No announcement yet.

Show, then aid - Sabine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last night Honey and I went to a Wild Game Banquet.

Yes, you read that right.

Wild Game Banquet!

A local church has an active group of hunters, and once a year, they put on a free spread to showcase their talents, and all the yummy animals. The crowd was predominantly male; about 200 people, maybe 8 of them women. Since it was at a church, Honey and I put on some church-going clothes, and were well and away the fanciest-dressed people there. * Lots of camo.

I didn't try everything, because of mystery ingredients, but I had:
    Duck wrapped in bacon
    Dove breast and quail bits over rice
    Grilled Amberjack (deep-sea fish)
    Mystery rib- kind of blech- discovered that one came from Costco as a 'filler'.

I had to skip the venison chili, but it smelled great. No squirrel or possum this year.

There were also plenty of desserts, provided by the ladies of the church. Honey indulged in several. I ate some apple slices from the crumble, and gave him the crumble bits.

A young man(maybe mid-20s) flirted with me.

The speaker was delayed by a car accident, so we were entertained by the church's barbershop quartet. They were good, and also funny. Then the pastor gave an impromptu sermon. This church is MUCH more conservative and 'churchy' than I am, but it didn't flip me out too badly. Just prompted some good discussion between Honey and I in the car, going home.

Oh, here's the 'amusing' part of the post(Siobhan, take note): I got home late from thrifting, and was changing clothes in rather a rush, while Honey showered. Pulled on my pink-flowered skirt, which I haven't worn for quite a while. But it was snug back then, so I didn't think there would be any problem. It slid down my hips to a very insecure location. So, nix on that, I find a different blouse, and go for my cream skirt. This one slid right off my hips and puddled on the floor. The one skirt I could wear, I had no appropriate hose for the right shoes(No black, only brown or blue!), so I had to do boots, which meant changing my top AGAIN. Finally managed to pull myself together.

And all to no need. (See * above.) Except our own satisfaction, I suppose. Honey looked sharp in khakis, a gray shirt, and black jacket. I love him in charcoal gray.

On the schedule for tomorrow: trying on every skirt I own, and seeing what still fits.

The evening was fun, but I had a stomach disturbance later. Not too bad of one, but a little wiggly feeling.

Middlest came home for the weekend, so I will be driving her back today. Perfect for a Down Day.

My weight is hovering between 156 and 159, now that I have begun reintroducing foods. Annoyingly, I seem to have no problem with corn. I say annoyingly, because I could really care less about corn.

Comment

• Sounds like great fun. Congrats on the wardrobe malfunctions.
      Primal since 9/24/2010
      "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
      MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Today I am starting my dairy reintroduction. First item up: cream. Wish me luck.

Comment

• oh, got my fingers crossed for the cream. Have all of your pains stopped to this point?
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I see your posts about 158 and 159 and I get angry with myself for my backslide between October and December... I would totally be in the 150's by now... Probably at maintenance in the 140's... what was I thinking??

Congratulations on the reduced wardrobe, er... you know what I mean. And it's funny what you said about being over dressed. I never would have thought to dress up for a Wild Game Banquet - would have done jeans for sure, church or not, b/c that's how we, up here in Iowa, dress for such a thing. But, better overdressed than underdressed, right?

I am also interested to know how the pains are doing.
            Primal since March 5, 2012
            SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Yeah for the clothing!!!

I hope the cream works. I know that cream is the last dairy I was able to introduce. I could always do butter, then hard cheese (particularly raw, grassfed), sour cream, cream cheese, soft cheeses, then cream (it can still be a bit problematic). Crossing fingers!
              -- Ruth

Comment

• The pains are reduced, but still with me. Just on the verge of NOT being there, some days.

Ruth, thanks for letting me know your dairy order. Maybe I am doing it backwards. In any case, it is looking BAD for cream. I think that's all the detail anyone wants to hear. I will try hard cheese next, instead.

One thing about the egg experience; perhaps it helped me prepare for dairy news. I don't feel devastated. Irked, but that's all. For now. I reserve the right to have a big, honking hissy fit at any time. In any case, once is just once. It needs to happen twice. After all, maybe it was the asparagus.

I now have five skirts, instead of nine. Also, my pair of tan/beige/cream, wear-with-anything flats are too big. Have my feet shrunk? I have always had a nice arch. Maybe it is springing up even more.

I will now sit on the sofa, knit, and watch tv while I cry into my non-dairy beverage.

Comment

• My heart would be breaking for you regarding the dairy if I wasn't so darn jealous that you got so skinny so fast (or so it seems from the outside looking in)
                  Chris
                  "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                  Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Congrats! Quite the accomplishment.
                    I love having less to wear as long as the sizes are getting smaller
                    I don't have such luck in my feet, wish I did.
                    K

Comment

• Mine got bigger as I gained weight so I assume they will get smaller as I lose it, at least a little anyway.
                      Chris
                      Unknown

Comment

• Sabine - if dairy gives you troubles try taking a Lactose pill when having dairy. It could be that you are lactose intolerant. It could also be that you are casein sensitive -- if that's the case, dairy is OUT the door - cuz there is not option but to abstain.

I too LOVE dairy. Ice cream is my weakness! I'm fine with butter and hard cheeses - but anything creamy or milky......... no way! The excruciating pain and bathroom horror are more than I want to endure just for the taste and mouth feel of a lovely bowl of ice cream - or whipped cream - or cream cheese - or cheese cake! If I'm going to have anything other than butter or hard cheese I take a Lactose pill - or its NO THANK YOU!
                        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion
                        9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Any form of dairy causes me horrible bloating. I sure hope you won't have that problem!
                          Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Got a big laugh over the skirt puddling! Time for a trip to the thrift shop!

Yep, your feet get smaller. Less weight pressing on them and spreading the bones.

I don't miss dairy. I still have butter and a splash of goat milk for my coffee and tea. Anything else my face breaks out! Yuck.
                            Last edited by Siobhan; 02-24-2014, 09:11 PM.
                            My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Thrift store
                              I usually don't find clothes for myself at the thrift stores (prob bc we don't make it past the kids' area with the LO's) but this weekend I went w just my teen daughter and we scored!
                              DKNY jeans, my new favs, boot cut, slightly flared, very flattering fit, faded black $2!!!!
                              Black shorts, old navy, short but not too short, $1!
                              TH plaid shorts, not my usual color /style, but super cute on, beachy looking, $2.50!
                              I'm addicted!!!!
                              K

Comment

• Dinner was a boring mix of leftovers: mystery meat from the freezer, which turned out to be pork; fairy tale squash, which was surprisingly more like spaghetti squash than butternut; beet greens and asparagus(okay + woody); and rice(oversalted). Oh well, it filled us up and cleared some space in the fridge and freezer.

The day before yesterday I had been musing that it would be nice to have some kind of easel for my rug frame, so that it would be easier to stand while twining, without going through elaborate contortions with chairs, stools, towels, shelves, etc, all requiring adjusting as the work moves along.

Yesterday, while shuttling Littlest to track, I saw, set out for the bulk trash...an easel thingy. After I dropped her off I zoomed around and wedged it into the back of my car. Score! Free easel, less stuff in the landfill.

My main task for today: shoveling.

Comment

Working...
                                X