No announcement yet.

Show, then aid - Sabine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• allergy prick test...snicker snicker (like a teenaged boy.)

Good idea, Chris
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• If you've heard of JJ Virgin's elimination diet, she names gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, corn, peanuts, sugar/artificial sweeteners as the 7 major foods that need to be taken out of your diet for awhile. Some can be reintroduced, others are never reintroduced (gluten, corn, soy, you know you are poison!) Of course this leaves out nightshades and FODMAPS, but it is hard to absolutely do everything at once.

Did you know that mustard can and often does contain gluten? I had to throw out my mustard and get some expensive organic stuff with no gluten. Or I could make my own, but I don't use enough to make it worthwhile.

FWIW, I'm not not allergic to flowers but lilies make me gag and smell like dirty socks. Yucky. Easter is a problem for this reason.
      My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• P, you hang out with high schoolers too much
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Heehee, I'm definitely not allergic to those!

Siobhan, I listened to J.J.Virgin's talk on the gluten Summit, because of you. Thought it was interesting, and eliminating all those things would probably do me good. Wheat, corn, and soy are fairly easy, except when I am really bad, but dairy and sugars would be hard for me. Peanuts could be done. But how is it possible to live without eggs!?! (I see she allows pastured ones if they work for you after the three weeks.) I am creeping that way, though, looks like.

Why would anyone put gluten in mustard?!? So weird.

All the prep work is done! I'm off to walk to the post office, and I'll start laying planks after lunch. (Reworded that sentence to avoid another outburst from Pebbles! )

Comment

• seems to me that an allergy test would be a whole lot easier place to start than eliminating essentially everything except meat.
            Chris
            "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
            Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I don't know what they cost, but as we don't have insurance right now, I won't be springing for one just yet. And I don't know how accurate they are in terms of allergies, versus sensitivities. It will be something to look into, if I can't figure it out on my own.

Comment

• My mil had the blood allergy test done back at the beginning of summer...it's not all that expensive...I think she paid like $250...& it came back showing sensitivities to certain foods (altho not gluten...disappointing to her I think cause she swore she had celiac, that was the cause of her bouts of diarrhea & feeling so bad all the time!! lol )...but eggs for her were off the chart. This from a woman who has eaten an egg every morning practically all her life. And most of the time she got her eggs from her other son who has chickens too.

Might be something to think about. If I had the money I would have it done in a heart beat!!
                Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• I had the blood test done for food sensitivity - only showed a very slight sensitivity to eggs. I thought it was rubbish because I know when I eat certain things I get a very bad reaction in the form of intense pain and a total flush of my intestines.

I feel like I'm back at square one again. After 8 weeks of being relatively pain and diarrhea free -- I'm back in the daily sickies again I've been very careful not to have soy for the past couple days - but yesterday did me in on everything else. I had eggs for breakfast. Dairy, gluten, peanut butter and sugar for dinner! UGH!!! And the intense spices of my husbands curry makes it even worse. I'm feeling pretty horrible this morning.

I'm doing the Virgin Diet starting today.

Sabine - I hope you can get to the bottom of your tummy pains soon. I would suggest trying the Virgin Diet too.
                  1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion
                  9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• We all 4 had the sensitivities prick (heehee, she said prick) test done, and it came out very specific. Of course we had it done for pollen and plants as opposed to food, but once we found out what we had issues with, our twice yearly "colds" have disappeared.

I also have a dear friend with 4 children who had them all tested and 3 of the 4 came back with allergies, they were tested for food allergies. Their tests were slightly different than ours, but worked. As long as she keeps the stuff out of their foods the kids do fine.

Of course, it might not be allergies or sensitivities, it could have to do with bacteria in the gut or specific enzymes which I don't think are considered in the allergy testing.

And then again it could be something completely different, i.e. environmental. Of course then it would be more likely the whole family would be having issues. But it turned out my issues were called vasomotor and are completely environmental and neither of my kids or the DH has that.

Sorry, I know you don't like to discuss this on here.
                    Chris
                    Unknown

Comment

• The reason JJ Virgin includes eggs (so beloved by the primal/paleo community) in her elimination diet is because 70% of people test positive for sensitivity to them. But she says that pastured eggs can often be reintroduced.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Hello there, hope you don't mind a newb dropping in.

The conversation about eggs and the Virgin diet is really interesting to me as it is the only thing in the list that I hadn't thought about as a sensitivity issue. I've pretty much nixed everything else apart from enough milk for two cups of coffee per day, but I rely quite heavily on eggs, especially for breakfast.

I haven't cut out the other six for long enough to know if eating eggs is still keeping me slightly below par, so it might well be worth my eliminating them and seeing if I feel better in general. Gah! Now what do I eat for breakfast?!

Comment

• Sausage!

Comment

• Yes, she said her inclusion of eggs often raises eyebrows (and voices) but that 70% statistic can't be ignored. We people in the primal/paleo world generally consider them to be solid gold, but they need to be checked out just like everything else. I haven't done it myself yet, but I will in the future.

Comment

• I didn't get as far on the floor yesterday as I would have liked. Need to make today a big day. I wish I could start right when I wake up, as I am definitely a morning person, but somehow I don't think banging away at 5:30 would go over so well with Honey and Littlest.

An excellent fish day yesterday, though strangely, I did not eat as much sashimi as I normally do. Felt a little under-fed when I left, but had things to do, so I didn't spring for another plate. Made up for it by having three bananas over the course of the afternoon and evening!

Fish fans, marvel at the variety I had yesterday:
                              kippers
                              salmon
                              red snapper
                              tuna
                              mackerel
                              squid
                              clams
                              oysters
                              shrimp
                              crab
                              cod

It was a good day!

I have lamb bone broth bubbling away in the crock pot. Wish I had done it yesterday (as planned) so I could sip on it today. Grr. Well, I may sip, anyways.

Comment

• Okay, kippers it is for breakfast! (I didn't know what to eat until I saw your post.)

Comment

Working...
                                X