No announcement yet.

Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder d if protein were the issue and that's what sent me on the HCl track. No improvement since apparent maxing out of the HCl and backing down on it, though.

I'm going to have to start looking at every specific food, including types of meats and types of veggies, b/c even a plain "broth, meat, & veggie" GAPS intro style diet doesn't stop the bloating. The last time it stopped, I was eating quarts of 24hr fermented yogurt, so that apparently didn't bother me. But I wouldn't be surprised if other cheeses were part of the issue.

It's so hard to figure out - could be somecombination of things that is just crazy hard to pin down... Maybe I should eat nothing but beef & broth for a week, lol. (beef b/c nothing but chicken would makeme put my eye out!)
    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• It sure takes a while to figure it all out sometimes. I know lactose is a problem for me and I had been doing great (no tummy issues at all for 6 days), then I forgot my lactaid when I should have taken it, and even before I had my digestive explosion, I got really sad for no good reason and had a big cry and couldn't figure it out. Half an hour later, off goes the tummy. I really connected the emotional issues with the stomach problems, but in a way that the stomach problems caused the emotional issues (I really did unintentionally self inflict a tummy problem), not the emotions causing the tummy problems, which is always what you hear (IBS being basically a problem with dealing with your feelings).

Anyways, when you said about your issue, it made me think of my experience - sort of similar.
      Last edited by JKC; 09-27-2011, 01:25 PM.
      Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

• you know one other thing.... how much CO are you eating/day... I've had some wonky bm in the past 3 days... so I'm backing off the CO... to see if that's it.. maybe its the CO??? just one more thing to think about.... IDK
        The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
        What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
        SW 190lb
        Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
        25 Sep 2011 160lbs
        1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
        GW ~135lbs
        5'3"
        Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

• Just one tablespoon.

I really appreciate all the help brainstorming this ridiculousness!

Comment

• Week 3, Day 3
            BBT 96.5 (was low last night, too)
            31 days binge-free - still breakin' records!

Leptin Resistance goals:
            - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein yes, 65+g
            - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising yes, 9, but lasted a very long time since I had forgotten to thaw the sausage. 9ish to 10:30
            - 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunchyes
            - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner yes
            - 3.5+ hrs between Dinner and bedtime yes, 4
            - no snacking yes
            - darkening the house at sunset yes
            - exposure to morning sun yes
            - 100% primal diet yes
            - <50g carb per day yes
            - no PUFA's other than fCLO yes
            - teaspoon of coconut oil if I start fading

Mg (700mg) -
            D (5000IU) -
            HCl (5/day and working down) - 2 + 1 + 2
            OOO (4 drops) -
            ACV (1T) -
            Also: organ pills, broth, ferments: broth & kidney at D
            Dairy-free? yes
            Me & BabyGrok wheat-free days: 3

B - 4 eggs in 1T CO, 5+oz sausage
            L - none - breakfast was too late. Not hungry, either, till 6:30
            D - steak & kidney no-pie, carrots. very delicious.

Results
            - energy holding steady...
            - morning fasting b.g. = 93. I noticed that my hand wasn't shaky while pouring the bacon grease like it was when it was 63. So which is better?
            - must have fallen asleep in <10m b/c I didn't hear the dryer buzzer. SCORE! Slept soundly, but when alarmwent off 9hrs later, couldn't get out of bed, even though BabyGrok was sleeping, literally, on my head. Why so sleepy?

Went to bed looking 6mo pg, but wasn't irritable. Woke up looking 4mo, had lots of energy.
            Last edited by MamaGrok; 09-28-2011, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• You cosleep? that could be a reason for being so tired after a long sleep. I never slept as well when I coslept.
              Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

• Cosleeping is why (until this past year) I never missed a wink of sleep despite nursing through the night for 12 years! Fortunately, this baby has never wanted to nurse much at night, which is a very good thing - I can't sleep while she nurses. It's so bizarre - I easily slept while the others nursed. I think it makes sense for mama & baby to be able to sleep while nursing, and given my changing experience, I think that not being able to, at least for me, is a result of hormones going the wrong direction.

At any rate, yes, the last two weeks, the wonky sleep has been b/c she wants to nurse multiple times a night (very unusual for her) and it wakese me and takes me a few minutes to get back to sleep (very unusual for me). It's all very unusual, lol.

But since the reset, I've been sleeping more soundly at night, even in the lsat two weeks - it's only taken a few minutes to fall asleep instead of half an hour or more (a very weird pattern for me that came up in the last year). So long story short, I've been sleeping very soundly while actually asleep, she hasn't wanted to nurse at night in the last seeral days, and I'm still needing a ridiculous 9.5hrs to feel even somewhat rested (and nothing resembling "refreshed").

Comment

• I've found w/ds ...that when I started sleeping better his nightly nursing sessions started to decrease... now he's down to a midnight and 5am & 6am feeding... occasionally he' wake for a feeding btwn 2-3am.. hoping tonight is a good night b/c I forgot to send milk w/him to dcp I only sent food... he's nursed ever 30-40mins since he went down to sleep tonight...
                  The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
                  What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
                  SW 190lb
                  Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
                  25 Sep 2011 160lbs
                  1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
                  GW ~135lbs
                  5'3"
                  Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

• Looked 5-6mo pg last night, 4-5mo this morning, but belly felt better some how. I wish I could figure out why it all went away for a few days last January (I was still eating lots of yogurt then), why it was terrible when I was losing weight and at my lowest in February & March, why it's so bad again right now while I'm losing weight - except not, b/c I"ve been at 150 since last Friday, despite losing two lbs in two days for unknown reasons then, but it's probably the bloating weight!

I wish I knew what was in there! Water, gas, poo? (I'm not having regularity problems or gas, and not holding water elsewhere most days.)

But I'll focus on the good this morning - my pants felt much looser yesterday, and measurements are looking good mid-body. Very encouraging, even while my belly is just ridiculously over-huge for the rest of me. (I'm back to looking fat again, though - it's totally the difference between looking slim and getting tons of compliments vs. looking like a fat woman who has lost some of the weight. No compliments at all this week after 3 in 2 days last week.)

Comment

• Week 3, Day 4
                      BBT 96.7
                      32 days binge-free - still breakin' records!

Leptin Resistance goals:
                      - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein yes, 65+g
                      - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising close, 45m
                      - 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunch
                      - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner
                      - 3.5+ hrs between Dinner and bedtime
                      - no snacking
                      - darkening the house at sunset
                      - exposure to morning sun yes
                      - 100% primal diet
                      - <50g carb per day
                      - no PUFA's other than fCLO
                      - teaspoon of coconut oil if I start fading

Mg (700mg) -
                      D (5000IU) -
                      HCl (5/day and working down) - 2 +
                      OOO (4 drops) -
                      ACV (1T) -
                      Also: organ pills, broth, ferments:
                      Dairy-free?
                      Me & BabyGrok wheat-free days:

B - 4 eggs in 1T CO, 5+oz sausage
                      L -
                      D -

Results
                      - energy holding steady...
                      - woke after only 7.5hrs sleep. Gr. I know that won't be nearly enough and I'll be miserable from 11am till I go to bed tonight (no time for a nap).

Comment

• Let's see, how about the indiscretions, since they were far fewer than the places I adhered to my plan:

Friday: one smallish piece cookie cake. Realized I need to put cookie cake on my list of "makes me go bananas even when nothing else does" foods. But I didn't go bananas, not even close. I couldn't go without it, though. Another triumph: there was food all around, Cajun even, and I didn't feel I could eat any of it (looked like wheat wasin most, or gobs of rice), and I didn't care or feel deprived. crazy new feeling.

Saturday: camping w/ homeschool group. At potluck, there were some of my favorite homemade cookies and I couldn't resist - but only ate two very thin ones, and two ginger cookies that were very good and homemade. Also a piece of apple pie. Not a binge, probably around 100g carbs, but not a total success. Quality homemade choc chip cookies do me in, but store ones do absolutely nothing for me.

Sunday: still camping, sleep-deprived, and have that dried-out feeling that comes from eating bad oils. The pie? I thought it was homemade, but maybe not. Also very bloated. On the edge of craving a lot, ate corn chips, bit of taco shell, bit of rice, bit of beans at Mex restaurant ,but didn't go nuts.

Monday: Literally look 6-7 months pregnant and feel grotesque inthe belly. Dried out, still sleep-deprived, grumpy. For the first time, go off my timing a bit, also had 1.5 apple cider doughnuts, one small apple, 6 dried apple slcies, and 1 plus some cherry lara bar (was craving like crazy by time I got home). May sound crazy, but this is a victory, b/c normally apple picking sends me into crazy binge land, including, among many other indiscretions, 6 or 8 doughnuts all by myself and cupfuls of dried apples. The apples honestly didn't call me that mmuch, and it was mostly the memory of the doughnuts that called. They were good but I wouldn't be surprised if next year they don't call at all.

Really have to be careful this week, but it shouldn't be hard. Will tighten up my timing tomorrow and keep on the straight and narrow food path and by this weekend ,start a long three week trip out west including camping, rising & retiring with the sun, making most of our own food under the sun & stars, hiking, and wonderful family time with dear DaddyGrok & our five sweetiegroks.

Comment

• So I made it 32 days binge-free, and four weeks into the reset. But I'm sure I just lost ground again, and while I didn't *really* binge any particular day (most normal people could have eaten what I did on any one of thoe days), overall it's clear I wasn't thoroughly in control of my eating. So ... wonder which counters I should reset?

Comment

• EDIT:
                            Oh my gosh, I am so sorry for hijacking the thread. I thought I was posting in my journal window, but it was here instead! Haha, I was wondering where my post disappeared to...apologies ^^;

And for what it's worth, I think you should try the leptin reset again, this time for REAL. I see many of the days when you lapse and not get many parts of your bolded requirements done right. Just a thought.
                            Last edited by sakura_girl; 10-04-2011, 08:56 PM. Reason: I was being retarded.
                            My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

• Actually now that I've read some of the other Leptin Reset threads, seems like you have to strictly adhere to the program for the entire duration...otherwise you're not doing anything for your body? Just a thought. Don't want you to be so discouraged in seeing that everything doesn't work. I think it's just hard taking care of a baby, though. I wouldn't focus right now on losing weight or whatever, but just making sure that your family is well-taken care of
                              My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

• My impression is that small lapses = small setbacks; larger lapses = larger setbacks. Dr. Kruse says a dinner of carbs and dessert will probably set you back two weeks. I've seen that. In my first 8 week period, 3 desserts and a binge left me right about back at the beginning. At the same time, the next 8 weeks or so, I had only one dessert, I think, and got much better on my bkfst timing, and I definitely saw some of the signs of impending LS start to set in.

Yes, I need to get 100%, and yes, it's tough with a family, but I've had a baby in the house for the last 13 years and (the Lord willing) expect that not to change any time soon, so I've got to take care of my own health in the meantime. These last 4 months have me almost able to comply 100% on the food end, and the rest I plan to take care of on our upcoming trip - more on that soon! At the beginning of this, no way could I do 8 weeks 100%, and plugging on with the LR best I could all that time has me almost able to. Time well spent!

I'm not easily discouraged.

Comment

Working...
                                X