No announcement yet.

Show, then aid - Sabine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have an awesome mid-century modern bread box, I keep all of my teas in it.

I hang my onions in the pantry, individually tied in panty hose (ala Alton Brown). But I like the pottery jar idea, if the bread box wasn't taking up so much of the counter space

glass dome with ornaments (or pumpkins) and such would make a lovely table center piece for holidays.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• The bread box is completely utilitarian. Not worth keeping just for looks.

I keep my fruit under glass to keep the fruit flies in check. And I love how it looks.

Yesterday a friend told me that she can see I've lost a lot of weight. Even since June.

Just completed a project. An emotionally draining one. It wiped me out for continuing on something I am more interested in, and made me realize that this is one commitment that needs to END. This is the last time.

Making potato salad for Honey's birthday which is coming up in a few days. He likes it when it is properly 'aged'. I have the potatoes and eggs boiled. Next step, a massive amount of chopping. The aforementioned plus apple, tomato, pickle, onion. Mmm.

Comment

• Big pouty face

Someone stepped on my toes on the internet.

I may have started it.

They took exception to something I wrote, and I felt miffed at the way they expressed themselves back. Of such things are hurt feelings made, I guess.

Maybe I should sprinkle more happy faces around, to show I mean no harm. I try my best to be polite and clear, but they obviously thought I was attacking them.

Tried to straighten it out.

We'll see if it works, but even so, I am now somewhat crushed by their return 'attack'. And this was someone whose threads I always looked at, because they seemed to generate interesting topics.

Oh well.

I shall now go in the corner and eat worms.

Comment

• Someone you know or just some stranger on reddit?
          SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333
          Current Weight as of Nov 25 2015: 248
          Short Term Goal: Fit into the shirts I got on my honeymoon at disney and universal in august next year when I go back to for my 1 year anniversary
          Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension
          Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
          Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Comment

• I don't know if I 'know' them, but we have chatted on a few threads in the past weeks.

Comment

• I am always bothered when something I say is taken as a personal attack. Without inflections and facial expressions and body language I am not as good at expressing some things. I NEVER mean anything I say in threads as anything but (hopefully) helpful. I saw a quote just yesterday I think applies... "the way people treat you is a statement about who they are as a human being. It is not a statement about you".
              Chris
              "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
              Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Six disparate topics

I do my best to be a nice person. I remember one time when I was TRYING to be mean(out of aggravation at how someone was treating me). It infuriated me that my 'revenge' was seen by him as evidence of stupidity. He couldn't imagine that I would have done something like that on purpose. Grrr! I had great pleasure in seeing the expression on his face when I told him, 'sometimes people aren't stupid. They're MEAN!' And, he treated me a lot better after that. Don't mess with Sabine when her dander's up!

Heading into a celebration day tomorrow. We'll be going out for Mexican food for lunch, and having potato salad and bratwurst for dinner, followed by chocolate cake! I'm not going to have the cake, but I WILL have ice cream.

My kombucha SCOBY was looking hale and hearty after 11 days, so I brewed up some tea, and started a batch. I think the hardest part of the instructions will be 'leave the jar undisturbed'. Already I am wanting to look at it. You know, just to SEE. I have it on top of the fridge, so I can't keep turning it.

I'm having fun with my rug, trying out a different twining technique. it is keeping me on my toes. I've had to rip out a couple of times. I'm using up scraps from the last rug, and a few whole shirts and one dress, that got tossed because IT WAS WAY TOO BIG!

The Achilles is still bothering me. I need to schedule a couple of back to back days of 'foot up' time. It's hard, because you need to use your feet to, you know, get around and do everything! Honey says we should get me one of those wheelies walkers, where you can prop up one of your legs. I can just see it.

Edged the lawn this morning, while Honey was mowing and was rewarded by a sneezing fit. At least it looks good. And the other day I crawled into my corner cupboard in the kitchen, dragged everything out, scrubbed and wiped, sorted, and put back about half of it. The rest got tossed, packed into the garage, or sent to the thrift store. Felt very pleased with myself. This house WILL be ready for my mother-in-law's visit! I think the most daunting task will be vacuuming up the spiderwebs. I LIKE having spiderwebs in my corners. They are catching bugs for us! I always try to warn the spiders, verbally, and by disturbing the webs a couple hours beforehand, but I know they don't all move out in time. I feel very sad about vacuuming them up.

Comment

• Excited to hear about the kombucha. I'm too scared that I'll poison us to try and make it

Your celebration day sounds yummy!

Wow, you really CLEAN for your MIL. I make sure her room is clean, but rarely do much more
                  -- Ruth

Comment

• Well, I'm such a slob in general, that it is good to have a spur to action.

The site I got the kombucha instructions from, culturesforhealth, has what I think are very clear guidelines on how to keep it safe, including danger signs to look for. That said, I was very struck by something I heard on the radio. It was a guy with a fermenting book, I can't remember his name, but one of those huge, packed full of info on every aspect of the sport kind of books. He brought up the recent news about illness and even death from some contaminated foods (spinach et al) and then said, "do you know how many reported illnesses there are of deaths from fermented foods? Zero."

So I'm not too worried.

Comment

• I am pretty sure one of the reasons DH likes to have company over regularly is to get the house cleaned. I keep the bathrooms and kitchen very clean the rest of the house is tidy at best. But when we have company I always do the dusting and the floors. Plus the food is better for company!
                      Chris
                      Unknown

Comment

• The food. That's why my DH LOVES company.
                        -- Ruth

Comment

• Whole lot of food talk

I'm trying to eat out of our freezer for the next two weeks, to cut down on spending, so I made a list of what all is in there, and worked up some menus. A task for today- defrost the turkey, so I can make turkey-pork meatballs for veg and meatball soup later in the week. I love making meatballs. It's very satisfying to pinch and roll, and end up with scores of little nuggets to plop in the boiling water. One of life's simple pleasures.

We have discovered that Salem LOVES blueberries. Now there will be more of us, fighting for a share of every pint.

Food plans for today are:
                          Breakfast of two eggs, some bacon, and greens, and about ten blueberries. Lunch will be out at Chuy's(Mexican). I will probably have fajitas sans tortillas, rice, or beans. I bought a new deli item from the seafood counter yesterday, ceviche, and a can of clams, and that will be available for an afternoon snack. Dinner is bratwurst, potato salad, sauerkraut, rotkohl with dessert of cheesecake options and ice cream. You can see the danger spots, I am sure. But it is what it is. I will drink plenty of water, and try not to gasp when I see my weight rocket upwards tomorrow.

About the cheesecake. My plans were to have none of the chocolate cake, and enjoy some of the ice cream. However, no chocolate cake to be had! Only white cake frosted in chocolate. And a flourless chocolate cake(yay!) made with SOYBEAN OIL (boo!).

Well, Honey loves cheesecake, so we got the sampler, with triple chocolate, plain, strawberry, and caramel. You see the difficulty. Honey loves cheesecake, and SO DO I! I can pass on flour-cake, but not on CHEESEcake. Or perhaps it will be more fair to say I WON'T pass on cheesecake. I COULD, but I choose not to. Willpower is too important a tool to waste on a mission like that.

The only compromise I can think of is to have a miniscule portion of potato salad. And no ice cream. Ice cream doesn't really go with cheesecake, after all. But what's the likelihood?

To celebrate his birthday, Honey is off on a mammoth biking tour. He is hitting four of his favorite spots today, and will be biking about 70 miles. He, obviously, can eat all the cheesecake and potato salad his heart desires. I'm going along on the afternoon ones, for some walking and lounging in the park. I may bring my rug frame, and work on that a bit. Only made one mistake in the twining yesterday. My brain is slowly catching on to this new pattern.

Off to wrap presents!

Comment

• Sounds like a beautiful day. I love to read your posts.

I LOVE cooking, but don't really enjoy making meatballs. Not sure why? I love chopping and prepping veggies and meals with a lot of steps (assuming I have time to cook, of course). Who knows.

I've been working through our freezer as well. It's just about empty. Time to buy another 1/4 cow.
                            -- Ruth

Comment

• Originally posted by RMS123 View Post
                              Sounds like a beautiful day. I love to read your posts.

Thank you, Ruth. That's nice to hear.

I was jazzed to read that your DH is trying ADF. I hope he makes it through those first days okay. They CAN be hard. Maybe he'll be one of those that get the 'power surge' on the fourth Down Day, though. They feel great!

Comment

• I think he'll do better this next round if I plan more volume for him. And, perhaps something (salted celery?) he can snack on. Actually, I suspect that it will only be 2 or 3 weeks and he'll be ready for maintenance (sigh, life is not fair sometimes). Then, he'll only have to manage for one day a week to maintain. But, it's fun to have a companion, even if for only 1 or 2 days of the week!
                                -- Ruth

Comment

Working...
                                X