Show, then aid - Sabine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
    I was browsing around on Pinterest last night, and saw a decluttering post about COMPLETELY clearing your kitchen counters. Not even a toaster, or jar of wooden spoons left behind. I don't know if I would like it, but she challenged readers to try it for two weeks. Part of the post deals with finding spaces for your counter stuff within your cabinets. I am intrigued. After I do my kitchen tidy, I may give this a whirl.
    I HATE having things on my counter. You will not find a small appliance on my counter. They all have a home in a cupboard. When things are tidy in my kitchen, you will find a paper towel holder, a knife block, a box of klennex on my counters on one end of my kitchen. But because my kitchen is so large, I have like 20 foot of counter top, so on the other 12 foot or so, you'll find crafts my kids made at school - playdoh hand prints, and the like - on plate holders. But my counters are rarely spotless, much to my desire, b/c there is paper clutter EVERYWHERE.

One of my projects this year is to introduce feng shui to my house so, if I'm successful, the paper clutter will soon be a thing of the past.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• The discard pile is getting larger.

I am holding onto the idea that some things serve a different purpose in your life than you imagined. The awesome felt cushion may just be there to make you smile once or twice, and not be there for you to make into something, and HAVE FOREVER.

It is harder when Honey says of the blocks you are discarding, 'Maybe you could just incorporate them into something.' Um, yes, but MAYBE is the point. They don't fly in January. He has the same difficulty I do, but he hasn't read the book. Trying not to listen.

Comment

• Hence why I'm waiting for DH to go out of town for major de clutter/tidying
        Female 55
        Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
        Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• Konmari makes a good point about only discarding what belongs to us. Those blocks belong to you alone. Pitch them if you want.

I will have a ton to get rid of in just my stuff. I also kept a lot of my Mother's things that are not mementos. Can't wait until I have time to really get into this system.
          Primal since 9/24/2010
          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
          MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
            Konmari makes a good point about only discarding what belongs to us. Those blocks belong to you alone.
            I agree, but DH is a pack rat and has been known to go thru my personal discards and areas I am in charge of (kitchen, pantry, linen closet) and take stuff out to keep. So to avoid this, I will wait.
            Female 55

Comment

This is HARD.

I agree. I am facing the same overwhelming, daunting task. I have thinned the yarn down by donating to a Senior center but all the sewing stuff is looming over me. I have presser feet from my grandma's old machine, my mother-in-laws last two machines, my last two machines, my current two machines and they are all jumbled together. It does not help that I was raised by a woman who was raised by a woman who saved anything that might be useful. This is so hard and I have been avoiding it for far too long.
              Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• My craft area was reasonably easy once the kids went off to college, I could no longer say they might need it for a project when I really wanted it for myself. I did learn my lesson about getting rid of the hubby's stuff. When we first got married and I was trying to fit my clothes into the closet we shared, he had a lot of shirts that even if he could fit into them (and he couldn't) I would not be seen in public with him if he was wearing them. So I gave them away. He never noticed. Until about a year later, he was eating lunch with friends in the bagel shop and in walks a gentleman looking for monetary handouts. He was wearing one of the shirts and Honey recognized it. How could he possibly you ask? Well, his mother had made the shirts and they had a very distinctive pointy collar for flannel shirts. He wasn't really upset, thought it was funny actually, but I don't give away his stuff any more. One of the guys at the table is still a very good friend, and he brings it up often.
                Chris
                "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pedidoc View Post
                  I agree, but DH is a pack rat and has been known to go thru my personal discards and areas I am in charge of (kitchen, pantry, linen closet) and take stuff out to keep. So to avoid this, I will wait.
                  My husband helped me tidy my lingerie last weekend. I didn't get rid of much.
                  Primal since 9/24/2010
                  "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Comment

• Too funny, Chris.
                    Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

The discard pile is getting larger.

I am holding onto the idea that some things serve a different purpose in your life than you imagined. The awesome felt cushion may just be there to make you smile once or twice, and not be there for you to make into something, and HAVE FOREVER.

It is harder when Honey says of the blocks you are discarding, 'Maybe you could just incorporate them into something.' Um, yes, but MAYBE is the point. They don't fly in January. He has the same difficulty I do, but he hasn't read the book. Trying not to listen.
                      What book do you reference here? I went back a few pages and couldn't find a title.

I am in desperate need of visual decluttering. My house just feels SO FULL - even when it's clean and tidy. I have often wondered if my house is the reason for most of my anxiety. I feel it as soon as I walk through the door - and previously always assumed it was the kids and their demands, but I wonder if the anxiety I feel in our house is also felt by them, making them so demanding.

I've started reading Feng Shui and know that our house sucks for positive energy. I full intend to implement some major changes in our house in the coming months. I don't want the house to feel empty, but I don't want it to feel bloated either. I wonder if my sister-in-law would like to have a garage sale this spring... if not, I'll be making some heavy use of eBay for the valuable items, and the battered women's shelter for the less valuable but useful things.

I have GOT to get a handle on this anxiety and I truly feel most of it is caused by our home (and finances - but that's another issue all together). Maybe all this should be in my journal... lol

Anyway, what book did you read? Is there a website I can reference?

Comment

• I got turned on to it by The Walrus. She has led a whole gang of us into decluttering.

The book is: The Life-changing Magic of tidying Up by Marie Kondo. She calls her method the KonMari Method. It is a quick read, but with an unusual way of tackling clutter.

You can check out the last few weeks of The Walrus' journal for some of her insights and experiences, too.

I am definitely feeling some anxiety this morning, going through things. I am having to face the fantasies of what kind of person I am, as opposed to what kind of person I wanted to be/thought I was. Face it Sabine, you are NOT a weaver. Toss that stuff!!

Comment

• Yes, believe it or not, I have become the Queen of Decluttering. That book changed my life, no exaggeration. I am getting rid of so much baggage, both material and otherwise. Can't recommend it enough, I hope it helps you.
                          My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Something that Helped

I was having a very hard time with deciding to let go of some projects. They did not spark joy, but I had the feeling that I should finish them. I came up with the idea of listing them, and giving them deadlines, one per week, and if I didn't finish them then, I would toss them.

That is NOT the thing that helped.

I started listing them, along with the steps it would take to finish them.

Example:
                            Crocheted edging for green tank top with torn strap
                            Lay out motifs
                            Stitch motifs together
                            Stitch to tank
                            Fix torn elastic

While I was writing this down, I thought to myself, 'who am I kidding?!' and was able to toss the project.

It may be very worthwhile to 'rescue' this torn tank top...for someone else. Not for me. I was never going to do it. Or if I did, it would be just to get it done, not because I was enjoying it.

I DO NOT NEED TO SAVE/FIX EVERYTHING THAT COMES INTO MY LIFE.

Something about writing down everything that needed to be done to complete the project, and feeling the very decided feelings of non-joy as I was writing, made it easier for me to toss it.

Flush from the success of this, I went through my project scrapbooks, and reduced them by 80%.

Last edited by Sabine; 01-14-2015, 12:54 PM.

Comment

• Nice work!

I've seen a youtube video or two that she's posted - folding clothes was one of them, and I read something else about decluttering by deciding if the item brings you joy or not and I love the prospect. I will look into her book. Thank you, ladies.

Comment

• Found videos. Great demo of how to fold correctly.
                                Female 55

Comment

Working...
                                X