• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    No pics. No excerpts. No fun.
    I am a woman of mystery.

Originally posted by RMS123 View Post
    ... Sabine is probably a famous author, but she is trying to remain anonymous
    I wish. Oh, how I wish.

Amusing anecdote: One of the aspects of Honey's personality, is that he RARELY gets upset or stressed about work things. It is a combination of his Marine training(remain calm so you can do your job) and his decision when he was younger to NOT follow the path of his father, who was a big stresser, had a heart attack/bypasses/etc. This sometimes leads to his co-workers/bosses thinking he doesn't give a flip about something turning into a shitstorm at work. Apparently, someone decided the only reason for him to be like this, was that he must be a 'secret millionaire' and only worked for the fun of it. This is how rumors get started!

Again, I wish!

Comment

• Funny story!

Your journal always makes me smile........... I would so LOVE to read some of your writing! If you get a bit less shy - I do hope you'll share a bit with us.
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• No more dairy.

Comment

• More data

My cheese trial did not go well.

At first, I thought I was doing fine. The 3-hour mark passed, then the 4:40-mark(the danger points for eggs and cream).

But, no.

Six hours in, things started happening in my gut. Very uncomfortable things. I was hunched in the bathroom for quite a while.

But I am starting to feel grateful for the shock I received with the eggs. I will be sad not to have dairy. But I am not staggering around and crying, like I was with eggs. That experience opened me up to the idea that something I love might be messing with me. I was actually able to think(and mean it) last night that it is better to KNOW that dairy is messing with me. Now I have more information that will hopefully help me heal.

(And it might not be forever. I will hold to that small hope.)

So, I guess I am full-on paleo now, not primal. I will figure it out.

The interesting thing with this elimination/reintroduction technique, is how it 'clears you out' so that when an offender is added back in, it is VERY obvious. I am thinking of it like this: when I was bombarding my system with offenders, it was unhappy, but it acclimitized. It did what it could, but things were so bad, that it couldn't over-react to every offender I put in my system, or I just would have collapsed.

Now, my body is healing up, and when an offender enters into the system, it has the attention and energy to jump on it right away, and send the signals that this is bad stuff.

I am also using my experience with cramps/contractions as an analogy. The reason those cramps can hurt so much, is now my body knows what it is doing. It is good at pushing stuff out when called upon to do so. It's just me, being effective!

So, anyhow, no more dairy for the forseeable future. I think I may even drop ghee.

Once I recover from this, I will try the egg yolks. But am I really interested in trying peanut/soy/corn/wheat? Nope. I guess finding the amount of sugar I can handle will be next after that. And also, if cane sugar(grass) is worse that date or coconut or maple sugars. Although, I suppose knowing a bit of soy sauce with my sashimi wasn't going to throw me for a loop would be a good piece of information to have.

I'm thinking I will buy J.J.Virgin's book. I should toss some royalties back, since it looks to be actually helping me.

Comment

• My first W30 was a shock in the same way.

I would say this, though. It is possible after a lot of healing that you will be able to reintroduce your favorites. Cheese was something I wanted to add in. Other stuff, I don't care care about. It took me a few years, but that was partly because I didn't understand about bone broth etc. for a long time.

But, that said, I ate super strict, full-on Paleo for 3 years. Once I got used to it, I was fine. People who came to my house didn't really notice anything.
            -- Ruth

Comment

• That's one idea I am holding onto, Ruth. I really enjoy dairy foods. I'd like to be able to have them now and again. Cheese! beautiful cheese!

I AM learning a lot about how the digestive system works(or doesn't). Found some interesting info in 'Practical Paleo' which I have implemented. (DGL- deglycrrhizinated licorice before meals seems to be helping me.) and digestive enzymes are helping, too. It would have been nice if it had been just ONE thing, and when I found it, poof! everything was instantly better. But it wasn't, so I will keep chipping away at all the little wrong things, and building up all the little right things, and get there eventually.

I AM feeling better than I was 11 months ago. This is a very good thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post

I AM feeling better than I was 11 months ago. This is a very good thing.

That's the main thing to remember!!!!
                K

Comment

• progress is always good when it comes to intestinal things
                  Chris
                  "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                  Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Sabine --- I didn't realize you and I were so closely walking the same path!!! How have I missed that? Possibly because you have been very discrete and gentle in your descriptions of symptoms?? I, on the other hand, lay them out in their full glory! I don't know if we have the SAME troubles, but it certainly seems we are very similar. I've known since my mid 30s that I am VERY lactose intolerant. Butter has always been my only safe dairy, but I'm beginning to think dropping that would be a good idea as well. I've been off and on eggs several times over the past 2 years, but never when I was completely controlling everything else. I think I should give that a try. My list of no-no's is as follows:

soy
                    tomato based foods
                    chocolate
                    milk
                    cream
                    apples
                    oranges
                    melons
                    grapes
                    All Alcohol
                    All soda
                    All acid fruits and veggies

You have been much more methodical and disciplined in your quest for answers and health........ I should watch and learn!

JJ Virgin has an excellent program. I've watched all her little videos and webinars. The only thing I don't like about her is the pushy sales emails I get. But - she is doing this as a means of earning a living........ its not all out of the goodness of her heart. Cutting those 7 things is a really good idea.
                    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                    2. Eat to heal
                    3. Move to live
                    4. Embrace today
                    5. Live with intention
                    6. Respect my body
                    7. Cultivate joy
                    8. Find my passion

Comment

• Luckily I have not had diarrhea, until just recently, as a symptom on reintroducing things. It is very disagreeable. I am so grateful that I have not had to battle it for years as you have.

I never thought I would have a problem with dairy. Its a real shocker to me.

I should go take a listen to some of her podcasts. I first heard about her during the latest Paleo Con thing.

Did much digging this morning, and a long, sow walk this afternoon. Now I am tuckered and ready to just veg out. I am doing a switchup this weekend. Friday was an Up Day, I am doing a fasting Down Day today, and tomorrow I am doing an all veg and fruit Medium Day, so that I can start over with an Up Day on Monday, and set myself up on the schedule I want for the coming weekend. I'm planning on cabbage stir-frys and fruit and veg smoothies.
                      Last edited by Sabine; 03-04-2014, 05:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Bad-Sad-Mad news

The boyfriend of one of Middlest's best friends is very ill. As in, he may die. Middlest is trying to get a bus home, to be with her friend. He is only 18 years old. A good kid. We're all freaked out.

Comment

• Oh my how devastating so sorry about the young man.
                          Chris
                          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                          Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Sabine, do you have issues with butter now? Ghee (clarified butter) is a great dairy free alternative and is supposedly easy to make your own. I cried when it was confirmed over and over again that I could not have fresh garlic post cholecystectomy. So, I feel ya re: eggs. Re: shoe size, when I gained weight, my shoe size went from 7 1/2 to 8 1/12. Now I'm at 8 in most shoes.

I am sorry about your child's friend...
                            Last edited by MsSmith; 03-02-2014, 07:08 AM.
                            Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
                            Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
                            Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
                            Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
                            1-30-2014 - 157 (lowest weight since 2004)
                            GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
                            CW: 164 GW: 130-135 CBF%: 24.38
                            49 - 5'7.5"
                            Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• OH - only 18. Its always more of a tragedy when a young person turns up terminally ill. I hope your daughter is able to get home to support her friend.

Shoe size.......... Since I was a teen I've had to buy WIDE width shoes - and I was THIN until I was 40. Since changing my diet I can wear regular width shoes! I guess I had a lot of inflammation in my feet!

Ghee is very easy to make. Just look at some videos on youtube. The India ones are best since they really OWN ghee.
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion

Comment

• Gas from too much fruit. I'll consider it a carb re-feed.

I finally got my newspaper basket painted. It is now doing duty as a trashbasket in my room, and looking good. Also finished a blue Moebius scarf that has been on the needles for a while. And cleared off my bedroom closet floor. Such is the power of ice days!

Looking forward to my Down Day today. I have been trying something new for my digestion: not drinking very much water. It sprang from something the pharmacist recommended, for my trip down to pick up Middlest, as I was battling with feeling ill. She said no more than 3T of liquid, even water, at a time, 'cause when your stomach was upset, it couldn't handle volume, even of neutral things. That got me thinking about the dilution of stomach 'acid' and of course, all the digestive things one's stomach is producing to digest.

So I decided to try cutting back on my water, mostly with meals, but also before, after, and a little bit in between. Combined with the cold weather coming and going (I tend not to drink as much when it is cold) this means my water consumption has only been 4-5 glasses per day. It has been an interesting experiment, and worthwhile trying, but I do miss glugging down a whole glass of ater at a time. I'm going to keep it up for the before, during, and after meals, but try to up a little in between. Down Days offer perfect scope for getting more water in, with no pesky meals to word around. Today I will try to hit a good 8 glasses again.

I know the amount of water needed changes just about every month in the mainstream press. 8 glasses per day!! No, 10-12! A gallon! You don't need any, if you are eating enough fruit and veg. Drink to thirst! If you wait until you are thirsty, it is TOO LATE!!

I feel better when I drink enough(8-12glasses) water, and at times during this trial I have felt both thirsty, and 'dry.' I don't like it. But I think it has helped with the meal digestion a bit, so I've learned something. I will keep my glugging for in-between meals.

Other things I have been doing: taking DCL 20 minutes before a meal. Eating some ginger every day. Hmmm, now that I write this, I think I may have mentioned it before. You'll have to put up with any repetition. The pains are less than they were. These are both things I read about in Practical Paleo. I am going to try a few of her other recommendations, after my trip to Palm Springs. I don't want to be adding new things in while I am travelling, or have half a dozen bottles to keep track of.

Comment

Working...
                                X