No announcement yet.

Show, then aid - Sabine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am so envious of you getting a full day of sewing. I have always wanted to be able to do that but my life just isn't allowing it. Time for me to go on a retreat with my sewing machine!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Yesterday a friend and I were working on a group quilt for another friend who is moving away. Everyone in the group made blocks and signed them. We had our kids sign blocks, too, since it was a moms and tots group. Then the signatures were embroidered(I did lots of them, made me want to do embroidery again) and yesterday we starting setting the blocks with sashing. Got almost done before we gave out. We'll finish on Saturday.

Comment

• Love it! What a terrific memory quilt. I love embroidery and haven't done it in far too long.
        Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• I am also envious of a whole day working on a project!

I was going to suggest you tell your friend you just aren't hungry when the lunch is served, but I see I'm too late. Looks like you didn't eat. What did you tell her?
          Primal since March 5, 2012
          SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• I said I had been having digestive issues, and was fasting to give my system a rest. Also, that I had a doctor's appointment the next day. I guess the truth is always a good way to go. She was just sympathetic. No flack about how not eating is not good for you.

Comment

• The doctor says...

The doctor(who is a doctor of osteopathy, not a naturopath- oops) says it is likely Irritable Bowel Syndrome. She thinks my theory of those three days of stressed, bad eating setting something off may be correct.

Blood and urine was taken to be tested, but for now she started me on a series of probiotics and directions to eat yogurt with live, active cultures once or twice a day. Also, no more fasting, as she wants my bowels to get something every day, not regular, then nothing. I feel alternate day fasting is likely good for me, but I am considering myself under orders right now. After all, why go to the doctor if you are not going to try what they say?

She did allay my fears, by telling me (at my request) the minor things it could be, so I could focus on the likelihood of it being one of those and not one of the big ones(cancer, exploding bowels, I don't know what all). And then, there's the tests, for infection, liver stuff, etc. But that can wait for results. Now that the blood is taken, I've DONE something.

Which means back to normal, or try the JUDDD in its presented form, 20% of calories on the down days. I thought maybe if I viewed the yogurt as medicinal, and had two half servings, that would give me food, but not make me feel like I am having 'restricted food'.

Or maybe I'll just eat every day. After all, I only investigated JUDDD because I was fasting alternate days to 'rest' my system.

But I am intrigued by the SIRT1 stuff. You know what a sucker I am for any kind of cell repair.

We'll see.
              Last edited by Sabine; 03-16-2013, 05:21 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

• My doctor is an osteopath too and she's awesome. Very into paleo and self-experimentation. I think you should try her suggestions and see if they work. If they do, then great. You can always go back to JUDDD once your gut is happy again. Good luck!
                Primal since March 5, 2012
                SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Jenn, what are you doing on the forum on a Saturday?!

Comment

• Hi Sabine
                    Just got caught up
                    How are your pains today??
                    Who's advice did you decide to follow?
                    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                    "Moderation sucks." Suse
                    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Hi, Winencandy. Still having the pains. I'm taking the yogurt and probiotics as prescribed by my doctor. Yesterday should have been a fasting day, but I ate yogurt twice, and a cheese snack in the middle, to get the 20% of calories as suggested by JUDDD. It was HARD, much harder than fasting altogether. I will try it for another couple of times, at least. The pains seem SLIGHTLY less than before the probiotics/yogurt began, but not enough to say anything is happening. It might be my imagination/placebo/PMA. Trying to be patient.

Good to see you back and around on the forum.

Comment

• Double post

Yesterday was too busy of a day to do my regular post, so here is the information from my last two days:

Friday
                        Up at 6:30

12:45 1 chicken sausage(yeah, that no-chicken-thing only lasted until there was nothing else in the house )
                        1C nomac cauliflower

4:30 1/2C yogurt + 2T cream + stevia, hereafter to be referred to as yogurt mix

7:00 cilantro-lime shrimp
                        seaweed salad
                        herring
                        2 coconut macaroons

Water: 9 glasses
                        Walking: 80"
                        Pains: yes

Bed at 9:30

Saturday

8:00 1/2C yogurt mix

10:30 bite of lobster with ghee

1:00 1 oz cheese

7:00 1/2C yogurt mix

Water: 8 glasses
                        Walk: 25"
                        Pains: yes

Bed at 8:30

I did another round of group sewing yesterday, and again, it knocked me out. I was falling asleep on the couch at 8:15, so I dragged myself off to bed. Eating just a little was harder than fasting. I think because I knew I could eat a little, so when I felt hunger pangs, I didn't just banish them, but considered them. I am looking at the JUDDD section of the lowcarbfriends forum, in hopes of picking up some strategies. Looks like a lot of them use pre-planned meals on their Down Days.

We are having corned beef and cabbage for dinner tonight, so there will be cabbage galore in the house. I think I might make a slaw around that for tomorrow. But since I am having yogurt twice a day, it drastically reduces my options for the rest of the day. JUDDD might have to go by the wayside for a while. Rats. I really like the idea of SIRT1 building up in my body and taking care of business. Well, I will try this limiting for a couple more days before I decide.

Oh, for those who are interested, we finished the quilt top yesterday, and it looked amazing! It took 34 woman hours to put together. Plus all the time everyone spent making their blocks. Estimate 1 1/2 - 2 hours per block, 32 blocks, equals 48-64 hours. Now one of our members is going to machine quilt it, another 12 hours, and then we'll add the label and do the binding, 6 hours. So, 100-116 hours for a generous queen-size quilt.

Felt very thirsty toward the end of yesterday. I need to drink more water today.
                        Last edited by Sabine; 03-17-2013, 06:26 AM.

Comment

• I wonder if things like kimchi, or sauerkraut, or kombucha might do the same thing as the yogurt's active cultures and give you more of a mix of that kind of help. Also, kombucha might be the answer for your down days. Obviously you would have to ask your doc about it.

I actually pre-track my meals and that way I know what to expect. I alter if necessary, but it went pretty well for my first round.

Congrats on your quilt. I do not love sewing (I am more a knitter/painter type) but for some reason I promised my kids quilts made from their old t-shirts when they went off to college. I am only 2 years behind for my DD's, hopefully will finish before she goes back for her junior year, then I can start on DS's.
                          Chris
                          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                          Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I have a stack of t-shirts being saved for the same purpose.

Comment

• I'm going to have some of my homemade sauerkraut today (in addition to the yogurt and probiotics) for that purpose. Thanks for reminding me about it. Sometimes things get lost on that top shelf of the fridge.

Enjoyed myself yesterday with our traditional St. Patrick's Day dinner. It is hard for me to believe that I never even had corned beef until I was a grown up, it is such a favorite now. Goal for next year: corning my own beef.

Here's what went down, yesterday:

7:45 2 eggs + 2 yolks
                              1T butter
                              red peppers and onions
                              1/2C yogurt mix

2:00 salmon patty
                              2T homemade mayo with capers
                              1C creamed spinach
                              2 squares dark chocolate

6:15 plenty of corned beef
                              1C cabbage
                              1C sweet potato
                              2T butter
                              2 coconut macaroons, dark chocolate ganache, 6 raspberries

Water: 11 glasses
                              Walking: 85"
                              Pains: less and fewer, I think

Bed at 9:00

The dessert was really neat. Littlest saw it in a magazine, and we made our own mini version. Two coconut macaroons pressed into a crust in a muffin cup, filled with chocolate ganache, and topped with raspberries. So cute, and very delicious!

Not a very good night's sleep last night, for some reason. Maybe my brain was mourning the end of spring break. In any case, I feel a little groggy this morning, and stuffy(nose and ears). Time for some Kill Everything Tea, to loosen things up.

I didn't mean to eat lunch so late yesterday, it just sort of happened. Reminded me of Atkin's 'warning' not to forget meals, and to eat at least every 6 hours, which I thought was such a joke when I first read it. I'm still laughing, but for a different reason, now.

Comment

• Hey, wow

Honey has always been supportive of my fasting, and when I started this alternate day thing he was interested in the stuff I told him about SIRT1, inflammation, and life extension.

Last night he said he was thinking about trying it, and this morning he said he was going to fast today. I think it is pretty cool. I hope it goes well for him. If he can get past the first four harder days, I can see him making this his new routine. He is very much a creature of habit.

The only difficulty I see is that he is a carb-hound, so a day of fasting may be uncomfortable for him as the sugar cravings hit. He already told me he might just go to bed as soon as he gets home from work to get over it. I made him drink some elctrolyte water before he left this morning, and I'm going to give him another glass when he gets home. I told him to drink, drink, drink!

Comment

Working...
                                X