No announcement yet.

Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow you are brave! I like liver, but only cooked and in stuff! I know a lot of people hate overcooked liver, but for me the worst thing is liver that is too lightly cooked and still bloody. Of course I don't cook mine until it's tough but I can't eat it pink! You are probably getting more nutrients out of it when it's raw like that.

Comment

• Desperation causes one to do a lot of crazy things!
      5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
      Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
      Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
      Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
      ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• When I was 20, I used to do 3 sets of 20 "real" push-ups every day.

I even did them the day before I went into labor with my 2nd child, at 25.

Since the fatigue hit at 31, I haven't been able to exercise at all. I tried to do push-ups last summer when I started Cross-fit, but of course it was nigh unto impossible, what with 50 fraking pounds of fat on my rear & thighs. But I was determined. This spring, I started with one. Just 1. Every day. In a few days, I could do 2. Then 3. Then 4. I was stuck on 4 for a while, then 5. Now I can do 6 straight, but better than that, if I break them into sets, I can keep going. A few weeks ago I did 48, broken up into several rounds with other exercises, and breaking them into groups of 2 & 3, and even 1 at the very end, all in less than 20 minutes.

TODAY I DID 56 PUSH-UPS IN 20 MINUTES.

All together with 56 modified pull-ups (inverted rows hanging from the pool table!) and 70 squats. I am amazed at this body. Simply amazed. This means I am much, much stronger than when I was 20 and doing 3 sets of 20, because I was pushing 130lb then, not 175!!!

No wonder my bench press is so amazing!

Go body. You just do your thang. I'll be here cheering you on.

Comment

• You are a beast, woman .

My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Breakfast: forgot
            Lunch: veg soup with sausage, candies, stupid TJ's "Doritos"
            Dinner: rice/sausage/carrots, salad

The good news is that the corn chips didn't cause any leg swelling; the bad news is it gave me gas, which is an odd symptom of corn for me. It usually makes me very bloated and grumpy.

Was down 2.5 lb yesterday, back to 175 today.Haven't been over in a while, and feeling less bloated most days lately, yay for that.

SimpleFit because my car is still in the shop for its transmission.

Level 1, Day 1, 28 rounds = 56 table-pull-ups, 56 real push-ups, 69 squats. Very little fatigue on the squats, none on the "pull-ups," much on the push-ups, but I DID THEM ALL. It was "20m AMRAP of 1/2/3," a very nice little break-down of push-ups for me. At 2-at-a-time, I can do them for a long, long time.

How many of those ripped thin women at Crossfit could do 56 push-ups with a 50lb weight on their rears? Feeling very strong.

Comment

• I'm feeling it, Greensprout!

I notice that when I walk around, I *feel* like a thin, lean, strong woman. I wouldn't notice I'm fat if I didn't see myself in a mirror (or notice my horrible huge pants legs, LOL). Part of that is not being as bloated; part of it is just feeling the strength in my arms, back, & legs. Feels amazing.

I did feel slightly lethargic today, though. Or better put, I was on the computer in a comfy chair all day and had a hard time convincing myself to get out of it. These days still come occasionally, but they're much less often than they used to be. I hate it when I feel like I have to keep reading the internet all day, like it's a compulsive need to soothe myself with information. But this, too, shall pass.

We're just about to embark on our next 3-week trip, this time flying out to Seattle and driving down to San Diego, then flying home. CAN'T WAIT. And I plan to do a family SimpleFit session each day to keep *me* from horrible DOMS on my first day back to Crossfit later!

Comment

• You inspire me in many ways! My youngest son has been wanting me to get back in the gym and lift with him again. No more excuses. I think I have a body type like yours - if I would just be consistent, I could be STRONG. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you're back

[Boy do I understand the fatigue - I haven't been able to shake it for years, regardless of what I've tried!!!]

When do you leave? Sounds like fun.
                -- Ruth

Comment

• If your body says it thinks it can do it, go for it!! My body wasn't ready for a long, long time, but when it was, it told me so. I started craving exercise, albeit slow & easy.

Grrr, just ate 1/2 a carton of ice cream. At least it's not multiple times a week anymore. Onward & upward.

The big trick about the soup is that if I have to cook it in the morning, I put it off and put it off and before you know it, it's lunchtime and I haven't eaten. Recipe for disaster. I have to make it at lunch, and have the leftovers for breakfast the next day. Good reminder. I already went through this once before, last year!

Comment

• Note to myself that the corn chips made my cheeks & nose puffy. First time I"ve seen that in a long time.

NOw I'm sweating like made, presumably from the ice cream.

Breakfast/Lunch: ridicucream, veg soup w/ sausage, raw liver

Comment

• Ugh, this one is killing me bad. Gut is so swollen that it's pressing upwards on my lungs and making breathing labored. This, too, shall pass. Glad it's been a long time.

Yes, I've been slacking on the aminos the last week and a half, trying to taper downwards.

Comment

• Not sure if this will be of help to you, but I'm finding roasted dandelion root tea very helpful for any of my digestive ailments. It even seems to prevent acne the day after I have a lot of dairy (usually ice cream). It even helps my constipation occasionally!

The other usual recommendations would be DGL, peppermint, and/or ginger.
                        Depression Lies

Comment

• Thanks, a great idea. I'm familiar with peppermint & ginger, but DGL? Oh, de-glycceriasleatweija;orijwaerliccorice?

Comment

• Hahha yeah that stuff
                            Depression Lies

Comment

• Forgot I also had a whole container (800cal worth) of bacon cheese dip from TJ's (it's a REALLY small container ... hard to believe it has that many calories ...) for lunch, too ... actually before lunch, starving while waiting for soup.

Dinner: pork chop, salad

Feeling much better. I went shopping for shorts for my trip because ALL my shorts have holes in them from my huge thighs ripping open the seams. It happens even when they're exactly the right size and a little loose. Huge thighs suck.

Comment

• Having a hard time winding down this evening. I thought I was ready for bed, but then had some conflict I was hoping to avoid, and I can feel the hackles raise when that happens. It's obviously adrenaline, NOT the best thing for insomnia! My health is too important, and too fragile, to continue to put myself into situations where there is a high chance of that happening, so I have to really keep away. Sad.

Going to go think about fluffy lambs and mountain creeks and circumhorizontal arcs other relaxing things, LOL. Sounds so cheesy, but you gotta do what ya gotta do ...

Comment

Working...
                                X