No announcement yet.

Show, then aid - Sabine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone I follow on Pinterest just posted a board of: Books from my Childhood. I do NOT need to see that this morning!

Comment

• that would be deadly. I could see myself trying to replenish the ones I remember as I see them on that board.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I saw the first one, started thinking, 'ooh, I'd like to read that,' and came to my senses, clicking away. I have enough books I want to read, without looking for more!

I have twenty Dick Francis books. (In paperback. I know there are more in the hardcovers.) I am only going to keep the ones that spark joy. If they are just okay, I can always get them from the library when I want to read them again. Right? Please, let that be right. This is scary.

Dick Francis holds a special place in my heart. I still remember the first one I read, 'In the Frame'. It came as a Reader's Digest Condensed book. (My dad got these. They arrived every couple of months, [four or five novels, condensed down to 120-150 pages], to my great glee when I was a kid.) I think I was about 8 when I read it. Loved it. Then, when I was about 13, I read a blurb about the author, of how he transitioned from being a jockey to being a writer. I think it was the first time it occurred to me(I know, I'm not that bright) that you could DECIDE to be a writer, and then...just go ahead and write! Mind blowing. So, when I pick up a DF book, there's a lot more in my hand than just a BOOK.

Do you get a sense that I am avoiding that pile of books? Must remember Walrus and the third drawer, and just DO IT!

Comment

• I now have 14 DF books. One was falling apart, and went to recycling. One had only be read once, years ago, and went to the be read shelf(found one in the sewing room), and four went to the HPB box. The hard part was steeling myself to do it. Once I sat down, it took fewer than five minutes.

Comment

• Agatha Christies:
            30 kept
            5 recycled
            16 off to HPB

Wow, I did it. Got through that category. My shelves are so stuffed that there is no good place to put these back, but I still feel heartened. As though I can do some more.

Comment

• Took the books to HalfPriceBooks AT ONCE, to stop from slipping into reading any of them. Received $19.50. Very nice.
              Last edited by Sabine; 01-23-2015, 02:27 PM. Reason: more positivity, less negativity, even in small things!

Comment

• Way to stick to you guns!
                Chris
                "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Got the sock darned.

Comment

• I love DF also - read so many of his books. But I don't own any now, not sure why not.

Remember the Third Drawer. Always.
                    My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Remember, the library will *always* either have a good stock of DF or be able to order it for you. Did you know he was the Queen Mother's favourite author?
                      I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• I knew that! And the famous story of her horse, Devon Loch. (My own grandmother practically worshipped the Queen Mother, having seen her visiting the rubble in the East End decked out in ruffles and high heels.) Actually I think that is why I don't have any of his books - for some years my criteria for keeping a book has been its availability from the library.

(Sneaking out of Sabine's journal...)

Comment

• I didn't know he was the Queen Mother's favorite author. And my curiosity is piqued by any mention of a famous story. Must investigate...

Have either of you read any of the collaborations between DF and FF(his son) or the stand alones by FF? He has a different style, much influenced by his father, but with his own flavor. I have enjoyed some of them, but none of them made it to the Sparkler pile.

I found space on my shelves to put back the hardcover books. The paperbacks remain in a large pile in the livingroom. Next category will be non-fiction. It's going to be a doozy.

I started reading one of the to-be-read books, realized it was not enjoyable, and put it directly in the go away pile.

This morning, I will be tidying my yarn stash. (Yes, this is separate from my sewing room. And from yarn projects in progress. Baby steps here, people, baby steps.)

Comment

• I've reread her ideas on books several, they really speak to me. About reading a book so well the first time that rereading is unnecessary - being in the moment while reading. There will always be favorites that I will reread from time to time, but really most of the books I read are one-time-only. I should not be reading with the idea that I can or will reread it. I should enjoy it and absorb it so that rereading is strictly for joy, not because I missed anything. Also, there are so many wonderful new books available EVERY DAY. EVERY DAY. We are fortunate to live at a time when books are cheap and plentiful and many more writers can get their work to us. Why do I need a pile of TBR books? The whole world is a TBR book!

Well, of course I will always have a stack of books waiting to be read. But it doesn't have to take up an entire bookcase, or a whole shelf.

Comment

• My to-be-read pile now fits on one small shelf(22"). I think this is a good size for me, as I am a prolific reader, and I am glad that I chose a SPECIFIC place for them, a home.

I like her idea that once you have read it, the story is inside you, whether you remember it or not. It has done its part to shape you.

Just finished going through the yarn. I am keeping 21 balls/skeins, and gifting away 37. I also went through my loose patterns, and kept only five items from a large jumbled scrap heap of paper. Those items I put immediately into my knitting patterns binder, so I can find them when I want them. Crochet hooks and metal knitting needles were tidied as well. All discards went to the rather large pile of items I will be bringing for my friends to choose from. They are going to be gob-smacked.

My yarn and such was stored in two under-bed plastic boxes, about 215" x 30" x 6". And they were rather bulgy. Everything fits into one now, with room to spare.

There is one item that I am having a dilemma over. It will just take some time to figure out, as there are conflicting emotions attached to it. It is set aside for another, stronger time.

Comment

• I literally have no yarn stash left. Every time Dudla comes home she scrounges for yarn to make gifts with. All I have right now is the yarn for the 2 projects that are in progress. I generally have a rule that I am not allowed to start a new yarn project until I have finished the one I am working on. However, while I was working on an absolutely beautiful shawl for myself, I stopped to make a lap blanket for my dad, but when dad passed I decided to finish it for my son, but I had to frog it almost to the start to fix all the mistakes that my speed in trying to finish it in time caused. I also decided to use all the yarn I had to turn it into a comforter as opposed to a lap blanket. I will finish it in time for Boo's birthday next weekend. But still won't be able to get to the shawl, because I have the twins blankets to knit, they are due in the summer sometime. Then I will get back to the shawl.
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X