Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whew!

So far today:
    2 bags + a large piece of grotty foam + six binders of magazine clippings to the trash
    1 large box for the thrift store
    2 bags for my friends to pick through, leftovers to go to the thrift store

Not bad.

Also, watch some youtube videos of a lady who is working through the book, and documenting her progress and insights. Amazing what you can find on youtube.

Looked at the folding videos, but as I don't fold, they were of academic interest only. Interestingly, except for the last fold, and storing vertically, instead of horizontally, it is just like my father taught me to fold.

Comment

• Also, I noticed a lot of anxiety-eating. Plus, I started crying for my father at one point. Clutter has a lot of emotion tied up with it.

Comment

• I was just reading the KonMari book and wondering about the folding when I decided to take a break and check out your journal, Sabine. And what do I see? You Tube videos on folding! Of course! How fun to see this discussion here after finding it at The Walrus' journal just the other day. I love everyone's process. Tidying can be so isolating. You all have made it a group activity! How fun!

Does anyone else have piles of "skinny" pants they are lugging around waiting to fit into? I know most of them should go, but I want to know what they look like before I chuck them. I only have 20 pounds or less to go to be as thin as my body will healthily be. I guess I should start with my socks and tops and see how far I get on the 21 day challenge.
        “I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened.” ― Mark Twain

Writing on the Cave Wall - my Primal Journal

Comment

• I am just starting to get into the meat and potatoes of this method and I cannot wait to implement! I fully plan to drag my ironing board into my bathroom to properly fold my clothes (my master closet is in the bathroom, not the bedroom - works that way so DH and I don't wake each other digging for a shirt in a drawer). I believe I will start with the hanging clothes and then go drawer by drawer through my stuff. I have many many many brand new items hanging that I will likely never wear.

Question - what do we do with the wedding dress? I mean, it brings joy, but it has outlived it's purpose, right?
          Primal since March 5, 2012
          SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• It was warm enough today (mid 40s) to go for a walk down to the post office and library. I have gotten slower over the winter hiatus.

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
              Question - what do we do with the wedding dress? I mean, it brings joy, but it has outlived it's purpose, right?
              I will keep mine - it brings me joy and I still sometimes wear the corset - until I think that it would bring someone else more joy than it brings me. I have always intended on dying the skirt bit gold to make a ballgown rather than a wedding dress... but have yet to get around to it (12 years and counting).
              I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• I chucked all my wedding garb long ago, but that's a horse of a different color. Although for my first wedding, I wore an unbelievably beautiful heavy satin gown designed by - no kidding - Erté. My first husband's great-aunt, a woman of means, had it made for her wedding in 1926. I was not allowed to keep it, however this didn't concern me. What on earth would I do with it? And trust me, I wouldn't fit in it, not now, not ever again, and that is okay with me.

But that is all irrelevant. Does it bring you joy? When you touch it, does it thrill you? And seriously, will you use it? Will a daughter wear it?
                My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• I still have mine (the one in the picture I posted today). I'd love a future daughter-in-law to wear it, but perhaps it will be a granddaughter. It was the happiest day of my life and I love that dress. Cathedral length train with embellishment that showed thru the single layer of illusion attached to the Juliet cap. Unfortunately it's a size 2 with a strapless bra sewn in (the only way to ensure enough support. So I'm keeping mine.
                  Female 55
                  Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                  Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• My first husband's family was THRILLED when I wore that dress - they never dreamed anyone would come along that would fit into it and want to wear it. It had been worn in a couple of fashion shows but no one in the family was any kind of size that would work. I wonder what ever happened to it? I'll never know, I'm okay with that.

Comment

• At the time we (mom & I) picked it, dad was out of work. It was a designer (can't remember who) label and for 1983 we paid more than we really should have. It was the first one I tried on and we both knew it was the one!
                      Female 55
                      Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                      Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Originally posted by The Walrus View Post
                        ...for my first wedding, I wore an unbelievably beautiful heavy satin gown designed by - no kidding - Erté. My first husband's great-aunt, a woman of means, had it made for her wedding in 1926. ...
                        Wow! Any chance of a picture? Either you or the great-aunt? I love Erte.

Comment

• I have a pinched nerve, or some such, going on in my arm, and I am grumpy about it. It hurts, and is giving me weird tingles, and keeping me from sleeping in my normal position(which probably caused it), and making me think I should not knit, or twine, or type, or anything fun like that.

Grrr.

Comment

• Minutae

Cleaning the kitchen this morning, just cleaning, not tidying, but I realized that one of the items I wipe down every week serves no purpose, practical or joyful. No need to wait for the kitchen tidy: out it went.

Tested to see whether the toaster will fit into the cupboard, when I try the clear counter thing. It does.

The hose was frozen this morning. Waiting for it to thaw so I can water those beautiful cabbages. The tomato plant didn't make it through this last freeze, but it was a champ, up until the last, serving up a couple of tomatoes each week in December.

Dehydrating another batch of apples. Littlest and Boyfriend tore through the last batch.

Just about to enjoy a large cup of vegetable broth while I do some edits. Then, a hot epsom bath to soak my shoulder. Picked up a book from the library, 'Master of the Mountain: Thomas Jefferson and His Slaves', which looks interesting. (Yes, I read in the bath. Yes, library books. I am very careful and have never had an accident. And am ready to pay, if I ever do. I did have a water-bottle-in-the-tote-bag incident once. Sad, but I got to keep the book when they bought the replacement.)

Hoping to get my car back from the shop today. Fingers crossed. There was some suspension damage, as well, so it may trickle into another day of work.

Comment

• There are organizations around here that will take donated wedding dresses and turn them into burial gowns for premature and stillborn babies. I have considered doing this, but have a hard time with giving up the dress. Daughter might possibly be interested in wearing it, but it may be dated by then. It's a strapless A-line gown with a lot of beading. It wasn't meant to be strapless, but I made it that way. I don't have any burning desire for daughter to wear it, but if she wants to, she's more than welcome to it. But I have only taken it out of the garment bag one time since getting married. I can't remember if I tried it on when I hit 175 the last time or not... would be interesting to see if I can fit into it again when I get back down to 175. I suppose I'll hold onto it for a bit longer...

I hope your pinched nerve feels better soon, Sabine.
                              Primal since March 5, 2012
                              SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Well, when I get to tidying my photographs, which will be a few months from now (I don't even know where they are, in an album somewhere) I might find a photo. I don't think I have one that does the dress justice, however. The detail was incredible.

Comment

Working...
                                X