Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Oh, yeah, I came here to post that I've had increased bruising this last week.

History: I never bruised easily. Never.

Then, around 13 years ago, I noticed I would bruise when I took kickboxing classes. But these were no-contact classes. it seemed to be just from jarring the air.

I've noticed in the last few years that every now and then, bruises will just appear, almost always on my upper legs. They are not "easy bruising from light bumps" - I am not bumping into anything. Also, I do not bleed easily. Never have, still don't. So the stuff I can find online about easy bruising is useless for what I'm seeing.

I have a guess that it is going along with detoxifying or something like that. Right now, I have about 10 of them between both legs. Small to med size and black.

Also, and this is good, since going off the FODMAPs, I don't seem to have the calf swelling anymore. ?
    I read:

Some people — especially women — are more prone to bruising than are others. As you get older, several factors can contribute to easy bruising, including:

Aging capillaries. Over time, the tissues supporting these vessels weaken, and capillary walls become more fragile and prone to rupture.
    Thinning skin. With age, your skin becomes thinner and loses some of the protective fatty layer that helps cushion your blood vessels from injury. Excessive exposure to the sun accelerates this process.

Can medications and supplements contribute to easy bruising?

Blood-thinning drugs such as aspirin and warfarin (Coumadin) or medications such as clopidogrel (Plavix) reduce your blood's ability to clot. As a result, bleeding from capillary damage might take longer than usual to stop — which allows enough blood to leak out and cause a bruise.

Topical and systemic corticosteroids — which can be used to treat various conditions, including allergies, asthma and eczema — cause your skin to thin, making it easier to bruise. Certain dietary supplements, such as fish oil and ginkgo, also can increase your bruising risk due to a blood-thinning effect.
    Amie Sue...

Comment

• Yeah, I'm not old and wasn't when it started, either, lol. No excessive sun exposure, no meds ever, no ginkgo, and very little fish oil (1/2 tsp/day). And as I mentioned, I don't bleed easily. It's not blood thinning, so far as I can tell.

Thanks for the leads! this is the frustration I've experienced - nothing I can find on the issue applies to me! I'm sure Dr. K would know off the top of his head, lol.
      5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
      Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
      Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
      Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
      ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Wow MamaGrok, 129 days binge free!! This is amazing!
        I discovered Dr Kruse blog a few weeks ago, have been on the reset since beginning of Febuary and doing CT for the last 2 weeks (showers, baths and ice packs). I have an history of bulemia, ain't purging for a year now but still binging from time to time...When I stopped purging, I gained a lot of weight because I was binging all the time. I was also over-training. Hormones went out of control, sleep was so bad, at one point I barely slept for 3 months...Went Paleo last August, helped a lot with binging and sugar addiction, but sleep was still the major problem. Since doing the reset, hunger has decreased, but I still binge from time to time -like today - but at least I don't eat gluten anymore, trying to reduce the negative consequences...
        Sleep as improved a lot in the last week, so glad about that, and feel kind of stupid about screwing up today...
        But everyday I think of you, and tell myself that it is doable, and that I can do it. You are my inspiration, and wanted to thank you
        K

Comment

• Wow, that is very humbling, K. Thanks for sharing *your* part of the story. I did binge/fast, but it's the same problem at its heart, and yes, I gained weight when I stopped the fast, but didn't yet have control over the binge. I was fortunate in that I found a program (RAdiant Recovery) to help with the sugar addiction, but it could only go so far, as it really pushed high carb eating. B/c it did work on the sugar problem, I only gained ten pounds, which I call the best ten pounds I ever gained. They were the result of me finally holding onto the precious nutrients I was bringing into my house to feed my family.

Comment

• Leptin Sensitive?
            BBT - thermometer's batteries are dead
            141 w00t!
            130 days binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
            - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein yes
            - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising no, 1 hr. Getting on top of this TOMORROW.
            - 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunch yes, no lunch
            - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner yes, no lunch
            - finished dinner by 7:30? 7, yay!
            - no snacking yes, slight hunger around 4, passed with tea
            - 3.5+ hrs between dinner & bedtime yes, should be
            - exposure to morning temp & sun yes, 45 degrees & sunny
            - darkening the house at sunset yes
            - 100% primal diet may have been sugar in bacon
            - <50g carb per day, GAPS (no grains, sugar, legumes, lactose, or starches) sugar in bacon?
            - no PUFA's other than fCLO yes, but lots of that

Morning
            D (5000IU) - forgot it.
            HCl - 3 bkfst, 2 mid-dinner
            CO - 3T
            Dig Enz - Considering another brand and/or ox bile and/or bile salts
            Organs, broth, ferments: thyrogold, liver, SK; nada. Oops.

Midday
            Mg (700mg) - yes
            Selenium (200mg) - yes
            B complex - yes
            Vit C (to BT till I know how much it takes on a normal day, then switch to acerola to find the same thing) -
            ACV -
            OOO -
            Green tea -
            Salt and/or potassium - NEED SOME.. Woozy on standing.
            Seaweed - off till doing well on full GAPS (polysaccharides)

No FODMAPs or nightshades? - AFAIK - possible in BBQ
            Cold - bkfst, 40?m ice bath w/ belly packs. FELT GOOD. Wasn't even shivering afterward. Just a touch cold. Felt quite invigorating and I actually got an urge to do it again tonight!

B - 6+oz ground bf w ccc, bite bacon (probably had sugar), Bubbies SK, 1.5?oz raw pork liver, greens + half squash, 3T CO.

D - unadorned BBQ pork meat, had a reasonable portion but was still hungry, so had leftover CCC beef + greens.

Results
            - energy 5/10, but SLEEPY.
            - bloating = ~2mo morning .... looks like no effect from dinner last night. YAY! Not bad after meals today, either, although up around 3-4mo bloating an hour after dinner. It didn't happen immediately like it usually does.
            - skin = smooth except elbows & mild bumps on arms
            - slept hard from 1am-7:50am. Couldn't get back to sleep for some reason, but still very sleepy. Needed nap badly around 3, but couldn't get one. Dying to sleep at 7:30pm.
            - voice a bit scratchy & nose a bit drain-y. Someone's cold passing through (don't really seem to catch them hard these days), or detox?
            - No swelling in limbs the last few weeks. YES! Also, realized I haven't had 6pm tirades daily like I was having them last summer (and before), even while LC & primal. Thank you, God!
            - Still no hunger during day, no or easily-ignorable cravings, slightly increasing energy. Sweating a lot when I sing at church - combination of being in the hot loft and exerting the diaphragm, I guess, but I didn't used to sweat like this upstairs. Is this my equivalent of "sweats more when exercising?"

Still hungry after dinner. Grrr.

GAPS day 30
            Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-04-2012, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Party last night! Another successful one! I made up a delicious ground beef & veggie mix last night - cumin, coriander, cinnamon, salt & pepper + leftover greens = 5m dinner, so yum. It was really more than I needed, yet I still found I wanted to eat something else at the party. I found myself looking longingly at the guacamole, cheese, etc. I wonder if that's tied into the sweet dreams I've had the last several nights. Obviously those foods are far from sweets, just think it's translating into foods I might actually intellectually consider if weak, lol.

So I decided to have the carnitas, b/c they were the only thing that looked like just meat. I piled my plate high (while all the other women went for the vegetarian lasagna BLEHBLEHBLEH!!!! I was hoping someone would notice my meat pile with no veggies ,lol) and scarfed it down. Delicious.. Tasted a TINY bit sweet and may have had some salsa mixed in (I didn't see any, but their website sounded like it might have some), but I seem to have no bloating or weight or water retention effects this morning, so WOOHOO!

After eating, I had no desire for their wares at all anymore (although strangely, even though stuffed right now, my stomach feels giddy at the thought of the spread, so clearly something has triggered me and I justneed to keep an eye on the next few days for the slipper slope). Went on to have a nice, food-free social evening (didn't need to stay in the kitchen all night, like before), and had a great time joining the pro bluegrass band (and various combos made from a lot of other partygoers coming in and out of the mix) singing my heart out and holding my own with them - SO GRATEFUL for the changes that going primal has had on my voice.

K - I forgot to mention, IDK how far you've read through my journal, but I failed many, many times trying to work the leptin reset. It took me three months of repeated attempts before I tried increasing my BAB to 65g, then a month before that finally worked its magic. That was 10/31, and some time in the next month, I even lost my hunger for lunch. That has stuck ever since, too.

This is really a life-changer for me, as I"m sure you can imagine.

Just wanted to encourage you NEVER to give up! Most of the times I fell hard, I either putjust a blip about it in here (b/c it felt so hard to acknowledge it) or just disappeared for a few days/month. A lot of my frustration was in a thread I called "Have you won the war against sugar addiction" or something like that - I was so desperate and feeling so beaten down against the battle, and I kid you not, that very week, the leptin reset thread started.

Divine providence.
              Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-04-2012, 08:08 AM.

Comment

• Thank you for your words
                Fortunately, the binges happen less and less often, are smaller, and I'm not as hard on myself as I used to be when it happens. I know I will get completely binge free someday. I've been binging many years, so my body has to recover and it can't happen over night. I'm doing so much more better than last year, my friends and familly are amazed. Those 25 lbs I gained don't make me happy, but I know being healthy is the priority and they'll go away as a side effect (not all the 25 because I was too thin). I don't even weight myself anymore, it took me long to understand that I am more than a number on a scale and how I feel and how I look has nothing to do with that number.

I am so grateful I found the Paleo community and Dr Kruse blog, I feel so good now and I know I will feel even better

I know you have energy problem...I was feeling the same for many weeks: i was sleeping, but woke up so tired, couldn't barely go through my day. A week ago, I cut back on meat and replaced it by fish and seafood...I've been sleeping good for a week, waking up refreshed and full of energy! First time in my life! (I'm 33). But I don't know if it's because of the Leptin reset or the cut back on the meat...Do you take any magnesium supplement? I also bought B6+ GABA last week and took it a few times (I forgot most of the week bc I have to take it between meals), but it is very relaxing and it's supposed to help with sleep....

Have a good day

Comment

• Thank you for your words
                  Fortunately, the binges happen less and less often, are smaller, and I'm not as hard on myself as I used to be when it happens. I know I will get completely binge free someday. I've been binging many years, so my body has to recover and it can't happen over night. I'm doing so much more better than last year, my friends and familly are amazed. Those 25 lbs I gained don't make me happy, but I know being healthy is the priority and they'll go away as a side effect (not all the 25 because I was too thin). I don't even weight myself anymore, it took me long to understand that I am more than a number on a scale and how I feel and how I look has nothing to do with that number.

I am so grateful I found the Paleo community and Dr Kruse blog, I feel so good now and I know I will feel even better

I know you have energy problem...I was feeling the same for many weeks: i was sleeping, but woke up so tired, couldn't barely go through my day. A week ago, I cut back on meat and replaced it by fish and seafood...I've been sleeping good for a week, waking up refreshed and full of energy! First time in my life! (I'm 33). But I don't know if it's because of the Leptin reset or the cut back on the meat...Do you take any magnesium supplement? I also bought B6+ GABA last week and took it a few times (I forgot most of the week bc I have to take it between meals), but it is very relaxing and it's supposed to help with sleep....

Have a good day

Comment

• oups...don't know why my answer has been posted twice...sorry

Comment

• Originally posted by K-Mtl View Post
                      Thank you for your words

Have a good day
                      Amazing wins all around! here and with weight loss! hugs
                      Amie Sue...

Comment

• So glad for your increased energy! ! Can't wait to hear how your story turns out.

Comment

• New low! This is the lowest I've been since 2006, just before I conceived my fourth child. One more pound and it will be the lowest since I conceived my third. MOVING DOWN! Almost into pants I outgrew in 2003. (I loved them then, and kept them just so I could have something to be inspired by.)

I also ... recognize my face again. The fat on the apples of my cheeks & along my jawline just keeps going down and down. The heart shape is coming back, and I can almost see my high cheekbones again!

Can't remember if I posted this here, but I remembered the screaming rages I'd have many evenings around 6pm ... gone since last fall. Good riddance!!

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                            New low! This is the lowest I've been since 2006, just before I conceived my fourth child. One more pound and it will be the lowest since I conceived my third. MOVING DOWN! Almost into pants I outgrew in 2003. (I loved them then, and kept them just so I could have something to be inspired by.)

I also ... recognize my face again. The fat on the apples of my cheeks & along my jawline just keeps going down and down. The heart shape is coming back, and I can almost see my high cheekbones again!

Can't remember if I posted this here, but I remembered the screaming rages I'd have many evenings around 6pm ... gone since last fall. Good riddance!!
                            I am SOOO happy for you!!!
                            Amie Sue...

Comment

• Leptin Sensitive?
                              BBT - thermometer's batteries are dead
                              140. WOOHOO!!!!!!! Officially, beyond any doubt, now weigh less than DaddyGrok, lol
                              131 days binge-free! Soon, this # will be higher than my weight!

Leptin Resistance goals:
                              - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein yes
                              - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising about 45m? Getting on top of this.
                              - 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunch yes, no lunch
                              - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner yes, no lunch
                              - finished dinner by 7:30? gah, 7:39. could have been by 7, but dummy...
                              - no snacking yes
                              - 3.5+ hrs between dinner & bedtime Hopefully not. Hopefully I'm in bed by 10:15.
                              - exposure to morning temp & sun yes, 51 degrees & sunny
                              - darkening the house at sunset yes, candlelight
                              - 100% primal diet yes
                              - <50g carb per day, GAPS (no grains, sugar, legumes, lactose, or starches) yes
                              - no PUFA's other than fCLO yes

Morning
                              D (5000IU) - forgot till an hour after bkfst, 20,000IU b/c I feel like I'm getting a cold and can't take garlic (FODMAP)
                              HCl - 3 bkfst, forgot dinner
                              CO - 3T, forgot till 1.5hrs after bkfst! Sheesh!
                              Dig Enz - Considering another brand and/or ox bile and/or bile salts
                              Organs, broth, ferments: thyrogold, liver/heart, SKJ; bit of liver/heart

Midday
                              Mg (700mg) - 1tsp before bed, 2C epsom salts in hot water, poured into my cold bath
                              Selenium (200mg) - yes
                              B complex - yes
                              Vit C (to BT till I know how much it takes on a normal day, then switch to acerola to find the same thing) - 4gm+2+1+2+
                              ACV -
                              OOO -
                              Green tea - 3C +
                              Salt and/or potassium - 1T at bkfst, VERY woozy this morning, pulse way over 120 on standing after waking up.
                              Seaweed - off till doing well on full GAPS (polysaccharides)

No FODMAPs or nightshades? - some cayenne in dinner sausage
                              Cold - 45m ice bath (guessing 55-60 degrees?) at night + belly pack

B - 6+oz beef ssg, Bubbies SKJ, 1.5?oz raw pork liver, greens

D - bkfst ssg, PP bkfst ssg, ham steak, bit of cauliflower

Results
                              - energy 5/10 moving to zombie sleepy for rest of day
                              - bloating = ~2mo morning, huge after bkfst; down again, then 5mo after meat-snacking.
                              - skin = same
                              - slept hard from 10:30-7:30am. Still very sleepy. Dying for nap by 10am. Took one at 1, but only got in 45m or so. Spent rest of day groggy. Desperately needed food by 5:45, ate ssg till ran out, ate kids' (cayenne and maybe sugar) ssg till ran out, bloated by then and mad, ate ham steak even though I wasn't hungry and was increasingly bloated (I always do this when I bloat mid-meal, don't knwo why). GROUCHY (probably mostly sleep deprivation). Took cold bath. Felt a little shivery here and there, unusual. Pushed it till 45m, hard! My arms were having a hard time b/c I'd keep one out at a time to work the keyboard, and that one would get cold while in the air. But the cold bath woke me up as soon as I got in, and not in an obvious shock kind of way, either. Yay! Feeling much better now, hope to get in bed by 10:15 still.
                              - voice a bit scratchy
                              - very top of thigh down at least 1/4" from yesterday.
                              -

GAPS day 31
                              Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-05-2012, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• I felt my thigh fat change today. Instead of being one solid mass that I can't really pinch at all, the thick fat part lifts a bit away from my leg. I know I"m not describing it well, but it's a definite change, and combined with last week's weight loss, I"m taking it as a positive sign of things to come! This is the same feeling my face & arm fat & (I think) belly fat had before all but disappearing.

ETA I just saw someone on the CT4 blog post describe the feeling this way: "I notice my excess fat that I do have feels like it’s becoming detached from the bone? It feels ‘softer’ and I liken it to when you slow cook some kind of prime rib—’falls off the bone’. "

Yes, I think that's the same thing!
                                Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-05-2012, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X