No announcement yet.

Show, then aid - Sabine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm envious that you can garden already, though admit that I don't miss your summers!!!
    -- Ruth

Comment

• Hey, what's up on the writing front? Anything you can share?
      -- Ruth

Comment

• I wish there were more CSAs- in my area, and generally. They are such a great instrument for so many good things- eating seasonally, eating locally, supporting farmers and small business, community spirit, and on and on.

Got to take the bad with the good, I guess, though we don't let that keep us from complaining about the intense summers. Last summer was suspiciously mild(for us), and the winter also, so I think the whole area is waiting for the other shoe to drop.

My late tomato seedlings have been flooded out three times. If they make it, these will be some hardy plants!

I'm plugging away on the writing, mostly trying to get it into submission format and check my quality. And build my confidence. I am a big weenie when it come to submitting material.

Dinner tonight: lamb fry-up, with leftovers from last night's roast plus mushrooms and onions.

Comment

• eeeeee, lamb, yum! My Grandfather used to roast a lamb for special occasions. He would pick one up at auction and it would live on the farm for a while, then he would slaughter and process it, and he had a big brick oven over the hill and ever 2 hours through the night he would go down and turn the spit (no electricity over the hill) and it was amazing. I rarely chance eating lamb anymore because it could not come close to that flavor. I miss it.
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Wow, what a lot of yard work! Digging, chipping, mulching, hauling. My muscles are aching, but my spirit is satisfied.

Also got the prom dress for Littlest done with a day to spare. She was happy with it, and she looked fantastic in it. (Nine layers to the skirt!!) She and Boyfriend had a good time, going out to a churrascaria to eat, and doing movie and popcorn afterward. I was happy to pack up all the sewing leftovers. Doing clothes is not my forte. Those sleeves caused MUCH anxiety. Give me the nice, flat piecing of quilts anytime. Speaking of which, I need to get started on her college quilt. She wants a wholecloth whitework quilt. More challenges. but a pleasant one, this time.

My father-in-law is continuing apace. It has been almost three months now, since his stroke. The doctor told us six months out would give us a good idea of how many of his facilities he would regain/retain. Fingers crossed, and hard work ahead, keeping him engaged with his therapies. It is difficult, when he wants to sleep so much.

I'm fasting today, and looking forward to cauli-cakes with pork chops and salad from the garden tomorrow.

Comment

• we heal when we sleep, also I would think it would be less work for you if he is asleep
              Chris
              "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
              Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• The more healing the better! The hardest part is not being able to run my errands the way I am used to. I am back to making a weekly menu, and doing one huge shop per week. Not my preferred method, but necessary right now. We are trying to get him to the point where he is able to walk to the library and back, but it is slow going.

Making fried rice for the family tonight, with Chinese food leftovers, plus some lamb roast and veggies. I will dine off the smell.

Comment

• ah, I understand. I am having a similar issue with having 2 jobs right now as the transition works itself out. I am not generally well organized and having to do a weekly menu, while it lowers my stress on a daily basis, is a major pain.
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• Dodged the bullet of a third hailstorm. Very thankful.

I made cauli-tots for dinner last night, to go along with pork chops and salad. Man, I love those things. They are great cold as a snack, too.

The first pea pods are appearing in the garden, and I am watching my tomato blossoms with great anticipation.

Comment

• Cauli-tots recipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum
                      Female 55
                      Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                      Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• yep, I would like the recipe as well.
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

• Tuesday's blog post makes me want to find some sand dunes to climb. (Or sprint.)

Cauli-tots recipe, slightly tweaked:

Cook 4 slices bacon, and chop into small bits.
                          In the drippings, saute
                          1-1 1/2 lb cauliflower, grated
                          about 1 bell pepper, diced
                          with
                          1t garlic powder
                          1/2t salt
                          1t pepper
                          until lightly browned. Let cool.

Stir in
                          4 egg yolks
                          1/2C almond flour

Form into patties by pressing approx 1/4 - 1/3 cup of the mixture into a muffin pan which has a plastic bag pulled over it(so you can easily pop out the patties).

Place on parchment paper or GREASED foil.

Cook at 400degrees, 35-40 minutes, turning once.

These are patties, but we still call them tots. If you want to go small with a dough scoop, experiment with the cooking time and temperature. They need to be slightly crispy on the outside. The inside will still be pleasantly moist.

I'm afraid I no longer remember where I got this, so I cannot attribute the original source.

Comment

• Yum! More work than I am probably going to be willing to do these days, but sounds GREAT!
                            -- Ruth

Comment

• Show, then aid - Sabine

Thanks for this, very well timed! I has a large container of cauli needing a good use - delicious. I just spooned them onto a silicone baking mat and flattened them slightly, they came out great. Oh, and I used Bobs Red Mill gluten free mix instead of almond as that is what I have. Will definitely make these regularly. Will probably add hot sauce too!
                              Last edited by The Walrus; 04-29-2016, 04:57 PM.
                              My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• I may actually give those a try, since Trader Joes now sells "riced" cauliflower. I hate cutting up cauliflower and broccoli, so much mess.
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X