Primal journal : Coll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adorable pictures!
    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
    2. Eat to heal
    3. Move to live
    4. Embrace today
    5. Live with intention
    6. Respect my body
    7. Cultivate joy
    8. Find my passion
    9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Originally posted by The Walrus View Post
      OMG who is cuter, the chicken or DS?!?! Amazing stuff!

Yeah, I'm not farmer but I've never understood that attitude, or abusing the animals. I mean, they're valuable! Seems to me you would take really good care of them and treat them like gold especially if you're going to eat them. I can understand not being too sentimental about animals you intend to eat, but I don't get why anyone would abuse them.

Good luck on the move!

I echo all of the above and would just like to add we are so lucky here that our chickens don't have predators, the fencing is more to protect our garden and that of our neighbours from them, hah.
      Annie Ups the Ante
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• AnnieH you are very fortunate to not have to deal with predators! They are so darned persistent and sometimes amazingly clever or strong!!

Well, our move is in the final throes. DH is finishing off the final cleanup this morning while I have been doing the admin side of things - getting the water transferred back into landlord's name etc. My body did not play ball this week and I was in so much pain it was ridiculous. I was also constantly exhausted - from when I woke up through the whole day. Times I felt I was going to either puke or pass out. My foot just agony all day and night. Then yesterday, all of a sudden, the same sudden huge decrease in pain and I had energy and buzzed around all day with one break at lunch time! SO weird. Of course my foot was really sore by the evening but still not on the same scale as it was??? It seems that there is something I am taking that is helping and I am guessing it may be the combo of thyroid support and adrenal support supplements that I am taking. I have started to increase them and I am wondering if there is something in them that I am seriously depleted in? It is so sudden and so dramatic when I have these good days and it is almost like having my old self back. It is funny though that I have 'no thyroid issues' according to the blood tests. I can't even explain how bad I feel most of the time - and yet I am starting to see the light somewhere off in the distance! Hope is rising!

We are LOVING our new home! The usual surprises on an older place that had an old person living there in poor health. Lots of little things that are needing fixing and replacing. The garage door cable snapped last night as DH closed it on the last load (talk about perfect timing!) and both the shower heads are ancient. The plug in the one bath tub doesn't work properly and the shower in the other one needs replacing (no access either) Fortunately I am married to a very handy and creative man who will figure it out and fix it I flushed 10 deer this morning while walking the dog - mostly does and fawns with one buck. Bunnies and chipmunks everywhere. A friend of mine has a neighbor who's horse was mauled by a mountain lion yesterday!!! They've only had the mare for about 2 weeks and now she can never be ridden again and they are hoping they can fix her enough that she can be a brood mare!!!!!!! I can't imagine how devastating that must be ...

Still no curtains up! And I can't find anything! And I need to offload a ton of stuff - unbelievable how much we have!!! Just WAY TOO MUCH. I feel smothered by it all!
        Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
        Primal low: 186 lbs
        Current weight: 221.4 lbs
        Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Just a quick hi and off to bed. We are moved but still boxes everywhere. I refuse to be rushed in unpacking as I REALLY want to be sure that I get rid of everything that I can. And I really want to have this house organized as best I know how. My brain is tired of unpacking though - trying to figure out where to put things is rather taxing sometimes

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Welcome home!

Comment

• Hope you are settling in and enjoying your new home! I am so excited for you. Wondering how the chickens liked the move,
              My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Hi TW! We are enjoying our home immensely. Feeling so blessed. Our chickens are still in cages in the garage - less than ideal for now. We have been so busy trying to get the basics squared away in the house that they are having to wait. The shed needs a fair amount of work before it will be ready for chickens - fortunately we didn't end up getting the chicks so the pressure is not on to get it all done before they explode out of the brooder!! It is a bit of an adjustment having no fence around our yard as it seems that everyone walks their dogs off leash (they're supposed to be under good voice control if so - NOT) and it makes it a little nerve wracking at times. We can't afford to put up a fence that would be approved by the HOA yet, so just got to be careful when I take our dog out, or when the kids have the chickens in the little run. Sigh, there are always thoughtless people to deal with. It is pretty annoying when someone's dog runs onto your property and starts barking at you or your dog?! Excuse me?

Our bedroom faces East and I have to say we have been getting the most awesome sunrises since we moved it - once I find my tripod I will need to get some pictures! Great way to start the day I must say!

Comment

• Crazy frigid weather at the moment!!! Our high today was 1F! Ridiculously early for this kind of weather - our first storm of the season and we have 6 inches of snow and day after day of really cold weather! Glad our chickens are still in the garage as it is a lot warmer than their coop would have been. With our two 'girls' being older I am glad that they are not having the shock of the truly frigid temps. I have them all bundled up with cardboard to keep the chill breezes off and a heat lamp which they seem to appreciate. They are spending a fair amount of time just soaking in the warmth under the lamp.

Our poor dog is having a hard time walking outside. I take her out for a potty break and she starts limping within the first minute of being out there. I think the cold is getting her - maybe ice between her foot pads. Thinking of getting her booties ... if this is the first storm of the season I think we are in for a humdinger of a winter! But!!! And this is a huge BUT, we are loving being in our own snug house with our little woodstove cranking out the heat. I am so glad that we are not dealing with the single pane windows anymore and the heating bills associated with living in a 1969 trailer!! What a huge difference!! And I have to say, I am loving the electric baseboard heat! We really don't need a whole lot of heat in the house - about 50F in most of the house and then we crank the heat out of the woodstove. You can warm up any time you like and yet you can get away from the heat too when you need a break. Love it! And each room can be set to whatever temp you like ... I like it!

I have had some major computer hassles - and I am not exactly computer savvy. Very stressful in some ways - but very grateful for a friend who has been texting me all day with how to do different things. I am delighted to say that it is working again - though still needing more help, it at least is not acting like it is about crash and die any second.

Comment

• Happy Thanksgiving to all those who abide in America! Have a wonderful day! We have a fire going in the woodstove, a beautiful sunny day and the aromas of a smoked ham roast baking in the oven!! We bought a half hog (organic) from a contact. SO yummy! The stuff we have eaten already is really good! We are all going to check out the bottom half of our property today and try to figure out the good places for the kids playset/fort and hammocks and whatnot. Just nice to be outside for a change. I thought the wind was bad at the rental we used to live at (how nice to say that - used to live at!!) but up here about 2500 or more feet higher is really howls! Nice thing is the house is sturdy and cosy and we are not affected when inside. The rental you could feel the breezes despite the house being closed up tight!

I have been having fun cooking on our woodstove. The last couple of days I have been simmering bone broth on there - driving the family crazy with the yummy smells I also cooked up a huge pot of chili the other day which filled the house with delightful aromas. Something so satisfying about cooking on a fire and knowing that it is not costing me electricity. We have friends that live nearby that have given us a few cords of wood. We just pop over every now and again and collect another load. That's the downside of moving in the fall - no wood set aside or split. Hubby is out in all weather's trying to get the next days wood split. Very thankful for the wood though!! We need to find a source for another type of wood to combine with the pine though, as burning pine exclusively is not good for the chimney!

I am feeling so much more relaxed here in this house. It is still chaotic in here though much improved. I have to pace myself with how much I do or else I am wiped for days. Yesterday we all got to watch a red fox within about 15 yards of our house stalking something under the snow drifts. What a thrill watching it from so close as it gathered itself for the leap. Whatever it was after got away but it then trotted over to our house and was hunting right next to our deck. They are such beautiful animals! We have mule deer everywhere out here and we are careful to let them be. As a result they are still bedding down here and spend a lot of time browsing near the house. When I take the pooch out for her walks I deliberately walk her where the deer will not be disturbed and they don't even get up when they see us. And luckily for us in this circumstance our pooches poor sight and deafness keep her oblivious to their presence so she doesn't bark at them. We also have a resident bunny that loves hanging out under our truck or other vehicles and is really not particularly scared of us.

We had planned on planting a number of trees as soon as we got in here but the cold arrived very early and I think that the planting is going to wait for the spring instead. I have a table full of plants down in the crawlspace with a light over them. Then the trees etc. are in the garage.

I am starting out gradually with weighing myself once a week to get an idea of how my weight is doing. Still very heavy. Wishing I could find a doc locally who understood paleo principles and who could help me figure out my health challenges. What I wouldn't give to be able to get someone like Chris Kresser help me. I feel pretty lost as to what direction to go - but I am feeling somewhat better with improved sleep and being a bit more active. I have also been doing better with including more veggies every day. I still am dependent on taking a heaped tablespoon of plantain flour and probiotics every day or else I slide back into the diarrhea and all that craziness. But with the plantain flour I feel pretty good so I am very happy about that. Still have a pretty noticeable amount of swelling in my legs especially by the end of the day. Anyway, I have a few things that I am going to try and see how that helps. I was reading some of Chris Kressers stuff about low carb with my symptoms - not recommended. He suggested that some people just do much better with eating in the am despite not being hungry and eating regularly through the day. Keeps cortisol levels low if you are struggling with adrenal fatigue - fasting can push cortisol levels up in certain cases. No appetite in the mornings is a warning sign for me - I am hardly ever interested in food for hours after waking up. So I am going to work on eating within an hour of getting up and keeping the gaps between meals about 3 hours and see if that helps at all.

Comment

• Happy Thanksgiving to you, Coll. Although I know you are from South Africa, I also know that you are a grateful person. I am so glad to hear of happenings in your new home and so glad that your family is spending the holidays in your new place and NO MORE ICKY LANDLORD!!!! Blessings and peace to all of you.

Comment

• So long since I have been around much. Still settling in, loving our new home and being done with the landlords! Hear me singing the Hallelujah chorus day after day!!! It is so peaceful being home here. My stress levels are starting to drop off and I am hopeful for the New Year. I will turn 50 next year and I really want to see some big changes in my health and weight.

We have finished wrapping all the gifts and the kids are soooo excited! It is so sweet watching their little faces all lit up with anticipation. And it is SO fun preparing surprises for them. Looks like we are supposed to get a pretty good winter storm arriving tomorrow afternoon and I am so glad. One of the gifts we got the kids is zipfy mini luge sleds. Our backyard hill is going to be perfect for sledding! We are supposed to get a fair amount of snow which will be most helpful!

My computer is still not functional for the internet so I am using DH's when he is not needing it for work etc. Part of the reason I have been so scarce. Looking forward to making yummy primal food tomorrow for us all to enjoy. Bacon for breakfast, Christmas cake with icecream for dessert after eating roast lamb, roast potatoes, garlic green beans, roast onions and gravy. Mmmm!

We have a huge Christmas tree up and loaded to the gills with every decoration we own. It is so fun decorating our own home - yeah! I am adjusting to the higher altitude (about 2500 ft higher than the rental) and am looking forward to getting more active as we go along. I am wanting to start doing stretches again and also plan on starting to do the primal movement that Mark recommends. I am sooooo unfit and I think that will be a good way to ease into movement again without injuries.

Merry Christmas all, may you have a wonderful day celebrating with family and/or friends. And big hugs to those who find this time of the year difficult! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Comment

• Coll! I am so glad you popped in! I've been thinking about you and wondering how you are doing in your new home. It must be so exciting to be spending the holidays in your very own walls. Have a wonderful day and an even better New Year!

Comment

• Merry Christmas, Coll. Thank you for stopping by. I'm glad you are having such a wonderful start in your new home.

Comment

• A very merry Christmas to you, Coll. The first one for you all in your new home and I hope the best ever. Blessings to you all.
                              Annie Ups the Ante
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Thank you for your kind words friends! Warming my heart! We had 8+ inches of snow yesterday and it is still coming down. The kids are so excited as they'll be able to sled this afternoon! It is pretty cold though - I don't have anything particularly warm to wear as I am too big to fit into any of my older snow clothes. But I am going to put some lined jeans on and have fun for a little bit anyway. DH had given me some money to spend at Christmas and I had some left over - so I went online and ordered us both a zipfy sled too! I figure that this could be a really fun way to get some exercise even if I only make it up and down the hill a few times it is more than I would do otherwise and I am sure it will be a blast. It is so nice to be able to sled in our own yard!

Our poor old dog has had diarrhea for the last couple of days which means we have been getting up every other hour to take her out for potty breaks!! Less than fun believe me especially with the cold weather. I decided to make her fast today (poor pooch can't understand where her breakfast is!) and am just giving her watered down kefir. I have no idea what she got into but hopefully this will rest her tummy and help repopulate with good probiotics.

Comment

Working...
                                X