No announcement yet.

Show, then aid - Sabine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm making goat stew (for tomorrow) and wishing I could have some. Instead, I will enjoy another beet-okra-celery-banana smoothie. No blackberries in this one- those seeds were too annoying this morning.

I'm a bit hungry. I knew I didn't eat enough yesterday. I will make up for it tomorrow. Lamb chops for lunch, goat for dinner. Maybe tilapia for breakfast.

Comment

• I have not yet acquired a taste for goat. I'm impressed with your pallet :-)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
      -- Ruth

Comment

• OMG!!! OKRA? putting okra in your smoothie makes you brave and then on the same page eating goat for dinner? You make me smile.

I cannot tell you how attitude I have gotten over the years for the decision to stay home with my kids. And yes, 1 tv, 1 car (until we lived in different cities for a year), 1 computer (till the kids had to have one for college), no boats, no designer clothes, grrr is right. We gave up a lot. But we had decided it didn't make sense for me to work so that I could pay someone else to get to be with my kids. And in the end it paid off. I ended up with 2 fantastic kids that I got to spend a lot of time with.

NOW, I don't have anything against working moms at all. I think we all have to make our own decisions, but being a mom is hard enough without other moms dragging down your energy by judging you (and vice versa).

I feel your pain!
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Very edgy.

Middlest got injured down at college. Her roommate took her to the emergency room, and it seems she is fine, although hurting. I want to be there, and holding her hand, even if there is nothing else I can do. And be asking all the questions, and making sure everything is being done. Very hard to worry long-distance.

I am trying not to implode. Reading, and now getting on the computer so that I am not just sitting-worrying-thinking about it. But here I am, writing about it.

Will go peruse other journals while I wait for her next text. Hope y'all have some good stuff for me to read.

Comment

• Oh Sabine, how stressful. Certainly one of my biggest fears with both of mine gone. Only thing that would save me from jumping in the car is that both kids are at the same place and I know they would take care of each other. Of course they are also only a 3 hour drive, so I would likely end up then anyway. But I can be a bit of a helicopter mom when one of my kids gets hurt. My heart goes out to you.
            Chris
            "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
            Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Hi, I was just lurking and saw your post about your daughter. I have been in that spot before and know how agonizing it is. Prayers to you and her.

Comment

• Sabine, that has been my biggest fear with 2, (now 1), of my 3 kids in S.CA, a thousand+ miles away.

Writing about it is good therapy. I hope things continue to be fine with your daughter.

Comment

• Hugs.
                  -- Ruth

Comment

• Everything doing okay so far

Middlest was doing well as of midnight last night. She's getting up at 8:15 this morning to see if she feels good enough to go to class, so I will check on her then. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. She was handling it well, so mixed in with the worry, I am proud of her. She's turning into a strong young lady, able to deal with things and able to ask for help when she needs it, both so vital to growing up.

I just finished watching a documentary online that a friend turned me on to. It has some great information in it, so I want to pass it on. It is called 'Back to Eden' and concerns gardening with a mulch ground cover. It is available free on the internet(just Google) and is about 1'40" long. Fascinating and makes me want to do it in our back yard after we do our radical tree trim this winter. There's quite a bit of religious inspiration in it. Usually, that kind of annoys me, but I found this very refreshing and even spiritually uplifting. I like it when I am surprised by religion that way, when a prosaic topic suddenly makes you think about God.

Yes, God is even in okra.

Today is pork, lamb, and goat day. With plenty of veg from the mustard family: cabbage, kale, cauliflower, turnip, radish. And maybe some citrus and avocado. Oooh...avocado, grapefruit, and red onion salad. That tempts me.

Yesterday:

Up at 5:30

9:15 smoothie-1/2 banana, 1/4 beet and greens,1/2 celery, 1/4 carrot, blackberries, 1 OKRA!

12:15 banana

1:50 carrot

4:00 smoothie- 1/2 beet and greens, 1/2 banana, 1/2 celery, 1 more OKRA!

9:25 banana

Water: 10 glasses
                    Walking: no
                    Pains: 12
                    Zombies: yes

Bed at 10:30

Bed was later than usual due to worry. (I was even woken[by request]by Middlest's texts checking in until she went to bed at midnight. But I woke up at my usual time, without an alarm, feeling refreshed and awake. Yay, for good habits that take up the slack when you have to skimp once or twice! (Hey, kind of like the Fly-Lady morning routines.)

Strangely(nicely) the worry did not seem to trigger an 'I want to EAT' reflex. I ate that last banana because I was hungry. Although, I did feel a little like 30bananasaday gal. I ate three bananas yesterday! Wow. I don't know that I have ever eaten that many bananas in a day before.

Comment

• Glad your daughter is OK.

I am always afraid when I post about my spirituality (God) that I put people off. That is what my dad always did to everyone he encountered and I would never ever want to prevent anyone from being open to it - the way he caused me to be. I know that I don't force it upon people like he did, but still... His interpretation of it was so off -- not appealing at all.

So, sorry if anything I've posted has had that affect on you or anyone else.
                      Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
                      Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
                      Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
                      Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
                      1-30-2014 - 157 (lowest weight since 2004)
                      GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
                      CW: 164 GW: 130-135 CBF%: 24.38
                      49 - 5'7.5"
                      Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• God talk

No apologies needed, MsSmith. We all get to talk about what we want to in our journals.

For me, religion is more of a personal thing, and only occasionally does it 'bubble out'. What I dislike (for my consumption, not as a lifestyle for those who do it) is bringing God up into everything. Although I personally believe God IS in everything, it drives me bananas when some people can't seem to say ANYTHING without dragging God in. Although it may be completely genuine, it always feels show-offy to me, or even worse, a thoughtless habit.

So, when the first mention of God came up in the film, I was cool. With the second and third, I was thinking, uh-oh, is this going to be one of THOSE movies? But by the end, I was looking forward to the religious bits, to see how they informed his practice. It even made me want to go read some of the verses he mentioned!

I always think the best kind of proseletizing (man, how DO you spell that?!) is to just live by your beliefs and have people think it is great enough to ask about it. I think the man in this film, might be one of those kind of people I would be interested in talking religion with, because of the actions he has done in his life, guided by his beliefs.

Whoa, Sabine's journal takes a serious turn.

Guess this is one of the bubbles.

Comment

• Middlest is doing well. Her head hurts, but the bump has gone down (and some bruises on her back have come up) and she got a night's worth of sleep. I'll probably be the worried mom and be calling her several times per day for a while.

I am making turnip greens with leeks and one finely cut turnip to have this afternoon, and put in the fridge to 'age' for four or six days from now. Also using half the leeks in the goat soup, and the rest of the turnips as my starch for dinner tonight. I think I am finally figuring out some routines for this four-day thing.

I am actually *gasp* going to skip the booch tomorrow. See if I can stretch my rotation to five or six days. I will have green gourd smoothies (cucumber, melon, zucchini) instead.

Walked to the grocery this morning (they had neither turnips nor radishes!) while it was still dark and overcast. It is neat being outside when it is like that. Very quiet except for distant cars and a couple of other walkers.

Comment

• so good to hear your daughter is progressing well.

I commend you on your dedication to following the plan. I am not sure how intense pains would have to be for me to go to that kind of trouble, hope it gives you the answers.

I feel like that when it snows here. It is not a very common occurrence, just a few times a year, but when we get a good one about once every 3 years, the world seems to still itself to watch the snow flakes fall. The smell and sound of it is awe inspiring.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Yesterday:

Up at 5:15

8:45 5 pork link sausages, cabbage and kale fried in bacon grease

11:45 large lamb chop and three figs

3:00 pork chop, bowl of turnips, leeks, turnip greens, and bacon

6:00 goat-onion-leek-bacon soup over boiled turnips
                              large amount of avocado-grapefruit-lemon juice-radish salad

Water: 8 glasses
                              Walking: 30"
                              Pains:7

Bed at 9:30

I succeeded with my plan to eat A LOT. I enjoyed everything I ate, and went to bed feeling pleasantly full. Today's plan is green smoothies from the gourd family, and if I want to chew, slices of of the zukes, cukes, and melons instead.

Avid followers will already guess what I am eating on Halloween. It's a holiday, after all! That's right, sashimi. I'm going to dress up in my costume and go out and do things. I worked hard on this outfit, and I want some admiration. Trick-or-treaters don't usually care what the people giving them candy are dressed like, so I have to go get my kudos during the day.

Middlest report: Head was still hurting as of yesterday evening, and she felt a little queasy, but a nap improved things. I suggested she spend all of today in bed, listening to quiet music- no reading or writing. We'll see if that happens. She has a test today that she doesn't want to miss. She DID get extensions on two of her papers, which I thought was wise.

The goat soup was great. But, man, lots of bones. I missed two, and they both ended up in Honey's dish. I would have been Chopped for sure (Does anyone else watch that show? We love it!). I was the only one who LIKED the salad, but that was fine with me, as it meant I got the rest of it. I think I consumed the equivalent of 3/4 avocado, 1/2 grapefruit, and 4 radishes.

Comment

• I missed what your costume is.

We have trunk or treat around here, and the people who pass out the candy from the back of their cars dress up as well as decorating their cars. Very fun, and usually in the big parking lots of churches so very safe for kids to run around without the fear of cars, etc.

Our neighborhood is going to have a halloween parade that starts at 5:15 on Thursday, I am looking forward to that.
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X