No announcement yet.

Show, then aid - Sabine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ooh, I am a 'shoulders, chest, and arms' gal. When I was taking my children for swimming lessons I had a few lifeguard crushes. They were all so fit with that great swimmer's build. And my favorite photo of my honey is from when he was just out of the Marine Corp: skin-tight sleeveless T, flexing, with every muscle outlined. Love those body parts!

Oh, mercy. My honey came through the room as I was typing this, and I got him to flex for me. He's still got it!

Comment

• Oh man, the guy who taught my kids to swim was an Olympic swimmer. He lived next door to us and was in training so to raise enough money to live on he taught kids swim lessons between his training swims. Even my daughter at 6 years old had a crush on him. Just all around beautiful specimen and the nicest kid you ever want to meet. Unfortunately he got a stomach virus at the trials and did not qualify.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by ecks View Post
        I can! ... but I think we're talking about the same thing in different ways. Had to have my guy moment I'm surrounded by women on these boards!
        hahahaha
        Primal since March 5, 2012
        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• @ecks - Seriously! How could you resist?

Glad you've gotten to this point, Sabine! I was easily at this point in January/most of February. Then I started sampling with a couple cheats. If I really do go most weeks eating properly, one cheat really doesn't do much. But in March I think I got too curious in experimenting on my carb limits. I'm definitely better off, as of now, not regularly eating a lot of sugar or starch. I'm saying I'm better off that way now not for weight loss reasons, but for blood sugar stability reasons. It's a fact that fat doesn't produce insulin response and the other macronutrients do. So the more you use fat to fill yourself up, the less insulin your body will use on average. I was hitting a bit of a plateau between 190 and 195 and just felt like, hey this super low-carb stuff is bull! But now that I've returned to the energy roller coaster I was used to before eating sugar-free paleo, I want to be careful just to maintain my energy. If I don't have that steady energy as a baseline, I know it'll be hard to make progress on other things like exercise, not overeating and not over-stressing.
          Starting weight: 225
          Current weight: 195
          Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
          Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
          My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
            Boredom, anxiety, anger, joy, fear. Those reasons are still around, and habit can make you reach for the food even when you are not hungry if you aren't paying attention.

And then there's the loveliness of food. I eat my protein, fat, and veggies, and I'm full. I have no desire for 'a little something before my next meal'. When I get hungry, I want a MEAL.
            This is the way I was...I generally ate (snacked) cause I was bored or not paying attention...it is so easy to just sit & eat while involved on the computer or reading a good book or watching a good movie, without even realizing that you've just finished off that half bag of cheeto's!! And I just flat out love food!!! that "loveliness" The taste...the feel...the smell! I love to cook...& bake!! Oh I love to bake. Bread...cake...cookies...rolls...cinnamon rolls & on & on! The house always smells so wonderful! And of course who can resist a couple of slices of warm sliced fresh bread, slathered with butter!!! And its that love of food that is the reason I'm obese!! Its hard to readjust that way of thinking. And yes I do think you can be homesick for food!! I sure am!!

have a great evening!!!
            Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• ^OMG primalcajun, you are killing me.lol
              Primal since 9/24/2010
              "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
              MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by theprimalcajun View Post
                Oh I love to bake. Bread...cake...cookies...rolls...cinnamon rolls & on & on! The house always smells so wonderful! And of course who can resist a couple of slices of warm sliced fresh bread, slathered with butter!!!
                Me too...I'm having a "baking-break" now, but I intend to go back to baking bread (with my own sourdough instead of yeast), so that my non-primal kids will at least get the best possible bread (with spelt instead of wheat).
                My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
                My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
                Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
                Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

• Aaughhh! Baking talk!

PrimalCajun, you are NAUGHTY! I haven't had or thought about cinnamon rolls in forever, but now they are scampering through my imagination.

And though I like those almond meal/banana nut 'muffins' they are not the same.

This was yesterday:

Up at 5:30
                  Vitamins- I upped my D3 from 1000mg to 2000mg

8:00 4 eggs scrambled in
                  butter
                  2T cheese
                  1T salsa

1:30 2 bratwurst with
                  mustard
                  2 BBBB

6:45 2 rotisserie chicken legs
                  5 slices sweet potato (baked in oven with olive oil and salt)
                  1/2t ketchup
                  1C creamed spinach(spinach, cream cheese, cream, spices)
                  2 sqs. dark chocolate(85%- 5gC)

Bed at 8:45

I fell asleep on the couch, watching a movie with my honey. Either catch up from staying up late the night before, or the unexpected carb count at dinner, or both.

Oh, the chocolate was delicious. Glad I ate it, even though the meal had filled me up. And the two squares was enough. I had no desire to get up for more. (Or maybe no inclination. It is nice to be cuddled up with your honey, watching a movie, knitting in hand, and dachshund on your lap.)

Had a busy day yesterday, called in for a relief job, then zipping off to spend time with a friend, then zipping to store and home to assemble dinner. So the atmosphere was not as relaxed as it has been the last two months. And I'll probably be working three days a week for a few weeks. So, I need to take this into account, and make sure that any compensations are NOT food related. In other words, bye-bye housework! (See, there's always a silver lining!)

No, I already did the compensation, by telling them I could only do three days instead of five. I've discovered that I need a slower-paced life to keep on top of things. I have no intention of making myself crazy for the sake of a few extra dollars. And having no time to do my housework and errands at the pace I enjoy is a definite stress in my life. A serene and (relatively) tidy environment is important to me, and like accepting that sleep is necessary, I've come to accept that I am not a type A who can do it all and flourish.

I did miss not checking the journals throughout the day, but that's probably good for me.
                  Last edited by Sabine; 03-24-2012, 06:27 AM. Reason: case agreement

Comment

• Emotions

The posts from PrimalCajun and Lopisheep about their mother-in-law and mother situations got me thinking.

I have a disappointing relationship with my mother. Here's the condensed version. She and my father divorced when I was 7 and my sister 5. We lived with our father, and saw her for weekly two-hour visits. I vaguely remember in-between phone calls, but they were nothing that stuck in my memory. She was a very absent mother. I do not remember our weekly visits much, just that we had them. Certainly there were few good times or special learning moments.

As an adult, I have always been the initiator of any contact. I email regularly (3-4 times per week) to keep in touch. I no longer call except at Thanksgiving and Christmas, because it is too painful to hear how quickly she wants to get off the phone.

About 2 years ago I finally 'broke down', revealed all my feelings about our relationship (well, not all- did not reveal how I blamed her for abandoning us- that just seems to hurtful to me: she can't change the past, mostly focused on the present situation) felt she didn't love me, or care about being part of my life, asked for 'what I needed' the way all the relationship books say to. She said she was sorry, would change, etc.

It lasted about 2 months.

It is just not in her to be a motherly or connected person, I suppose.

So...an unsatisfying relationship, maybe even a non-relationship.

It has been two months now, since the last time SHE contacted ME. Since it was a businessy type of discussion, really 3 months since Christmas. Although, I think I was the one calling. Anyways, it has been a while, and I am really NOT stressing.

My honey always says, 'don't let it bother you' as if emotions can be turned off.

And I like to think that I am working through my 'issues' and might be learning how to deal with it all better.

But I am really wondering if proper diet and sleep (you know how I rave about sleep), sunlight and exercise, might be the key to making my feelings work. Three weeks of no contact was my previous record before I started 'bubbling up' with emotion: resentment, anger, self-loathing, sadness.

And now, months!

Peggy of PrimalParent (I think that's her name and blog, at least. I'm so bad at remembering these things!) talks about how less emotional she is since she changed her diet, and how she thinks (paraphrasing) emotion gets tied up into all kinds of things that maybe it should. Perhaps because we just have an excess of it with SAD eating.

Is there an emotional balance to our bodies, the way there is a fat and muscle one? When my mother is making me down, should I check first to see if I am eating right?
                    Last edited by Sabine; 03-24-2012, 04:25 PM. Reason: More grammar- am I blind?

Comment

• I think erratic blood sugar levels make us wayyy more anxious and emotional. One of my brothers tried not eating as much sugar for a little while, I guess because he was curious about what I was doing, and he admitted he felt a lot less emotional. We can't keep crap from dropping on us sometimes, but enough sleep, nutrition and exercise makes it a lot easier to deal with at least. The next step, and it's so hard for me to get into this, is meditation. Everybody swears by it because it helps you divide yourself from negative situations and thoughts so you can think about them more objectively. I notice it's easier for me to do after exercise because my personal thoughts have already been diverted while I've been focusing on my body. I also do it while laying down now because there are just too many excuses to fidget and feel uncomfortable when sitting Indian style.
                      Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
                      My Primal Journey

Comment

• OH CRAP!! I'm so sorry my baking post freaked ya'll out!!! I didn't mean to make everyone crave baked stuffed!

Baked stuff is bad...soooo bad for you....you don't want it now...you don't need it now...it tastes horrible...(using my best jedi voice here!!)

Lex...I can't even get down on the floor much less sit cross legged!! lol My favorite thing to do is listen to some beautiful music. I have some wonderful suggestions if you'd like them. I listen to them almost daily & absolutely love them.

gotta go start supper & then I will be back to read & catch up with everyone.
                        toodles!! (LOL that was for gay panda's benefit if he's reading!! )
                        Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• Lex- Every time I have tried to meditate, I end up falling asleep. I tell myself, 'at least I am relaxed!'
                          PrimalCajun- You are going to freak GayPanda out! (If I have Panda readers. I don't know.) You're certainly in a frisky mood today. But don't worry about the bread. I used my super-iodine-mental powers and banished those visions!

Comment

• I love sleeping in on the weekends!

10 1/2 hours Friday night, 10 hours last night. This is heaven.

Yesterday:

Up at 7:15
                            Vitamins

12:15 greek saald at Panera bread Restaurant
                            romaine lettuce
                            feta cheese
                            black olives
                            tomato
                            unknown dressing, probably oil and vinegar
                            grilled salmon on top- delicious!
                            1C onion soup (no bread, no cheese)

6:00 1 1/2C mixed veges sauteed in
                            lard
                            asparagus
                            green beans
                            carrot
                            mushrooms
                            red bell peppers
                            1C cauli-cheese
                            1-1 1/2C pork rib meat
                            small amount of low-carb barbeque sauce
                            2 squares dark chocolate (5gC)

30 minutes of walking at dog pace

Bed at 9:15

My stomach started gurgling and feeling gassy at about 1:30, for a couple of hours. Don't know if it was the mystery dressing, something in the soup, or just the rather large amount of raw veges hitting me. But, no feeling of a sugar spike, or poo difficulties.

That is all.

Comment

• Dairy can make me gassy, but I've also learned while studying my journal in the last three months that onions make me ULTRA gassy. Love em, but there's no mistaking it: They're probably my worst gas offender. Track how you feel the next time you eat dairy or a lot of onions.
                              My Primal Journey

Comment

• I'd say the onion soup too...
                                My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
                                My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
                                Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
                                Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

Working...
                                X