Show, then aid - Sabine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
    ... In bed, I only sleep, well mostly ...

I am stopping on the way home to pick up the feng shui de-cluttering book.
    I like to read before I go to sleep, so I HAVE to have my books, right? Plus, I might get a brilliant idea (or even a boring one) in the middle of the night, so I NEED pen and paper. Pictures of my kids and my father, so I can look at them before going to sleep(Honey is right next to me, so no picture needed). Water, so I don't have to get up if my throat is dry in the middle of the night. Cream, and chapstick, and mints: ditto. The dogs' water, so they won't drink mine!

I am always nervous that if I put stuff in drawers I will forget about it, and just end up with duplicates (or triplicates) on top of a dresser anyways.

I am getting some good stuff from the Feng Shui book. More mainstream than Magic, but some good points. And she has many more categories than Konmari, which is good for me, I think. Otherwise, my miscellaneous category would be just too big!

Comment

• I have a chest of drawers/dressing table next to my side of the bed. I use the top drawer as my stuff drawer and inside are: current book, jewellery, kindle, wallet with not-in-constant-use cards and stuff, and I'm sure a few other bits and bobs that escape me now. Out on view is a lamp and a little blue-and-white ceramic pot with a pewter lid bought on a Greek island, which I like to look at. If I am in bed, my phone is face down next to me on the top of the dressing table (face down so that the flashing light doesn't bother me) as I use it as my alarm, also - often - the bra I have just worn (I tend to wear a bra for two days before it goes in the GENTLE wash, which is why I have two pairs of knickers for each bra). At the side of the bed, between it and the dressing table is my tablet.

Dear lord, I doubt even husband knows about my drawer innards...
      I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Interesting. Our light is out almost from the time we walk into the room to go to bed. The closet has a dressing area in front of it. I can't read before bed because I can't put the books down. I use my phone as my alarm as well and it is face down. I listen to a meditation as I go to sleep and in the process I effectively say goodnight to everyone, one at a time. This way I don't worry about them. I used to keep pen and paper by the bed but don't wake up in the middle of the night anymore.

To be fair, our bedroom is a pretty good size and we have a cedar chest in a window nook. That has photos on top, as does the small kidney desk on the other side of the room. The kidney desk also has an ornate leather diary, written in German, from Honey's great grandmother, along with a couple of other items from family members. I also have photos hanging on the walls.
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• My nightstand has Sheba (the first stuffed animal Geek got me, a panther) on it and my glasses if I'm asleep. My dresser has my purse dish (a dish i made in high school where I put my stuff from my purse when I get home) and the other 3 stuffed animals, as well as my phone (face down) if it's charging. My fitbit is my alarm and it's sleeve is on my dresser if I'm awake.
          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
          My Latest Journal

Comment

• Sabine, can I ask questions about cooking spiralized zucchini? If so:

Which blade do you use for making spaghetti-like zucchini? Most recipes I see call for blade C.

How long do you cook it? I've seen recipes that say saute in some type of oil for 2-3 minutes and then drain, add back to recipe. I've seen recipes that say if you add it back to a sauce, the sauce has to have most of the water cooked out first. I've seen recipes that say add it to liquids (for soup) and cook for 5 minutes. I've seen lots of warnings about sticking and about leftovers being mush which makes me think I should use raw zucchini every day - not difficult as it supposedly stays fresh spiralized in the fridge for 5 days...?

Most of the recipes say cook until al dente or until desired consistency, which drives me NUTS.

One more question, if you please. When you spiralize zucchini into ribbons (like to bake a casserole) how long do you bake the dish and at what temperature? Same temp as a recipe with regular pasta? I see 10 minutes on some recipes, and also to drain before serving.

Right this minute, I am craving zoodles, butter, and garlic salt. Oh my. 10 a.m.
            Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
            Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
            Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
            Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
            1-30-2014 - 157 (lowest weight since 2004)
            GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
            CW: 164 GW: 130-135 CBF%: 24.38
            49 - 5'7.5"
            Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• I'm not Sabine, but I can answer some of these. A zucchini is a very watery squash and some of the water will come out when you cut it. I would definitely only use with a thicker sauce. I do not really cook my zucchini when I use it as noodles. I zap it in the microwave to make it warm, but I don't saute it or cook it. It works well for us. Next day leftovers are a bit watery (b/c like I said above, zucchini is watery), but with a thick sauce, it's not a problem and by not cooking the noodles, they're not all that mushy.

I can't say for the blade as I use a Paderno and from what I remember, the blades are not labeled.
              Primal since March 5, 2012
              SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Thanks, jenn26point2 !

We are following the SCD/GAPS diet and they say absolutely no microwaving...
                GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
                49 - 5'7.5"
                Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• Originally posted by MsSmith View Post
                  Thanks, jenn26point2 !

We are following the SCD/GAPS diet and they say absolutely no microwaving...
                  Then just toss in the sauce for a minute to warm them up.
                  Female 55
                  Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                  Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Whaaaat? Well, in that case, I'd saute it with olive oil... odd.

Comment

• Thanks for the instructions for adding it raw/uncooked, you two.
                      GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
                      49 - 5'7.5"
                      Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• what if you did to it what I do to eggplant or cukes when I am trying to release extra moisture? Do the cutting then put them in a colander, sprinkle with salt and toss, let sit in a sink while the salt drains the liquid from the veggie. When liquid has drained (lets say 30 minutes or so, basically while cooking the rest of the meal), then rinse well with hot water (this will take care of the warming partand gets the salt off), pat dry with towels then add to the sauce.
                        Chris
                        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                        Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Thank you demuralist. You ladies have great ideas for using the spiralizer for raw veggies.

My daughter cannot have raw veggies at this point in the SCD/GAPS diet. She isn't supposed to have the seeds from squashes and cukes and stuff, so the spiralizer is really great for that, too

I just spiralized two zucchinis and they were like curly fries. I used the blade with the larger triangles (they are not labeled A, B, or C). I don't know how to spiralize veggies like straight pieces of spaghetti. Not sure that I need to or if it is possible...?

I made some chicken stock yesterday and I just made some marrow bone broth to add to that when DD gets hungry, and I will add the zoodles to that, with some other veggies and boiled chicken, for chicken zoodle soup. We are still in the soup stage but she can have other dishes - like eggs scrambled with veggies/chicken, chicken pancakes, bowls of squash, bananas, etc. She has always loved soup so that is a very good thing about this diet. I have thought about making egg muffins many times but it seems easier to just scramble all the ingredients together on the stove top. She can have other meats too, but they have to be boiled/stewed.
                          GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
                          49 - 5'7.5"
                          Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• Wow, hope it works! That sounds quite restrictive. Though most eating plans do when you look at what you 'can't' do. Unless salt is restricted, you could still use the method I described and just cook them afterward. Is there some direction as to how not raw they have to be?

I actually forgot that I had gotten myself a spiralizer. I am currently trying to stay local and in season, and zucchini are neither right now. But I could try it on the sweet potatoes we are getting in our CSA box weekly.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Use the one with LOTS of triangle blades. That will make your long skinny spaghetti like noodles.

How old is your daughter, MsSmith?

Comment

• I guess it is restrictive (compared to SAD and full-on primal) but no so much that it isn't doable, and it isn't tedious. So far, I have made 4 distinct soups that are delicious - two are chicken based, one is tomato and beef based, and one basically carrots and broccoli. All have bone marrow broth in them in addition to the broth base I started them off with. Things got a lot better for her last week (can't remember if that was week 3 or 4). Her appetite tripled and her talking doubled, and she was so happy and spunky. I haven't seen spunky on her since she was 2-3. Before we switched to GAPS/SCD she slept one night out of 5 and was in the fetal position for much of the time. That was on a GFCFSF diet, and she wasn't constipated. She had no other symptoms. She is 24.
                                GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
                                49 - 5'7.5"
                                Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

Working...
                                X