No announcement yet.

Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MamaGrok! Excellent progress! I was just reading through some of your journal and realized we have a fair bit in common. I am so encouraged by your progress! I am 35 and a homeschooling mom of an 8 yo, 4 yo and 3 month old. I started at 168 and just saw 162 today. I've been losing about .5 lb a week. I think that's ok with nursing and all....sometimes wish it could go a bit faster though. Thanks for your tips on my other thread about breakfast. DH & I are doing SimpleFit also. Although I just downloaded the PBF.... I think it will incorporate SimpleFit. DH & I are enjoying it so far. I'm on Level 2 also. Congrats again on your great progress!
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 155 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Comment

Cool! I feel okay this morning, but come tonight (24hrs after), I expect I'll be in a world of quad hurt. In a good way.

I've got pretty slow loss, too, although it's a lot faster if I leave out the weeks I didn't actually eat primally! There are too many of those.

You'll know I'm back doing school as often as I "should" when I stop putting Nope under Use Your Mind, hee hee...

I hope your day is great!
      5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
      Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
      Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
      Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
      ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

1. Eat lots of animals & plants. (No insects for me, thankyouverymuch!)
        Breakfast - 3 eggs in 1TB CO, 8+oz mostly soured raw milk

Lunch - lots of steak, green beans, too much PB & J (no sugar or bread), yogurt w/ banana

Dinner - Chicken tortilla soup, salad. DD made it, yummy! Shouldn'ta had the homemade tortilla strips (fried in the remains of our canola oil, ick!), but they were very good. Small slice watermelon.

2. Move around a lot at a slow pace.
        2 mi walk w/ bebe on back.

3. Lift heavy things.
        Regularly lifting 17lb infant and occasionally lifting 36lb 3yo during day.

4. Run really fast once in a while.
        Goal: 1x/wk

5. Get lots of sleep.
        ~8.5hrs, don't feel overtired any more.

6. Play.
        Nope

7. Get some sunlight every day.
        Goal: 15m peak sun
        Nope

8. Avoid trauma.
        Yep

9. Avoid poisonous things.
        No drugs, meds, or alcohol in my life.

10. Use your mind.
        Nope

Got some work to do on the non-food things! It felt good to stretch my legs after yesterday's SF. I'm really surprised that my legs don't hurt today. Big difference from the last day 1 I did, which I didn't even complete!
        Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-10-2010, 06:08 PM.

Comment

A little gas last night. Weird. Can canola do that?

Lunch - ham steak, greek yogurt, dried pineapple (too much)

Snack - greek yogurt, emergen-C (hmm, bad sign, back off on the reds again! when I'm eating well I don't need snacks)

Dinner part 1 - PB&J in a bowl, small slice watermelon
          Dinner part 2 - liver & onions, small slice watermelon

No

3. Lift heavy things.
          L2D2 SF: about 5 min

5. Get lots of sleep.
          lay awake until close to midnight, got about 7.5hr, feel well rested. Amazing! Have I really gotten down to 7.5hrs??? Just a few months ago I felt like death if I didn't get 9!

6. Play.
          Yes! Played for at least 4 min, lol, on a really cool jungle gym made out of steel cables at the playground with kiddos. Then the heat did me in.

Got it!!

8. Avoid trauma.
          Ya

10. Use your mind.
          I watched The Sixth Sense for the first time; does that count?

The fruit monster is sneaking up on me!

I did different modified pullups today. We got a doorway pullup bar and my attempt at a pullup fromth e ground got me upabout 1/2" - I was really proud of myself, lol! I could really feel it w/ even that! But I went on and did a different form - start on a stool, use my feet to propel me up to the top position, then lower down. So it was a combination of "jump up using a box" and "negative pullups." It was hard enough work - really hard! - that I counted each one as a full one, instead of 1:3, just like I'm counting my girl pushups as real ones fo rnow. I could only get one real pushup in b/c of soreness, presumably from the last bout of SF.
          Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-12-2010, 06:37 AM.

Comment

168. I feel sure I'll be down tomorrow if I can avoid the fruit monster today.

Lunch - Deli roast beef, mayo, horseradish rolled up. Salad. Yogurt + banana (overripe & about to be wasted).

Snack - 4 cloves raw garlic (feeling a sore throat!), pepper cheese. More pepper cheese. More pepper cheese. Didn't know it would be the Cheese Monster instead! Is it the milk sugars (lactose)??

Dinner - pernil al horno (amazing and amazingly simple Puerto Rican pork shoulder), organic edamame w/ Himalayan sea salt, salad

10min walk, then chased in by lightning. Hike up hill in the dark w/ babe onyour back and lightning on your tail; that's surely primal!

3. Lift heavy things.

Need to sprint tomorrow!

5. Get lots of sleep.
            about 8 hrs, still feel sleep, but I don't think I went right to sleep and had some very tiring dreams.

6. Play.
            No

I think so - at least 10m. So tired of 95 degrees every single day for weeks!

8. Avoid trauma.
            Yes

10. Use your mind.
            No

Son had a sore throat yesterday, gone by night. I had one last night and took some garlic, but suspect it would be gone by tomorrow morning, anyway. It's so amazing how quickly things get gone in us now. The kids get a cold about once a year and maybe one other thing each, a stomach bug or sore throat or something else fairly mild. We're just WAY healthier than those around us, no comparison, and for that, I'm very, very thankful. If they ate the way I ate in college, we'd all be ruined!

They used to get colds more often, and all our colds used to last a full week. We rarely feel less than 100% for more than 3 days now, and rarely more than once or twice a year. I know people who eat this way who haven't been sick in ten years - can't wait to say that! It's the real validation of this WOE, isn't it?
            Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-13-2010, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Hi, I just wanted to jump in and say "Hi"... I'm also a homeschooling mom (to two, 8 and 4) in SE PA. I've been loitering around here for about six months, and finally took the plunge, registered, and started posting.
              Down almost 40 lbs. 70 to go.

Comment

I never get sick either, nor do my girls. So awesome to have a bitchin' primal immune system!

Comment

Hi, Diktynna! (Okay, I had to look like five times to make sure I spelled that right!) I think there are a number of homeschooling mamas here (haven't seen but one hs'ing guy yet, but I don't think it's quite as much of their identity, either, since most often they're not the ones doing it as a full time job!). Welcome! I registered in Feb, but didn't really jump into the forum until recently. So much to learn ...

Healthy rules. My sister & mother lost a lot of weight and look pretty nice, but are definitely high body fat still, skinny-fat. And oh my gosh, sick all the time. 2 or 3 autoimmune diseases between them, ER trips all the time between them and husbands, just sickly. It makes me so, so sad. I really, truly want to lose a lot of weight primarily - honestly - primarily because people won't take my way of eating and living seriously until they see results exteriorly. And I love them too much to let my fat get in the way of their health.

Comment

Mmm, rough morning, numbers-wise. I went to bed feeling thinner, except for my gut seemed a little poofier.

Could cheese make you bloated?

I have never thought I had a dairy problem, but I'm certainly keeping my mind open to it. This morning I took my measurements. Nothing went down - this is the first week I've eaten well (= no sugar or grains) and NOT dropped something somewhere. And several measurements went UP!!

+1/2" on hips
                    +3/4" on tip-top of thigh
                    +1/16" on calf (yes, I can tell the difference )
                    +1/16" on forearm
                    Most disturbing - +1/8" on my wrist. That's a really significant difference, when my wrist has done nothing but shrink 1/16" at a time this whole 6 months.

My wrist swelling seems like it means retained water, not as in tummy bloating, but as in the edema I get during pg if I don't put my feet up enough. What's going on?

Could the other increases be muscle? Certainly not on my hips. And would it really get bigger before shrinking? not what I've heard before - they say you may gain weight, but your *shrinking* measurements will tell you if you're gaining muscle mass)

I'm certain this won't stick; I'm not worried that this is an indicator of a reversal of a downward trend; I'm just trying to figure out what I ate that's not working for me. I also feel over sleepy an dhave felt like I was in a fatigue grip all week. I don't want to do anything other than sit. Even more so than usual.

Comment

When I started doing simplefit my pants were a bit tighter and my weight and measurments didn't budge, sometimes went up. From times past when I started weight lifting my fat didn't burn off right away. We've been doing simple fit for just over 4 weeks and I am just now seeing some changes.

As for tummy issues, canola oil does not sit well with me. Too much dairy leaves me feeling a bit bloated too.
                      I have been fighting something too all week, on top of a baby waking up in the night all week. I ended up taking a nap after supper yesterday. I had nothing left to give. So exhausted.
                      Rest is a part of being primal also. You will see results. They will come. You're doing great.
                      Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
                      Current: 155 - size 10/12
                      Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Comment

170. No net loss for this week, I suppose!

Lunch - PB&J (no sugar, no bread), deli roast beef w/ mayo & horseradish, salad, yogurt w/ em-C

Dinner - Sirloin steak, eggplant & cooked greens, salad, small serving potatoes pan-fried in pernil fat, sm slice watermelon

3. Lift heavy things.

5. Get lots of sleep.
                        8+hrs, still feel groggy. Hmm.

6. Play.
                        no

no

8. Avoid trauma.
                        ya

ya

10. Use your mind.
                        only in trying to figure out why I'm so fatigued this week
                        Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-13-2010, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Momto3.

Comment

I get the bloats with cheese and sour cream. Pastured butter and ghee appear to be safe, thank heavens! But I don't think I could have the awesome results that I have had without ditching other dairy. And I used to eat dairy for every single meal, just about. Hard to fathom now.

Comment

Very interesting. I'm pretty much in denial about the possibility of needing to give up any sort of dairy. I have hopes that my milk & cheese sources are all A2 dairy, but they're nothing more than hopes. I plan on doing GAPS next month, which, if I understand correctly, starts with no dairy, and we'll see from there!

Breakfast - eggs & bacon, sip of OJ, slice of cheese (cheddar from Wal-Mart, ugh)

Lunch - leftover steak & roast beef, salad, greek yogurt w/ probably too much honey, 1 slice cheese
                              Feel very full.

Dinner - smoked spare ribs, okra & tomatoes, salad, VERY BUTTERY mashed potatoes, ~cantaloupe, ~barbeque sauce (HFCS)

Walked up a hill; that's about it.

3. Lift heavy things.
                              Moved a cement block, whooptidoo!
                              SimpleFit L3D3 - beat it, yay! Pullups today were hanging from the walkway to the dock while waist deep in water - a great way to take enough weight off my arms to let me do real pullups. Wish I could do that every day!

Uhhh, for about 3 sec, twice, up stairs.

5. Get lots of sleep.
                              Not even 8hrs; even though I was groggy all day I couldn't fall asleep for a long time. Feel like death today.
                              1.5hr nap 11:30-1 Slept REALLY really deeply. Still groggy at 1:45.

6. Play.
                              swam for about 2 minutes.

Outside from 1 to 7, but sun didn't come out till 4

8. Avoid trauma.
                              yes

yes

10. Use your mind.
                              no

I suddenly felt awake at around 7. I think, b/c of a slight sore throat and slight slight congestion that I may be fighting something off without much in the way of symptoms except a call for rest. I've had this once before since getting off yuk food - I'd much rather be sick this way than all out!

I love doing SimpleFit with DaddyGrok - we can work together (and compete!) at different levels doing basically the same stuff. I'd be bored to death and could never do it w/o him, and it's manly exercise so he's more than happy to do it with me!

I can already see him getting bicepier, lol. He started on level 4 and is very, very lean, and already getting results, so I imagine I am, too, just under all the flab.
                              Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-14-2010, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                                Very interesting. I'm pretty much in denial about the possibility of needing to give up any sort of dairy. I have hopes that my milk & cheese sources are all A2 dairy, but they're nothing more than hopes. I plan on doing GAPS next month, which, if I understand correctly, starts with no dairy, and we'll see from there!

I love doing SimpleFit with DaddyGrok - we can work together (and compete!) at different levels doing basically the same stuff. I'd be bored to death and could never do it w/o him, and it's manly exercise so he's more than happy to do it with me!

I can already see him getting bicepier, lol. He started on level 4 and is very, very lean, and already getting results, so I imagine I am, too, just under all the flab.
                                I think traditional GAPS starts with no dairy (per Dr. McBride's book), but my daughter's doctor just gave me the overall list and told me to follow it. I had already read the book (because I had a feeling it was coming) and I asked about the dairy. She said we could take it out later if necessary, but go ahead and leave it in in the beginning since it was such a big change for her. I'm not sure, but we may take out the dairy still because her poop is still really weird. She used to be regular, 2-3 x a day. Now she usually has 1 big poop per day and sometimes goes a day in between. She has been on GAPS for 5 or 6 months I think. The reason she is on it is because she had a 4+ yeast reading on a stool sample (the highest) and lots of sleep problems. I have to say: her sleep problems are next to nil now! Amazing. She used to wake up 2-3 times a night, screaming. Her naps were so erratic. Now she sleeps straight from 8 p.m to 7:15-ish a.m. or even later. She almost always takes a 2+hour nap now. Before, it was such a struggle. And she had loose stools all the time. Now they're still soft, but not loose. I have to admit, we have let some non-GAPS stuff slip in, like prepared sausages, bacon, and very occasional bits of rice, which she loves. I also give her full fat Greek yogurt and the Trader Joe's European plain whole milk yogurt (no additives) instead of making it all the time. But if I have time to go pick up the raw milk, I make her yogurt, which is super simple. Oh, and she eats no-sugar grass fed organic hot dogs. All the meats, I try to make sure have no sugars in them, but if there's 1 gram, I let her have it. I know I'm supposed to be super strict, but it is really hard when I have no time. Since summer started, she has not wanted the homemade soup. This girl will only eat what she wants and only when she wants it. My husband was trying to get her to eat the chicken with the almond crackers and olive oil and she refused until she was ready. And even then, she wanted her "carrot circles" first. I also let her have her "extra special treat" (blueberries w/ whipping cream, honey, and almonds) and she thinks that is the greatest stuff ever. There's no grams of sugar in the cream, so I just let her have it, as it's technically not on the list.

GAPS is so hard. I was strict at first, but now am not so much. She is DEFINITELY gluten-free and only has grains when she has a bite or two of rice once in awhile or when we're at the market and they have samples of gluten-free crackers. She's doing better, so I hate telling her no about everything. I don't want her to have the same issues with food as me.

Good luck with GAPS if you do it. It's really hard. The bone broth is so important; I need to start consuming it again, but I barely have time to make it. I think the recipe in Nourishing Traditions for chicken stock/broth (whatever, I can't remember the difference) and fish stock are really good.

It's really awesome your husband works out with you. My husband has to be coerced to go with us to the park and Trader Joe's.

Comment

Working...
                                X