No announcement yet.

Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, so for now, I think I'm leptin sensitive, just lacking in the restedness/energy fronts b/c of hormonal stuff. Still, I"m not ready to lose the 50g BAB, but I expect it will continue decreasing as it has been rapidly over th elast few weeks.

Can I get a little weight loss to go with that natural calorie drop, huh?

BBT - thermometer's batteries are dead
    144. Again with the whattheheck??
    126 days binge-free! I do think this is probably the longest I've gone without a binge in the last 15 years, and certainly the longest I've ever gone in my life without sweets.

Leptin Resistance goals:
    - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein yes
    - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising no, too tired to move off the couch for an hour or so.
    - 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunch yes, no lunch
    - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner yes, no lunch
    - finished dinner by 7:30? no! 9?
    - no snacking depends on what you call my "dinner"
    - 3.5+ hrs between dinner & bedtime no, ~2
    - exposure to morning temp & sun no, too tired to bother with cold outdoors.
    - darkening the house at sunset yes (as usual, f.lux-y computer & low house lights)
    - 100% primal diet yes, I think so
    - <50g carb per day, GAPS (no grains, sugar, legumes, lactose, or starches) yes
    - no PUFA's other than fCLO yes, I think so

Morning
    D (5000IU) - forgot
    HCl - 3 bkfst; 2 dinner
    Dig Enz - Considering another brand and/or ox bile and/or bile salts
    Organs, broth, ferments: liver, kidney, broth, SKJ, 1 thyrogold; whole seafoods, sweetbreads!
    CO - 3T (GI midday)

Midday
    Mg (700mg) -
    Selenium (200mg) - yes
    Vit C (to BT till I know how much it takes on a normal day, then switch to acerola to find the same thing) -
    ACV -
    OOO -
    Green tea -
    Salt and/or potassium - 1T in broth
    Seaweed - off till doing well on full GAPS (polysaccharides)
    No FODMAPs or nightshades? - yes, I think so
    Cold - 30-50m ice packs on belly

B - 1/2 brat, steak & kidney stew (couldn't measure protein gm), SKJ, 1oz rare pork lvr, 1/2 whole ylw sq, 3T CO, broth. Didn't feel like eating, and am quite full now.

D - chicken & veg first part; oysters, vin/trace shallots/lemon/ItalParsley, ceviche (some OJ, mostly lime & lemon), sweetbreads, trace ceviched sw tater

Results
    - energy 4/10, increased in afternoon
    - bloating = 3mo morning, 3+mo evening
    - skin = SUPER soft (except elbows slightly scratchy)
    - slept well from 12 - 5:45, then suddenly woke and dh & I were both unable to get back to sleep. ToddlerGrok kept waking every 5 min to cry for some reason, and finally I got up with her at 7, miserable and ticked off. Lounged on th ecouch trying to read Kruse till 8:15 when I finally willed myself to make some breakfast before falling asleep again. Wish I had just slept instead of eating. One thought - did we wake up b/c of too much protein compared to amount of fat in our dinner last night, sending b.g. up, then down, needing adrenaline to get it back up? Only thought I have ... 30m nap
    - voice still uncomfortably low for speaking, but much better for singing

GAPS day 26
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-01-2012, 08:25 AM.
    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• So tonight I brought Scottish shortbread for my grandfather's 80th birthday. Grandma offered to serve us lasagna. I said we would have time only for a short visit, but she really wanted to feed us, so I had to tell her I have wheat issues and please not to worry; I'm used to feeding myself, no problem!

But she really wanted to feed me, lol. I was surprised when I got there to find that she had baked a chicken breast and bought some fresh veggies for me to prepare how I wanted them. They had no real fats in thehouse, so I steamed them and tossed all with simple herbs. Made it through, but this meant eating at 5:30pm! And it made me *hungry*. I was hungrier than before I ate. No fat at all.

So we got home from picking up dd at 7, and dh & I were the only ones who hadn't eaten. Hit a wonderful Argentinian steakhouse, and had oysters (best I've ever had, and that's saying a lot, b/c I think they usually taste like ocean sewage. with enough lemon, vinegar, & parsley, I couldn't taste them at all, lol), sweetbreads, ceviche (the last two were GREAT mixed together), and that's it. Still I'm hungry at 11, need some fat, but oh well.

Clearly I had two dinners too close together and dinner is too close to bed, but I think it won't kill me, once in 6 months.

Best news: I went to a restaurant, and I don't think I'm more bloated than before I got there. I think I finally finagled my way through a menu without having any grains, dairy, fruit, nuts, FODMAPs, nightshades, or little green men. Yay!

Comment

• Leptin Sensitive?
        142! Again with the whattheheck??
        127 days binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
        - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising no, 50+?
        - finished dinner by 7:30? I think so
        - no snacking yes
        - 3.5+ hrs between dinner & bedtime probably
        - exposure to morning temp & sun 30m, 60 & mostly sunny
        - darkening the house at sunset at about 9:20, then distant TV with low lights on
        - 100% primal diet yes
        - no PUFA's other than fCLO yes

Morning
        D (5000IU) - 12,000 to make up (forgot until 30m after bkfst)
        HCl - 3 bkfst; 2 dinner (forgot till halfway through)
        CO - 3T, GI for the next few hours
        Organs, broth, ferments: thyrogold, liver, guts&goo, broth, SK; some broth, forgot ferment

Midday
        Mg (700mg) -
        Selenium (200mg) - 400
        Vit C (to BT till I know how much it takes on a normal day, then switch to acerola to find the same thing) -
        ACV - several TB komb vin in water
        OOO -
        Green tea - several C

No FODMAPs or nightshades? - yes
        Cold - wanted a bath tonight, but couldn't get it done wtih BabyGrok all over me

B - 5oz ground beef & steak, Bubbies SK, 1oz rare pork lvr, 1/2 whole ylw sq, some b-nut squash, 3T CO, broth. Not unpleasantly full

D -carnitas. Oh yum

Results
        - energy 5+/10, singing. Got sleepy around 9.
        - bloating = 3mo morning, 4+ after dinner, then back down some. Why after dinner? Delayed HCl?
        - skin = still soft, but upper arms bumpier
        - is some hair coming back on arms & upper legs? not sure
        - slept well from 11-7:50, then woke on my own. Sleepy, but definitely awake.
        - voice docile & clearer again
        - definitely feel like I have less belly fat. Ice packs doing it?

GAPS day 27
        Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-01-2012, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• Belly fat definitely seems to be reducing this week. Is it from the ice packs?

I feel like I'm seeing more eyelid in my line of vision, but that they look less puffy in the mirror. (I developed slightly droopy (fatty, I think) eyelids in the last few years. Not line a nerve thing, definitely fat.) Is the fat leaving & the skin just not retracted yet? Should I try ice on my eyes, lol?

Bloating is weird this morning. When I let it out, I feel so distended, and it's hard to breathe, like it's pressing on my lungs. But it doesn't look all that bad, and most of it looks like it's in the lower belly, not up where the lungs are. . But when I press on it, it's really really sore just barely to the right (my right) of middle, up high.

Comment

• Leptin Sensitive?
            128 days binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
            - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising no, 2hrs. Had to finish prepping the house for the cleaning lady
            - no snacking yes
            - 3.5+ hrs between dinner & bedtime yes
            - exposure to morning temp & sun no, overcast & warm & busy
            - darkening the house at sunset yes, had a thought about how to do it better with big candles on the table.
            - 100% primal diet yes

Morning
            D (5000IU) - 16,000IU got distracted while dropping drops, lol
            HCl - 3 bkfst; 2 dinner
            CO - ~<3T
            Organs, broth, ferments: thyrogold, roe, ferm pickle; pickle, some broth

Midday
            Mg (700mg) - 1t morning (my eye twitched all morning and was worrying me)
            Selenium (200mg) - yes
            B complex - yes, TJ's time-released
            ACV -
            OOO -
            Green tea - several C
            Salt and/or potassium - 1t or so. Rapid heartbeat on rising, so may need more than usual

No FODMAPs or nightshades? - had some garlic in pickles before realizing it was there
            Cold - no.

B - 6oz salmon, Bubbies pickle relish, 1T roe, forgot about carbs, 3T CO. Slightly concerned I"ll get hungry.

D -rare tuna steak, greens in bacon grease, half jar of Bubbies relish (oops). Really tasty. But dang, realized it had garlic in it. Bloated now.

Results
            - energy 5/10, then way down as sleepiness hit me hard late afternoon
            - bloating = >3mo morning, feels uncomfortable. Less late afternoon, 4?mo after dinner
            - skin = still soft, but upper arms bumpier & elbows scratchier. Why?
            - slept hard from 11:15-7:30 alarm, except for weird wakening (no apparent cause) in the middle of the night and 40-50m awake after that. Woke two other times after really, really weird and detailed and realistic dreams. Each time, I suddenly had an intense feeling that told me I was about to fall asleep in the next 30s, and each time, I did. Total ~7.5hrs sleep, woke very sleepy. Very, very sleepy around 7-8pm.
            - voice same as yesterday
            - looks like thigh & calf & glut measurements will be down tomorrow. Later in day, seems even better.
            - BabyGrok has been cranky and easily set off ever since lasagna two nights ago.
            -

GAPS day 28
            Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-02-2012, 09:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
              Leptin Sensitive?
              142! Again with the whattheheck??
              127 days binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
              - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising no, 50+?
              - no snacking yes
              - 3.5+ hrs between dinner & bedtime probably
              - exposure to morning temp & sun 30m, 60 & mostly sunny
              - darkening the house at sunset at about 9:20, then distant TV with low lights on
              - 100% primal diet yes

Morning
              D (5000IU) - 12,000 to make up (forgot until 30m after bkfst)
              HCl - 3 bkfst; 2 dinner (forgot till halfway through)
              CO - 3T, GI for the next few hours
              Organs, broth, ferments: thyrogold, liver, guts&goo, broth, SK; some broth, forgot ferment

Midday
              Mg (700mg) -
              Selenium (200mg) - 400
              ACV - several TB komb vin in water
              OOO -
              Green tea - several C

No FODMAPs or nightshades? - yes
              Cold - wanted a bath tonight, but couldn't get it done wtih BabyGrok all over me

B - 5oz ground beef & steak, Bubbies SK, 1oz rare pork lvr, 1/2 whole ylw sq, some b-nut squash, 3T CO, broth. Not unpleasantly full

D -carnitas. Oh yum

Results
              - energy 5+/10, singing. Got sleepy around 9.
              - bloating = 3mo morning, 4+ after dinner, then back down some. Why after dinner? Delayed HCl?
              - skin = still soft, but upper arms bumpier
              - is some hair coming back on arms & upper legs? not sure
              - slept well from 11-7:50, then woke on my own. Sleepy, but definitely awake.
              - voice docile & clearer again
              - definitely feel like I have less belly fat. Ice packs doing it?

GAPS day 27
              Send me your address, I am going to send you some batteries for that thermometer. haha

What do mean by this - "CO - 3T, GI for the next few hours"?

I see that you took in 6 Tbsp of CO.... that is awesome!

I have noticed that since I have brought fats into my diet (Jan. 16th) that I have to wash my hair daily again. I had worked hard on being able to go 2-3 days w/o washing but now it feels grungy the next day. Have you experienced this?

Have a happy day!
              Amie Sue...

Comment

• I have batteries in my amazon cart, lol. Thank you for the kind offer!

"GI" is my code for havign the runs, lol. I just had 3T total of CO. Just listed it under individual meals & also under supplement goals.

I haven't washed my hair regularly in about 4.5 years, but I do notice patterns. I rinse with water once/wk, and there are definitely some things that make the sebum production more intense than others. Sometimes it gets to the point I need to use ACV & BS to "wash" my hair, and that seems to have become more frequent in the last few months. I haven't noticed a correlation with fat intake for me, but it could be all manner of things!

Comment

• Oh...I read your CO consumption wrong. Well 3 Tbsp isn't anything to sneeze at either. hehe I am about up to that. Thank you for being persistant in helping me to see that the HCI was causing much of my stomach issues. I haven't been taking them now for almost a week and the nausea has tapper way down. I still get slight cases of it off and on but not everyday now.

When we get nausea from foods or supplements, do you think that only occurs while it is still sitting in the stomach or do you think nausea cn still hit when things further move into the intestines? As I mentioned before the nausea usually hits 4-5 hours after food or supplements.... so I am pretty sure things have long been passed through my stomach. So my thought is... if I can get these symptoms still once "it" hits my small intestine, would that be yet another indicator of issues pointing to the SI? Bear wit me, I am thinking about this as I type. haha

I believe that my "gut issues" stem from my SI. I had a colonoscopy, endoscope and barium test last Oct. Some small issues showed up but not the biggies that I expected. As I am sure you are aware of, none of those tests get into the SI so that is really the only unexplored areas right now with me. I am thinking of swallowing a pill cam so we can look in there and identify exactly what is going on. Me playing "guess the issue" isn't working so well. Even just ruling things out can be just as good as identifying what is going on.

Testing, I know is most likely the best thing to do.... I suspect that I have leaky gut, but no labs to prove. I suspect that I have liver issues, but no labs to prove. I suspect that I am leptin resistant, but no labs to prove. And so forth. I am tired of wasting money and more so, time, in treating things that I can only suspect. Time for some testing again.

Do you have any recommendations on what labs to ask for? I have hypothyroid and unbalanced hormones too. I have asked in the LR thread for some help on this several times, but no one addresses it. Maybe it's not proper for me to ask.

Anyway, I am now rambling!
                  Amie Sue...

Comment

• My nausea & pain came 4-5hrs after the HCl, ,too. My guess is that the discomfort happens in the stomach *after* the food is gone and the HCl is sitting around in excess with nothing left to go to work on.

I do think my issues may be SI related, too, though. Like you, I don't know how to find out. I'm thinking of a SIBO breath test. A pill cam would be fascinating!

Almost all the issues I suspected turned out to be wrong, lol. I thought I had bad candida, excess pathogenic bacteria, etc. . I never suspected fat malabsorption or severe leaky gut (I have no allergies, after all) or borderline autoimmune disease. The testing was very enlightening.

Because of that, I'd recommend every lab you can get. Check out what I ordered - it was pricy, no doubt, but then again, I spent literally nothing else on my medical care in the last year (other than obscene insurance premiums for a supposedly high-deductible plan). My labs are back in this thread, mid- to late-January (I can't remember exactly what the date was). They really were invaluable, but OTOH, my approach is mainly the same no matter what I saw: Leptin reset + CT. Now, there are some things, like I'm looking into glutathione IV & NAC supplement, and I'm not going to worry too much about kyolic garlic (for candida) & avoiding chicory (to avoid feeding bad bacteria), etc.

I don't think your question is inappropriate at all; there's just so much stuff flying by and many times, when a question takes a lot of time to think about and answer, I notice they fly by unanswered. It's too bad, but it does happen a lot to a lot of people.

Comment

My nausea & pain came 4-5hrs after the HCl, ,too. My guess is that the discomfort happens in the stomach *after* the food is gone and the HCl is sitting around in excess with nothing left to go to work on.

I do think my issues may be SI related, too, though. Like you, I don't know how to find out. I'm thinking of a SIBO breath test. A pill cam would be fascinating!

Almost all the issues I suspected turned out to be wrong, lol. I thought I had bad candida, excess pathogenic bacteria, etc. . I never suspected fat malabsorption or severe leaky gut (I have no allergies, after all) or borderline autoimmune disease. The testing was very enlightening.

Because of that, I'd recommend every lab you can get. Check out what I ordered - it was pricy, no doubt, but then again, I spent literally nothing else on my medical care in the last year (other than obscene insurance premiums for a supposedly high-deductible plan). My labs are back in this thread, mid- to late-January (I can't remember exactly what the date was). They really were invaluable, but OTOH, my approach is mainly the same no matter what I saw: Leptin reset + CT. Now, there are some things, like I'm looking into glutathione IV & NAC supplement, and I'm not going to worry too much about kyolic garlic (for candida) & avoiding chicory (to avoid feeding bad bacteria), etc.

I don't think your question is inappropriate at all; there's just so much stuff flying by and many times, when a question takes a lot of time to think about and answer, I notice they fly by unanswered. It's too bad, but it does happen a lot to a lot of people.

I will dig back through your journal. My husband and I pulled up an on-line site that listed out lab tests and we were both flabbergasted. lol It sent my head-a-spinning. I am feeling so overwhelmed these days. I have been fighting my health for so many years and started to get excited that I might be on the right path with LR... then came CT, and now all the new stuff that Dr. K is releasing is crushing me. I try reading his blog posts but I truly can't make heads or tails of it. I am a type "A" personality. I just need a simple outline of what he is saying that we ought to be doing... like the LR post. haha I know he wants us to meet him at his level of intelligence, but I don't have the mind for all that. I know I am not alone and I hope it doesn't cause me/others to start doing the wrong things. I am clinging close to the LR thread here, hoping to learn by reading the questions others are asking and what is being answered back. Anyway, I didn't mean to rant. I just hunger optimal health (as we all do) and I so want to understand it all that it just frustrates me.

Do you have a doctor that follows close with you? I have looked into the SIBO breath test too. Looks interesting. The pill cam is expensive, no doubt about it... but I think it would be so worth it. Regardless if anything is or isn't found. It might stop some worrying which only raises my cortisol...etc.
                      Amie Sue...

Comment

• A few of us are interested in mainstream-izing Dr. Kruse's info. It's just a matter of having the time and doing it between bouts of brain fog, lol. Did you see his latest post? He's making an interesting change there in his style!

I do not yet have a doctor I"m working with, but I do plan to try to find one.

There have been times (esp. the two episodes of black, tarry stool), where I worried that I might have some kind of small intestinal tumor. I still worry about that from time to time. That's why I went to a mainstream PCP last year, but he didn't seem to have any concerns about it. So I'll keep on truckin'.

Comment

• Leptin Sensitive?
                          129 days binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
                          - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising no, 1.5hr. Was miserably sleepy and headache-y this morning. Getting on top of this TOMORROW.
                          - finished dinner by 7:30? 7?
                          - no snacking Had CO an hour after bkfst b/c I realized I had forgotten it
                          - 3.5+ hrs between dinner & bedtime yes, 6
                          - exposure to morning temp & sun no, too sleepy & grumpy to deal with it
                          - darkening the house at sunset yes
                          - 100% primal diet may have been sugar in bacon
                          - <50g carb per day, GAPS (no grains, sugar, legumes, lactose, or starches) sugar in bacon?
                          - no PUFA's other than fCLO unless some was in carnitas

Morning
                          D (5000IU) - 6,000IU
                          HCl - 3 bkfst, 2 dinner
                          CO - 3T
                          Organs, broth, ferments: thyrogold, liver, SK; SK

Midday
                          Mg (700mg) -
                          Selenium (200mg) - 400
                          B complex - yes
                          ACV -
                          OOO -
                          Green tea - 2C?
                          Salt and/or potassium - just really salty meat

No FODMAPs or nightshades? - yes, unless there was some salsa in dinner carnitas
                          Cold - no, other than standing outside for an hour at 40 degrees in 1 layer and not being cold

B - 5?oz carnitas & bacon (probably had sugar), Bubbies SK, 1.5?oz raw pork liver, forgot about carbs, 3T CO.

D - ground beef w/ cumin & coriander & cinnamon, Bubbies SK, greens. 30m later, a bunch of carnitas from Taqueria del Sol. tasted *slightly* sweet.

Results
                          - energy 4-5/10
                          - bloating = ~2mo morning, 3+ after dinner
                          - skin = same as yesterday, but more positive sensitivity to touch.
                          - slept hard from 1am-8am, but interrupted many times by weather alarm. Very DREADFUL on waking. Big headache. Need nap at 11am.
                          - voice still improved
                          - Thigh & glut measurements went significantly down from yesterday morning to last night, and then again from last night to this morning. Amazing. Into some size 7 jeans (no spandex in them, either ... of course, I can't sit down in them, lol) I haven't worn since 2004. Finally dropping weight again, very definitely in my belly, too. But the bloat stays...

GAPS day 29
                          Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-04-2012, 07:05 AM.

Comment

A few of us are interested in mainstream-izing Dr. Kruse's info. It's just a matter of having the time and doing it between bouts of brain fog, lol. Did you see his latest post? He's making an interesting change there in his style!

I do not yet have a doctor I"m working with, but I do plan to try to find one.

There have been times (esp. the two episodes of black, tarry stool), where I worried that I might have some kind of small intestinal tumor. I still worry about that from time to time. That's why I went to a mainstream PCP last year, but he didn't seem to have any concerns about it. So I'll keep on truckin'.
                            Mainstreaming his info would be a god-send! He has a brilliant mind but I fear to many people will miss out on his amazing discoveries when they (me) can't understand it. Just because someone has the knowledge, doesn't mean they can effectively share it. I do a small handful of others who "get" his every word... but with a stream of followers, it is so important that the "language" can reach them so we can understand what to do. I fear that I if I leave it up to my own interpretation that I will get off on the wrong path and when we testify to others that we are following Dr. K's protocol and not seeing results or worse yet, getting worse (due to our own misunderstandings of what we really should be doing) it weakens the ability to bring others on-board. I hope I am making sense. I don't know why I am rambling on about this so much. I guess I am so passionate about health and I just frustrates me to no end when I can't understand things. Give me the facts, in layman terms, give me a basic step-by-step protocol to follow and I will be hardcore in following it, increase my health and thus makes me a better evangelist to share and help others. :P

I haven't read the latest post.... I can't understand the last ones so every time I look at the new one, my eye glaze over. haha I will attempt to when my thoughts are a bit more clear.

I know how hard it is to find a good doctor who will take the time to listen and for them to be open minded. Anymore, a person needs a team of doctors because they are becoming more and more specialized in just certain areas. I think this great but this team then needs to be contact so they can look at your health as a whole, not in fragments. That is right where my frustration lays. The right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing. It's no wonder we all live in sickness and just accept it...well not all of us! I hope you find the right fit for you and I trust you will.

Are the black tarry stools consistent? New? Can you see a connection with food? Supplement change? I am sure I can't ask a question that you haven't already thought of, you are pretty on top of your game.

Off to do some house work....have a blessed day Mama.
                            Amie Sue...

Comment

• I totally get you. 100%. I am so very frustrated b/c I am used to being the kind of person who grasps something thoroughly and helps others understand, yet there are so many people onthe mega-thread asking questions that I can't even follow, b/c they have sucha much better understanding of it than I do. The brain fog is very humbling.

I only had the black stools twice, both after going through GAPS intro, IIRC. I think it was related to something dying off.

It's 11:30 in the morning and I need a NAP.

Comment

• Oh, yeah, I came here to post that I've had increased bruising this last week.

History: I never bruised easily. Never.

Then, around 13 years ago, I noticed I would bruise when I took kickboxing classes. But these were no-contact classes. it seemed to be just from jarring the air.

I've noticed in the last few years that every now and then, bruises will just appear, almost always on my upper legs. They are not "easy bruising from light bumps" - I am not bumping into anything. Also, I do not bleed easily. Never have, still don't. So the stuff I can find online about easy bruising is useless for what I'm seeing.

I have a guess that it is going along with detoxifying or something like that. Right now, I have about 10 of them between both legs. Small to med size and black.

Also, and this is good, since going off the FODMAPs, I don't seem to have the calf swelling anymore. ?

Comment

Working...
                                X