom on that anyway with the family) as we are sticking to our diet change for the reunion. There is just NO WAY at all we would be able to eat even half of what is being offered. Most of the meals are baked goods and loads of sweets, some meals are only grains and fruit. The thought of our whole family with upset stomachs and miserable for the whole time, just didn't really sound like a good plan to me

I am dreading the reunion to be honest. We live a very simple life and the family is very into all the 'sophisticated' stuff and culture. Our kids are still children and their cousins are all mini adults already and can't bring themselves to condescend to play with my childish kids It is all this big competition to see who has the most awards and activities and achievements and my kids just can't hold a candle to them. We think it is important for kids to play and be outside and explore their world, don't get me wrong, our kids are very smart, but it is not visible to those who look with eyes of judgement. 'Fortunately' our kids can't swim yet, so one of us will be with them all the time and hopefully we can help to shield them from the worst of the comparisons and rejections. DH is the youngest of 8 kids and is one of the three unpopular ones ... makes for interesting dynamics, sigh. (and yet he is the best of the lot - lol - they just can't see it!)

I am going to do some mowing today (another hot one - 100 F yesterday) and then I am sure that the kids and I will spend some time at their little pool. I have been lying in the sun in my bikini - very daring! Plenty fat hanging out all over - but the kids are so encouraging. They think that Mommy is looking awesome - though too white, ha ha ha. So they play and I lie in the sun and take a dip every now and again. Another fun thing is that the kids are learning to swim - just being around the water lots and having it about 18" deep (or maybe a little more) is just enough for them to get their confidence and experiment and yet still feel safe. I am thrilled for them and hopefully we can make the most of the pool while at the reunion for them to really 'get' it!

DH is headed off to a weekend long workshop next weekend learning how to build with straw bales. DH used to build custom homes for many years but we have been more and more interested in exploring the natural materials as they are so much less toxic etc. So this is super cool for him to be able to learn from someone who has done this for a while. It would be really awesome to be able to build our own strawbale house...

I need to make some insect repellant for us and the dog - the mosquitoes are out in squadrons now and ready to lift us off into space.

Have a good day!

Comment

• I just spent about 20 minutes posting a long answer and it disappeared into nothing!! AAAHHHH! NO more time, will try again later!

Comment

• Oh, now it reappears - whew! Off to mow a meadow

Comment

• Got really hot yesterday - just didn't feel good temperature wise for the rest of the day and then in the evening felt somewhat chilled. Spent the whole morning outside mowing the backyard (two tank yard - ie. fill the mower up twice to get it all) and then watering plants and doing outside chores. Felt horrid after a while - only got up to 97F, but for some reason I did not tolerate it yesterday. (If you don't know just blame it on hormones!) Cleaned out the kiddie pool and refilled, lay in the sun for a while but just too hot to enjoy - when you start feeling nauseated it is time to seek shade! Was very nice having breathtakingly cold water to dip in!

Ate eggs and kippers for lunch, baby carrots. Dinner was sausages and veggies and about half a cup of canned peaches and cream. I know it is not the best, but it is a favourite and I get the one in fruit juice. Not too bad on carbs if you have been careful the rest of the day. Had a few pieces of dark chocolate ... yum. The usual tea with cream and stevia in the morning.

Weight is staying at 191.5 for a couple of days - hopefully it will start edging down again soon. I can fit into the 'small' swimsuit (x-large actually) but it is not comfortable yet. Hold thumbs for me that I will be able to wear that for the family reunion. My maternity swimsuit is now too large to look ok anymore. DD looked at me yesterday and said that I am getting 'skinny' like our landlord! Lol! He really is skinny and I am far from skinny. But it is fun to hear the kids cheering me on and saying how good I am looking They are so sweet ...

Well, off to water my plants and then hopefully paint some of the coop that DH is building. Certainly hot enough to dry in a few minutes at the moment.

Comment

• Too hot at the moment! I spent the afternoon painting the inside of a two story portable chicken coop. Squeezing in through the little window openings and with my head at a weird angle and my arms up over my head - whew! Called it quitting time when I ran out of paint in the pan (small one) I am certainly working on getting the toxins out of my body by sweating at the moment! It just pours down my back and chest - I am amazed at how unstinky I am today, yesterday I reeked!? Guess it just depends on what is going on at the time of sweating...

Had tea with cream and stevia for breakfast. Delicious fresh macadamia nuts for a snack. Sausage and fried eggs for lunch, apple and another cup of tea. A few pieces of chocolate (I know I am having too much ... but I still keep having it. The good thing is it is just a little and I am not gorging myself on it. However I do need to get on top of this emotional eating thing...) Dinner was meatloaf, BAS and a few olives, bowl of berries and cream. I feel pretty full this evening, needless to say!

My heel is really painful - been about a year now that I have almost constant pain in the back of my heel. I wish I could figure out how to get rid of the pain. I can't walk normally because it feels as though the achilles tendon is just going to snap or pull off the bone at the point where it attaches .... so I have to shorten my stride to keep that side from stretching too much. I put arnica on numerous times a day usually, I ice it from time to time - probably should do more of that though. Nothing else touches it. Any ideas anyone? WOndering if I should try taking Wobenzyme to reduce the inflammation. I think I am going to give that a shot. Just wonder why it got all het up in the first place. Just because I was eating loads of sugar and grains? I do hope that at some point I'll reach the tipping point and will start to see the chronic issues start to improve and resolve.

On a bright note, my gardens are doing great. My tomatoes are like Jack's beanstalk! They are over 6 feet tall and loaded in flowers and tiny fruits! I have two cabbages ready to be picked and a number of kale plants that are just begging to be eaten. It is so hot (have I said that yet today) that my cauliflower has bolted but everything else is looking lovely I may just have to share a pic of the rock garden that took so much effort to create. Dh fixed my camera and now I can take pics again! I spent a while this afternoon taking pics of the chickens - not the easiest subject as they are in constant motion. Everytime I take a shot they jerk their heads forward to peck at something, result blurry pics by the dozen. Lol. Doesn't stop me from trying though, when the pic works out it is worth the effort.

Comment

Working...
                                X