No announcement yet.

Show, then aid - Sabine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll tell you a place we need to go through: our digital files. It's just so easy to save and save and save, but not really have a good handle on what we have and where...............
    -- Ruth

Comment

• The and where is what gets me every time.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
        The and where is what gets me every time.
        Exactly. One of the hardest rules of Konmari is gathering everything from one category into a central location. For me, that would be going through my whole house(Which is maybe the idea, but I physically will not do it. However, now that areas are beginning to get clearer, it is within the realm of possibility. Littlest went into the garage for the first time in the week, and was struck by how clear it looked. I would say, two more categories, and we could walk freely in there[not turning sideways]. that will really facilitate FINDING everything in a category.)

It felt good to go through all those computer CDs. They were in a box all jumbled up- we wouldn't have been able to find what we wanted in any case. Now they are neatly arrayed in two shoeboxes, AND...I know where the shoe boxes are.

The files ON the computer can wait for the very end, though.

On my mind this morning:

Honey loves the crispness of fresh sheets on the bed. Up until the birth of Littlest, I changed the sheets every day. Since then, my habit has been to fold down the bedclothes to air, and then make the bed at around 10am. This morning, Honey and I were talking while he was in the bathroom, and I found myself making the bed for something to do with my hands. I must say, when I looked back on leaving the room, I felt a strong sense of satisfaction in having the bed made. It felt like I was ready to take on the world. But I was a little perturbed by the idea of non-aired sheets. Maybe I should go back to the fresh sheets every morning. It would be the best of both worlds. Except for more laundry. But with this new tidiness, I might be able to incorporate that into my routine. I won't be rummaging through things. That has to save at least ten minutes per day, right?

Comment

• I just bought a set of new sheets for our bed. Had not done this in years and ended up not having a complete set. So I actually researched sheets, spent what felt like a fortune. All this to say they stay nice and crisp for nearly the whole week, though I did get an extra set of pillowcases and we do air it out before it gets fixed. But Honey fixes it as he leaves for work so they only get aired out for a couple of hours. Maybe you could change pillowcases daily and sheets every other day?
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I am finding that I have loads of time for things that are important to me instead of just treading water, trying to keep my head above the piles that seemed to grow every time I looked away. For one thing, I have found time to brush the felines every day. They love this, and obviously it makes them happy, and it makes me happy to make them happy. Also the positive effect of much, much less hair floating around and less hair in their tummies.

So what I'm getting at - try changing the sheets every day and see how it goes. You can always dial back.
            My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Busy most of the day, doing some stuff for a friend. I got the ingredients for Sweet Potato-Maple-Mustard-Ham soup into the crockpot before I began, so dinner for Honey and Littlest was easy-peasy. Yay, crockpots! It was my second day on a longer fast, so I just sipped some water and talked. Then I treated myself to a long, relaxing bath.

The manuscripts have been dragged into the livingroom, but I am feeling no urge to get into them. I have to stay up late for Littlest's bowling practice, so we'll see if I get fired up a little later on. I'm not going to force it.

Comment

• I opened up the first manuscript box and realized, "I am not ready for these yet." Closed them up, and went to the hall closet instead, and tidied hats, gloves, scarves, mittens, totebags, and bug-out bag contents. Threw away a lot of the junk that had accumulated in that area.

This morning I hauled out all the recycling from the past two days. Our bin is half full already.

I think non-fiction books will be good for this evening. And I can start gathering all the kids' books, for sorting into piles for them to decide. Littlest is on hand, of course; Middlest can do hers next time she comes up; and Eldest can do his by Skype. Even if they keep every one of them, it will be better to have them all in one zone.

I have found a few more fiction books as I've been going through things. I am NOT following the Konmari rule of, 'if you didn't gather it for your tidy, out it goes.' My front room is just too jumbled for that. I had plans for making an eventual second sweep, when I had fewer things to look through, and it would be practical for me to actually find everything in a category. But as I have come across these books, I have been finding it easy to ask, 'Does it spark joy' and putting them on the shelf (or pile, for the paperbacks) or putting them in the discard box. I am not WANTING to just thrust them back onto a shelf to 'get them out of the way'. Interesting.

Loaned 'Magic' to a friend yesterday. I hope she had time to read it last night so we can discuss over our labors today.

Comment

• Timed myself this morning. Stripping the bed, and remaking it in a leisurely fashion(enjoying smoothing everything out, a la Konmari) takes 11 minutes.

Comment

• every system must be adapted to your own tastes and needs, I can't see getting rid of something just because you didn't find it in the first sweep and it makes perfect sense to ask if it brings you joy or not as you find it.

Well 11 minutes seems totally doable, especially if it brings you joy.
                    Chris
                    Unknown

Comment

• I know I will enjoy slipping between clean, crisp sheets tonight, that's for sure. Too much standing today- I am looking forward to being horizontal.

Comment

• A little light-headedness on this, the third fasting day. But no hunger. Hunger is so funny. You'd think after 67 hours with no food, I would be ravenous. Nope.

Comment

• For me on fast days, most often what happens is that the first bite of food triggers the idea that yep I am hungry and I really need to work to pay attention to not start shoveling it in.
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

• Yes, the taste of food definitely makes me want more. However, less so, the fewer carbs that are involved.

Comment

• I find that refined carbs definitely cause a problem. Not so much from fruits or veggies though.
                              Chris
                              Unknown

Comment

• On Monday and Tuesday, I do a higher "fast" day (okay, well, just started again this week). Tuesday is always easier than Monday. Go figure.
                                -- Ruth

Comment

Working...
                                X