No announcement yet.

Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Puerto Rico Wednesday with dh ... JUST dh! This is our first ever vacation without kids (in or ex utero). Three days of vitamin D, primal glory.

I'm trying to decide where I"m going to compromise on food. I'm just not going to PR without eating mofongo, sorry. But I think plantain is fairly decent - not a nightshade, nto a fruit, don't know how its starchiness compares to a potato or a parsnip. Mofongo means garlic, and if that means bloating fo ra week, so be it. Garlic is not going to be the death of me.

But no habichuelas, and probably need to go easy on the tostones. No plantain chips, obviously, those aren't traditional, anyway.

I'm not going to bother with supp' except thyrogold, and not with broth or ferments, but will bring CO for good fat (SO important). I think I'll manage my protein just fine. DH is way supportive of my goals, so no way I'll slip and have anything sweet, wheat, or dairy. Good to go, and enjoy the amazing hiking, mountain biking, spelunking, swimming, & horseback riding!!!!! with my best friend!
    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• shoot, I accidentally erased 3/13's food journal. Oh, well! Not that exciting, I guess.
      Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-18-2012, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• Today is a compendium of the previous four days in Puerrrrrrrrto Rrrrrrrrico!

Leptin Sensitive?
        BBT - thermometer's batteries are on the way
        unknown
        140-143 days binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
        - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein yes!
        - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising within an hour, I think
        - 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunch yes, no lunch (except Sat, no dinner that day and ate lunch instead)
        - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner yes, no lunch
        - finished dinner by 7:30? yes, except 8 one day
        - no snacking yes
        - 3.5+ hrs between dinner & bedtime yes, except Thur (dinner done @ 8, bed by 9!)
        - exposure to morning temp & sun yes, lots of glorious sunshine
        - darkening the house at sunset yes, outside 95% of every day from rising to bed, including meals & evening
        - 100% primal diet some fake oils & sugar likely, but not much
        - <50g carb per day, GAPS (no grains, sugar, legumes, lactose, or starches) This is the one thing I forgot to pay attention to. It's possible I exceeded this some days, but certainly still way less than 100. Carb level & CO level & circadian light exposure did match temperature. Trace sugar. Plantain is off GAPS and I had LOTS of that. Avoided dairy, wheat, corn, nuts, & legumes fastidiously. Bite of rice on Sat. Some citrus & 1-2 strawberries & some pineapple.
        - no PUFA's other than fCLO yes, except any hidden corn oils, etc. (no nuts, no intentional veg oils, etc.)

Morning
        D (5000IU) - ~2hrs direct tropical sun each day (but not on the same body part)
        B complex -
        HCl (600mg/meal)- yes, with every meal (until Sat lunch when I ran out, and forgot till just after the meal sometimes)
        CO - 1-3T/day
        Dig Enz - Dig Gold before each meal (except some where I forgot till just after)
        Organs, broth, ferments: 2 thyrogold/day, no broth or ferments

Midday
        Sun - loads
        Selenium (200mg) - no
        Vit C (to BT till I know how much it takes on a normal day, then switch to acerola to find the same thing) - 1-4gm/day
        ACV -
        Green tea -
        Salt and/or potassium - ~.5T/day
        Seaweed - off till doing well on full GAPS (polysaccharides)
        Glutathione -
        Mg (700mg) -
        Liver support -

No FODMAPs or nightshades? - garlic & onion in seasonings (trace onion), some accidental bites of tomato/bell/cayenne, some shroom. tried to avoid as much as possible except where nothing else was available
        Cold - Nope. Pretty much avoided all artificial sources of heat & AC AMAP.

B - some EGGS, (sugar likely) sausage & bacon, leftover dinner meats

D - beef, pork, MOFONGO MOFONGO MOFONGO & tostones (garlicky mashed green plantains), maduras (fried ripe plantains), SALAD once, snapper, lobster, octopus, conch, (all seafood VERY fresh) I LOVE boricua food!!

Results
        - energy 5?/10. Was able to do stuff fine, but did tire some more than I'd like. Was able to kayak (pitch black among the mangroves) for two hours, climb down 10 foot dirt wall using only tree roots, explore pitch black caves, climb limestone walls up to caves, horseback riding for 2hrs (on a stubborn Paso Fino who kept trying to switch out of her paso corto into a trot), happily and without too much exertion. But after the (total) half hour trotting (posting is tiring on the legs), my quads were SHOT and are still very sore two days later. Not leptin sensitive at the muscles?
        - bloating was up after meals and down on waking, much to my pleased surprise, not horrible at all!
        - skin = very smooth
        - slept heavily and long each night, and from 9-6:30 two nights - down with the sun, and up for the sunrise! Dh & I were amazed how quickly we felt compelled to sleep with the sun after being outside all day every day.
        - lots of pimples still
        - slightly carb-triggered now (Sunday),, but not bad
        - the size 6 shorts that fit perfectly on Thur were slightly tight on Sat. When I got home, I measured - calves were up 1/2" and thighs up 1"! !! Back down slightly Sun morning. Definitely a result of the food, no telling whether it was the tiny amount of FODMAPs, tiny amount of nightshades, slightly over 50g carbs, non-GAPS plantains, fruits, change of temp, slight amount of industrial oils (I know snapper was fried in corn oil), slight amount of sugar (in breakfast meats), addition of non-AID foods (eggs), raw foods (lettuce, cabbage, carrot, but very little), or the combo. Fingers are also swollen & I havev a heat rash bump above my ring I haven't had in a long time.
        - stopped up almost the whole time. ?

Overall,, the reaction to the off-plan (but truly, only very slightly) food is a lot less than I imagined. I have to thiink the HCl & dig enz did a huge help. But clearly, there *is* a reaction, and I'm certainly not "healed" yet.
        Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-18-2012, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• Leptin Sensitive?
          143 - not bad for all the off-plan food
          144 days binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
          - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein pretty sure
          - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising yes
          - 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunch yes, no lunch
          - finished dinner by 7:30? no, 8
          - no snacking yes
          - 3.5+ hrs between dinner & bedtime no, 3.5
          - exposure to morning temp & sun yes, 62 & gorgeous!
          - darkening the house at sunset forgot
          - 100% primal diet yes
          - <50g carb per day, GAPS (no grains, sugar, legumes, lactose, or starches) yes
          - no PUFA's other than fCLO yes

Morning
          D (5000IU) - 6,000IU + lots of morning sun (no troubles with hours of it)
          B complex - yes
          HCl (600mg/meal)- yes, yes
          CO - 3T (GI for a while)
          Dig Enz - 1tsp swed bitters + Digest Gold before bkfst & dinner
          Organs, broth, ferments: 2 thyrogold, 1T roe, SKJ, broth, heart/tongue; SKJ

Midday
          Sun - yes, lots
          Selenium (200mg) - 400mg
          Vit C (to BT till I know how much it takes on a normal day, then switch to acerola to find the same thing) -
          ACV -
          Green tea -
          Salt and/or potassium - salted broth
          Glutathione - 1cap milk thistle w/ bkfst & dinner
          Mg (700mg) - 400mg at dinner
          Liver support -

No FODMAPs or nightshades? - trace cayenne. NONE starting tomorrow. Out out!
          Cold - 1hr cold bath with ice (67, ice took it to 62 degrees). Skin temp went from 92 to 64. Skin under ice pack went to 47. Need to get the bath colder! I was never really cold, though, started shivering a wee bit after about 45m, then shivered a while after getting out.

B - 1 slice cayenned ssg, 1T carp roe, SKJ, 3T CO, heart/tongue/beef pot roast, bite mofongo, bite arepa (corn griddle cake)

D - steak. Feltl a bit woozy afterward, then remembered the protein:fat balance thing. ?

Results
          - energy /10. Was able to do stuff fine, but did sitting stuff as much as possible
          - bloating = 3mo? morning
          - skin = very smooth
          - slept 11:30-7:30, then 8-9
          - pimples. Also, noticed bumps in cheek mucosa almost immediately after starting several of my meals while away
          - felt quite energized after CT. Big emotional downturn just before dinner that lasted a while. Detox? Coincidence?
          Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-19-2012, 07:21 AM.

Comment

• I just noticed all the posts on the first two pages of my journal suddenly have titles, and the title for all but one of them is "1". Weird!

LOVED my PR trip with DaddyGrok. Very relaxing, very full of fun physical outside activity, just awesome. The sad part of the trip is the people's changes. There seems to be a lot more obesity than even our first trip there about 7 years ago, and there is a clear line - everyone born before about 1990 still have beautiful, I mean BEAUTIFUL Taino faces - the copper skin, high cheekbones, high eyebrows, perfect Weston Price jaws, shoulders, teeth.

Those born after around that time have the typical post-industrial look - narrowed faces & palates & bodies, recessed chins. They've lost the Taino look, ,just as Price described cultures losing their ancestral appearance with the advent of industrial foods. Most look Hispanic because of coloring, but you can't necessarily tell they're puertoricense, even with parents who clearly are. There are a lot more obese adults of all ages and even children, too.

What it took the States 150 years to do, they're going to see in one generation. It's going to hurt, and it makes me so sad for these beautiful (aesthetically, yes,, but cultural,, spiritually, and internally) people.

Comment

• So my legs swelled up between Thur & Sat, to the point that last night (Sat), calf was up 1/2" to 15" and thigh was up 1" to 24 1/4 or more. This morning, calf was back to 14 3/4, thigh was down to 23 3/4 or so.

Just now, they're both all the way back up. CT causing toxins to release, or reaction to cayenne or mofongo or trace corn in my breakfast?

What a mystery, this swelling.

Comment

• Monday morning body report.

I woke up several times last night thinking I had a lot of pain in the back of my neck and front of my head. I'm not sure if I did or was dreaming. Currently, I have pain behind my left shoulder blade, similar to when I hurt myself turning my head too much to use my computer (yeah, so way lame).

BabyGrok woke up a lot last night. Not surprisingly after spending 4 days eating 3-4 svg/wheat each day at Grandma's house.

Not very bloated at all - can see the contours of my belly again. But my stomach is VERY tender to the touch, more so than I can ever remember. Clearly the trace FODMAPs, small amount of nightshades, loads of starchy plantain, and trace accidental grain oil & sugar did little or nothing to my bloating. Is it because the amount (or kind) would never have made me bloated, or would they have done so a month ago, but not now (thanks to HCl, dig enz, liver support tea, milk thistle, etc.)?

Calf was up to 15 1/4 last night! It was visibly swollen. It still looks swollen this morning, but is back to 14.5. ? Thigh was up to 24 1/4 (I think) again last night, but is back to 24 this morning (still up, but not as much). Wrist, forearm, & upper arm measurements are all lower even than the week before.

I need to take my liver tea today. I feel like there's some stuff wanting to detox and it's a bit stifled.

Comment

• Leptin Sensitive? Not with these sore legs!
                  145 days binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
                  - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein yes
                  - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising no, 1hr.
                  - finished dinner by 7:30? no, 8
                  - no snacking sorta, forgot CO till 1hr after breakfast
                  - 3.5+ hrs between dinner & bedtime yes, 4+
                  - exposure to morning temp & sun yes, 62 & gorgeous!
                  - darkening the house at sunset will soon
                  - 100% primal diet yes, well except the xantham gum
                  - no PUFA's other than fCLO forgot fCLO

Morning
                  D (5000IU) - 6,000IU
                  B complex - yes
                  CO - 3T (GI), some at dinner
                  Organs, broth, ferments: 2 thyrogold, SKJ, liver; SKJ, broth

Midday
                  Sun - good bit throughout day
                  Selenium (200mg) - 400mg
                  Vit C (to BT till I know how much it takes on a normal day, then switch to acerola to find the same thing) -
                  ACV -
                  Green tea - some
                  Salt and/or potassium - 1T post-breakfast in CO
                  Mg (700mg) - 200mg afternoon ,400mg after dinner
                  Liver support - 2C yogi detox tea

No FODMAPs or nightshades? - yes
                  Cold -

B - 4oz liverwurst, 3+oz liver/heart ssg, SKJ, 3T CO (remembered 1hr later),

D - heart/liver ssg, 3oz beef jerky (it was a LOT), some CO, some broth, SKJ, half gluten-free cookie and half gluten-free cupcake

Results
                  - energy 4-5/10.
                  - bloating = 3mo morning, felt it going up as soon as I ate that dang cupcake
                  - skin = very smooth
                  - slept 10:30-7:30, several TdlrGrok interruptions, bad dream (tried to scream & scared dh), still sleepy after hitting nap and sleeping till 8. Sleepy at 10:30am.
                  - slight headache and strong headache on pulse when standing too fast. Back of neck does hurt when head is leaned forward.
                  Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-20-2012, 07:00 AM.

Comment

• Alright, story of my demise (no, not a binge, but still...)...

Had a St. Patrick's Day storytime at my house, all was mostly fine - tired and feeling weird, but headache gone by then. Then had to do music for PSR, was very tired by then and wanted to sleep. felt a little shaky in the core. Made it through, but never had time at all today to plan dinner, so got home and ate sausage while planning chicken soup for the rest of the family. Then kept eating beef jerky. Then remembered some CO and barely awake. Then spied the cookies & cupcakes. Ate half of one of each. Head is spinning, throat feels fluttery. Want to zonk and wake up with the bloating and spinning & the rest all gone. It was just butter & honey & almond (?) flour, but bleh. Burning up, too.

ETA blood sugar 45m post-crap is 139! From the equivalent of one serving of a primal dessert. Sheesh!

60m post-crap: 112. Better.

What is the primary thing wrong with me if I react so strongly to so little honey?
                    Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-19-2012, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• BBT - thermometer's batteries are on the way
                      146 days binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
                      - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein yes, and then some
                      - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising no, 1hr+.
                      - finished dinner by 7:30? yes, 6:15
                      - no snacking yes
                      - 3.5+ hrs between dinner & bedtime yes, 4?
                      - exposure to morning temp & sun yes, beautiful!
                      - darkening the house at sunset forgot, but put my blue-blocking shades on. They're hot & sweaty & I don't like my yellow screen!
                      - 100% primal diet yes
                      - no PUFA's other than fCLO forgot fclo, too

Morning
                      D (5000IU) - 8,000IU
                      B complex - yes
                      CO - 3T
                      Organs, broth, ferments: 2 thyrogold, SK, liver/heart, broth; SK

Midday
                      Sun - intermittent
                      Selenium (200mg) - yes
                      Vit C (to BT till I know how much it takes on a normal day, then switch to acerola to find the same thing) - 3 +
                      ACV -
                      Green tea - several cups
                      Salt and/or potassium - 1T in broth
                      Mg (700mg) - 600mg with dinner
                      Liver support - 1C yogi detox tea, ran out

Cold - strapped ice packs on as I went to sleep (never fear, with a layer of silk between me & the pack)

B - SK, 2oz raw pork? liver, 2C broth, liver/heart ssg, chicken, gristle&goo, cilantro, zuke, spinach

D - liver/heart ssg, steak, SK

Results
                      - energy 4/10. sleepy, too
                      - bloating = 3mo morning (thank goodness!)
                      - skin = slightly bumpy upper arms
                      - slept hard 12:15-7:30 when dd woke me, grrr. Weird dreams. Not overly sleepy, though. Had thick drainage in my throat when lying down last night, butter? Honey? I've had it rarely, but a few times, in the last year.
                      - upper spine aches, don't know why.
                      - PITTING EDEMA this morning on calf! What is causing that?? But it only measures 14.5 and change. Thigh is 24". Wrist is still very down, forearm slightly up. pitting down by end of day
                      Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-21-2012, 06:39 AM.

Comment

• Pictures, pictures, I've got more pictures!

October 2011, me in purple shirt:

Today, March 2012, same purple shirt:

Into new goal jeans! These are size 7's that I last wore in 2004 (I LOVED these jeans until I spilled the rubber cement on them, grr!), and the shirt is a tee that I got that year and wore exactly once before I got too fat to wear it.

There is also a less-than-flattering rear shot that I will save as a "before" and post it when those jeans look like "after"s! I cannot currently bend enough to sit down in them, lol.

Pic dh took of me looking out of Cueva Ventana onto the Puerto Rican countryside during our 15th anniversary trip to our favorite Boricuan isle!

Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-20-2012, 09:40 AM.

Comment

• Q on my sudden pitting edema, and asking me if I ever use Concentrace: The edema is essentially a electrolyte imbalance + an inflammation response + Lymphatic sluggishness. so when you look at those which applies in your case? BTW Hormones play into the electrolyte balance. vis-a-vis aldesterone

Gotta shrink those pics.

Comment

• Another dh took on Survival Beach west of Isabela

And look what I found under all the fat (couldn't get the camera to focus for some reason, but the curve is there)!

Keeping in mind that I haven't done more 10 sessions of strength training in the last six years, that means those curves are the ones I started building 20 years ago, and all but stopped 10 years ago. They've been hidden for the last six years under this:

Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-20-2012, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• BBT - got the batteries, lost the thermometer, lol
                              140 - woohoo!
                              147 days binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
                              - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein at least
                              - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising no, 1hr. just too dang tired & uncomfortable to get going in the morning
                              - finished dinner by 7:30? 7:45?
                              - no snacking well, either 1 snack or a tiny lunch ... 1/3C of fermened coconut water!
                              - 3.5+ hrs between dinner & bedtime no, 3?
                              - exposure to morning temp & sun yes, overcast & 62
                              - darkening the house at sunset yes
                              - 100% primal diet trace canola in fruit
                              - no PUFA's other than fCLO trace canola

Morning
                              D (5000IU) - 8,000IU
                              B complex - yes
                              CO - 2T
                              Organs, broth, ferments: 2 thyrogold, forgot SKJ, liver/heart; marrow

Midday
                              Sun - intermittent
                              Selenium (200mg) - yes
                              Vit C (to BT till I know how much it takes on a normal day, then switch to acerola to find the same thing) - 3gm + 2
                              ACV -
                              Green tea - 2C
                              Salt and/or potassium - ssg seemed too salty this morning, so skipped, even though POTS, b/c of pitting edema. <1/2C fermented coconut water for K, plus ConcenTrace & SKJ. Edema gone on right leg and decreased on left by late afternoon
                              Glutathione - 1cap milk thistle w/ bkfst & ; 1200mg NAC
                              Mg (700mg) - 200mg 1pm, 600mg dinner
                              Liver support -

Cold - ice packs throughout the day on belly

B - 1.5oz raw liver, liver/heart ssg, cilantro, 2T CO, dried (& fried) fruit (2/3 serving?)

"L" - <1/2C coconut water for the potassium

D - ham steak. GI effects 10:30pm. same as last night. HCl? (not burning, though)

Results
                              - energy <4/10. resistant to moving all day
                              - bloating = 2mo!!
                              - skin = slightly bumpy upper arms
                              - slept hard 11:15-8. could have slept more. desperately needed nap by 2, but couldn't till 30m nap at 5. more energy after this, and as evening wore on, but still very sleepy.
                              - upper spine & calves still moderately sore
                              - Calf is still measuring down, but looking puffy and still pitting edema. Thigh is back down low, bloating is way down, and all measurements looking great. EXTREME tachycardia on rising, 120! Down a bit when I sit down.
                              - stomach cramps after each icing? Seems belly fat is WAY down. Maybe I'll ice thigh & knee next!
                              Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-21-2012, 07:58 PM.

Comment

• wow! huge congratulations. these are super inspiring. yay yay yay!!!
                                biggest part of stomach, below belly button: (1.12.12) 33.5"
                                biggest part around bottom and thighs: (1.12.12) 38.5"

Comment

Working...
                                X