No announcement yet.

Show, then aid - Sabine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It seems to me that just as important as the elimination of the W30 is the reintroduction of the food groups so that you can know what does cause the problem. That would be the thing I think that would help keep me to the W30, knowing that if I cheat I have messed up the experiment and the opportunity to discover the problem food. So happy I already know basically, my distress is pretty immediate when I eat beans.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
      ... knowing that if I cheat I have messed up the experiment and the opportunity to discover the problem food. ...
      This is what decided me to NOT go crazy on Super Bowl Sunday. I found two things on the menu at Studio Movie Grill (where we are watching the game) and I will stick with those, plus bring an okay treat from home. I won't skimp on quantity: I will probably be frightened at the amount of Ceviche Lettuce Wraps I can eat, but I am going to still restrict on items. Feb 2nd will be my 18th day of the Virgin Protocol, and it seems a waste to not go for the whole 21.

Ruth- I'm not off nuts, though when I have them now, I am just eating one type per day, and also not having any other kinds of nuts for the next three days after. Just to be careful. So, no more nut mixtures. My primal granola is sitting alone and unloved in the fridge.

The first thing I will add back in is eggs. Even before DAIRY! Eggs are just so versatile. I want to be able to eat them. Then, I will give it three or four days before I introduce the next thing. So, it could take quite a while before I am up to my full complement again.

I am finding it easier to be eating the same few things for one day. Yesterday I positively enjoyed my meals of steak, broccoli, sweet potatoes, lather, rinse, repeat.

Rereading some info on food combining. The basic rules are:

Fruit alone, and not within 2-3 hours of anything else.

Protein and fats can go with non-starchy veg.

Carbs(grains, legumes, tubers) can go with non-starchy veg.

Carbs(grains, legumes, tubers) can go with FAT-FREE protein(fat-free dairy, essentially, bleh!) FOR SOME PEOPLE.

No mixing of fats and carbs.

No mixing of protein that has fat in it with carbs.

Since I don't eat a lot of carbs on a regular basis(ignoring splurges) that is not a big problem. But, hmm. Maybe it was the sweet potato WITH the beef and broccoli that made me feel so stuffed.

I could eat sweet potatoes away from protein, but I don't think I really WANT to eat sweet potatoes without ghee.

The fruit alone should be easy, though. I have already been trying that, and enjoying it. Mostly having it late at night, to control any insulin spikes propelling me into more eating. I don't notice them if I am asleep.

Comment

• you might want to freeze the granola, or send it to middlest.

Luckily we are not doing anything special for the Super Bowl, though since it is Boo's birthday I will go over and have lunch with him the day before so he can do something if he chooses.
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Just saw 'Captain Phillips'.

Wow.

Great movie. Very intense.

Comment

• I've made it halfway!

I'm on Day 12 of the Virgin Protocol (I'm calling it that instead of Diet, sounds more like what I am having it do for me). That means I made it past the halfway point!

Woot!

I think doing it in conjunction with the ADF has made it easier for me, in the sense that I only have half as many days to think about what I CAN'T have! And since I started on a Down Day, that's only 10 days.

Looking forward to having eggs on February the 5th. I will have two for breakfast. Then on the 9th (as long as nothing violent happened) I will have them again.

I realized I am going to have to put off my plans for another long-term fast. I need to get through all my re-introduction and testing before I add something else into the mix. Oh, well. It will wait.

Seems strange to be wistful about not getting to NOT eat!

Weight update:

166.0 1/1/14
            163.0 1/2
            165.5 1/3
            162.0 1/4
            165.0 1/5
            163.0 1/6
            168.0 1/7
            162.0 1/8
            162.0 1/9
            161.0 1/10
            164.0 1/11
            161.5 1/12
            166.0 1/13
            164.0 1/14
            168.5 1/15
            168.0 1/16
            165.5 1/17
            161.0 1/18
            161.5 1/19
            159.5 1/20
            158.5 1/21
            155.5 1/22
            157.5 1/23
            155.0 1/24
            156.0 1/25
            155.0 1/26

I feel pleased with how well I have kept to my rotations this month. The holidays are fun, but they do throw your schedule to the winds. I am loving the thought that for the holidays THIS year, I will be at a great weight, and only needing to keep my eye on some incidental bloat. And, I truly feel that will happen. Not that it is my resolution, and by gosh, and by golly, somehow I will make it work. No, just that that is how it is now, that I have found the things that works for me.

(Please, Universe, understand that this is NOT cockiness! I don't need to be taken down a notch!)

I AM missing having more vegetables in my diet. I like vegetables. I could easily eat ALL the varieties in one day. Making due with two is a hardship.

Guess I just need to suck it up. You really can't argue with success. You can try, but Success just folds its arms, looks back at you, and smiles that smug, little smile. Too aggravating!

Comment

• The virgin protocol looks like it is working well. Congrats on being consistent.
              Primal since 9/24/2010
              "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
              MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                The virgin protocol looks like it is working well. Congrats on being consistent.
                ^this. Excellent job Sabine! (not that we are surprised)

Comment

• Thanks. Consistency IS the hard part, it seems. When I think how much I could accomplish if I just did a little EVERY day! (But, I don't.)

Comment

• You crack me up. If I were only a quarter as productive as you on a daily basis......

Nosy minds. How do you do fat/oils. Do you alternate those every 4 days or so as well?
                    -- Ruth

Comment

• Yes, I do.

Examples:
                      Today I am having pork as my protein, so I am using pork fat and bacon grease for any fats.
                      On my beef day, I used ghee.
                      Turkey day, I had walnut oil.
                      Tilapia day, ghee.
                      Lamb day, no added fats.
                      I think my next fish day will have coconut oil added.
                      And tomorrow I am planning on a salad Down day, so I will have olive oil.

It really helps doing the ADF, because even if I need to use a fat more often than every four EATING days, I usually have some non-eating spacers days.

Comment

• So, Sabine, alternate day fasting: does this mean you actually fast for 24 hours every other day?

I don't know if it's literal or something else.
                        Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
                        Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
                        Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
                        Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
                        1-30-2014 - 157 (lowest weight since 2004)
                        GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
                        CW: 164 GW: 130-135 CBF%: 24.38
                        49 - 5'7.5"
                        Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• congrats Sabine, you are honestly an inspiration in so many ways.
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

• Thank you, Demuralist!

Mssmith- Yes, I do! Or mostly. I stop eating after dinner one night, then don't eat anything the next day, or keep my calories to below 500, then eat breakfast on the third day to begin a normal day of eating. I usually do complete fasts. I'd say I have a low-calorie 'fasting day' instead about one in five or six. And the span of hours, from 9pm, Day One, to breakfast on Day Three, works out to around 30-33 hours.

It is NOT difficult, especially since I stay relatively low-carb most of the time, and am not bouncing around from insulin swings.

There's a very good set of information threads about the method at lowcarbfriends.com, under their JUDDD(Johnson Up Day Down Day) heading. And a good book to look at is 'The Alternate Day Diet' by Dr. James Johnson. If you are interested in learning more. Of course, I have gone on ad nauseum about it, further back in my thread.

Comment

• One of the things that has always impressed me is your ability to do a total water fast on your low days. I can do 200-300 calories, but I feel like I need those. Of course, I've never been consistent enough to see if I could get my body (or, really, my mind!) used to total fasts
                              -- Ruth

Comment

• I actually find it easier to eat nothing. Once I START eating, I can have a hard time stopping.

Comment

Working...
                                X