No announcement yet.

Show, then aid - Sabine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love zucchini as sub for spaghetti yummy! That spiral thing sounds like fun!
    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
    2. Eat to heal
    3. Move to live
    4. Embrace today
    5. Live with intention
    6. Respect my body
    7. Cultivate joy
    8. Find my passion
    9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Zucchini is delicious! I've been eating it every day!
      K

Comment

• A completely petty dilemma...

...in which your opinion of me may go down a notch.

I have been trying to figure out the right strategy for revealing my weight-loss to my mother.

As some of you know, I have ISSUES with her. Such that I would never say, "I've found a way of eating that really works for me, and I've lost a lot of weight."

Also, I feel that if/when she knows, there will be some comment that will set me off in some way. She has a way of turning compliments into digs.

And yet, I sort of want her to know. Like, 'Here, look, I've succeeded!' (With maybe an element of 'nyah,nyah, nyah'. - I told you, I have ISSUES.)

So, I have been trying to figure out what would be a good picture to send her, that looks like I am sending it for another reason, but in which it will be obvious that I am thinner.

Trying to score the perfect picture of ME at Eldest's graduation is too selfish.

But, I just don't send pictures that often. At least, not of me.

Maybe I should send one to my sister, and see if she passes on the news.

Opinions?

Comment

• If you're motive for sending the picture is to be helpful or encouraging to mom - then I say send the best you can get. But if its for other less desirable reasons - let it go.

you seem like too sweet of a person to stoop to petty acts to make a point. If mom isn't supportive and encouraging of your healthy life goals - then don't let her be a part of the results. If you feel she won't be encouraging and joyous for your success - then don't give her the opportunity to put a cloud over your party! Why invite trouble??? and why stoop to "nose thumbing" ???

Take the higher road --- and the road that will protect your feelings.
          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion
          9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
            If mom isn't supportive and encouraging of your healthy life goals - then don't let her be a part of the results. If you feel she won't be encouraging and joyous for your success - then don't give her the opportunity to put a cloud over your party! Why invite trouble???
            However, I totally get it, Sabine.

Maybe you could have a neighbor snap a nice pic of you and the kids and you can send it to her.
            Primal since March 5, 2012
            SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Sounds like your mom and my mom have a great deal in common! And I have no advice, except just to commiserate. My mom has still not commented on my weight loss and she has seen me three times. I would vote for sending a pic to sis and see if she passes it on.
              My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I am afraid I have to agree with not sending, though one to sis won't hurt. The high road will always feel better in the end.

However I don't think it is unreasonable to think that a carefully chosen family photo from graduation won't show you at your thinnest, nothing selfish in that. These days with digital photos there end up being so many to choose from you are sure to be able to get one that shows everyone at their very best. By then you will be well into maintenance and what ever she says won't have as much effect (I know that is wishful thinking, but you will at least be more practiced at maintenance)

p.s. my Honey devours zucchini that has been dehydrated into chips, or even sautéed to have a crunch on the edges, he won't eat it raw and doesn't care for it soggy. Me I eat it anyway I can get it
                Last edited by demuralist; 01-23-2014, 01:15 PM.
                Chris
                "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I say have Littlest take several pics of you and Honey in your finest.
                  Pick your favorite, send it to mommy dearest with a note saying,
                  LOOK HOW GREAT WE LOOK

Comment

• Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
                    I say have Littlest take several pics of you and Honey in your finest.
                    Pick your favorite, send it to mommy dearest with a note saying,
                    LOOK HOW GREAT WE LOOK
                    Love it!
                    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I can totally relate to the back handed compliments that trigger so many emotions. Whatever you decide, just be ready to laugh off any of her comments that might not be what you hoped for. I think it is nice nonetheless, to send her a pic of you and the whole family. Let her decide what she will or won't make of it. If she asks, you have your opening, otherwise just let it go. We are never going to change our parents and as long as you are not hoping for a new response your emotions should be safe ... let us know what you decide!
                      Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
                      Primal low: 186 lbs
                      Current weight: 221.4 lbs
                      Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Every good thing I try to do with some family members is met with bizarre negative responses that I never could have imagined or predicted. Like, someone sends you flowers - what do you do? Say "thank you"? One would think so... It's always consistently disappointing so I just prepare myself for the unexpected or prepare myself to tune out afterwards.

Here are 3 quotes that popped into my mind when I first read your post:

"Stop letting people who do so little for you control so much of your mind, feelings, and emotions."

I have been trying to figure out the right strategy for revealing my weight-loss to my mother.

As some of you know, I have ISSUES with her. Such that I would never say, "I've found a way of eating that really works for me, and I've lost a lot of weight."

Also, I feel that if/when she knows, there will be some comment that will set me off in some way. She has a way of turning compliments into digs.

And yet, I sort of want her to know. Like, 'Here, look, I've succeeded!' (With maybe an element of 'nyah,nyah, nyah'. - I told you, I have ISSUES.)
                        I guess maybe try to figure out your intention for letting her know...? Do you communicate with her regularly about other things about yourself? If it is totally about "nyah nyah nyah" then it's possible you will get back something in the same spirit.

"The energy we put out into the world is the energy that comes back to us."

"Your joy is something magnificent; Protect your happiness."

Some people aren't going to change until they get to that point on their path and all you can do in the meantime is protect yourself. And maybe try to accept the fact that they may not ever get there...? Know that it has nothing to do with you. It is all about them and their journey. You have already surpassed them, Sabine. Your children will not and do not feel the same way about you that you do about your mother.
                        Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
                        Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
                        Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
                        Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
                        1-30-2014 - 157 (lowest weight since 2004)
                        GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
                        CW: 164 GW: 130-135 CBF%: 24.38
                        49 - 5'7.5"
                        Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• Smart advice MsSmith

I was going to write that you should send a picture to her and damn the consequences...but I am feeling very bold today.
                          Primal since 9/24/2010
                          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                          MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Thanks, All, for your input. Whatever I do, I will think about it, and try to figure out WHY I am doing it, before I do it.

I noticed something interesting on my weight chart yesterday. The amount of weight I am going down, and the slope pattern, is almost the same on the Virgin Diet/rotation plan as when I was doing my 8-day fast right after Thanksgiving. They have both come right after indulgences, and had the sharp drop at first, of course. But, I still find it intriguing. I was down 2 more pounds with the fast, but that's all.

Hmmm.

Makes me think that something in those 7 categories is definitely messing with my system. Man, I hope it is not eggs or dairy!

Felt VERY stuffed last night. Which seems odd, because I don't feel I ate SO much. Spread out over the day I had:

2 steaks - about 8oz each
                            2 beef patties - about 6 oz each
                            2 sweet potatoes with ghee
                            2 generous but not crazy portions of broccoli
                            horseradish mixed with some ghee
                            1C strawberries

And I had the strawberries WAY after the stuffed feeling. I have decided to separate my fruit consumption from the other food groups, so I eat it several hours after dinner, just before bed. Seems to be working well, in terms of digestion.

On rising this morning, I thought I would probably be up two, maybe three pounds. That's some heavy foods from yesterday, and I hadn't pooped, and what with the stuffed feeling...well, you know. I was surprised to find I had only gone up one. Weird. Maybe it will show up tomorrow, after my Down Day. Or maybe my body is happy with this system.

Or maybe something else. Who knows! We are such a mystery.

Feel very excited and happy about Pebbles getting the part in the play.

Had a good time with my friend yesterday, knitting and watching Dexter. So far, we are loving it, though we keep coming up with horrible, crazy ideas for the ending.

Middlest made the Dean's List! AND had an Ice Day.

Comment

• congrats on the Dean's list!

food sound yummy. My Honey was told to cut back on red meat (CW cardio doc's nutritionist), so when we have it he always says "wow, meat again", and only eats a tiny piece. So I don't make it enough, unless I can hide it in a soup or stir fry or something. 2 steaks in one day would be such a luxury!
                              Chris
                              "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                              Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I know that when I do the Whole 30 (probably on deck soon, as I'll discuss at some point in my journal), I feel better than ever. I'm not sure if it's sugar, dairy, or the combo. I think eggs would be the most difficult for me... Are you off nuts as well? [Not that I ever remember you eating a lot of them.] My husband does not like steak...we have it once a week to humor me...I eat the leftovers.
                                -- Ruth

Comment

Working...
                                X