No announcement yet.

Show, then aid - Sabine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That sounds yummy! I like the Braggs salad dressings - none of the crap makes it into those and they taste really good. I can only find them in one store here so I usually stock up when I see them. Otherwise I make my own dressings - but I don't always have the time or energy.
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 221.4 lbs
    Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• The pears were hard. And I never got around to the lamb broth. Otherwise, everything went as planned. Tomorrow will be pork(ground and chops), cucumbers, acorn squash, and bananas.

Today I am water fasting. But I made s'mores cookies for my friends who are coming over. I enjoyed smelling them, and doing the assembly. The recipe is chocolate chip cookies, with one cup of the flour replaced with graham crack crumbs. Then, you put one cookie in the microwave, flat side up, with a large marshmallow on top. Zap it until the marshmallow puffs and melts, then top it with another cookie to make a sandwich. They are one of my favorite homemade cookies. Nice and hefty, simple, and so delicious. I will make them again to enjoy myself sometime next month. Maybe for Valentine's Day.

Honey's Down Day collapsed around cheese crackers at work. Better luck on Sunday. But I am determined to make it through until tomorrow morning. For one thing, it is only four more hours until I am in bed! A friend already told me she is bring wine(not hard for me to resist) and chocolate(well, you know!). Forewarned is forearmed. I will make Littlest and Honey eat my share. I can't even 'save it for tomorrow' this time, as sugar is out for the next three weeks.

I am trying to do a combination of the Virgin Diet elimination with the four-day rotation. However....I think the midriff pains may be figured out! After an explanation by Namelesswonder (in Pebbles' journal) of probiotics versus digestive enzymes, I went and got me some digestive enzymes. Almost INSTANT relief. I am tweaking the dosage, and giving it some time before I call success, but I am very hopeful.

THANK YOU NAMELESS!!! AND PEBBLES!

Forgot to exercise yesterday. Not feeling near as badly about it as I should, I think.

Watched the first three episodes of Dexter, Season 8 this morning with my friend. They were good. We are pacing ourselves this time, so it will take about a month before we are at the ending. Which we have heard is horrendously disappointing. Much apprehension.

At the point of making the heels of my socks. My favorite part.

Comment

• Oh, wow, Sabine. Keep us posted. I very much hope that is the solution. If nothing else, you have a big clue!!
        -- Ruth

Comment

• I refrained from the wine, chocolate , and cookies. Feeling proud of myself. Cooking up some ground pork as I type. Really looking forward to it, as I woke up hungry. It is a good feeling.

What with my making my Down Day yesterday, and Honey not making his, there is a 15 pound difference in our weights! This blows me away. Even knowing it is temporary. I think I need to make him carry me around a bit.

Pork patties flipped. My, they look good. I will be saving the grease to fry bananas in, later. The food options for today are pork, bananas, cucumbers, acorn squash, and red wine vinegar. We have a friend coming over for dinner and games this evening, so I will make some fancy cucumber salad for him and the family, but mine will be simply dressed with vinegar. And their fried bananas will have some sugar and cream on them. Plus, I will throw some potatoes at them.

Had a blast with my friends last night. It is good to just get together and hang out, nothing fancy. (Though I did wipe down the bathroom before their arrival. )

Comment

• Numbers update

166.0 1/1/14
            163.0 1/2
            165.5 1/3
            162.0 1/4
            165.0 1/5
            163.0 1/6
            168.0 1/7
            162.0 1/8
            162.0 1/9
            161.0 1/10
            164.0 1/11
            161.5 1/12
            166.0 1/13
            164.0 1/14
            168.5 1/15
            168.0 1/16
            165.5 1/17
            161.0 1/18

Can you guess where I ate wheat?

I think I am on track of making my goal of 160 at the end of the month.

Comment

• For reference

Copying this from Pebbles' journal for my reference:

Digestive Aids Here is a segment excerpted from "The Paleo Solution" by Robb Wolf.

The digestive aids I recommend contain betaine hcl, ox bile, proteases, lipases and amylases. I like NOW foods super enzymes product. It is inexpensive and super effective.

Betaine hcl helps increase stomach acid. Although only a limited amount of digestion occurs in the stomach, much of the signaling that occurs later in the digestive process is initiated by a high concentration of stomach acid.

Ox bile helps to emulsify fats, making them more available for digestion. Remember, that means essential fats, antioxidents and fat-soluble vitamins.

Proteases, amalases and lipases are digestive enzymes normally released by the pancrease. They digest proteins, carbs and fats respectively.

How much do we need? Digestive support is particularly important if you have suffered GI problems in the past, have an auto immune disease or significant systemic inflammation. Folks who have had their gall bladders removed really need to follow a protocol like this one.

Start with one capsule per meal for a day or two. Do you feel any type of "warmth" in your epigastric region? If so, you may not need digestive support. If you do not feel warmth take two caps with each meal for a day or two. Warmth? Keep following this progress until you are up to five caps per meal. If you are still not feeling warmth, just hang at this dosage until you start to feel warmth after a meal. Whatever your dosage, when you start to feel warmth, dial your dosage down by one cap per meal until you are digesting your food without digestive enzymes.

Only use enzymes with meals that contain both protein and fat, not when eating carbs only.

And Nameless's explanation which turned on a lightbulb in my brain. (Or maybe my gut!)

Probiotics are for carbs (sugars), enzymes are for proteins, acid (HCL) is for fat.

Comment

• So glad that the enzymes are helping.

I have been doing some more research that might be important for further tweaking. Some experts say that the enzymes and hcl should be takem separately because the hcl may neutralize the alkaline enzymes and prevent them from doing their job. Basically enzymes should be taken at the beginning of the meal and hcl 20 min after.

I seem to be having good results with the Now foods super enzymes and another similar product from my local health food store, but I may do the above experiment when they run out.
                Primal since 9/24/2010
                "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Thanks for the info, Pebbles. I will keep it in mind as I progress.

Comment

• Five points for Honey!

There is a spiralizer in the house!!!

We have done the cucumbers for the salad tonight, and a carrot and radish just for fun. On Monday we will do zucchini and maybe sweet potatoes. Oh, and apples, and pears, and parsnips, and what else can we spiralize?!? Too fun!

Comment

• Ooh, I'm jealous!
                      -- Ruth

Comment

• Me too
                        Chris
                        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                        Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Honey did good indeed! It is always good to make food prep fun
                          Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
                          Primal low: 186 lbs
                          Current weight: 221.4 lbs
                          Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Compliment post

Yesterday I had two compliments, which I want to note down. It is too easy to remember the negatives. I can use a boost of the good stuff sometimes.

Littlest and I were heading out so she could sell cookies Our neighbor just across the street was in his driveway with a his brother(who was our neighbor at our old place), his nephew, and a friend. So, of course, we hit them up for cookies first thing. (And Littlest sold a good chunk!)

Neighbor said," When you came out the door, I had to look to see if it was you or Littlest, you're getting so small." And his brother said, "You're looking more like a high-schooler yourself every time I see you."

Now, these are both bits of outrageous flattery. But I say, BRING IT ON! Everyone likes some outrageous flattery once in a while.

Had a good Up Day yesterday. Ate way too many bananas! But loved them. Here's what went down:

Up at 7:15

8:00 1/2lb fried ground pork

12:00 smoothie made with 1 1/4 cucumbers, 2 1/4 bananas, water

2:30 1/2lb fried ground pork

4:30 2 bananas

7:00 1 1/2 pork chops, cucumber(spiralized!) and vinegar salad, acorn squash

9:30 2 bananas fried in pork fat

Walking: 30"
                            Yardwork: 60"
                            Pains: minimal!

Bed at 10:00

Hey, an old-timey post. It's been a while since I did one of those.

And just for fun, I will note that I only went up half a pound after that Up Day. Interesting. My usual is 2-3 pounds. Not that I am complaining! Maybe it is the cleanliness of the rotation/Virgin choices.

I will end this post with a compliment I received a while ago. I think it is still my all-time favorite compliment. (So much so that I have memorized it. No need to look it up. Shoot, I might even put it on a t-shirt someday!)

"Girl, you are looking sleek as a racehorse, and fine with it!" Yay for librarians. They come up with the best stuff!
                            Last edited by Sabine; 01-19-2014, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• Nice compliments!
                              K

Comment

• It was the bananas. I'm convinced that bananas are underused in the primal world. They are delicious, satiating, versatile, cheap (even organic ones), and yeah, they are starchy carbs. But they are as good a way to get carbs in your diet as anything I know, other than sweet potatoes.

Cool on the compliments! Stack 'em up!
                                My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Working...
                                X