No announcement yet.

Show, then aid - Sabine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great job, Sabine! Happy words to hear!!!
    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
    2. Eat to heal
    3. Move to live
    4. Embrace today
    5. Live with intention
    6. Respect my body
    7. Cultivate joy
    8. Find my passion
    9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Great fast! Always interesting to see how you do it. I really don't think I have the mental fortitude to see it through. It's inspiring.

It's also nice yet slightly annoying when people tell you that you've lost enough. I never know how to answer that comment.

YAY for electricity! We lost power for a few days in our little town (before moving to Wilton) after an ice storm and had to live with my in-laws for a few days. Baby Brady slept on the floor next to me and Brad slept on the couch. Brady was truly a baby then - like an infant. Our house dipped to 45 degrees while we were away.
      Primal since March 5, 2012
      SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
        Great fast! Always interesting to see how you do it. I really don't think I have the mental fortitude to see it through. It's inspiring.
        ^This. Apparently Jenn is making it easy on me today and saying everything I want to say a few minutes before I want to say it.

Comment

• Fast Recap- copied from the fasting thread, if you are interested

Now that I have the leisure and electricity to type, here's how my fast went:

I had my last food on Friday, Nov 29th, about 8pm.

The first day of fasting I had a little 'hunger', most likely from sugar/insulin swings, since Friday I ate a lot of PIE. Otherwise, I am low- to moderate-carb. After the first day, the hunger was not difficult at all. I would get hungry occasionally, it would pass, and that would be it.

Most of my desire for food was intellectual and social. I would see something, think, 'that would be good' and want it. But I wasn't hungry.

I had no dizziness to speak of. Maybe twice, after standing up quickly. And not even hang-on-to-something dizziness, but more like a head rush.

No fatigue, either, which I was surprised by.

A troublesome aspect was how gross my mouth felt after a few days in. I must have been in heavy ketosis. It was really nasty. I was brushing, and gargling, and oil-pulling. I finally resorted to a breath spray, just so I felt I wasn't going to be knocking people over.

The fast was complicated by our home losing power early on Friday, which lasted until late on Monday. My options for amusing myself were radically reduced. I couldn't even sit and knit/read/craft/play cards, as it was too cold to keep ones hands out from under the covers for long. It is so easy to turn to food for amusement, but i managed to mostly resist. But it was a BORING time.

We went out for several meals during the power outage, and I always just had warm water to sip. I found it easy, and enjoyable, but my husband felt strange eating while I 'couldn't'. I told him I could, I was just choosing not to/wasn't hungry, etc, but it still bothered him a little. Strange, because we both do ADF, and he was very sympathetic for me when I have had similar problems with a house-guest. But I guess it is different when it is YOU.

I think I would have broken my fast earlier, if we had had power. But I couldn't make the particular things I wanted very easily, so I delayed. Had my first food on Sunday morning at 8am. The length of time from last meal to first was 204 hours/8.5 days.

The food I broke my fast with was 1 1/2 pears, spread over about six hours, and then 12oz cod fried in ghee. After that, I just ate normally.

The long fast was much easier than I thought it would be, even after having done several 3-4 day fasts.

It does not seem to have cleared up the symptom I was doing it for, at least in the short term. I will be observing to see if it has any long-term effect that I can see, but I probably won't report back to this thread about it.

It did seem to do a couple of other things in/for my body, though. The skin is INCREDIBLY soft. (My Honey verifies this- it is not just my imagination.) A finger I broke last year started to ache for about a day, then stopped. Wondering if this might have been some area-specific autophagy. It really puzzled me as to why my finger would suddenly start aching, until I remembered the past breakage.

And, of course, the poundage. I did not do this to lose weight. I am fine with my present weight-loss progress(going down about a pound per week.). But I am wanting to reduce, so I notice these things. And am hoping some of it stays off.

My weight before Thanksgiving:166.0
          After Thanksgiving:172.0
          After fast:157.0
          After three days of eating again:161.5

I am now resuming my regular eating(ADF), so I am calling it as a 4.5 pound reduction over the 8.5 days. I did not take my measurements just beforehand, or anything like that, as I am not really interested in the fast that way.

I would definitely do it again, either for symptom relief, yearly autophagy, or a spiritual exercise(might like to do it while spending quiet hours in nature during nicer weather!]) During the fast I enjoyed going online and reading other peoples' accounts, information and studies about fasting, etc. Was interested to find there are fasting retreats! There's even a budget one an hour's drive from here, so I could see doing this again sometime as a little vacation from food and stress.

Okay, getting too long. That's it!

I have copied this from the fasting thread, where I was posting about this fast(hoping for some company, but no one else seemed up for a fast at this time).

Comment

• I would have passed completely out! You are made of strong stuff, missy. Congrats! I hope you get relief for whatever it is you are fasting for.
            Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
            Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
            Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
            Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
            1-30-2014 - 157 (lowest weight since 2004)
            GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
            CW: 164 GW: 130-135 CBF%: 24.38
            49 - 5'7.5"
            Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• I think its amazing that you can go so long without food. No juice --- nothing but water? I'd be dead.
              1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion
              9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I'd like to take kudos for being super strong, determined, something, but I think it is just like many of the things we try to convince non-primal folk of: you can do it, if you do it.

Being fat-adapted made my transition easier- no sugar crash, not even a headache. But it is not force of will that got me fat-adapted, it was eating low-carb. Having fasted before helped me know what to expect mentally. But that is just practice, not inspired knowledge.

You may not WANT to fast, but don't sell yourself short: you can.

On a lighter note, I started my Christmas shopping today. It was fun. And our annual grapefruit present from my father-in-law arrived. There was much rejoicing. We LOVE grapefruit!!!!

Comment

• you don't have citrus trees in your area? When we lived in Florida we had, all sorts of citrus trees in our little back yard, loved it.

I am going to agree with Sabine on the fasting thing, a huge part of it is admitting you can do it. I would never in a million years have thought I could do it, even for a day, now it is a habit. I did actually do a week long fast years ago when I was not fat-adapted and it was a bit difficult, I also drank unsweetened, watered down, lemon juice. (ooo, makes my mouth pucker just thinking about it). And truthfully I do carb cycle, so to speak, so I doubt I am fat-adapted now, though I do have days of the grungy mouth about once a week during one of my fast days.
                  Chris
                  "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                  Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Here, near Dallas, I haven't seen that many citrus trees. What we do have plenty of is pecan trees! Can you believe when we moved here, I didn't like pecans(How is that possible?)? Now I love them.

First normal Down Day, successful. I sipped a little broth while the girls ate dinner, and wanted their dinner(for taste, not hunger), but set aside a portion to eat this morning instead.

I am helping a friend at her office party today, pouring wine, passing plates, etc. I have a nice white blouse to wear, but when I went to pull out my plain black pants I discovered they are too laughably big. So, off to the thrift store I went, trying on size 12s, and even one size 10! Found some good, basic black wool pants for the party, and a tremendous oversize ski sweater, for fun. Yay for the thrift store!

Did finicky bits in Littlest's closet last night, making sure there will be no drafts. Today I am getting those baseboards back on, and then the floor will be DONE! I will NOT be doing the front room until well after Christmas. No more being ambitious in floor-related matters.

Comment

• When I lived in Gainesville, I had a classmate whose family owned a pecan farm. And she would bring me pounds of them (already shelled) so I could make spiced pecans as gifts, as long as I would make a batch for her and her family. SOOOO good! I still make the spiced pecans this time of year, but obviously they are not as good as when I was getting farm fresh pecans.

When we first moved to Florida the citrus groves reached north almost to Gainesville (smelled incredible driving back and forth to my parents home in Orlando when the blossoms were out). Then there were a few hard freeze years in a row, and that in combo with the success of Disney led most of the growers to sell to developers. I am pretty sure there are not any more north of Disney now!
                      Chris
                      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                      Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                        I'd like to take kudos for being super strong, determined, something, but I think it is just like many of the things we try to convince non-primal folk of: you can do it, if you do it.

Being fat-adapted made my transition easier- no sugar crash, not even a headache. But it is not force of will that got me fat-adapted, it was eating low-carb. Having fasted before helped me know what to expect mentally. But that is just practice, not inspired knowledge.

You may not WANT to fast, but don't sell yourself short: you can.

On a lighter note, I started my Christmas shopping today. It was fun. And our annual grapefruit present from my father-in-law arrived. There was much rejoicing. We LOVE grapefruit!!!!
                        I think it depends on the person and their circumstances. I feel faint at 46 hours fasting. Would I actually faint if I fasted as long as you did? Would I faint more than once?

Sure, I would most likely still be alive, but what would my body have gone through? And with DD, what would happen to her during my temporary loss of consciousness, and if she also has a seizure during that time?

See, this is just me. I am not as strong (healthy?) as you are and I cannot let myself get run down. When I feel faint, that tells me something is wrong that I have to address. I realize that my situation is different from others' situations.
                        Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
                        Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
                        Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
                        Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
                        1-30-2014 - 157 (lowest weight since 2004)
                        GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
                        CW: 164 GW: 130-135 CBF%: 24.38
                        49 - 5'7.5"
                        Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• Fantastic job, Sabine. Someday I may try a fast... but of course, first I'd have to be willing to give up endurance running and if switching to Primal wasn't enough to do it, I doubt the idea of fasting would push me to giving up endurance running. lol I'll leave the long fasts to you pros. UDDD is an option though - with the UD being either the actual run day or the day after - most likely the day after since I always seem to feel most hungry the day after I run far.
                          Primal since March 5, 2012
                          SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Crazy busy today but I am taking a brief internet break between tasks. Why is my house such a wreck?!

Comment

• This morning I am:
                              Baking banana bread for the neighbors
                              Making pork in salsa verde in the crockpot
                              Knitting Christmas gifts
                              Figuring out the camera set-up
                              Washing more socks
                              Getting ready for football viewing
                              Making a new batch of dog food patties
                              Clearing all the stuff stacked in the front room, so there will be enough room for Eldest when he arrives
                              Washing dishes, more dishes, and what's that over there, more dishes!

Honey is chopping wood in the backyard. there's enough out there to keep him busy for a couple of weekends.

Aiming for a true Down Day today. Sort of fell face forward into some junk on Friday. So did Honey. Guess we are on the same wavelength, even when apart.

Comment

• My goal is to make it to the 7th (when I go back to work) at the same weight as I am right now, if I am lower then it will be a serious cause for celebration.
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X