Show, then aid - Sabine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks, Ladies.

I tried out the dry shampoo. It is equal parts oatmeal powder, and arrowroot starch. (That's for light hair. The recipe for dark hair has you toss in some cocoa powder or cinnamon.) Rub a couple of tablespoons onto your scalp and into the base of your hair. Let sit for a few minutes. Then start brushing it out with a bristle brush. It takes a while to brush it out, and until it is gone, it IS noticeable. Looks like you've been through a dust storm. But it worked nicely. The excess oils are gone, and my hair is springy again, without having lost its gloss.

Well worth it.

Did I mention that I have started my booch batches up again? I got to sip on some yesterday, and I am planning another bottle for today. I think I have the different batches appropriately staggered now, to give me two bottles every few days.

The garden was DRENCHED in a rainstorm a couple of days ago, and has responded with a hefty growth spurt. Littlest will be having some home-grown lettuce in her lunch today. First harvest!

Comment

• Interesting. I might need the recipe.

I'm envious of the garden. And the booch.

What do you have planned for today?
      -- Ruth

Comment

• So jealous of the garden... I haven't even gotten mine tilled yet!
        Primal since March 5, 2012
        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• benefits of living in the south? a veggie harvest this early in the spring! Jealous.

Dry shampoo that needs to be brushed out will not work with my curls. I would end up looking like the muppet "Animal". There is also liquid dry shampoo (it is considered "dry" shampoo if it doesn't need a water rinse). I know that sounds idiotic, but it sprays on and does not need to be rinsed out, just brushed or towel buffed, might be easier to use.
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Sabine, sorry you have been going through it trying to help your kiddo. That can be so stressful - praying for wisdom for you and her! I am so inspired by your success with the ADF. I am realizing that two up days in a row is not going to work for me at the moment. It is enough to throw me off the routine. (aside from the fact that I have a LOT to lose) So going back to the drawing board and going to try doing it the other way. Easter threw me off but no time like the present to get back on track. Hoping you are feeling better this evening.
            Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
            Primal low: 186 lbs
            Current weight: 221.4 lbs
            Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• I am still trying to get used 4:3. Not the eating part, I can eat two days in a row, no problems. Rather, getting right back into a proper Down Day on Monday. But, I don't need to be perfect right away. (At least, I tell myself that!) This is a PRACTICE maintenance!

I had a good Down Day yesterday. Water and a bottle of booch. I had forgotten, since I gave up booch during my rotation diet trial, how easy it makes Down Days. Just a little sip now and then, and it really satisfies the MENTAL desire to have something.

Comment

• I think the mental is the worst part for me. And, if I'm tired and/or stressed, it seems like such an uphill battle.

Tell me again how you make the booch?
                -- Ruth

Comment

• oh it is all about the mental part isn't it. I have, in the past done week long fasts, with no problem. It is the first down day of the week (normally) that hangs me up.
                  Chris
                  "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                  Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• The first thing you need is a SCOBY(Symbiotic Colony Of Bacteria and Yeast). You can buy them online, get one from a friend, or grow your own* from a bottle of kombucha from the store(get a plain, raw, unpasteurized flavor).

Make 8 cups of black tea, sweeten it with 1 Cup of white sugar(this is what the SCOBY eats), and let it cool to room temperature.

Then pop your SCOBY plus 1 Cup of your prior batch of kombucha in with it, cover the top of the glass jar it is in with a paper towel/coffee filter/several layers of cheesecloth, secure with a rubber band, and let it sit, undisturbed at room temperature. Start checking(tasting!) after a week, but don't be surprised if it takes up to 3 weeks to ferment all the way.

Only use wooden or plastic utensils, not metal. It messes with the SCOBY.

Reserve the SCOBY and 1 Cup of the kombucha for your next batch, and pour the remainder into bottles. Add flavorings of your choice(fruit, lemon, ginger, cinnamon, cloves), cap, and let sit at room temperature for 2-4 days(this is to get some fizz- it works about half the time for me, but I like it both fizzy, and not). Then store in the fridge.

*To grow your own SCOBY, buy a bottle of kombucha from the store, make your batch of sweetened tea, and pour the kombucha in. Proceed as above, but expect it to take about 3-4 weeks to grow a SCOBY of any size.

I highly recommend googling 'growing my own SCOBY' for all the details, and tips, but that's the basic procedure. The first times you do it, it seems to take forever, and require way too many bowls and spoons, but now I can do it without even thinking about it, easy-peasy.

Comment

• Thanks! I want to try it so badly, but I'm worried I'm going to poison us all
                      -- Ruth

Comment

• It is very forgiving, but if it smells BAD, toss it. Otherwise, you should have no difficulties.

Comment

• How to Continuous Brew Kombucha - Wellness Mama

Hannah Crum | Kombucha Master Brewer and Educator

I read these extensively when I was going to do it, I haven't yet, but it is on my list of things to do.
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

• I love making my own kombucha! My scoby is getting quite thick now - and I just gave my neice a baggy of scobys to start her own. I need to remember to check it after a week though - I have been letting it ferment to long and end up with a very sour brew. I still drink it through - its just very tart. Like apple cider vinegar.

I want to try ADF........... I've been reading the thread and see that many women with hypothyroid do it without having any troubles. That was my main concern. But I have a couple other things that I need to focus on first. Then I'm going to dive in.
                            1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion
                            9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• More booch being bottled today. With pineapple as the flavoring. I got a perfectly ripe one at the 99cent store.

Comment

• Pineapple flavored booch sounds good! How much of what part do you add for the flavor? My kids would love pineapple flavor I am sure ....
                                Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
                                Primal low: 186 lbs
                                Current weight: 221.4 lbs
                                Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

Working...
                                X