No announcement yet.

Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been taking naturethroid for almost a month, and am up to 1 grain AM, 1/2 grain + 1 Thyrogold after lunch. It has most definitely created a slow, steady increase in energy & mood/mood stability. I need to get labs again soon to see if my T4 is converting to free T3 properly.

I started ox bile last week and have seen a definite decrease in gall bladder area pain. Could it be that I'm just not releasing bile as I'm supposed to? My stools have started sinking! No more fat malabsorption? And there may be a negligible decrease in bloating. Maybe.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 10-29-2012, 04:26 PM.
    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• I'm Mamagrok, and I have BICD (biologically inappropriate cravings disorder). (Yeah, I just made that up.) Wanna join my club?

Meetings here, once/day, for accountability. I'm in a bad, bad place right now.

Comment

• Hello, MamaGrok! I've been reading your thread ever since I stumbled across Dr. Kruse's forum last year. Thank you very much for dedicating so much time to recording your trials and tribulations, your successes and your "what-am-I-doing-wrong?"s.

I just registered today because of what you wrote on 11-12-2012. I've struggled with binge eating disorder for pretty much all of my adult life and it is heartening to see your amazing progress against the same. Despite knowing WHAT to eat and WHEN to eat (thanks to this forum and several other resources about paleo eat), I have never been able to get a handle on my bingeing for even a week. Even when losing weight, I still binge, I just compensate the following day or two by dropping really low on calories. And I'm not even in the same galaxy as you are - I still have not been able to stay away from wheat or sugar - they are my go-to foods when I binge. Add in a stressful home life, and you get one accomplished binger.

Soooo.... I can't really contribute any meaningful advice or wisdom (as I'm new and still greatly (forever?) struggling), but I'd love to join your "BICD" club for the accountability part. Real or not?

Thanks again for your courage and tenacity. It has not gone unnoticed.

Comment

• Hi! I'm really trying to get back into keeping up wiht this thing!

Don't worry; Beautymark, I binged on wheat and sugar for a decade before I could finally eliminate those. I wasn't able to eliminate wheat 100% until Jan 1, 2012.

Welcome to the club! Binge eating really is a vicious disease. With all other diseases/disorders, you just change you eating to go a long way toward fixing the problem. With bingeing, the disorder itself attacks your ability to choose the right foods.

The longer I live this, the more I know it truly is a disorder and has NOTHING to do with will power or character. When everything is right, for instance, from Jan to June of 2012 for me, there is nothing in the world that could get me to eat something I knew was a problem for me. It won't call to me. I have no interest in it whatsoever, and can't even imagine having an interest in it.

But when I'm primed, I can think of nothing else. No matter what I'm doing, I'm barraged with cravings.

And I've seen that cycle happen so many times, that I know it is not a character thing. Nothing changed my character one year ago, and nothing changed in June to suddenly make me a schlep again. Something biochemical happened, though, and it turned the switch on. Switch on, switch off, the question is, what flips the switch? I know some ofthe answers (having enough protein & fat, especially in the morning, helps so much), but not all of them, yet.

Comment

• So update:

I have to confess, I finally binged. It was horrific or tragic or anything, but certainly out of control, and certainly more than anyone should eat. The days before & just after Halloween. I blew it just under a full year, but HEY - going a year between binges is better than having them three times a day!!

Thyroid - so much awesome here. I've been increasing Naturethroid 1/2 grain each two weeks, and am up to 2 AM grains, 1 PM grain now, plus a Thyrogold each day. Remember all those days I suddenly felt cheery, had no bloating, felt like dancing & running everywhere? I do now think those were probably Hashimoto's attacks where my body attacked its own thyroid and thyroid hormone was dispersed as a result. The reason I think that is a) I heard it could happen and b) all the symptoms I'd have so much of in one day have all now occurred, but VERY SLOWLY increasing as I very slowly increase my NDT dose. I finally feel almost like I did those individual days - but it's sticking!! I am gradually de-cluttering my house again, getting the kids schooled most days again, hiking with no problems, never facing deathly exhaustion, much increased mood, socializing some again, able to take stairs without talking myself into it again, etc. Things really are improving.

It's discouraging to think of having to take medicine for the rest of my life, but ... well, if this is the worst it is, I escaped the modern health crisis pretty unscathed.

Cravings - They got worse and worse, and finally I started the cold again. Dunno if it's helped. I started eating seafood every morning, and realized that seafood protein does NOT count as part of my needed 65g of protein. I have to still eat at least 50g of land meat to get the benefit of cravings stifling. I'm able to skip lunch, but I ALWAYS have to have meat around, already cooked, ready to be scarfed down around 4 or 5 if I need it. I usually can't cook without eating first, or cravings will get me and I'll start making bad decisions. As long as I always have at least 50g land protein and a full serving of sea protein and a big tablespoon or two of CO or animal fat (depending on the season), and make sure to have plenty of cooked meat on hand if I start having cravings in the late afternoon, and offer any little cravings that come along as a sacrifice for someone important to me, I seem able to stay on top of this. But honestly, I was still making bad decisions (eating wads of candy) a week ago, after not having anything processed for almost a full year. This last week I have really tried to stay on top of the things I need to do to keep the cravings away, and it seems to be working so far.

Cold - every month I've done at least weekly cold, my cycle is exactly 28 days long. When I don't do any, it is 25-26 days long, short on the front. Bizarre. Scary. My body does need this to regulate my hormones. I bought a chest freezer for my bedroom and filled it with gallon water bottles so I can have a 52 degree bath every other evening without much effort. DH is really supporting me in this. Yay!

Cramps/Runs - YAY on this front! This started being a problem (bad IBS symptoms) when I started the leptin reset. It really got bad, but when I started taking ox bile with breakast, it all went away. Totally. When I have too much, I get the same symptoms as having none, so I really think that my body was dumping bile (too much, too late) after fatty meals. I still need to figure out why, but at least now it has stopped! My gall bladder is usually fine, although it was tender the last few days.

Bloating - this week, I hvae had *no* carbs. Solstice time. And the bloating several mornings has been almost GONE. ! I haven't seen a stomach this flat in two years. It is still up and downand I don't understand it. But I finally have hope! I just hope it doesn't come back when I start eating greens again next month, and more carbs as spring comes!

Water - Really up and down this week. Got pitting edema on my leg again for the first time in a LONG time. Thyroid increase? Who knows? Every day, it goes up or down two pounds, and I can tell what I'll weigh by whether or not I can see my ribs, pit my legs, etc.

Weight - up 5lbs. Thanks, binges. :P

Dang. I ate meatballs made by somebody else for dinner. I immediately got a spacy head. My ears started hurting. My head is still spinning an hour later. Stupid me, didn't think about the possibility they had wheat in them till after eating them. GAH!

Overall, things are going well. I have a lot of hope, and no doubt my health is far better than it was 5 years ago!

Comment

BBT - 97.0 (CD6)
              1 month binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
              - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein, w/i 30m of rising: yes.no(60m).
              - 5+ hrs between B/L & L/D: 9.5hrs between B/D
              - finished dinner by 7:30, 3.5hrs between dinner & bed: yes.no, 3
              - no snacking, <50g carb/day, 100% epi-paleo:yes.yes.yes
              - morning temp & sun; dark house @ sunset:yes.yes
              - no PUFA's other than fish:yes

Morning
              D5K, Bcmplx150: out.yes
              HCl, DigEnz, Bitters, OxBile: out.no.yes.yes
              CO, Probx: no.yes
              Feverfew, Curcumin, Thyroid: no.no.2+1grain+TG
              Organs, broth, ferments: liver.rabbit/pork.yes

Midday
              15m sun, Cold: no.30m@52F
              Se200, Seaweed: yes.no
              Green tea, VitC, ACV: 1C.no.yes
              Glutathione, Zinc: no.no
              Mg, Liver support: yes.(can't remember what the latter meant)

Suspect foods (FODMAPs, nightshades, coconut flesh): trace sugar & pepper in ssg

B - Soup of rabbit/pork broth, salmon, bacon grease, ground beef, sausage, raw liver
              L -
              D - leftover sausage/salmon/beef. pork chop.

Results
              - Energy: 6. Mood:6/5. Headache when kids got repeatedly disobedient b4 dinner
              - Bloating: 2m AM! Up post-bkfst, down to ~3m by 4pm! Feels almost great b4 dinner! 4.5m by bedtime
              - Skin: only slightly bumpy
              - Sleep: 8.5ish after spinning mind for a good long while

I am praying for help to resist even one bite of dd's gluten-free birthday cake on 12/12/12.

Thigh went up after binges (suspected water). Went down 1/4" last week, then down 1/2" this morning! Woohoo! No weight change, though. Ribs were visible a few days ago, but not yesterday or today. No gallbladder pain after dinner, but some this morning b4 bkfst.
              Last edited by MamaGrok; 12-11-2012, 08:19 AM.

Comment

BBT - 97.0 (CD7)
                1 month binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
                - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein, w/i 30m of rising: yes.no(60m)
                - 5+ hrs between B/L & L/D: 7hrs between B/L.3hrs between L/D
                - finished dinner by 7:30, 3.5hrs between dinner & bed: 7:50.no, <3
                - morning temp & sun; dark house @ sunset:yes.yes@9

Morning
                Feverfew, Curcumin, Thyroid: no.yes.2+1grain+TG
                Organs, broth, ferments: liver.yes.yes

Midday
                15m sun, Cold: overcast.no
                Green tea, VitC, ACV: 2C.no.no

Suspect foods (FODMAPs, nightshades, coconut flesh): trace sugar & pepper in ssg

B - Soup of rabbit/pork broth, fauxlobster, bacon grease, ground beef, sausage, raw liver
                L - leftover breakfast meat @4
                D - pork chop, leftover beef roast

Results
                - Energy: 5. Mood: 5
                - Bloating: 3m AM. Even better than yesterday all day! 3ish at night!
                - Skin: almost smooth. Still some pitting edema on shin. Red nose last few days. Still dark circles under eyes.
                - Sleep: solid 8.75hrs after shivering for a long time!
                Last edited by MamaGrok; 12-12-2012, 07:08 AM.

Comment

• 137 - whoa!
                  BBT - (CD8)
                  1 month binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
                  - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein, w/i 30m of rising: yes.no(90m)
                  - 5+ hrs between B/L & L/D: 9hours between B/D
                  - finished dinner by 7:30, 3.5hrs between dinner & bed: 8:30.no,2.5
                  - morning temp & sun; dark house @ sunset:yes.no

Morning
                  CO, Probx: no.no
                  Feverfew, Curcumin, Thyroid: no.no.2+1grain+TG
                  Organs, broth, ferments: no.yes.no

Midday
                  15m sun, Cold: overcast.no
                  Green tea, VitC, ACV: 2C.no.no

Suspect foods (FODMAPs, nightshades, coconut flesh): trace sugar & pepper in ssg. Rice, almonds, butter? GARLIC

B - Soup of chicken broth, squid/scallops, bacon grease, ground beef, sausage
                  L -
                  D - pernil, fried yuca. Bite each of GF biscotti & cupcake. Slice GF pumpkin pie

Results
                  - Energy: 5. Mood: 5
                  - Bloating: 2.5m AM. More at night after dinner oops
                  - Skin: almost smooth. Pitting gone? Red nose. Dark circles.
                  - Sleep: solid 9hrs, till 7:30am.

It was amazing - buying GF cake for my daughter, and the lady offered me a sample bite of biscotti. I ate it right before dinner and BAM cravings galore. Down went the sample bite of cupcake, craved all through dinner, and down went the pie. Amazing stuff. It's gone now. Just amazing to see the switch turn on like that.

Comment

• <138. Lucky it's not worse
                    BBT - (CD_)
                    1 month binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
                    - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein, w/i 30m of rising: yes.no(2hr. gotta rein this in)
                    - 5+ hrs between B/L & L/D: 7 hours between B/D
                    - finished dinner by 7:30, 3.5hrs between dinner & bed: yes.yes, 4
                    - no snacking, <50g carb/day, 100% epi-paleo:yes.yes.no
                    - morning temp & sun; dark house @ sunset:yes.mostly (at a band concert)

Morning
                    HCl, DigEnz, Bitters, OxBile: out.no.yes.not AM; see last night's episode!
                    CO, Probx: no.no
                    Organs, broth, ferments: liver.yes.no

Midday
                    15m sun, Cold: no.not really
                    Green tea, VitC, ACV: out.no.yes

Suspect foods (FODMAPs, nightshades, coconut flesh): trace sugar & pepper in ssg.

B - Soup of chicken broth, salmon, ground beef, sausage
                    L -
                    D - spaghetti (tried to avoid the brown rice pasta, but couldn't altogether). small salad. leftover salmon & sausage

Results
                    - Energy: 5/6. Mood: 6
                    - Bloating: 3.5m AM. Very lucky. 4.5m at night.
                    - Skin: almost smooth. Pitting gone? pink nose. Dark circles.
                    - Sleep: Oh my. I took ox bile last night b/c of all the grease in the pernil & yuca. OH! I woke later with hard stomach pain, followed by several bathroom trips in the middle of the night. Overall, got about 8hrs sleep, I think. Very ready for sleep by 10pm tonight
                    Last edited by MamaGrok; 12-14-2012, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• 139. sigh
                      BBT - 96.5 ZOIKS (CD10)
                      1 month binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
                      - 5+ hrs between B/L & L/D: 9 hours between B/D
                      - finished dinner by 7:30, 3.5hrs between dinner & bed: 9ish.yes
                      - no snacking, <50g carb/day, 100% epi-paleo:yes.100?.no
                      - morning temp & sun; dark house @ sunset:yes.
                      - no PUFA's other than fishrobably some in chocolate

Morning
                      HCl, DigEnz, Bitters, OxBile: out.no.no.yes

Midday
                      15m sun, Cold: no.outside in cold at night
                      Green tea, VitC, ACV: out.no.no
                      Mg, Liver support: .(can't remember what the latter meant)

Suspect foods (FODMAPs, nightshades, coconut flesh): trace sugar & pepper in ssg.

B - Soup of chicken broth, mahimahi, ground beef, sausage
                      L -
                      D - pernil, choc-covered raisins, chicken, salmon, beef, aioli sauce, veg, bleu cheese tater, pecan, cheesecake (no crust), but I'm absolutely certain I accidentally ingested some wheat in the cheesecake and couldn't remove it from my mouth in front of others.

Results
                      - Energy: .resistant this morning Mood: 6+ felt the best I've felt at this particular Xmas party in years
                      - Bloating: 3.5m AM. Feel water being held all over again
                      - Skin: almost smooth. Pitting gone. __ nose. Dark circles.
                      - Sleep: solid 10:30-7:30. still sleepy on waking

I noticed this morning that the big nose-blow on waking was required again. When it happened, I realized it hadn't happened the last three daysthat bloating had been down. Interesting!!

Also, I think the strange morning urine smell has been gone at least a week. Odd, also. It's been constant for many months now.
                      Last edited by MamaGrok; 12-15-2012, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• didn't weight
                        BBT - __ (CD11)
                        1 month binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
                        - 5+ hrs between B/L & L/D: hours between B/D
                        - finished dinner by 7:30, 3.5hrs between dinner & bed: .
                        - morning temp & sun; dark house @ sunset:no.

Morning
                        HCl, DigEnz, Bitters, OxBile: out.no.no.forgot

Midday
                        15m sun, Cold: .
                        Green tea, VitC, ACV: out.no.
                        Mg, Liver support: .(can't remember what the latter meant)

B - Soup of pork/rabbit broth, langostino, ground beef, sausage, cinnamon
                        L -
                        D -

Results
                        - Energy: . Mood:
                        - Bloating: 4.5m AM.
                        - Skin: almost smooth. Pitting a little present. __ nose. Dark circles.
                        - Sleep: solid 1-8:30. Very sleepy, but couldn't go back to sleep.

Two bites of GF sweets, two bites of rice pasta, one slice of GF cheesecake, and one bite of bleu cheese over 3 days, and all the bloating & water retention is back.

Comment

• THings learned:

A tiny amount of carbs over three days =
                          *can't stop eating. Even if it has no preservatives, fake colors or flavors, HFCS, or GMOs, it's still sugar.
                          *my thyroid got hard the second day and is still hard.
                          *weird pee smell was back the third morning and is still there.
                          *legs, arms swollen again, up to an inch on thigh
                          *bloated again, looking up to 6mo pg after meal
                          *outer lower cheeks & eyelids puffy again

Feel like death tonight.

Will be back on wagon in morning. Christmas shouldn't kill me. I don't much care for the food we have anymore.

Will this ever stop?
                          Last edited by MamaGrok; 12-19-2012, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• I'm doing fine again. God willing, I will beat this. I will.

Comment

• I was awake for two hours in the middle of the night for some reason, and as a result of the conclusions I came to, I have some good news!

- Ever since beginning ox bile, I haven't had the problem where if I don't have butter or liver, my teeth hurt. This must mean that I'm not wasting all those precious fat-soluble nutrients anymore!
                              - The last two days, I've had newfound emotion. ! Instead of acting tender or compassionate because I know it's the rightthing to do, I'm also doing it now b/c it *feels* like the right thing to do. I feel like doing it. It has been years since this has happened. ! Thank you, Naturethroid! (Now 3.5 grains/day)
                              - I haven't had an intestinal biopsy, and haven't yet had the gene test, but I have clear symptom elimination when I stop eating wheat, positive stool anti-gluten antibodies, severe at malabsorption, likely an autoimmune disease (Hashi's), and positive ANA. Duh! WHy do I continue thinking I need more testing to see if I have gluten problems? The only question is, is it genetic, and is it celiac's ... because knowing that may be the key to getting my parents & siblings to consider removing gluten. We have a LOT of autoimmune disease in our family

I just ordered enterolabs panels galore for other sensitivities & to check up on fat malabsorption. Can't wait to analyze the results in a month.

I'm doing no carbs at all until the day after Easter. With God's help, ,anyway. It is unmistakeably clear that I cannot currently tolerate any without all-ovver water retention & severe bloating, nose bleeds, etc. (see post above), so I need a lot of time on this, time to experiment with supp;lements & meds without the interference of more carb-related symptoms, and then plenty of time to introduce them very slowly and systematically to pin down the problem. Or maybe just time for my gut to rest. We'll see.

Comment

• So I'm recovering from Christmas food even faster than the two weeks before doing the same. The bloating is going away faster each time. I have to wonder why. It could be

- better thyroid meaning better digestion
                                - better food absorption (from length of tiem away from gluten) meaning better digestion
                                - ox bile meaningbetter and better digestion

I'm on Cholacol now (2tabs at breakfast for ~300mg, none with dinner). I did Jarrow before, IIRC (1 cap at breakfast for 300mg).

I had a duh moment yesterday. I have

- symptoms that obviously go away when I'm off gluten
                                - severe fat malabsorption & vegetable maldigestion
                                - positive for anti-gluten antibodies, that is, my body attacks itself when I eat gluten
                                - positive ANA, which is an autoimmune disease test

This is either Celiac's, or very close. I'm already living a gluten-free life, but I need to realize the serious implications of this for my children. I'm getting gene-tested and if I have one or two copies of the gene, I'm testing them, too. They deserve to know if they need to be mostly GF or 100% GF.

So do my parents & sisters.

It's quite a relief when I look through my health history and realize how far I've come and how much I know about how to stay healthy for life that I didn't used to know. I'd rather know that not know and keep eating crap that made me feel like crap.

Comment

Working...
                                X