Show, then aid - Sabine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Emofedom View Post
    It looks cool. I'd never heard or thought of this. Do you feel that helps? It's got me curious now. My country family would laugh and say "here's a shovel, now go find tree to squat behind and save yourself some money." Hahaha :P

Em
    "Adapt and Overcome"
    It absolutely helps. You don't need anything fancy, although it would be nice to have something nice looking. I simply use two very sturdy cardboard boxes that came with fatwood in them - very thick and well made. Perfect height. You don't need to squat deeply, just get your knees higher than your hips. It straightens the end of the alimentary canal. The shovel and tree idea is not bad though. We'd probably all be healthier if we did that.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Originally posted by Siobhan View Post
      It absolutely helps. You don't need anything fancy, although it would be nice to have something nice looking. I simply use two very sturdy cardboard boxes that came with fatwood in them - very thick and well made. Perfect height. You don't need to squat deeply, just get your knees higher than your hips. It straightens the end of the alimentary canal. The shovel and tree idea is not bad though. We'd probably all be healthier if we did that.
      Ok well i guess I'm going to have to try it. Lol. My husband is gonna give me some very serious looks when he sees my make shift squatting stools, isn't he? Ahhhhh who cares. He does this anyways.

Em
      "Adapt and Overcome"

Comment

• Originally posted by Emofedom View Post
        Ok so I've researching the up day and down day diet that y'all have been talking about. Got questions?

Did you at the being feel deprived on your down day and overly stuffed on your up day? And have you seen any results? I ask because my weight gain was pretty gradual and it seems likes it is gonna take both guns fully loaded to get it off and to a healthy weight. I think I'm willing to do whatever it takes to be at a healthier weight.

I look forward to that look from all my friends and family when they realize... I finally did it!

Em
        "Adapt and Overcome"
        First on the squatting- I agree, it definitely helps. The thing that convinced me to try it, was when I saw diagrams showing how the muscles down there work when you are standing, sitting, and squatting. After that, it just made sense. Sitting while eliminating is liking holding the door closed.

About Alternate Day Fasting or JUDDD. I did not feel deprived on my Down Days, perhaps because I have had some experience with fasting. I actually found the Down Days where I would eat a LITTLE to be harder than the ones where I ate NOTHING, at least at first, because once I START eating, I want to keep going! Now, all the different ways I do Down Days seem pretty easy. (Of course, there is always a day or two that's rough sometimes. That's just life.)

In the beginning, I DID tend to overeat on the Up Days, mostly for mental reasons, sort of preparing myself for the coming 'deprivation'. (It did NOT affect my weight loss, even so.) Now, I rarely feel that way. My big splurge a couple of days ago was not from a mental reason, but just for blueberry enjoyment and hunger.

I HAVE seen results. I started at 202.0 on March 5th, and my latest post-Up Day weight was 173.0. Twenty-nine pounds in five months. Also, I have had to get new clothes, because everything was too big. I even feel like I can SEE a difference, and you know, that is usually the last thing to happen. It is not a QUICK method, but I am finding it to be very sustainable, and I feel confident that it will get me to my goal.

It is also a good STEALTH method. With some planning, you can appear to be eating at most meals, which can be important sometimes. For instance, I have some friends who notice what I eat(or don't). It can get old. Even if I am meeting them on a Down Day, I can have a salad with dressing on the side, and I look like I am eating 'normal healthy' stuff, not that crazy low-carb or something even wackier. I just want to avoid the eyerolls, you know?

Comment

• The Future is Now

Yesterday I posted this on the lowcarbfriends forum:

Weighing Post-Up Day

Some thoughts.

I take as my weight, the number I get AFTER an Up Day.

For two reasons. I am thinking that my maintenance will be one of these options: doing 4:3, doing 5:2, or keeping to ADF, but having the Down Days when I am below goal be more of Moderate Days.

Any of those, most of my days will have a medium or normal amount of eating, so most of my weights will be taken AFTER Up/Eating Days. So, I figure I should get used to the weights on those kind of days.

Secondly, that if I take my post-Down Day weight as 'hitting goal', I will immediately go up after my next Up Day. Mentally, I don't like that. I want to BE AT 154, and sometimes go below, NOT be at 154, and often going up.

A side benefit to this, is that I will 'touch' a new low several time after Down Days, before I get to it after my Up Days. By the time I do, I really feel like I've earned it. It feels real to me, and not as if it is just a fluke.

I wanted to figure out my thinking on this, because, for the first time in 20 years, I am about to go into the 160s. It seems almost unreal, and yet I am not excited, just looking forward to it a a pleasant way. It seems very real and inevitable, not like a fantasy. I like it.

Your thoughts?

This morning, my post-Down Day weight was.....169.5.

The first time I have been in the 160s, even for a minute, in twenty years.

I'm touching it! Soon I'll be holding it!

Comment

• ^ That's what I like about this. It works well with business trips (with a bit of planning).
            -- Ruth

Comment

• (Above was a cross post -- I was pointing to your earlier post).

Oh, Sabine, how exciting!!!!!!!!!!

For me, it's the weight after an UD that "counts". The reason, for me, is that on DDs, my "tank" is often empty. It's not a representative weight (at that point). As soon as I eat "normally", it goes back up. So, in maintenance, if my upper weight 135, then that's the highest weight I want to see after a "normal" or "UD". It's like after the stomach flu. Have I lost 8-10 pounds? Yeah. But, as soon as I rehydrate, it's coming back. Having said, in weight loss mode, I enjoy seeing those lower numbers, because it means that at some point soon, I soon be able to "realize" those numbers
              -- Ruth

Comment

• To the post regarding squatting and JUDDD, I totally agree.

On Squatting, I figured it out when I realized that things went easier when I bent over while going, and thought it would be better if I just lifted my knees. I have 2 folding stools in the bathroom, DH thinks it is funny.

On the 4:3, I don't want the hubs or the kids or my friends "worried" because I am not eating. DD was excessively worried about the low carb thing. With the 4:3 she could not tell I was doing anything different than she was (she is a vegetarian), less worry for her-worth it because I don't want her getting into the whole dieting scene.

On weighing, I weigh every day. My thinking in general is that I need a goal range, which I think will be 160 to 165. So my current weight is a range as well. Reaching the top of the range during maintenance will mean an extra down day a week until I am back at the bottom of the range. Given the reasons for fluctuations I think a single number is not reliable. But if I am forced to give one I always give the lowest, it is almost impossible to "cheat" to get a lower number, (except in the case of a stomach virus) but a huge number of things unrelated to how much fat I carry can change the number in an upward direction. Measurements are much more reliable, but a tight pair of pants (or skirt) for me are the most reliable.
                Chris
                "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• 169.5... wow! Congratulations. I saw 170 after a run the other day... of course, I didn't count it b/c it wasn't real... it was a dehydrated weight. So what you say above makes total sense to me.
                  Primal since March 5, 2012
                  SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Wow, what great news! I'm a bit lost with all the 5:2, 4:3 up day/down day stuff. I know it has to do with forms of intermittent fasting, but I've not really researched it.

I'm also doing intermittent fasting, but a different method. Mine is daily 20:4 (fasting 20 hours and eating within a 4-hour window) for three days a week and 16:8 for 4 days a week, always eating around 2000 calories. But no matter the method, the results are similar, pretty slow but reliable weight loss and appearing to most around me as though I am not really dieting. Also since 2000 calories is roughly the amount of food that a person who is at my goal weight should eat, it is sustainable.

But trying to figure out when to actually weigh yourself is tricky. I have been weighing myself at the gym, before I work out. If I weigh myself after the workout, I am 1 - 2 pounds lighter. If I weigh myself early the next day before I eat anything, I am likely to weigh a pound or two less than this!

I think it really doesn't matter as long as you do it the same way every time.
                    Height: 5' 10"
                    Starting Weight: 292
                    Starting Primal Weight: 275
                    Current weight: 224
                    Goal weight: 172
                    Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• HOORAY!!!!

It is so great that you have found something that works for you and also that you have shared it with everyone. You're the best!

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Originally posted by dcarr10760 View Post

i think it really doesn't matter as long as you do it the same way every time.
                        ^this
                        Primal since March 5, 2012
                        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• The gym

Today I went to the gym.

To lift weights.

I did not enjoy it.

But I did it.

I feel I should note down some starting numbers, so that I can (hopefully) look back in a couple of months, and say, 'Wow'.

Or laugh hysterically. Either will do.

Me:

Arms l-r 12.5-12.75
                          Upper ribs 39.75
                          Lower ribs 35.25
                          Waist 37.5
                          Hips 42.75
                          Thighs l-r 23.0-23.25

Exercises and weights:

Flys 40
                          Pulldowns 45
                          Chest press 30
                          Overheads 30
                          Rows 50
                          Arm curls 20
                          Ab/adductors 60
                          Leg press 120
                          Leg curls 50
                          Leg extensions 50

There it is. I'll check back in a couple of months.

Comment

• In other news...

MIddlest had her hair cut. She now has a very cute pixie. Where did those cheekbones come from? It looks great.

Our A/C went out. The repair crew is coming tomorrow. I am hoping it is something covered by warranty. We have the attic fan blasting, and are sweating up a storm. Both daughters went off to spend the night with friends in air-conditioned domiciles. We're keeping t-shirts in the freezer, and taking them out every so often to drape over the dogs.

I'm going to be making two recipes from 'Everyday Paleo' tomorrow. Prunes stuffed with sausage and wrapped in bacon, and devilled eggs with sun-dried tomatoes whirred in.

I now have THREE t.v. series on dvd from the library in my possession: Numb3rs, Fringe, and The Walking Dead. I need to schedule some serious sitting down time. Hmmm. I'll be waiting around for the A/C tomorrow, anyways! Problem solved.

I sorted through a six-inch stack of papers today, and got it down to two inches of keepers. Not bad.

My kombucha is VERY tart. I sipped a small glass today. I'm thinking a shorter fermentation may be in order.

Very tempted to order that new primal book. But it has to get in line behind the spiral slicer and Paleo magazine.

Comment

• I am interested in the new primal book, but I have already pre-ordered Nom Nom Paleo's book and I think I am reaching critical mass on paleo cookbooks. Also, the free giveaways are books that I already have! Hmmmm.

Did you listen to the podcast?

Comment

• No, I'm not much of a podcast gal. I like to know what I am getting into before I listen to something. Was it good?

Comment

Working...
                                X