Show, then aid - Sabine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
    Journal readers, two points if you spot the dietary influences of Winencandy and PrimalCajun.
    and I see one too!!! lol
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• And that's not all...

...dark chocolate macadamia nuts!!! Aaauughhhh!

I'll have to be confessing the details tomorrow. All I'll say now is I went a little wild. However, I did feel the urge to get out and walk the dogs today. It feels good when you WANT to be up and doing.

Maybe that's where I'll be in a year. Not caring about my weight because I look and feel so good, bounding out of my chair to walk the dogs, riding bikes with my honey. Okay, maybe not the last one. He does mountain biking, and I am just not into hurtling down slopes at speed. One of our 'together' activities is to do a trail together. He rides his bike, I walk, and we pass each other every fifteen minutes.

Okay, off to bed before I eat more d.c.m.n.s!

Comment

• LOL Sabine! Thank goodness I finished off my bag today!!! I am NOT buying anymore of them either! They are just tooooo darn good!!!!!

I hope to be healthier & slimmer in a year. I know how I want to look...I have pictures of the way I used to look cause I was skinny once! A long time ago...in a galaxy far far away...

Comment

• OK, I'll have to read wineandcandy's journal now (wanted to already but it's a lot to read), and primalcajun's too . My DH is abroad for the next 2 days, so I have time in the evening after dinner .
          My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
          My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
          Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
          Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

• oops

Yesterday:
            Up at 7:15
            Vitamins

10:30 2 thick slices roast pork
            1C zuccini
            1T stewed fruit-prunes, cranberry, cherry
            1T coconut oil

2:007 rice crackers
            guacamole 1/2 avocado, 1T salsa)
            2 coconut oil/chocolate cups

5:45 corned beef hash made with
            corned beef
            lard
            onion
            cabbage
            sweet potato
            7 raspberries

8:00-10:00 9 chocolate macadamias (6 at the movie, 3 at home)

A short walk, with the dogs, but at human pace, did happen in the afternoon. Just felt like it.

Bed at 10:45

This was not ideal. What I would like to go back and change: No coconut oil/chocolate cups. Should have saved trying a new recipe for a day when d.c.m.n.s were not in the house. The 7 raspberries. So innocent looking, but I think the sugar at the end of the meal made what happened next inevitable. The d.c.m.n.s at the movies and the follow-up at home. I wasn't hungry, I just wanted to eat something at the movies and share with my littlest.

So today I will: avoid new recipes, sticking with what I know is easy for me; avoid fruit, even berries at the end of the meal; avoid Tom Cruise (we saw Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. How could I not love it? There's a colon in the title! And though I have found some of his personal behavior confounding, Tom Cruise just gets better looking every year. Fun movie- good plot, action, and humor.)

Primal Blueprint is not about perfection, just moving forward, counting your 20%, but focusing on the 80%.

Speaking of which.

Last night, as I was lying in bed, waiting to drift off, I thought about the difference in 20% eating, and 20% sleeping.
            If you eat 20 meals in a week, you have 4 meals per week to have a non-Primal experience. That's quite a bit. More than I can do, to keep myself on track. I think for beginners, and those trying to lose weight, a 5% plan is more the ticket.

You need 20 days/nights to get 20 sleep experiences, so in just under 3 weeks, you can have 4 late/short nights. Say every Saturday, plus one other. And if the same guidance holds true for beginners/people trying to change a condition, maybe that should be one late night.

Not that I am a reveler. Since I discovered the joys of a regular, generous sleep schedule, it has been pretty easy to get to bed on time. But I do have my one night out each months with my pals. And the movie last night was only showing at 7:00 (end of the run at the dollar theater, so times were scarce). And this week we might be skyping with our eldest at my bedtime. Worth staying up for.

Things happen. I just need to make sure they only happen once every three weeks.

Comment

• True thing, about sleep. We (DH and me) tend to go to bed by 10pm on weekdays. I go to bed later on Wednesday (I go to evening school and mostly I don't get home before 11h30 pm) and Saturday we watch Sherlock Holmes (or other detective series) on TV and stay up a little later. I feel my body reacts immediately if - like this weekend - I don't get enough sleep. I feel more pain and I'm having a hard time concentrating.
              My husband is abroad until Wednesday and I always have a hard time getting to bed in time when he's not around .
              My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
              My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
              Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
              Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

• Getting to bed at a decent time is tough for me. Especially if the day has been a rough one. If my kids are driving me nuts, I'll tend to stay up later for some quiet time rather than go to sleep.

I like how you broke down the 20%. 4 meals a week that can be non-primal is a lot, but 4 nights of staying up later is not... I really need to work on that b/c like Candy, I take night classes. I don't get out of class (typically) until 10 pm and then still have a half hour drive to get home, then need time to unwind before hitting the pillow. 4 nights... definitely not enough. lol
                Primal since March 5, 2012
                SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Just took a page out of my own book (ecks!) and bought myself smaller clothes. A pair of pants and a skirt for summer from the thrift store. Yay, thrift stores! $6, and I won't need to feel wasteful when I shrink out of them.

What brought this on? I was taking down my pants- fitted, not elastic waist- and realized when I went to pull them up, that I had done it without unzipping them. Thought they felt a little roomy.

Comment

• haha, congrats, I actually just did that on Saturday with the shorts I had on.
                    Chris
                    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Woo!! The fun part is when you have to give those cloths back in a few months and buy smaller cloths!
                      SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333
                      Current Weight as of Nov 25 2015: 248
                      Short Term Goal: Fit into the shirts I got on my honeymoon at disney and universal in august next year when I go back to for my 1 year anniversary
                      Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension
                      Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
                      Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Comment

• Meat!

This afternoon I ordered 65 pounds of grass-fed beef and bones!

I have wanted to go grass-fed for a while, but the cost at my local grocery is extreme, and driving to the market where it is (a little more) reasonable, just eats up the gasoline. I'd been eyeing a mail-order provider for a while, but the only way to make it worthwhile was as a bulk purchase, and we live fairly close to the bone.

But we got our tax refund (yay!) so I placed my order. If I 'pay myself' each time I take a piece out of the freezer, I should have money to make the next order in two months.

The recent 'pink slime' news has made my honey more enthusiastic about trying grass-fed. He is flipped out about getting ANY supermarket meat now, and 'industry' assurances aside (like I believe them!) who can blame hi?. It might be technically meat (dipped in chemicals, but it came from the cow, what you worried about?) but if I couldn't/wouldn't do it at home in my kitchen, I don't want to be eating it.

I'm getting a selection of ground beef, steaks, and roasts, plus some bones and pet food.

I have always been willing to spend money on food. My father grew up during and just after World War II in Germany, and his childhood was marked by hunger. There was always a sense in our home that part of the good life was food you wanted and plenty of it. A new friend was boggled last year when she saw the snack I brought along to share at our retreat. Six kinds of cheese(I went to Central Market and got a little crazy. Amazing, really, that it was only six. I love their cheese department.) with crackers and grapes. I thought it was moderate- a little special in terms of quantity and variety, but hey, it was a special event. Apparently, not everyone indulges their food desires as much as I do.

My definition of 'desire' has just changed from pastry to beef.

Comment

• awww Sabine!! I'm so jealous!! I've been researching places a little closer to me so that I can order some grass fed meat too! I soooo don't want to eat that crap at the grocery store!!! There are quite a number of places in your area that you can get grass fed from...some will even deliver...did you check out Eat Wild for a ranch close to you? Just click on Texas & it gives us all the ranches here that have meats. And other yummy things too!!!! I would like to make an order next payday...(the 1st) & see how it is.

We don't have a Central Market...or a whole foods here...but we do have HEB Plus. Its pretty good...but their grass fed ground meat is something like $6.50 a pound. I know I can get it cheaper by going to the ranch. Let us know when you get your meat in & how it tastes!!

Comment

• Showing a little skin

It is storming here, which means the dogs can't sleep, which means I'm up. I am NOT taking my vitamin D, as I usually do on rising. It would probably scare my system half to death. What reasonable sun would be out so early? And besides...raining...clouds. Think I'll just be groggy for a while.

Interesting post on loose skin yesterday from Mark.

The first thing it made me think of was a lady I saw when I was at college. It was at the central bus stop on campus, the one to go into town, so there were lots of people there. I was probably doing my usual nose-in-a-book routine. When this lady arrived, though, there was no looking away.

She was still overweight for her size, past plump, and chubby, and into fat but nothing that would make you gape from size alone. What was gape-worthy, were the tremendous rolls of skin (and after reading the article, I am assuming, pockets of stubborn fat) hanging from her. All over.

I went to college in Santa Barbara, CA, where the weather is generally beautiful. It must have been so this day, for this lady was dressed as the rest of us, in a tank and shorts. With swags of drapey skin/fat hanging from her. Her arms, her legs, her chin, the back of her neck. Bulging beneath her shirt. No one thought she was smooth under there, not from what we could see outside her clothes.

Body confidence? Comfort? Laundry day? I don't know, but I do remember, even after 25 years, being stunned. And appalled at how I could not look away. I felt like a voyeur, but the strangeness of it was fascinating.

I WAS thinking, 'wow, she's lost a lot of weight.' I thought it was mostly extra skin. But I was also thinking, 'ugh, how can she SHOW that?' (No discussion now of individual rights/personal worth separated from physical appearance. All that is lurking beneath the surface, but come on, it is too early in the morning!)

At the time, I was probably 20-30 pounds overweight. I don't remember relating myself to her. She was an exotic oddity, something so removed from the norm.

I do remember that there were no comments from the crowd. I know people can be cruel. Maybe there were just enough of us there, that any potential mockers had too large of an audience. Maybe, we were all too shocked. Maybe, we were all polite (enough to keep our mouths shut, if not our gaze averted. Because we didn't. EVERYONE looked. But we didn't look at each other. No raised eyebrows, or gestures behind her back. It was like we were afraid to.) Maybe, even, we were compassionate.

Because after my first thoughts, I wanted to talk to her. Ask her how she lost the weight, tell her good job. But that would mean acknowledging she had lost weight because we could see the evidence of past glories right there. And, I was just too darned shy. I didn't speak to anyone if I could help it. Certainly not a challenging anyone.

I have never forgotten her.

So when people talk about loose skin, I am not too worried. It's like being told you have to climb the Catskills, when you've seen Everest. I have months to climb my Catskills. Even though I am fair-skinned (supposedly prone to less bouncing back and more wrinkliness), my body will have time to shrink as much as it can. And if I'm a little jiggly, if my tummy drapes a couple of inches, or I have bat-wings, I can live with that.

I'll even wear my tank and shorts.

Comment

• Another short day

Got on a Winencandy journal binge and couldn't post about yesterday until I finished. Now I am inspired to think about my own squat challenge. Notice, I am inspired to think about it, not to do it. Such are the sloth's ways.

Yesterday:

Up at 5:30
                              Vitamins

1:00 2 plates sashimi
                              1/4C rice
                              1C creme brulee

6:30 3 tequila lime chicken wings
                              2/3C thai cucumber salad

Bed at 8:45

I wasn't really hungry for dinner, but wanted to eat with the family, so I took a bare minimum. The rule as our children were growing up was that you could eat whatever you wanted-variety, quantity- throughout the day, but at dinner you had to eat at least the bare minimum (what Mom stuck on your plate) of the nutritious stuff. That way I was certain of some nutrients. So that's what I did last night.

Also, for some strange reason, I didn't want to admit to still being full from lunch. What's up with that? And I don't even felt that I 'stuffed' myself. I felt full afterwards, but not 'tight stomach' full. A mystery.

Comment

• All the fat in the creme brulee? High fat tends to stay with me longer than any other nutrient.
                                Chris
                                "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                                Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

Working...
                                X