Show, then aid - Sabine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• La Madeline again

I was meeting with a friend yesterday. I thought it would be at our normal coffee shop, but she wanted to go to La Madeline's, so the tomato-basil soup got another trial. Not a pure test, as I also had salad. A few hours later, there was a little stomach rumbling, but nothing major, and no mad dashes to the bathroom were required. Although later results were somewhat off the norm. So... I need to test the soup again, and on its own this time. I think I should schedule a specific visit. This one caught me off guard, and once I arrived, rather flustered from running around on errands beforehand, I didn't want to have a lone bowl of soup. The roasted-pear and prosciutto salad was excellent, by the way.

My weight has made another jump downwards, which looks as though it is sticking. Very satisfying. I may catch up with Honey sooner than I thought.

My mother-in-law is coming for a visit next month. Two weeks, so there will be no getting around her seeing what my eating plan is. I am somewhat apprehensive. She is of the 'all things in moderation' school, which works for her. Not for me. But two weeks is too long for me to take a break, or be sneaky about a few Down Days. Plus, Honey talks about ADF with everyone. For all I know, he may have already told her. I just hope there aren't any eyeroll type moments. I AM the lightest I have been in 15 years, so she'll be able to see it is working for me. (Especially in my snazzy new, form-fitting wardrobe, soon to be acquired!)

An added complication: she is a carb-heavy eater. When her blood sugar dips, she needs to eat PRONTO. Or she gets cranky. I still remember one unpleasant incident. So, there will be more meals going on. And we'll have to have more bread in the house. Right now, we have gotten to the point of just keeping one loaf in the freezer. I never would have thought I'd see the time when Honey did not automatically have two slices of toast as soon as he came home from work. But he seems to have lost the habit. We had to switch the bread to the freezer, because no one was eating it up before it went bad. Even the girls eat less bread. All on their own- I'm not restricting it.

And of course, I need to clean the house top to bottom. Frabjous joy. And just before Middlest heads off to college. I will be a busy camper.

I DO like my mother-in-law, so once she gets here, it will be a fun time. But there are anticipatory worries.

Comment

• Bread is the product of Satan.

I used to be just like your M-I-L in the cranky regard. Yep, I can relate. I would absolutely lose control if I didn't eat regularly. I don't miss those days.

When you're done cleaning your house, can you come over here? Just kidding. (No, I'm not.)
      My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Yep, I was exactly like your M-I-L regarding needing to eat. I would just have easy food available for her, cheese, veggies and dip, fruit, etc. Keep some bread in the freezer for her, no problem as you have obviously gotten used to that. She will feel better if she switches away from empty carbs anyway.

My M-I-L was not my biggest fan, she didn't think I was raising the children right (among many other things I was wrong about), even though she would readily admit they were wonderful kids. My response to her comments was always just a smile, and to continue on my way. Now that she is gone, I am glad I was mature about it, I would feel so guilty now if I had responded!
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Ouch

Somehow I have hurt my Achilles tendon. I went walking on Saturday morning, no problems, but Sunday morning, my right Achilles started hurting. Just a little, but it was weird, because I was just getting dressed, not doing anything strenuous. It's slowly getting worse, and when I looked at it today, I was alarmed to see it is swollen. So I'm icing and elevating. My plans for tomorrow and Friday, are being switched around. There will now be plenty of rest.

This may put the kibosh on my shopping spree.

In other news, I was at a local store I frequent today, and saw a young man I know. He was in the same class as Eldest. He's been working at this store since he was a senior, then last year he went somewhere else, and now he is back again. He has gotten fat. I feel so bad for him, a young kid with his life ahead of him, and now having to deal with a weight problem. Probably like 50 pounds. I didn't say anything, one doesn't, but I wanted to heap advice on him. Be exactly the kind of interfering busybody we all bemoan. (Except, of course, I'M RIGHT! )

Feeling mentally hungry right now, but not wanting to eat. Just another hour, and then I'll be busy getting Middlest and friend, and after that I can go to bed, and wake up and eat tomorrow. I do NOT need anymore food.

But I want me some.

Littlest made cream puffs today. Coincidence? I think not.

Mind over matter. Mind over matter.

Interested to see how the jury decides in the Martin/Zimmerman trial. I think this is a case I will be interested in reading the book about, when it comes out. So many issues. We had a spirited discussion at lunch. Apparently there was quite a bit of talk about it at Honey's office, too.

Comment

• Ooh, sorry about the achilles problem. I've had that before - definately not fun.

I'm so inspired by your continued progress. While I've been going to wrong way, I keep knowing that there is hope (some day).
            -- Ruth

Comment

• Thanks, Ruth! It feels good to be inspiring. And it is a relief to have found something that is WORKING for me!

I'll be keeping my foot up some more today, and trying to find a good position for my rug frame, so that I can get these last few rows done.

Comment

• You'll have to post a picture of the rug when it's done
                -- Ruth

Comment

• Hope the achilles calms down. That is always a problematic tendon.

I have the same issue with a young woman in my church - two years ago, at 15, she was small and slender. Now at 17 she is no taller but at least 50 lbs. heavier. So hard to see and not want to do something to help.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• There is a big taboo in our culture about saying things about people being fat. I think because we relate overweight to a lack of self-control. You would not just be pointing out a physical condition that they might need help correcting, but also a personal flaw.

Plus how difficult it is to lose weight.

Plus trust issues.

Plus, plus, plus!

But it still makes me want to figure out how to do something.

Comment

• Speaking of taboos, there is another young woman at church, about 2 years older, who is skeletally thin. She was always quite slender but now she is skinny, skinny, skinny. She has fainted twice at church the last couple of months. I really want to sit her down and give her some good bone broth. Of course I keep my mouth shut.

Comment

• If the achilles thing keeps up despite RICE-ing it, you might look at the sciatic nerve. It starts in the hip and ends in the heel. I once thought I had an achilles tendonitis going on and went to my sports med doc (I was half marathon training at the time so it was logical to assume tendonitis) and she worked on my hip. When I asked why she didn't work on my ankle, she showed me the biomechanical chart hanging in her office that showed the nerve she was focusing on. Sure enough, the achilles pain was gone in a couple of days. if it seems to linger no matter what you do, you might bring it up to a chiropractor.

I hope things go well with the MIL. And of course, we all know if she'd quit eating the empty carbs, she wouldn't need empty carbs every 2 hours to maintain her mood/blood sugar.
                        Primal since March 5, 2012
                        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Regarding saying something to someone...I know that if/when someone says something to me, I have never taken it well. To the person who says something, I smile and say thanks, to myself I say "I will check with you again in a couple of months" it has been my experience that no one who has ever offered me advice has either kept their weight off or stayed on whatever diet they were sure was the final answer or they were naturally skinny and could not possibly understand. So, when the reverse is happening, and I have the diet/lifestyle I know is the final answer, I keep my mouth shut. I figure when I finally do hit on the one that is the final answer, I will be 100 pounds thinner and people who are interested will ask me.
                          Chris
                          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                          Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Comment

• In which Sabine is girly. Squee!

After a day of icing and elevating and watching movie after movie after movie, my Achilles feels...tender. But not stabbing. So, I'm going to do my morning stuff, and if it feels the same, attempt my thrift store spree.

I did my prep last night by listing all my items of clothing (except workout, fancy, and underthings) by type and color, noting what HAD to be replaced due to stains, etc, what I especially liked, and what I hardly ever wore. My outfit today is skin-tight leggings and a tank, so I can try everything on over it.

My weight has thrown me a bone by clocking in at 175 this morning, so that I am at my lightest, and feeling SASSY! Just the right mood to go shopping in.

I'm EXCITED!

Comment

• Awesome news on the heel and the weight and the shopping!!!!!
                                Primal since 9/24/2010
                                "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                                MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Working...
                                X