No announcement yet.

Show, then aid - Sabine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well, even if you were knowledgable about nutrition, you are going to go for maximum calories for minimum cost, if money is your driving force. It is why so very many people who are on food stamps are obese, and have such horrendous health problems.

The Nashville Food Project started out as "Mobile Loaves and Fishes" (which is a Texas organization). Then an outstandingly perfect person was hired by the church to manage it. They used to give out brown bag lunches. Then she decided she could do better. She decided to serve the homeless and working poor hot, healthy meals from a food truck. She started a garden, and now has 2-one in the back yard of the offices, and one urban garden. She also goes to restaurants and "gleans" food. She also has several places that she can buy food super inexpensively to fill in. And there is an army of volunteers doing tons of work. She now has 3 trucks and they go out late afternoon, every single day. It is an amazing outreach program.

Thing is there are actual communities of families living in tents in various wooded areas in our city. I had no idea. Many of the adults need mental help, but it is unavailable. It is so very heartbreaking that they exist, except that it is better than these people living in even worse conditions, alone. We most definitely need to figure out how to get them taken care of so that they can take care of themselves.

In the mean time our Mayor just approved an "art project" paid with city funds, to the tune of $750,000. Makes me feel very helpless.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• We have a great food bank here also; unfortunately it is desperately needed. Would that such things were unnecessary. A group of very forward thinking individuals approached Hannafords, the major supermarket chain here, and asked for help. Not only can they help with food, they mentioned they already had a very nice distribution system in place; would that be useful? Oh yes, it is useful!

I saw a program on TV not long ago that said that the number one health problem facing children growing up in poverty is indeed obesity. Ouch.
      My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Unfortunately government subsidies ensure that less than healthy foods will remain much cheaper than healthier choices.
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I wish we could get the government to subsidize cows being fed GRASS, instead of corn and soy. When I think about the herds of MILLIONS of buffalo that were supported on our continent in a sustainable way, and that they have been replaced by fields of grain that it takes fuel and extra water to maintain, I weep. Or if they even took away the corn/soy subsidies, so that people saw what food REALLY costs. (Of course, that would be pretty tough on all of us who are used to cheap food. I'm just saying...I don't know exactly what I'm saying. I guess, I want people to know what good food is, and be able to have it. Oh, and peace on earth, too!)

Comment

• In which I whine

This is hard!

I got hungry last night. Enough that it was going to keep me awake. I ate some of the meat and veg soup that I had for just such an occurrence, but I didn't like having to do it. It felt like the hunger was controlling me, not the other way around.

And then I STILL woke up hungry this morning. It is Sunday, and I have the opportunity to sleep in, but I got up instead so I could have my breakfast NOW! (Just waiting for the patty to cook! )

And, of course, it is gratifying to see my weight down after a Down Day (another half pound). But I have plans to eat a lot today, trying not to worry that I will be short of food on Tuesday. I do NOT want another drop after an Up Day. Three times in a row would be too much for my peace of mind.

I really don't see how people handle being hungry long-term. I guess I am just a baby, but I REALLY dislike this. Mecker, mecker, mecker.

Okay, enough of that. I am still enjoying myself when I get my mind off my stomach and fridge. Honey and I went to a movie yesterday, and held hands. I hung out with Littlest. Made granola and practiced German together. Worked on some projects(the petticoat is almost done, and looks good). I felt thin and enjoyed feeling thin. All good stuff.

Here are the thrilling details:

Up at 8:15 (yes, you read that right- it was glorious!)

10:00 tea

4:00 booch

9:30 meat-and-veg soup

Water: 8 glasses
            Walking: nope
            Sun: ditto
            Pains: 8

Bed at 10:15

Comment

• Thoroughly enjoyed my first breakfast of ground beef patty, 2 fried eggs, and coleslaw. Getting ready to have second breakfast of creamed spinach with two poached eggs. I also need to peel a bunch of carrots to take along to the Girl Scout party Littlest and I are going to this afternoon. That, plus meat and veg soup should see me through. Dinner will be TWO chicken thighs, cauli-rice, and zucchini. With a jello chaser.

Littlest and I made primal granola yesterday, and this morning I accidentally opened the container when I was looking for the dogs' food from the fridge. Oh, wow! It smelled fantastic. I'm looking forward to having some next week with berries and cream.

Comment

• Creamed spinach and poached eggs.

Yum.

Comment

• love the combo of eggs, cream, and greens!
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post

I am:
                    female
                    47 years
                    5'8"
                    My highest weight with CW: 217
                    My lowest weight as an adult: 179
                    Presently bouncing around at: 200
                    Goal weight: 154
                    Real goal weight in my dreams: 140- I have not been 140 since high school, and at the time I thought I was fat, fat, fat!
                    Hi Sabine. We have much in common!
                    Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
                    Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
                    Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
                    Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
                    1-30-2014 - 157 (lowest weight since 2004)
                    GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
                    CW: 164 GW: 130-135 CBF%: 24.38
                    49 - 5'7.5"
                    Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• Hi, MsSmith. I haven't seen you before. Welcome to my journal. Come in and look around.

Comment

• Thank you. I will. Reading on Sunday is one of my favorite things to do. 298 pages of Sabine...
                        GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
                        49 - 5'7.5"
                        Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                          I have had heartburn since this afternoon.
                          This was the first thing to go when I omitted grains from my diet. Such a relief!! I rarely had heartburn until we went gluten free and then it was all day, every day. I am loving not having to buy HB meds anymore.
                          GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
                          49 - 5'7.5"
                          Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• I am up to page 39 and there have been a couple of times tears came to my eyes. I wish I could share with you some things from the past two years. A post by Hanna did the same thing. I will resume in a little while.
                            GAPS/SCD 12-29-2014
                            49 - 5'7.5"
                            Macros (PFC) 30/40/30

Comment

• I hope in a good way!

It is a strange experience reading someone's journal all at once. (Have you discovered GayPanda? You will laugh until you cry.) When you said '298 pages of Sabine' I quailed. I can't imagine that much of my musings. But maybe I should go back and reread it, to see how I've changed. I know wineandcandy rereads her journal every year.

I was NOT hungry when I went to bed last night! Yay! Very glad I managed to eat enough. However, I DID wake up hungry again. Grrr. Now, y'all know I can be Hungry. I even have names for it. But this every day visit...it's getting me down.

On the good side, I was up a pound today, as is normal for after an Up Day. This calms my imagination. No cancer nibbling away inside me, just food restriction going on. I can live with that. But I am very anxious for this week to be over. Makes me understand how I have never been able to stick with a 'diet' before. I want to have what I want when I want it.

Added some dip to my food stash yesterday, when I realized it would go bad before I would be able to eat it normally. I feel this is balanced out by some free chips that we got yesterday(not that I'll be eating them, but still) and some soup and carrots that I SHARED. Yes, it is possible to be generous on food stamps. But not with eggs. Four left, and they are all mine!

I think if I were on food stamps I would be ones of those people who wraps up every scrap of anything to save. Like my mother-in-law, who grew up during the Great Depression.

I just took a break to make Littlest's bento box lunch, and was gladdened by the bounty going into it. Blueberries, raspberries, and the last of the kiwiberries. Cheese and sausage roulade. Rice crackers. Seafood salad. Primal granola. Nuts.

Told a (prosperous) friend about my SNAP challenge. She was gob-smacked at having to eat on $4.50 per day. I saw her look down at the cookie she was eating and calculate.

I'm excited that Siobhan is doing it. It will be neat to see it through her eyes, she always has intriguing perspectives on things.

Lots of chores planned for today. I'll try rewarding myself with some forum time in between, to keep me going.

Comment

• Oh, almost forgot. Here's how yesterday went:

Up at 5:00

6:00 1/2 pound ground beef(less a little for the dogs)
                                2 fried eggs
                                coleslaw

11:00 creamed spinach and 2 poached eggs

1:00 the last of the coleslaw

5:00 1 cup meat-and-veg soup
                                carrots with ranch dip

6:30 the last of the cauli-rice
                                2 fried chicken thighs
                                the last of the creamed spinach
                                jello!

8:00 tea

Water: 13 glasses