No announcement yet.

Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iodine can make Hashi's flare *IF* you don't have enough selenium. It's usually recommended to take Se for 2-4 weeks (200mg/day) before starting Iodine. I took it for 3 months first, then started at one drop per day. I haven't seen any worsening of thyroid stuff at all, even as I'm also slowly backing down my NDT dose (which got too high long before I considered iodine).

Is the pain in the very center, or slightly to the right? I developed RUQ (right upper quadrant) tenderness after starting the leptin reset. I have long thought I was lucky never to have had gall bladder problems after going fat-free for 15 years and then re-starting fat. But I think it must have just been on the border, and when I upped the morning protein & fat dramatically, that was more than my GB could take all at once after so many years of abuse with no fat.

I think my liver is making bile just fine, and they found "no stones" or sludge in it with an ultrasound, but it seems the GB is not releasing bile until long after my meals (instead of letting it slowly out) and is dumping it all in a rush a few hours later, causing bad cramps & runs.

All that has stopped since I started ox bile. If I take too little, I get it again in small amounts. If I take too much, I get runs w/o cramps. 500mg for my huge huge breakfast is abotu right, an dI take half that with my normal sized dinner.

IDK if that might be a direction for you to pursue. If your pain is dead center immediately under the breastbone, it seems more like the stomach area, and maybe HCl is a better avenue to pursue? H. pylori?
    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• 3 days skiing for me = fresh air, cold air, sunshine (sunburned nose on third day, oops!), speed rushes, low low stress. I realized I haven't had a headache in four days (since our first driving day). Probably simply b/c I haven't had any children resist what I was asking them to do (my usual trigger), since they were only being asked to do things they wanted to do! But could be something else to it.

I'm out of ribose as of tonight. I'll go without a week or so and see if this terrible bloating & water retention go away. They're persistent. I also crave the taste of the ribose, not b/c it's good (it's not, really), but b/c it's just straight up sweet. Darn.

I've been eating about one whole and small small amounts of dried fruit each day this week, with trace amounts of sugar, and that's better than any ski trip I've managed so far. Good results. I know that, too, needs to go, but just glad there was nothing worse coming out of the tim eout of town. We got a kitchen unit and cooked bkfst & dinner. Everyone (but me, IF) had carrots, homemade jerky, apples, cheese sticks, & homemade fruit leather for lunch. Cheap, and back to the slopes faster, and no need to disrobe b/c we could just eat outside!

Comment

• D-ribose report: took 5, then 10, then 15gm/day for two weeks:

1 - bloating & water retention won't go down no matter what I do
        2 - subtle but solid increase in physical energy
        3 - mood meltdowns disappeared then got worse than ever
        4 - sugar binge

In that order.

I think #1 could be from a little carb intake on a few days (berries). But the swelling is drastically out of proportion to that. Or it could be that my new ox bile sucks. I kind of suspect the latter, b/c cramps & runs are back here and there. Jarrow & Cholecol worked well; I think this one is Nutricology.

I think #2 could be the d-rib or continued increase in iodine or continued thyroid improvement or continued improvement from circadian T3. Not sure.

I think #3 could be b/c being on the slopes made all better, and within a day of being back at home, I was falling apart mid-afternoon again, in more dramatic fashion than before. I am doing things I never in my life would have imagined, like crying because I have to leave the house. I used to be one who disdained those who were affected by their emotions. Now my emotions are running amok.

I think #4 could be the d-rib, too. It may not be a sugar, but it TASTES like it, and my taste buds know, just like they know when you eat Splenda or xylitol or aspartame that things taste sweet. I had a disaster tonight after nearly a week clean. Partly b/c of an all seafood day.

I'm out of d-rib now. I was planning to go without a week or two to see if energy runs low again, but then was frightened by the thought of losing the energy, and now am even more frightened by the binge. Dunno...

It hasn't affected my sleep, unless it's to let me survive on 8 or 8.5 hrs instead of desperately needing 9+.

It does nothing good for my appetite. I absolutely find myself craving it like I crave any other sweet thing.

I will never do an all seafood day again.

I knew I shouldn't. I knew that every time I have seafood without land meat and/or land animal fat, I get crazy cravings. But I thought, it's a Friday during Lent; I should at least try.

I ate a POUND of wild salmon for breakfast, in at least 1/3C coconut oil. I was thoroughly full until 4, when I got hungry. Really hungry. True hunger, not cravings. I figured, true hunger, I can deal with that. It's part of the fasting.

Then like lightning, before I realized it, it turned into monster cravings. Before I knew it, I was at the store buying yog-raisins, dried fruit, & fudge, and eating it all in the garage.

This didn't happen last year during Lent. I think d-rib is keeping me primed for sweet tastes, even though it does not act as a sugar in the body. Just a theory.

Comment

• Ski report:

Day 1 - headache & morning meltdown when I was resisted after making a very reasonable request. Plenty of energy.
          Day 2 - no headaches, even when kids didn't do what I was asking. Forgot mid-morning thyroid, felt sleepy on lift around 1:30; that is all. Plenty of energy to ski, get ready, etc.
          Day 3 - no headaches, no meltdowns. Took thyroid doses, no sleepiness.
          Day 4 - drive home. No headaches, even when kids weren't perfect. Sleepy in car around 2, took nap and felt fine. Plenty of energy.
          Day 5 - back home. Major headaches in afternoon when kids wouldn't comply with schoolwork, major major emotional meltdown in late afternoon. Curl-up-and-hide feeling lasted from 3:30 - 6:30.

Is it something in my home? Increased EMF? (Snowshoe has only one cell provider b/c of nearby massive radio telescope requesting near radio silence. Wifi in room, though.) Simple lack of fresh air and/or grounding? What?

Comment

• Hmmm, it's been a long time since I pulled out this format.

Won't weigh till thigh swelling is down. It was up an inch (24") at last check.
            BBT - 98.2 (CD22)

Leptin Resistance goals:
            - Breakfast: 50gm protein w/i 30m: 80.100m
            - 5+ hrs between meals: .10 .
            - Done eating by 7:30, 3.5hrs b4 bed: 7:55.3
            - No snacking, <50g carb/day, 100% epi-paleo:yes.yes?.no
            - Sun in day, dark@sunset:no.@8pm
            - Minutes grounded: 0
            - Cold: house@66day56night, bkfst@37&overcast

Supps
            D12K, Bcmplx50, Se200, Curcumin. CO, ACV, Green Tea, 3Mgs, NDT: yes.y/y/n/MgThr/4gr (5:40/7:40/11/11:40)
            3HCl, OxBile, Bitters (out) per meal: bkfst.2/n dinner
            NAC(glutathione), Zn, D-Rib: y(1200).yes.out
            Other (DigEnz, Feverfew, Milk Thistle, Probx, VitC): Fvrfw, DigEnz w/ dinner
            Organs, seafood, broth, ferments: yes(Organ Delight).no.no.no

Suspect foods (FODMAPs, nightshades, coconut flesh, carb): trace sugar & pepper in ssg. Canola & sugar in dinner chips

B - huge pile of meat (ssg, pork chop, roast beef), sw tater w/ butter. craving till it was all downed
            L -
            D - pile of meat, frz-dried fruits & sweet potato chips

Results
            - Energy: 6. Mood: 6 - started a headache, but bypassed it.
            - Bloating: 5m AM. 6PM
            - Skin: soft
            - Sleep: solid all week, including falling asleep much faster each night, but lastnight, woke many times, although I fell back to sleep quickly. VERY dry overnight.

Thyroid feels less hard. Most likely was b/c dose was too high.

Notes on my supp codes:
            I'm aiming for the B complex every other day, b/c I seem to excrete so much yellow that I wonder if 50 is too much for me.
            I aim for 1T ACV, 2C green tea.
            Aiming for 144mg Mg L-Threonate in AM, 200-400mg Mg Orotate @noon, 800mg Mg Malate 2hrs before bed.
            Doing 1800mg NAC daily right now.
            Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-17-2013, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• Won't weigh till thigh swelling is down.
              BBT - 9?.? (CD2)

Leptin Resistance goals:
              - Breakfast: 50gm protein w/i 30m: 80.80m
              - 5+ hrs between meals: ..
              - Done eating by 7:30, 3.5hrs b4 bed: .
              - No snacking, <50g carb/day, 100% epi-paleo:y.y.
              - Sun in day, dark@sunset:n.@
              - Minutes grounded:
              - Cold: house@66day56night, bkfst@27/sunny for 5m before dd climbed on me. I can only handle one stressor at a time. Freezing temps in one layer of clothes, sure, but not with a toddler climbing on me so I have to dodge getting food all over me!

Supps
              D12K, Bcmplx50, Se200, Curcumin. CO, ACV, Green Tea, 3Mgs, NDT: yes.n/y/n//4gr (5:40/7:40/11/11:40)
              3HCl, OxBile, Bitters (out) per meal: bkfst.
              Other (DigEnz, Feverfew, Milk Thistle, Probx, VitC): Fvrfw,
              Organs, seafood, broth, ferments: yes.yes.no.no

Suspect foods (FODMAPs, nightshades, coconut flesh, carb): trace sugar & pepper in ssg.

B - huge pile of fish & grassfed beef sausage & cinnamon & bacon grease. Small orange. Cherry jam.
              L -
              D -BIG PILE O' CRAP. (No grains. Lots of sugar, dairy, peanuts, etc.)

Results
              - Energy: 6. Mood:
              - Bloating: 4m AM.
              - Skin: soft, esp on belly
              - Sleep: solid. took a while to get to sleep, though. Wonder why?

Thought: Could bloating be from current sausage provider? This is neither factory-farmed nor pastured pork. Somewhere in between, and they almost certainly eat corn & soy.
              Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-18-2013, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• Aaaaaaaaaand this is what I did when I got bored of cleaning the playroom yesterday and saw one too many really bad YouTube covers of favorite songs... did my own cover. LOL.

What About Me cover (Moving Pictures) - YouTube

(It's totally good for a laugh. Especially the dinosaur. Love that dinosaur.)
                Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-17-2013, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• ^ Funny
                  -- Ruth

Comment

• Hanging on by skin of teeth...? No... already fell off... clawing at cliff trying to keep from hitting bottom...

Comment

• Hi, Cierra. I obliterated my cravings for a full year by a high protein & fat breakfast. The more protein and fat, the more the cravings went away till one day they were simply gone, and gone for a year.

They're back. Not as strong as before, but enough that I'm really struggling to keep from bingeing again. I don't know what's responsible,b ut I know now that this is much more complex than I ever imagined it could be. It could be agouti, NPY, gut bacteria, Mg deficiency, 5-HTP/serotonin problems, or who knows what. I'm working and I will never give up.

Thanks for being here, and I hope you share what works and doesn't for you on your own journey!

Comment

• Hi, Mama Grok. Just a couple of quick comments and a guess as to what might be going on with your current rollercoaster ride. I think that your mentioning the adrenals may mean that you are on the right track. I had noticed a while back that your most recent labwork showed a really high T3 level. I'm really wondering if that's part of what is going on. You probably already know this, but I have read repeatedly that if there are any adrenal issues present, that treating the thyroid without treating them as well will further stress the adrenals and cause even bigger issues. I'm wondering if your body is in hyperthyroid mode with the high T3 (as well as many of your symptoms), and your adrenals are screaming "UNCLE!!" There are many ways to address the adrenal issues that could help you right away. Pantothenic acid (B5) is a big one, and there are many effective adaptogens available by which people with adrenal fatigue/exhaustion swear.

Just a thought. I'm dealing with hypothyroidism and adrenal issues, so I've read a lot on the subject - more than I ever wanted to!

I hope you're able to figure out what's going on and that maybe in the meantime you can find something that will help take the edge off. Stress management is paramount in regard to the adrenals, which both affect and are affected by thyroid function (or the lack thereof) and the treatment of such issues.

Good luck, and hang in there! You're a strong, tough chick - you'll get through this. Take a bunch of deep breaths and hop on good old Google while having a glass of wine (if you drink wine) or maybe an L-Theanine instead! <<< GREAT for relaxation, btw!
                        Last edited by GoJenGo; 02-18-2013, 10:01 AM.
                        Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

• Jen, I was horribly hypothyroid, but with a strong possibility of Hashi's (by signs & some tests, but haven't tested positive for antibodies, probably since my diet was so squeaky clean for the year prior to each test). I started the STTM protocol of increasing natural desiccated thyroid (increase half grain every two weeks till you stop seeing improvement and/or start seeing signs of hyper) and felt better with each dose, never feeling hyper.

Still, when I realized suddenly that I was on 6+ grains/day (b/c I learned that ThyroGold is a lot more potent than most people think), I decided to back down some, especially given those high T3 results you're talking about having seen. I've backed down slowly and am on 3.5 or 4 grains every day now, still feeling well as far as the specific energy & mood signs that I use to gauge my thyroid progress.

So I'm not hyper b/c of overproduction, but because of overmedicating, nonetheless, I'm working on remedying that.

The cravings were bad when I was hypo for years without knowing it, and actually for many years before the bad hypo signs came. The cravings came back before the hyper grew. I don't think they're related, but certainly I'm always working on balancing my thyroid dose. I know my adrenals are wonky (low in range in AM, med-hi in evening, but BELOW range at noon) and am using the circadian T3 protocol to work on that. I have heard good and bad about adaptogens, and even serious adverse results if you use one kind and your body wants another (b/c of TH1 or something), and have been hesitant to dive into reading up on them while focusin gon reading up on so many other things. I know I shouldn't take maca, but I can't remember why, lol.

I am seriously at a loss. Maybe I'll try 5-HTP next. What the heck?

I think I have a serious deficiency in something, but not sure what.

That reminds me; I need to call that doc I got a referral to stat, to get my Pg:E2 worked out, and I need to order a micronutrient blood test stat, too.

Comment

• Won't weigh till water swelling is down.
                            BBT - 9?.? (CD..)

Leptin Resistance goals:
                            - Breakfast: 50gm protein w/i 30m: 80.80m
                            - 5+ hrs between meals: ..
                            - Done eating by 7:30, 3.5hrs b4 bed: .
                            - No snacking, <50g carb/day, 100% epi-paleo:y.y.
                            - Sun in day, dark@sunset:n.@
                            - Minutes grounded:
                            - Cold: house@66day56night, bkfst@27/

Supps
                            D12K, Bcmplx50, Se200, Curcumin. CO, ACV, Green Tea, 3Mgs, NDT: yes.n/y/n//4gr (5:40/7:40/11/11:40)
                            3HCl, OxBile, Bitters (out) per meal: bkfst.
                            Other (DigEnz, Feverfew, Milk Thistle, Probx, VitC): Fvrfw,
                            Organs, seafood, broth, ferments: yes.yes.no.no

Suspect foods (FODMAPs, nightshades, coconut flesh, carb): trace sugar & pepper in ssg.

B - fresh & canned mussels, bunch o' meat
                            L -
                            D -meat + fairly small pile o' crap

Results
                            - Energy: 6. Needed a nap at 3pm, missed picking up my beef! Mood: 4-6
                            - Bloating: 4.5m AM.
                            - Skin: soft
                            - Sleep: solid. got to sleep quickly. Woke at dh's alarm at 5:40 & couldn't sleep again till 7. ? Slept 7-7:40, then needed a nap mid-afternoon. Bad.

Well, no "Day One" yet.

I need 7 days of pplenty of ox bile & HCl, no carbs, no violations, no CAFO meat, so I can really see if I can get rid of this water problem, and then go back to working on the strange mood upheavals of late.

MUST must must remember to call the doc I need to see. Must!

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                              Jen, I was horribly hypothyroid, but with a strong possibility of Hashi's (by signs & some tests, but haven't tested positive for antibodies, probably since my diet was so squeaky clean for the year prior to each test). I started the STTM protocol of increasing natural desiccated thyroid (increase half grain every two weeks till you stop seeing improvement and/or start seeing signs of hyper) and felt better with each dose, never feeling hyper.

Still, when I realized suddenly that I was on 6+ grains/day (b/c I learned that ThyroGold is a lot more potent than most people think), I decided to back down some, especially given those high T3 results you're talking about having seen. I've backed down slowly and am on 3.5 or 4 grains every day now, still feeling well as far as the specific energy & mood signs that I use to gauge my thyroid progress.

So I'm not hyper b/c of overproduction, but because of overmedicating, nonetheless, I'm working on remedying that.

The cravings were bad when I was hypo for years without knowing it, and actually for many years before the bad hypo signs came. The cravings came back before the hyper grew. I don't think they're related, but certainly I'm always working on balancing my thyroid dose. I know my adrenals are wonky (low in range in AM, med-hi in evening, but BELOW range at noon) and am using the circadian T3 protocol to work on that. I have heard good and bad about adaptogens, and even serious adverse results if you use one kind and your body wants another (b/c of TH1 or something), and have been hesitant to dive into reading up on them while focusin gon reading up on so many other things. I know I shouldn't take maca, but I can't remember why, lol.

I am seriously at a loss. Maybe I'll try 5-HTP next. What the heck?

I think I have a serious deficiency in something, but not sure what.

That reminds me; I need to call that doc I got a referral to stat, to get my Pg:E2 worked out, and I need to order a micronutrient blood test stat, too.
                              Yes, that was actually what I meant - not that your body itself had been thrown into it. I thought maybe your adrenals could be responding to that, but it sounds like you're addressing them with your T3 protocol. You're right about the adaptogens, though - I had no doubt that if you were to look into it, you'd research it fully and know exactly what to take and what not to take in your case.

Good luck in finding the culprit in all of this. Hope to read that you're feeling better soon.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post

Well, no "Day One" yet.

I need 7 days of pplenty of ox bile & HCl, no carbs, no violations, no CAFO meat, so I can really see if I can get rid of this water problem, and then go back to working on the strange mood upheavals of late.
                                Sorry, for yet another post - I just read this. Is there any chance the mood upheaval is related to whatever might be causing the water retention? Maybe they'll leave the building together?!

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Working...
                                X