Show, then aid - Sabine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished!

Everything cleaned up and put away, food neatly placed on the shelves, plenty of space for future expansion.

Next I will tidy my clothes. I have said I don't have very many, but I am sure that I will find some things that no longer spark joy.

But first...a little rest.

Comment

• I'd fight the dogs for the spam and sardines!
      My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• I'm pretty sure they would all submit to you, Walrus. You have the leader personality. No need to fight. Just look at them, and nod slightly, they'll be rolling over at your feet.

I broke the fast yesterday evening. Reason: Super Bowl. (Hangs head.) Yes, I want to snack during the Super Bowl.

I broke it with sweet potato-ham soup and some black bean-cucumber-tomato-corn-olive salad. There was a little intestinal excitement, but nothing too bad. Warning: Poop talk ahead. The last stuff in my intestines, that had been waiting for a little meal-activated peristalsis to come out, certainly did. (Is that the right way to use peristalsis? I can't think if there is another word for the activity that occurs in your bowels after a meal.)

Not feeling hungry this morning. Remembered to drink my solé water this morning. I made the solé in one of my Sparkler jars. A friend gave it to me several years ago as a Christmas present, with brownie mix inside. It is quart sized, with a lovely red ceramic lid, held on by wire hinges.

The friend I loaned 'Magic' to, read it. She texted me after saying she could look around her house and see so many things that didn't spark joy. She started by just grabbing the obvious anti-joy items, and putting them in a go-away box. Then she folded all her t-shirts. It cleared up about 1/3 more space in her drawers. Plus, she found a few ts to toss. The Magic is rippling outward across North Texas.

Rather than do the bookshelves after the food shelves yesterday, I rewarded myself with a little tidying. Took out ALL my outer clothes. Including my 2 coats and my evening gown. Handled each piece. Even tried on a few(Some things spark joy when you look at them, and touch them, but when you put them on, they are just wrong. Bye-bye joy.). Results:
        Starting with 70 items(I confess, more than I thought I had.) I found 16 that no longer spark joy. Out they went. One pair of purple shorts are destined for Middlest's rug. The rest went to the thrift store. I now have 54 items.

There are a few of temporary joy. Some items I love, but which are no longer right. As I replace them, they will leave to bring joy to someone else. My evening gown is too big. And I would like a different color from black. But I do love it. It will stay until it is either just ridiculously too big, or I find a new, colorful one. My winter sweater is staying for now. It is warm and cozy and fun. But it is also big and baggy. I want something sleeker for next winter. I am reaching the point where I feel more comfortable with sleek.

While I was pulling all my miscellaneous out of the closet to build shelves, I found a joyful box just right to keep my nightstand items in, instead of the plastic bin I had been using. Quick switcheroo, which made my nightstand prettier.

In the evening, I watched the fights with Honey, then fell asleep as soon as he switched to Chopped. He tried to get me to go to bed when he did, and I had the best intentions to follow him, but my body just wouldn't cooperate. I woke up at eleven with dachshunds all over me, and finally managed to stagger to bed.

Woke up beautifully rested at 5:31. Good morning world.

Comment

• The magic could meet up north of Houston!
          Female 55
          Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
          Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• I envision maps of the USA and Australia, with expanding circles.

Bought a few more items for my food storage while I was grocery shopping this morning. Now that it is all organized, I can easily see what is lacking. And what I have too much of(Took that extra can of refried beans for our 7-layer dip today.).

Comment

• We used to keep food and water stored for hurricane type emergencies. Well the first year we filled the water containers and stored them in the rafters in the garage. By the end of the season they leaked, slowly releasing their contents all over my car and everything in the garage. For the next season we just decided to keep the tub well scrubbed, and always have bleach on hand, and would just fill it as the hurricane got closer. Then we also noticed that even canned goods have expiration dates on them. So we just decided from then on that basically I always have enough food in the house to make it a week, and storing cans was not worth the effort. And of course the big thing is, with the kids being small, we would have gotten the hell out of dodge had we actually been threatened with a hurricane. Now that the kids are away, we don't worry so much about it.
              Chris
              "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
              Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Sabine, I do like your Pinterest boards on preparedness. I have learned a lot from them. Thank you!
                Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• We have a natural gas generator that runs the downstairs. So we can use oven and microwave. Plus the toaster oven and slow cooker. The stocked freezer serves two purposes.
                  Female 55
                  Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                  Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Living where I do, preparedness is never far from my mind. A rural area with limited shops, at the end of a peninsula with one main road. Harsh and unpredictable weather. Yep, I always have the makings of a few meals in the pantry. We have a generator, however if the shops are closed (not an infrequent event) I can't buy food. Therefore I always have the makings of a few meals in the pantry. We have a well, so water is not a problem - as long as the pump has pressure I have water. With just me and judicious use, the pressure lasts for days. A family would be different, of course. However, I always have ten gallons tucked away. I just rotate it. Luckily I can manually light the propane burners in the stovetop, although I don't use them normally - I have two induction burners that are much better. But I can have hot food and drinks, a real plus on a cold, dark evening. Also I have several powerful LED lanterns that are good enough to read by. A radio with a battery. My car can charge my phone whether or not it is running.

The pets, of course, require the own preparations.

I'm sure there is a lot of stuff I haven't thought of, but that's it for now.

Comment

• Originally posted by honeybuns View Post
                      Sabine, I do like your Pinterest boards on preparedness. I have learned a lot from them. Thank you!
                      Oh, thank you, I'm glad you like them.

I am trying to be prepared for some of the most common emergencies our family has had, or might encounter.

Loss of power for several days in HOT weather.

Loss of power for several days in ICY weather.

Needing to leave the home hurriedly for an unspecified period of time because of gas leak in the neighborhood.

Job loss.

Loss of (clean)water in our area.

Even a major disaster, need to barricade in place or get out of Dodge to our friend in the country, kind of thing.

Some of the stuff I am learning about is really fun(flowerpot fridges and rocket stoves), interesting(heating water in black plastic bags for showers), practical(have food and water on hand), or weird(how to hide valuables in case of looters!).

I've got some of the basics, but there is always more to learn.

My next big item is getting a generator. We have had long outages three times now, in the last five years. It is a safe bet that it will happen again sometime.

Comment

• LOL. I had always thought your prepardness board was book research

You guys have certainly spurred the KonMarie movement. I really like the notion of joy. Who cares if one of my favorite dresses is 30 lb from now? It's a classic cut, will look phenomenal when I get there, and brings me great joy. On the other hand, I have a pair of jeans that technically fit, but don't make me feel good AT ALL. In the Goodwill bag they go. A much nicer solution than "have you worn it in the last 3 months" or "do you have X many items".
                        -- Ruth

Comment

• I just had an idea for a book. Woman who lives on isolated peninsula invites internet friends to come live with her in case of apocalypse. Hahahah. Then there is an apocalypse. So - story of how each friend with their family makes their way to Woman. And then what it is like when they get there. And how they build a new society.

Woman is now off to buy lots of sardines and tuna and water.

Comment

• Hope we'd do better than this chap I quit my job to set up a post-apocalyptic commune | Society | The Guardian
                            I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• I think Stephen King probably has you beat...
                              Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                              My Latest Journal

Comment

• We just upgraded our generator to an electric start. For many years we have had a pull start but with Hondo's bum shoulder and my less than ideal upper body strength it was just time. We have been through at least five multiday outages, four of which were accompanied by lots of snow. I know there will be others so it was time.
                                Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                                X