No announcement yet.

Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love reading your posts MamaGrok. Think I always assume that when someone is near to goal weight everything is easy, reading your posts make me realize it is not. I am 5' 7" and weigh 157lbs. I relate to your previous bingeing as I am either very good or very bad. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

• Hi, Anne! Yep, weight is just one tiny aspect of health. There's so much more. For whatever reason, losing weight hasn't been *hard* for me (once I figured out I just can't tolerate wheat, and how to kill the constant cravings for me), albeit slow, but other things continue to get worse even as I turn so many big health problems around.

I've been really resistant to journaling the last few weeks, even though things have been going fairly well. I did find myself in cravings land after a week at the lake, then a week at the beach, but nothing huge happened. Definitely no binge.

One very interesting development was realizing that during the week at the beach, I had only one instance of cramps/runs. Weird, since I was choosing primally from food prepared by others, which meant conventional meat, lots of microwaving, few veggies, little broth, ... and no meat fat. Always totally lean meat. Despite eating CO daily, I realized that I had had no meat fat. So I've been watching ever since, and am about 85% sure now that it is excess animal fat that causes the IBS for me.

WHAT?!?!

It didn't used to, that's for sure. This started somewhere between Nov & Feb - I think closer to Feb. Now, yes, I have severe fat malabsorption, but I had it back when I wasn't having the runs, too.

It also *seems* to correspond with increased bloating and increased gallbladder-area dull pan ... but I'm not totally sure. Keeping my eye on things.

What would cause this to begin? What can I do to fix it? I'm at a loss. For now, it's

B: 7oz of (raw beef) liver & other meat (pork chop, ham steak (uncured), polish beef sliders...), 1.5-2T coconut oil
      L: soup: broth, boiled summer squash, cinnamon & cumin, 1T CO
      D: simple meat, maybe a veggie

I have a hard time staying 100%, but I am 100% most days. Yesterday I had salad, green beans, watermelon, & fried rabbit (soaked in whey, rolled in coconut flour & paprika, etc.) and didn't get crazy bloat. Bloat, yes, but not crazy.

This week, I've had several days of being much more interested in doing than sitting. Praise God for that! Sleepiness has overcome that two of the days, but in general, it's there, and I'm sleeping around 11-7:30, with occasional afternoon naps this week.

Things are looking up.

Still at 138. I stopped weighingfor a while when I knew my legs & arms were still swollen, then weighed when they stopped swelling (like 1/2" overnight, so definitely not fat loss) and yep, back down to a good weight again. Lowest has been 137.75.
      5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
      Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
      Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
      Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
      ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• You journal is very inspiring! Thank you for so much detail. I'm still new around here. Being mindful about everything that goes in the body is the key to health. Your self-observations are keen. Thanks for sharing!
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d61289-12.html

Comment

• Thanks for the kind words, avocadogirl!

Still experimenting and trying to get down to an elimination diet that works. It seems, bizarrely enough, that cutting way back on all fats but CO is helping considerably. When I do eat stuff my body doesn't like, like actual coconut, the damage isn't as bad and doesn't last all week.

I'm still struggling, ,though, with the effects of the deprivation/frustration-induced variety-cravings I've been having the last month or so. I'm buckling down this week and following this pattern - JUST FOR A WEEK - to get the apparent effects of more-fat-than-I-can-handle out of my system, and then start working on supplements, variety, etc.,, to see if I can fix this nonsense.

Gallbladder-area-pain is down, too, but again - my ultrasound detected NO stones, no thickening, nothing.

BREAKFAST
          7oz protein via pork chop, sausage (no sugar or nightshades, just salt/pepper/cumin or something like that), etc., plus liver
          1.5T CO
          fermented cukes

LUNCH
          Soup: broth, yellow squash, 1T CO, CSS, pot/sod salt blend, tons of cinnamon (probably need to back off on this), cumin
          Half serving or less of summer fruit like blueberries or watermelon or raspberries

SNACK
          Thyrogold!

DINNER
          3-6oz meat
          Half serving or less of summer fruit
          LEF Magnesium

That seems to be able to keep me satiated & nourished.

Next week, I want to try, in an order resembling this one, one new thing every 3-5 days:
          - Swedish bitters
          - Eggs
          - Ox bile or bile salts
          - Rx grade probiotic
          - Digestive enzymes
          - Vit B complex
          - Curcumin
          - Possibly NAC, Zinc, Feverfew, Seagest again.
          - Possibly local quack-y doctor's supplements (and Naturethroid) for a month
          - BUTTER (hmmm, 'tis fat. maybe I can tolerate small amounts in my veggies?)
          - daily natural C

The great news is that my physical energy is pretty darn steady at 6/10 or maybe sometimes 7/10!!! Mood is still up and down, but mostly NOT the doldrums.

Comment

BBT - 97.6 (fabulous for post-AF, and much higher than this time last month)
            274 days binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
            - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein, w/i 30m of rising: yes.no(1hr).
            - 5+ hrs between B/L & L/D:
            - finished dinner by 7:30, 3.5hrs between dinner & bed: y, __..
            - no snacking, <50g carb/day, 100% primal, GAPS: y.y.y.y.
            - morning temp & sun; dark house @ sunset:no(overcast, wet). y.
            - no PUFA's other than fCLO:y.

Morning
            D5K, Bcmplx150: yes.
            HCl, DigEnz, Bitters:
            CO, Probx: 2T.yes.
            Feverfew, Curcumin:
            Organs, broth, ferments: no..yes.

Midday
            15m sun, Cold:
            Salt, Potassium:
            Se200, Seaweed:
            Green tea, VitC, ACV:
            Glutathione, Zinc:
            Mg, Liver support:

Suspect foods (FODMAPs, nightshades, coconut flesh): trace red pepper

B - 7+oz polish ssg, ferm pickle.
            L -
            D -

Results
            - Energy: . Mood: .
            - Bloating: Been feeling my hip bones within a few hours of each meal ever since decreasing the animal fat. . .
            - Skin: Very soft upper arms with only very mild (&soft) bumps, leg & rump skin is smoothest ever, hands & rest still super soft!
            - Sleep: kept up by severe cramps last night till midnight, then 12-8am. Felt bleh, but was able to get up.

Brisket Sat night gave me no cramps (even though I foolishly forgot and ate tons of its fat), while it gave me bad ones last night (even with much less, and far less fat). Sat night I had green beans & trace broth with it, and took dig enz as soon as I realized all the fat I'd eaten. Last night I had nothing else. This is very definitely something to keep in mind once I get that base level of healthy-without-much-non-CO-fat I'm looking for.

I'm definitely feeling a new hopefulness with this new discovery, even though it's imminently frustrating! Information is good!
            Last edited by MamaGrok; 07-31-2012, 07:21 AM.

Comment

• Hey Mamagrok! I see you're still working hard at figuring things out. I hope the pieces come together for you soon! Hope you're having a great summer!
              (paulalynn from Dr. Kruse's site)

Comment

• Thank you!

It does seem that the fat-problem connection is there. I did have one instance of pain without having what I thought was much fat, and had fat once without a problem. Maybe it's a matter of having just below the threshold at one meal, and then again at the next meal, = too much.

But why?!

!!

I've been eating a high fat diet for FOUR YEARS without this stuff. The bloating has been there a long while, but the cramps & runs & RUQ dull tenderness didn't start till late last fall or so (several months into LR, one month into 65g breakfast, I think?).

Why would I suddenly start having gall bladder problems? I have no idea. But I *am* happy to have some direction in which to focus. I've been going easy on all fats but CO, and poof, starting losing fat again for the first time in five months.

!

I found a website talking about a connection between hypothyroid and gall bladder emptying.

Low thyroid function translates to slower metabolism, reduced hydrochloric acid output, slower digestion, reduced gallbladderemptying, formation of gallstones and sometimes even slower mental acuity.
                http://www.gallbladderattack.com/cgi...uestionaire.pl

Perhaps low thyroid -> slowly emptying GB -> swells with discomfort + not enough bile getting gut to digest fat = bloating? (But still, stool is dark=plenty of bile...?) More fat than it can handle at once -> signal to GET THE FOOD THROUGH WITH DIGESTION = waves of painful cramps -> diarrhea? (but still, dark...?)

At any rate, as I suspected, when my gut got happy, even though it's not 100% or totally consistent, I started losing fat again. My hip bones come back within a few hours of each meal, I never get the awful hypersensitive-love-handle feeling, & most measurements are down. Woke up one day 1.5lb below the day previous, but up again 136-138 since. Some day, the Lord willing, I'll figure it out!

In the meantime, I am going to re-introduce eggs & probably butter oil. I really need to get nutrients in so another babe can be healthfully conceived some time soon, the Lord willing.

Comment

• 140+ (was 135.5 3 days ago. 2 days ago got round in the belly & sides; still don't know why)
                  BBT - 97.0 (CD 15)
                  283 days binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
                  - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein, w/i 30m of rising: yes.no(40m).
                  - 5+ hrs between B/L & L/D: 6 (too long).4.5 (too short)
                  - finished dinner by 7:30, 3.5hrs between dinner & bed: no(8).close.
                  - no snacking, <50g carb/day, 100% primal, GAPS: yes.no(fruit strips).yes.yes.
                  - morning temp & sun; dark house @ sunset:no.sorta.
                  - no PUFA's other than fCLO:yes.none.

Morning
                  D5K, Bcmplx150: out.yes.
                  HCl, DigEnz, Bitters: no.yes.yes.
                  CO, Probx: 2T.yes.
                  Feverfew, Curcumin:
                  Organs, broth, ferments: liver/heart/kidney.yes.pickle juice.

Midday
                  15m sun, Cold: no.no.
                  Salt, Potassium: big pinch.yes.
                  Se200, Seaweed: no.
                  Green tea, VitC, ACV: 2C.no.no.
                  Glutathione, Zinc: no.
                  Mg, Liver support: LEFMag.no.

Suspect foods (FODMAPs, nightshades, coconut flesh): trace red pepper, apple juice (in fruit strips) ... can't remember if apples are FODMAPs.

B - 6.2oz braunschweiger, sm piece ssg, ferm pickle juice.
                  L - soup: broth, CO, yellow squash, thin ssg slice, liver galore, cumin, probably too much cinnamon. Kept eating: two TJ's dried fruit strips, three TJ's dark choc caramel bites (like rolos, but much smaller).
                  D - 1-2oz ham steak, bite cooked kale, ?

Results
                  - Energy: 6. Mood: 6.
                  - Bloating: round today, don't know why.
                  - Skin: Very soft, other than slight arm bumps this week.
                  - Sleep: Last week I found myself lying awake for an hour or so each night, and had no idea why. I got way behind in sleep, but to avoid lying awake at night, I decided to get up at 8 or 8:20 (nap button!) each day, and skip naps, no matter how hard. It was hard!! But I'm very slowly catching up, and also falling asleep very quickly and heavily at night, as I'd hoped. Last night, slept 11-8:20. Heavy dreaming, as usual.

I'm just really, ,really bloated now. Dunno why, either. Literally no guesses. Fat intake has been consistent. More fruit the last 2-3 days, but I had had that last week with no problem. Broth?? (seems like I didn't have any yesterday, though, can't remember)
                  Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-09-2012, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• Fat is a classic trigger for IBS. Was reading this website yesterday Irritable Bowel Syndrome ~ Help For IBS Treatments, Diet & IBS Education. Learn all about an Irritable Bowel Syndrome diagnosis, IBS treatments, the Eating for IBS diet, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptom management.. Posting a link in case it's useful.
                    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
                    Harold Whitman

Comment

• Thanks! No doubt that IBS is an appropriate blanket term for my symptoms. I just can't figure out what suddenly changed to cause this. So odd!

Comment

• Okay, lots to catch up on. I was way bloated for about four days & never figured out why. TJ's B complex?? Who knows.

It went away when I did GAPS intro again Mon-Wed. Dropped 2.5lb the first day (bye, bloat!). Felt better than in a few weeks the second day. Dropped .5lb the third day. Saw my ribs again (even while lower gut was still not great). Ate a ton of sprouted-buckwheat/coconut/raising trail mix. Felt brick in stomach. Body rejected it entirely within 20 minutes!

My eyelids seem to be less droopy this week! AND ... holy moly ... conversation at Trader Joe's tonight:

TJ's cashier: Do you play sports or something? Soccer? Tennis? You must play something; you look so athletic. ... you haven't worked out in FIVE YEARS?!

Me: (beaming on the way home with my whole fat yogurt & pounds of Kerrygold butter)

Something's changing!

Comment

• Hi MG!

Still coming here and reading you. Can't forget you, you've been my inspiration at the beginning of my journey I hope you are doing good and you'll finally figure out that bloating.

Are you're still Cting?

Comment

• Frak.

Comment

• What's up? i have missed you.

Comment

• A near binge. IDK; does it count? 1000 calories worth of creme brulee (not hard to do!), a hefty serving of yogurt covered raisins, and a couple strips of (100% fruit) fruit leather.

Yeah, probably not. But it WAS out of control, and it was completely not what I intellectually willed to eat, and made me feel horrible, physically.

These cravings have been creeping up this summer while I've been experimenting with whether fat might be contributing to IBS. The less animal fat I eat (even when it's mostly replaced with coconut oil), the more cravings rear their ugly heads.

I'm stuck at 140lb, too. I think it's almost all water weight in the same areas - thigh/wrist/calves - & bloating in the belly. It feels so wretched.

Well, I idon't have cancer, so I oughtta quit griping.

Comment

Working...
                                X