No announcement yet.

Show, then aid - Sabine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, great workout. If I have to go to the gym, I'd just as soon be lifting weights, although I don't like machines. I more of a power-lifting type gal. It's going to fun to see your progress in a few months!

I'm not so much into podcasts myself. Of course, I'm very visual.

I also want the Nom Nom cookbook. I like her recipes and blog.
    -- Ruth

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
      It is also a good STEALTH method. With some planning, you can appear to be eating at most meals, which can be important sometimes. For instance, I have some friends who notice what I eat(or don't). It can get old. Even if I am meeting them on a Down Day, I can have a salad with dressing on the side, and I look like I am eating 'normal healthy' stuff, not that crazy low-carb or something even wackier. I just want to avoid the eyerolls, you know?
      I definitely understand the avoiding looking like your starving yourself. My family would think I was taking this to far.

So on your down days what is the goal? Certain amount of carbs, proteins or fats? Or is it just cutting your calorie in taken like in half or to a certain percentage?

Like if I ate just a couple pieces of bacon, lunch-plain small salad, dinner a chicken thigh... Would that be about right?

Em
      "Adapt and Overcome"

Comment

• Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
        I am interested in the new primal book, but I have already pre-ordered Nom Nom Paleo's book and I think I am reaching critical mass on paleo cookbooks. Also, the free giveaways are books that I already have! Hmmmm.

Did you listen to the podcast?
        I have Mark's PB cookbook and I have nomnompaleo cookbook app. Since you seem to have quite the collection of them.... What's your top picks for someone like me that's pretty new to paleo/ primal cooking?

I listen to Podcast. I started off with Beverly Meyer that introduced me to primal living and pointed me towards Marks Daily Apple site. Every night I put my headphones in and listen to one of the many paleo podcasters out there. It helps keep me motivated and on track!

Em
        "Adapt and Overcome"

Comment

• Emofedom- here's a link to Dr. Johnson's site. It will tell you how the diet works, and there is also a calorie calculator. It depends on your height/weight/activity level/sex.

UpDayDownDay Diet™ Plan ? How to Succeed

I really recommend the book, The Alternate Day Diet. It is not very expensive, and explains the science and auxiliary benefits very well.

Also, you can go to the Lowcarbfriends forum, and look at their JUDDD thread. They have a good overview.

My suggestions would be:

Understand it before you start. It is flexible, but there are some definite rules. You can't just eat low-calorie a few times and expect miracles.

Understand that it is a SLOW diet. Average weight loss is 1-1.25 pounds per week, after the first whoosh.

Also, it is not a steady downward slope for most people. From what I have seen, MANY women lose for a bit, then hold steady for a bit, then start losing again, making their average, but maybe having two weeks where nothing seems to be happening. You have to be ready for this, and willing to wait it out.
          Last edited by Sabine; 08-08-2013, 07:32 AM.

Comment

• Thanks for the info Sabine. I will definitely be checking into it.

Em
            "Adapt and Overcome"

Comment

• Love pixie hair cuts, my DD had one when she was younger, now her hair is back down to her waist, personally I think she is adorable either way.

I lived in Florida before everyone had cental HVAC systems. We had a window AC in the living room (only on when the whole family gathered there for dinner and an hour or so of tv), and my parents had one in their room that was only on when they were sleeping and their door was closed! Anyway, we used to powder our sheets. I think with baby powder, but it could have been corn starch. It keeps you from sticking to your sheets and actually did make you feel cooler. Very light dusting. We each had our own floor fan in front of our bed as well. Good news was there was no reason to hang out inside during the day since it likely felt better outside than in! We ended up getting a pool by my freshman year in high school, not everyone had one then, made us very popular! There were 4 of us kids, and even if we each only had one friend over, we were having a pool party!
              Chris
              "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
              Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Emofedom View Post
                I have Mark's PB cookbook and I have nomnompaleo cookbook app. Since you seem to have quite the collection of them.... What's your top picks for someone like me that's pretty new to paleo/ primal cooking?

I listen to Podcast. I started off with Beverly Meyer that introduced me to primal living and pointed me towards Marks Daily Apple site. Every night I put my headphones in and listen to one of the many paleo podcasters out there. It helps keep me motivated and on track!

Em
                "Adapt and Overcome"
                Em, I would stick with recipes from the internet rather than accumulate a lot of cookbooks that you may or may not use. I like to actually look at cookbooks before I buy them, for the most part. I can get some of them at the library and decide if I'm really going to use them or not. There are so many good recipes free online - find a few favorite blogs and get them that way. The best way to find new food blogs is through the ones you already read/like. Michelle at Nom Nom Paleo regularly features other bloggers, and I haven't seen a bad one yet. She also features people who aren't paleo but have some d@mn good recipes, particularly vegetable.
                My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I listened to the podcast while I was doing my dinner prep. It is an enjoyable, getting-to-know-you piece, but not chock full of info for those who have knowledge of primal/paleo already. It did make me moreelto buy the book sooner, rather than later, though I can't pinpoint why. Though...I DO love those accents!

Comment

• Wow that's great Sabine! I agree, I'm glad you have found something that works. Keep up the good work. I had to chuckle at your "touching" the 160's! I briefly touched the 190's last summer...it was such a feeling...but kinda unreal. I hadn't seen those numbers for almost 30 years! lol.

I would like to try the fasting thing but will have to wait until I get this thyroid/adrenal thing straightened out. I did some fasting last year before I found out that it wasn't a good idea for me personally & I liked doing it. So we'll see.

Hope you have a great evening...or what's left of it.
                    hugs,
                    pc
                    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• I am a visual learner, I get virtually nothing out of listening to a podcast. Too bad since there are so many to choose from.
                      Chris
                      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                      Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I'm glad your enjoying them. I get a lot out of them.

Em
                        "Adapt and Overcome"

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                          I am a visual learner, I get virtually nothing out of listening to a podcast. Too bad since there are so many to choose from.
                          Some podcasts have transcripts. I will read transcripts but listening to the actual podcast kind of drives me crazy-- seems to take too long to get to the point.

Comment

• Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                            Some podcasts have transcripts. I will read transcripts but listening to the actual podcast kind of drives me crazy-- seems to take too long to get to the point.
                            exactly, and when I am listening if I get impatient, I just tune it out. I will have to start checking to see if the ones I am interested in have transcripts, thanks
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Podcasts are hard to listen to......... I'd much rather see a video or just read it.
                              1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion
                              9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Sabine, that spiral slicer is marked down to $22.50 on Amazon and is worth every penny! I zoodled 10 quarts of zucchini today and enjoyed every second. I was sad to run out of zucchini. So, get it girl while the price is awesome! I think I paid $32 or $33 for mine just Wednesday, so the sale price is new, but probably won't last forever.
                                Primal since March 5, 2012
                                SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

Working...
                                X