No announcement yet.

Show, then aid - Sabine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would be very sad if it were the onions. Guess I would just resign myself to feeling gassy, because I LOVE onions.

Comment

• Looking good.

I was perusing the forum this morning, and happened on a post by someone who was experimenting with going shampoo-less, and freaking out at the condition of her hair.

This is not to get on the case of people who are freaking out about their looks. I freak out plenty my ownself over various things. But it got me thinking.

Have we so conquered nature, genetics, our own human-ness that we NEED to look good all the time? Either to ourselves or others?

There is an unspoken agreement for most jobs, and even just being out in public, that we look presentable. Clean, and groomed to various degrees.

But what if we don't conform to the narrow idea of what that looks like. If your hair freaks out over baking soda, how does that change our situation? Will we lose a job because of a bad hair week? Will others think less of us?

Sadly, the answers might be 'yes'. Man is still a status pack animal, even in a modern democracy. And looks make up a good component of out status. People treat us certain ways, we even treat ourselves certain ways, based on how we look.

Will the subliminal thought be, how can she control the accounts, if she can't even control her hair?

Even a turban for the transition time, might be thought of as too strange. People might start thinking of you as 'that weirdo'. And (most) men can't even attempt the turban without extremer reactions.

Remember the flurry of news stories a few years back, about people shaving their heads in emotional solidarity with loved ones undergoing chemo? Bald became chic and acceptable, but only because of the underlying REASON.

Is our reason of wanting to be more primal regarding the amount of chemicals we put on our bodies acceptable to society at large? I think not. And face it, we still would have to provide the reason, for even a minimum of acceptance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
        I would be very sad if it were the onions. Guess I would just resign myself to feeling gassy, because I LOVE onions.
        Don't worry too much. I still eat onions every now and then, but not too much. I used to sautee them into everything and then had GERD. That sent me down this weird path with HCl supplements that may/may not have been worth it. In the end I realized too much gas in itself can cause GERD and when I stopped putting onions into so many things my digestion got a lot better.
        Starting weight: 225
        Current weight: 195
        Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
        Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
        My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Comment

• Mmmm... onion. Mark had a posting a few weeks ago on high sulphur foods. Not sure if you caught it or not but hopefully it may gain some insite on the pros and cons of foods like onion in your diet.

Why You Should Eat Sulfur-Rich Vegetables | Mark's Daily Apple
          SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333
          Current Weight as of Nov 25 2015: 248
          Short Term Goal: Fit into the shirts I got on my honeymoon at disney and universal in august next year when I go back to for my 1 year anniversary
          Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension
          Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
          Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Comment

• sabine...you are so deep sometimes!!! you amaze me!!

While I care how I look, its not something I stress out over. I want to look good because of the way it makes me feel...& for my hunny...but mostly for me.
            Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• Interesting point Sabine. That'll give me something to think about on the hike.
              Don't let nobody try and take your soul. You're the original . --Switchfoot- The Original

GW: 135 SW: 156.8 CW: 156.8

Comment

• Alessandra- thanks for looking at my journal and commenting. I'm always surprised by how many Texans there are on the forum. Don't know why, as it is a huge state. I guess since I never meet any folk who are interested in primal living here in the suburbs, I assume they are thin on the ground in general. Enjoy your hike!
                PrimalCajun- if the thoughts are deep, it must be because they came to me in the tub. One thing I am really enjoying about the journal, is the chance to think out loud about topics i probably should have thought about long ago. I like looking good, but it has never been high enough on my priority list to put a lot of effort into. I am amazed at people who look pulled together ALL the time. About the best I can hope for is to be clean and color co-ordinated(mostly- I see no reason why orange and pink can't co-exist!).

Comment

• Been reading Sabine's great journal and noticed this. Yep. Onions make me gassy too! I figure most everyone on here is from Texas and that you and ecks and I are holding up the edges! Wait. longing2bfit is from Northern California, isn't she?

Originally posted by Lex26 View Post
                  Dairy can make me gassy, but I've also learned while studying my journal in the last three months that onions make me ULTRA gassy. Love em, but there's no mistaking it: They're probably my worst gas offender. Track how you feel the next time you eat dairy or a lot of onions.

Comment

• Ahh, but I'm not a native Texan. I can never claim that. My kid does, but I was born and raised in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Man do I miss that place on hot days like today! Where's the ocean when I need a good swim Hey, you'd think with the amount of beef around here, people would jump right on this boat.
                    Don't let nobody try and take your soul. You're the original . --Switchfoot- The Original

GW: 135 SW: 156.8 CW: 156.8

Comment

• Sabine --

Rolling in laughter of some of the journal threads here. The body parts' stuff is pretty fun! Glad some of you are checking into Old Fat Guy's journal. If you haven't, it's worth it. He's got a good head on his shoulders and a helluva sense of humor! And he loves goooood food!

Comment

• Virginia definitely works. Stayed in Middleburg and Chincoteague and visited Assateague. Great place in Chincoteague with Oysters a la Russell. Buttered sauteed oysters over whole grain bread. That was a loooooong time ago.

Well, it may be hotter in Texas but do they have the mosquitos that were in Virginia? Remember wearing helmet like things with mosquito netting. Wait! Are you telling me it's hot today? Man, we had snow 3-4 days ago and froze our butts off!

I think there must be a point when you are Texan or Washingtonian or whatever. Actually, I'm not native here either. Brought up in Hollywood, California. Born in Long Beach, California. Don't know if I could manage away from the ocean. Kind of think I'd get the opposite of island fever!

Originally posted by Alessandra View Post
                        Ahh, but I'm not a native Texan. I can never claim that. My kid does, but I was born and raised in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Man do I miss that place on hot days like today! Where's the ocean when I need a good swim Hey, you'd think with the amount of beef around here, people would jump right on this boat.

Comment

• Chincoteague and Assateague - I've been there! What a surreal place. Sometimes I would wake up thinking about giant birds, jellyfish everywhere and horses that swim from island to island and think, that was a weird dream. Oh no, that was yesterday for real! And yeah, I miss those Virginia scallops so much. Bleh - nothing I've found on the west coast compares so far.
                          Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
                          My Primal Journey

Comment

• I was born in San Francisco, and grew up in Northern California, went to school in Santa Barbara. I still think of myself as a Californian, even after 20 years in Texas. But I'm enough of a Texan to say y'all and to be in love with our big skies out here. And yes, you'd think Texans would be all over grass-fed beef. Maybe in the country, but most of the Texas population now lives in modern cities and suburbs, and they are all about convenience, baby, and packages of plastic-wrapped goodness. Very sad, when you think of the herds of buffalo that used to cover the central States. This entire country could go grass-fed, and improve the environment while improving our health. Instead, we are plowing under our blessings for the sake of corn and soybeans.

Comment

• Nothing like a lazy weekend

I really didn't do much this past weekend, and it was great. I feel rested.

The idea of fasting keeps playing around in my head. The few studies I've looked at indicate a protective factor for the body's cells after two or three days, so that's what I am considering.

But I have some CW concerns.

My honey and I were talking about the article in Harper's, and he asked what was the difference between fasting and anorexia. I felt it is a difference in motivation. Although some anorexics might use fasting, and some fasters might find themselves with anorexic proclivities, the goal of anorexics was to control: their body, their environment, their lives. The goal of fasters was improved health, weight-loss, cleansing, or spiritual enlightenment THROUGH a particular kind of control. I might be talking through my hat, but it felt like a difference to me.

I have two daughters at home. I feel that they have pretty healthy attitudes toward eating and their bodies. Although they do not eat strictly primal, they believe it is healthy, and limit their SAD stuff of their own accord. But they are out there in the world, exposed to all the low-fat, low-calories sqvatch that goes on. I wonder what message they might attach to a fast, regardless of what I say I am doing it for. I'm thinking of bringing up my fears about cancer (because of my father) and my hopes for cell-protection, but that's a heavy subject to get into. Doesn't feel like I can just whip it out any time. (And I am super-liberal, and regularly talk about politics, sex, religion, social mores, the whole shebang, at our dinner table. So this is definitely a biggie for me, if I'm reluctant to talk to my family about it. Might need to work through it more on my own, first.)

So I have been thinking of a stealth fast. Which goes against my like of openness, but, still, so tempting right now. Been thinking of our family's schedule, and which days it would be easy to avoid dinner(that's the only meal we all eat together). The Tuesday's when we have girl scout meetings(twice a month) are our crock-pot nights: everyone serve yourself when it is convenient, since we are not all in the house at the same time during the evening. And Wednesdays are gym night, when I usually eat early if I am going to work out with my honey. He eats when we get home, but I skip it, and the girls make their own meals. Logistically, I could fast Tuesday, Wednesday, and up to dinner on Thursday without making a deal of my plans.

Disadvantages: if you have to sneak something, you need to think twice about it. Doing a stealth fast seems wrong. I wouldn't be able to talk about it while I was doing it. Aauughhh! Is that even possible? No sympathy or help would be available to me.

Just writing all this down is clarifying my thinking. Guess I have to pony up and talk about fear of cancer with my children. I'm sure they'll be thrilled. There she goes again, with another one of her 'life lessons'.

In any case, no rush. The things in life that I have planned for, always go well. When I am impulsive and dive in, I usually don't get good results. So I'll keep thinking and planning.

Yesterday:

Up at 7:15
                              Vitamins

1:00 1 slice roast pork
                              1T stewed fruit and pork juices
                              1/4C cauli-cheese
                              1/2C grilled onions and red bell peppers
                              1/2C carne asada
                              2 BBBB
                              2 squares dark chocolate (5gC)

3:30 3 slices lox with
                              honey mustard

6:30 2/3C barbeque pork shreds
                              1C whipped cream with
                              sugar free chocolate pudding mix

15 minutes of sun

Bed at 10:00(reading a good book, couldn't put it down!)
                              Last edited by Sabine; 03-26-2012, 04:09 AM. Reason: Capitalization

Comment

• Eh, sneaking isn't good. There's plenty of evidence out there that a weekly or monthly fast is good for your digestive system because it gives it a rest and several cultures improve their health with it. The alternate day fasting thing might freak your family out though. I'd say a weekly or monthly fast could be seen as fine. Some people find skipping lunch just as effective for reducing calories and improving insulin sensitivity and I'll bet your family wouldn't notice that while they're doing their own thing. Try the small stuff first. Alternate day fasting is a big lifestyle switch-up if you like eating meals with other people.
                                My Primal Journey

Comment

Working...
                                X