Show, then aid - Sabine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using my brain

I am finishing a home project today, putting up quarter round trim around our walls to finish the flooring I put in 2 1/4 years ago.

This is not my forte. But I am determined. If this were ten thousand years ago, I'm guessing the mental equivalent would be making a crafty dead-fall trap to get that opossum that keeps coming round the home-site. The results will be so worth it.

One more super tricky part left, three fiddly bits, and one tedious but easy part.

But first some lunch.

Comment

i love doing home improvement projects and I love that Mark considers housework to be a form of exercise - allbeit movement. I love it. I am loving this lifestyle already!
      Primal since March 5, 2012
      SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

Opposum caught- roasting over the fire

It was very satisfying to get my project done. The feeling of accomplishment really can't be beat.

Yesterday:
        Up at 5:30
        Vitamins

8:20 2 1/2 bacon
        2 eggs fried in
        butter

12:45 2 slices meatloaf with
        mustard
        2 C leftover veges heated in
        olive oil

3:45 apple
        almond butter
        rotisserie chicken leg

6:00 tilapia dipped in
        egg, then coated with
        coconut flour, salt, pepper, dill, ginger and fried in
        butter topped with
        shrimp
        coconut milk
        lemon juice
        lettuce
        buttermilk ranch dressing

Bed at 8:30 (fell asleep on the couch!)

No sun time, no exercise besides wrestling with floor trim

Had four meals yesterday, when I turned my snack into a meal by adding a chicken leg. I just looked at my apple and almond butter, and said, 'nope, that isn't going to do it.'

Comment

A non-primal issue- or is it?

My family is middle-class. We live in the suburbs, my husband works and I am a stay-at-home mom with the odd side-job. We are VERY lucky.

But we are also surrounded by people who are doing much better than we are.

Lately, I have just been envious. This does not fit in with my self-image, so I've been feeling down about my 'pettiness'.

I've tried to redirect my emotions, by telling myself, 'what you envy, is what you want. Go after it,' but there is just no way. We have lost 1/4 of our income over the past two years, and our last period of unemployment wiped out our savings. Getting kids through college is the main priority, but it doesn't magically turn off the desire for a better vehicle, buying treats, having a vacation.

Sigh.

Ten thousand years ago, there was probably not much a person couldn't want, and get, if they worked at it, environment allowing. The tasks that needed to be performed to get the things you wanted, were all attainable by just about everybody. I have a few 'survival' type skills: I know I could learn and get proficient at any others I chose to, given the time.

Society now is so much more complicated. The investment in learning skills is such that I cannot be my own plumber AND electrician AND roofer AND car builder AND professor. I must choose.

Every money-making opportunity cuts down on other opportunities. My family has gained a lot by having me at home. But when the economy is scary, having one income gets more stressful. We are no longer certain that a job can be found anytime.

How did primal man deal with envy? I have no desire to slay my friends (or enemies) to take their goods. I cannot build the things I envy. I am unwilling to give up that of my time which is benefiting my family.

So, I guess, I just need to suck it up. Look on the bright side. Be grateful.

I still wish I had a car that got more than 12 miles to the gallon.
          Last edited by Sabine; 03-07-2012, 08:43 AM. Reason: Spelling!!

Comment

This should help. I hope... I tend to find that when I'm feeling like I can't get ahead a little perspective helps.

Global Rich List
            SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333
            Current Weight as of Nov 25 2015: 248
            Short Term Goal: Fit into the shirts I got on my honeymoon at disney and universal in august next year when I go back to for my 1 year anniversary
            Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension
            Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
            Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Comment

Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
              I don't have a journal yet. I'm struggling to find a title that I'll enjoy. lol

I'm the same way. I've wanted to tell people over and over again that this approach is bad or that approach is ineffective and they should try a different approach, but when I don't stick to the approaches I'm advocating, it's hard for them to take me seriously - which is precisely why I haven't reached for any nutrition certification or coaching certification or anything like that b/c who's going to take a fat trainer seriously? ya know?
              Originally posted by Sabine View Post
              Jenn, thanks for reading.
              I'm very jazzed that someone was attracted by the title of my journal. I tend to be verbally enthusiastic when I find out something that interests me, and I can go on and on. Not such a good impression when I am still eating crap and pudging around.
              One of my little fantasies is that someday, when I am fit and healthy, people will ask me how I did it, and THEN I can talk like crazy. It is very hard keeping it low key, but I am also the type of person who does well with secrets. Having it bubbling inside me gives me extra energy, I think. So I am trying to think of living primally as a delicious secret, ripening with age, that I can spring on people later.
              Do you do a journal?
              Thought I'd let you know that I did start a journal today. It's called My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner. I look forward to getting your feedback.

Comment

Jenn, that's great. I hope you find it as useful as I have. I'll be sure to check it out.
                Ecks, you humble me.

Comment

"Our deepest fear..."

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."
                  -Marianne Williamson

So, I was in the bath today. Just got in, still standing, and I decided the water was too hot, so I bent forward to turn on the cold tap. There's a mirror across the room, and I could see myself in profile. My back was horizontal (mostly) so my stomach fat was hanging down, as is its wont. I sort of chuckled to myself, then sucked in. My fat went up 3 inches!

I said, 'Wow! I've got some muscles!'

I have no stomach muscles to speak of, and yet they are still strong enough to pull fat up by three inches. What could they do if I gave them some work and improved them? I could probably bounce quarters off them!

I am the top of the evolutionary ladder, and yet what am I doing with my gifts? Sitting around fat and lazy. Am I really so afraid of what I could do, and don't, that I mask it with fat and inaction?

More things to ponder in the tub.

Also, what's up with the new posting method? Is that normal, not having the little box at the bottom right of the screen, or have I done something wrong? I had to use the 'reply to thread' box at the bottom left instead, and put it the mystery code. Any info from those in the know would be appreciated.

Comment

I used to have quick reply too and now it's gone. Not sure. I hope it goes away soon though b/c right now the image is broke on my screen...

Congratulations on discovering abdominal muscles! That's great!

I love that quote. I'm terrified by what I can do if I'd just give it a shot. But, more than that, I'm scared of failure, so I tend not to even attempt things.

BTW, I quoted you (paraphrased, actually) you in my most recent journal entry.

Comment

In Which I Forget to Eat

Doing my usual things yesterday, getting the kids to school, chores, reading journals on MDA. Started feeling a little hungry, so I looked at the clock. 11:00! How did that happen? I'm usually eating by 9:00, and often hungry well before then.

In the afternoon, same thing. I only ended up with two meals yesterday. It may just be balancing out the four of the day before, but still, very strange.

Here's the data:
                      Vitamins

11:20 1 slice meatloaf with
                      mustard
                      1 tilapia fillet fried in
                      butter
                      1/2C greens (canned)
                      2/3C blueberries with
                      2T coconut cream

5:00 2 lettuce leaves with
                      chicken salad
                      (mayo, marjoram, celery)
                      1 slice meatloaf with
                      mustard
                      3T coconut cream
                      1 t almond butter

Bed at 8:30
                      15 min of raking leaves
                      20 minutes of walking - human pace
                      10 minutes of walking - dog pace

A bunch of leftovers. Maybe my brain knew nothing new was coming, and warned my body not to get too excited? Well, it is sashimi for lunch today, so get ready for a treat!

Comment

Early and under-budget

I'm a big believer in the folklore that the human body can cure itself of most small things in three weeks. (Or sooner!) So I try to give any change at least three weeks before I consider that it is not working.

It has been two weeks since my last crazed, non-primal gorging.

In that time:
                        ten days since my last heartburn
                        no more heart palpitations(you know, besides the ones keeping me going)
                        good energy
                        strange abdomen pains gone
                        mood good again- no more pit of despair, just some grumpies
                        starting to feel energetic- some living room dancing, etc.

Go, body! I'll try to treat you right from now on.

Comment

Great post! I'm glad to see you're feeling better again (even though I wasn't here when you were feeling poorly).

Comment

Glad you're already feeling so much better. I like your three-week rule! I'm slowly but surely learning to be more patient and respectful of the way my body wants to work.
                            Starting weight: 225
                            Current weight: 195
                            Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
                            Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
                            My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Comment

My first Spambot!

They say you always remember your first.

Michael37, you will always hold a special place in my heart.

Now, begone!

Comment

Patience is primal

Waiting in the bushes for the rabbit to hop closer, twirling the bow until you get smoke, walking and walking and walking to get anywhere. Giving yourself a month to see results.

Well, okay, just one week since I last weighed in.

But I want to know!!! I'm feeling thinner. Can't I just peek?

There are benefits to not having a scale in the house.

Yesterday:

Vitamins

11:45 1 1/2 plates of sashimi
                                1 piece chicken teriyaki
                                1/4 C rice
                                1/2 creme brulee
                                3 strawberries

6:00 beef stroganoff made with
                                onion
                                garlic
                                butter
                                beef
                                multi-stock (made with beef, pork, chicken, and lamb bones)
                                mushrooms
                                sourcream
                                greens casserole made with
                                kale
                                swiss chard
                                olive oil, butter
                                onion
                                cream
                                parmesan (whoops, wasn't supposed to have cheese this month- negligible amount, say, 1T)

Again with just two meals. But kind of on purpose this time, as I never eat breakfast before I go out for sashimi (must take advantage of the all you can eat!) and then I was just too full to have a snack mid-afternoon, and if you're full, why bother? I was even thinking of skipping dinner, but I had just the tickle of hunger by the time it rolled around (thank goodness, because I was stirring the stroganoff all afternoon, and I had not even been hungry for it, well!) so I went for it.

Today I expect to be more of a normal day, as I will be eating breakfast before I go out with a friend to the Dallas Quilt Show. Several hours of walking around, and I am not going to risk being trapped in a public space where no outside snacks are allowed on an empty stomach. So, eggs, bacon, and some greens. Yum.

No activity yesterday, just a lot of driving and sitting. A cold front swept in while I was eating lunch, bringing us down to a frigid 48 (yes, I know that's not REALLY cold, but it is all relative) so I cozied on the couch with my dogs (getting up every seven minutes to stir the stroganoff- but I don't think that counts as activity).

Comment

Working...
                                X