No announcement yet.

Show, then aid - Sabine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree that I do better without starting eating but I ingest calories in my liquids.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• It is so funny how we all have different ways of having successful down days.

I always eat breakfast and the don't eat until breakfast the next day, or I stop eating after dinner and then don't eat again until dinner the next day. No matter what, I never fast more than 24 hrs at a time.
      Primal since 9/24/2010
      "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
      MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Sabine, there was a conversation in my journal today about enzymes that you should read.
        Primal since 9/24/2010
        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
          Thank you, Demuralist!

Mssmith- Yes, I do! Or mostly. I stop eating after dinner one night, then don't eat anything the next day, or keep my calories to below 500, then eat breakfast on the third day to begin a normal day of eating. I usually do complete fasts. I'd say I have a low-calorie 'fasting day' instead about one in five or six. And the span of hours, from 9pm, Day One, to breakfast on Day Three, works out to around 30-33 hours.

It is NOT difficult, especially since I stay relatively low-carb most of the time, and am not bouncing around from insulin swings.

There's a very good set of information threads about the method at lowcarbfriends.com, under their JUDDD(Johnson Up Day Down Day) heading. And a good book to look at is 'The Alternate Day Diet' by Dr. James Johnson. If you are interested in learning more. Of course, I have gone on ad nauseum about it, further back in my thread.
          Thanks. I find myself getting hungry usually at about 10-11 a.m. The only exception is when I have a sitter and can run errands/shop all day or the rare days when coffee suppresses my appetite. When that happens, I keep drinking it all day.

When you get to your goal weight, do you think you will continue ADF and these other protocols?
          Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
          Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
          Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
          Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
          1-30-2014 - 157 (lowest weight since 2004)
          GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
          CW: 164 GW: 130-135 CBF%: 24.38
          49 - 5'7.5"
          Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• Thanks, Pebbles, I will check it out.

I will definitely continue fasting of some kind. From the research and my own experience, I believe it to have a lot of health benefits.

I am hoping not to have to keep too many items eliminated from my diet once my gut is fully healed. We'll see what I react to, if anything, though.

And although the rotation is a pain in the butt, I think I will keep up with the basic concept- not eating the same things every day- as well. It just makes sense that it would be easier on your system.

Comment

• MsSmith, regarding hunger, you do eventually learn a few tricks for your body (and every body is a bit different). You figure out which meals are easiest for you to skip and you can start with those. Then it helps for me to be well nourished but not over fed the day before the down day, and being low (ish) carb helps as well. I usually try to keep to around 100 on up days and much lower on down days. It is trial and error though, and you have to figure out what works best for you. Oh and I drink coffee and tea all day long on my down days, and the ones I spend at work are easier than the ones I spend at home.
              Chris
              "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
              Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                I will definitely continue fasting of some kind. From the research and my own experience, I believe it to have a lot of health benefits.

I am hoping not to have to keep too many items eliminated from my diet once my gut is fully healed. We'll see what I react to, if anything, though.

And although the rotation is a pain in the butt, I think I will keep up with the basic concept- not eating the same things every day- as well. It just makes sense that it would be easier on your system.
                It is helpful for me to be able to communicate with you - someone who is going through a similar weight loss journey, and height, and maybe age, but I am thinking you are probably younger than me.

I don't have any noticeable symptoms of anything being awry and I am looking forward to getting to my goal weight so that I can have more variety in my meals. I really do think I could eat a fried pork chop everyday but I don't know if my stomach appreciates it. The thin 4 oz. size that I eat only has 9 grams of fat so I don't think I'm overindulging with it. Today I get to have a little more variety... I purchased green (snap) beans and carrots last night. I'm still having one meal with squash though, today anyway. Love it! I ate a pork chop at 9:00 this morning. I was hun-gry.
                GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
                49 - 5'7.5"
                Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• why the lower fat?
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                    MsSmith, regarding hunger, you do eventually learn a few tricks for your body (and every body is a bit different). You figure out which meals are easiest for you to skip and you can start with those. Then it helps for me to be well nourished but not over fed the day before the down day, and being low (ish) carb helps as well. I usually try to keep to around 100 on up days and much lower on down days. It is trial and error though, and you have to figure out what works best for you. Oh and I drink coffee and tea all day long on my down days, and the ones I spend at work are easier than the ones I spend at home.
                    I eat 2 meals a day, basically a brunch and then mid afternoon. I am hungry both times. Someone posted that 70-80 grams of carbs is the sweet spot for weight loss. I upped my carbs from 30 to 50 and now I'm not nervous about going higher if I have a few sweet potato chips or milk in the evening. If the question about lower fat is for me, it is because my gallbladder was removed and I can't tolerate a lot of fat, plus there is the unknown issue about high cholesterol in my family - if it's familial hypercholesterol........ something.
                    Last edited by MsSmith; 01-27-2014, 08:49 AM. Reason: 70-80 is correct
                    GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
                    49 - 5'7.5"
                    Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• PS: Gotcha. When I was able to work, I would eat - be hungry for - only one meal a day. I find that it is much easier to fast for however long when I'm not at home. But, we are home-bound most of the time. My lowest weight ever was a few months after DD was born, when I was working and on the go from 4:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. While I was on maternity leave, I could eat a single-sized portion bag of chips and be satisfied all day. (I did not breastfeed.) That weight was 125. 130 is my goal weight, my weight in high school.
                      Last edited by MsSmith; 01-27-2014, 08:40 AM.
                      GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
                      49 - 5'7.5"
                      Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• oh I see. I am doing a 4:3 pattern of up and down days as it is easier for me to have my down days scheduled the same day every week (usually M-W-F, with the ability to switch Friday for Saturday if social engagements call for it). I usually shoot for a weekly balance as opposed to a daily one. So I can allow my carbs a bit higher on my up days since they are usually so much lower on the down days. 90% of mine are veggies and fruit.
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

• OK, that sounds good...

I have just been through so much stuff (not that anyone else hasn't) that I am not up for fasting when I am hungry, or doing anything else anymore that isn't necessary. It sounds like rebellion but it is actually surrender. I am going to get to my goal weight - I am getting there... I appreciate all of the information about how you guys are doing it, and the encouragement.
                          GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
                          49 - 5'7.5"
                          Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• the one thing I have learned while on MDA for the past couple of years is that each individual has to do what works for them. Everyone has different health needs and history and tolerances of what we can give up and what we cannot. No one method is going to work to get us all to our goals, if there was the "diet industry" would no longer exist. Fasting or any version of it is not for everyone, just as strict Paleo isn't for everyone (even if there really was such a thing as strict Paleo). We all have to find that balance between comfort level and success and then live it. Good luck on your journey!
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Thank you demuralist. I am in awe of all you ladies who are so consistent and persistent and disciplined and .....able to fast.
                              GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
                              49 - 5'7.5"
                              Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                                the one thing I have learned while on MDA for the past couple of years is that each individual has to do what works for them. Everyone has different health needs and history and tolerances of what we can give up and what we cannot. No one method is going to work to get us all to our goals, if there was the "diet industry" would no longer exist. Fasting or any version of it is not for everyone, just as strict Paleo isn't for everyone (even if there really was such a thing as strict Paleo). We all have to find that balance between comfort level and success and then live it. Good luck on your journey!
                                I agree with everything here, except that. There are very clear strict Paleo guidelines that can be found in the works of Loren Cordain, Robb Wolf and the Hartwigs among others. That said, it doesn't mean that one must follow a strict Paleo program to see results.
                                Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

Working...
                                X