No announcement yet.

Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's the way it is for me - still occasionally having a good energy day but then having a few low energy ones after that. I feel like I am on my way there, and I have a number of issues identified, but I can't say I feel like I am "there" yet. And "there" keeps changing anyways. I couldn't tolerate any dairy to start with, and now I can have some. I am making progress, but I wish it was faster and easier to see exactly how to get down the path I want to go!
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

• Week 2, Day 1

21 days binge-free

Leptin Resistance goals:
      - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein yes, 65+g
      - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising yes, 8:45
      - 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunch
      - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner
      - 3.5+ hrs between Dinner and bedtime
      - no snacking
      - darkening the house at sunset
      - exposure to morning sun yes (but overcast)
      - 100% primal diet
      - <50g carb per day
      - no PUFA's other than fCLO
      - teaspoon of coconut oil if I start fading

Mg (700mg) - 350+ +
      D (5000IU) -
      HCl (6/day and working down) - 2 +
      OOO (4 drops) -
      ACV (1T) -
      Also: organ pills, broth, ferments:
      Dairy-free?
      Me & BabyGrok wheat-free days:0

B - 4 eggs in 1T CO, 5+oz beef sausage
      L -
      D -

Results
      - still gradually improving on energy. Got a lot of work done during spare time yesterday and today. LOVING it. This is very gradually, not the huge wide swing in energy I've had before. Maybe....?
      -

I have a parish picnic today to navigate. I don't think it should be too hard. Crossing my fingers...
      5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
      Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
      Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
      Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
      ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• I keep forgetting to finish filling these in.

Week 2, Day 3
        23 days binge-free - I think one more day will be a record, and since I don't see bingeing on a Tuesday (despite lots of sugar dreams last night), it looks hopeful, folks!

Leptin Resistance goals:
        - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising yes, 9:15?
        - 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunchyes, no lunch
        - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner yes, 10hrs between bkfst & dinner 7:15
        - 3.5+ hrs between Dinner and bedtimeyes, 4hrs
        - no snacking yes
        - darkening the house at sunsetyes
        - 100% primal dietyes
        - <50g carb per dayyes
        - no PUFA's other than fCLObit in the mayo in the slaw

Mg (700mg) - 350mg
        D (5000IU) - 8000IU
        HCl (6/day and working down) - 2(runs) + 1(runs)
        OOO (4 drops) -
        ACV (1T) -
        Also: organ pills, broth, ferments: bit of broth in gravy, bit of yogurt & raw ACV in slaw
        Dairy-free? no
        Me & BabyGrok wheat-free days:3

B - 4 eggs in 1T CO, 5+oz beef sausage, greens
        L - none, not hungry at all
        D - roast chicken w/ (no flour) pan gravy, turnip & jowl casserole (cheese), cole slaw (~maple syrup, ~mayo)

Results
        - still gradually improving on energy.
        - felt like going back and back to the slaw (b/c of the dressing), but cut it off pretty easily while still well within reason
        Last edited by MamaGrok; 09-21-2011, 07:07 AM.

Comment

• Week 2, Day 4
          <150!
          24 days binge-free - I think this is a RECORD!!

Leptin Resistance goals:
          - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising yes, 9:10
          - 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunchyes, 5hrs 2:10
          - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner yes, 5.5hrs 7:30
          - 3.5+ hrs between Dinner and bedtime3hrs, 10:30
          - no snacking yes
          - 100% primal dietyes
          - <50g carb per dayyes
          - no PUFA's other than fCLOyes

Mg (700mg) -
          D (5000IU) - 8000IU
          HCl (6/day and working down) - 1 + 1 + 2
          OOO (4 drops) - yes
          ACV (1T) - yes
          Dairy-free? butter
          Me & BabyGrok wheat-free days: 4

B - 4 eggs in 1T CO, 5.5oz beef sausage
          L - leftovers: bit o' goat leg, brussels sprouts, spinach, turnip cass (negligible cheese), ground beef w/ tomatoes, egg, sausage
          D - ribeye, buttered carrots, spinach & greens

Results
          - energy holding steady
          - broke 150 for the first time all summer (I guess it's fall today, huh?)
          - dropped 1/4 - 1/2" on my hips, "saddlebags," rear, and thigh - all since SATURDAY - just four days ago!
          - still able to return to sleep after being woken, although it was a little testy the last two nights, and took more than 5m to get to sleep.
          - fasting bg was 64 this morning. It was 80-90 this summer (after 6 wk weekend binge spree this spring), but 54 before that.
          - testing postprandial no-carb baseline this morning:
          fasting 64
          20m pp 70
          35m pp 80
          50m pp 79
          65m pp 67 !!
          - took a nap over TWO HOURS long this morning. By 10:30, felt like I was dead. Wow, that was some nap!
          - lunch blood glucose (tiny tiny bit of cheese, turnip, leafy greens)
          fasting 73
          15m pp 79
          45m pp 85
          - dinner blood glucose (copious butter, about one carrot, greens)
          60m pp 76 (I'm really bad about consistency!)
          120m pp 79
          Well, clearly butter doesn't spike me. YAY!!!! Greens and carrot, all good.

I'll test with some cheese next meal, some very fermented yogurt another meal, and some less fermented yogurt another meal. Some fruit another meal. I wanna see what's going on!
          Last edited by MamaGrok; 09-22-2011, 04:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mamagrok View Post
            week 2, day 4
            <150!
            24 days binge-free - i think this is a record!!

yay!
            Karin

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Comment

• I'll test with some veggies next meal, and then try some cheese another meal, some very fermented yogurt another meal, and some less fermented yogurt another meal. Some butter another meal, and some fruit another meal. I wanna see what's going on!
              That's a good idea, keep us posted.

24 days binge-free - I think this is a RECORD!!
              Depends on what you binge on ^_^.

Of course leptin resistance is a different animal.

I've had days where I stuff my face, other days where I fast to help my insulin resistance subside. When I binge, it's on bacon, lots of veggies, and protein (which also raises your sugar if you're eating too much from what my doctor said.) I lowered my protein intake on lazy days to about 100g and on active/workout days to 120/130g.

Of course, I'm just starting out, so I gotta listen to my body and see what happens.

Keep up the good work!
              Last edited by fpsjosh01; 09-21-2011, 08:13 AM.
              Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
              Follow me on google+
              Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
              "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Comment

• congrats on 24 days without binging! I think it is funny that you said that since it was Tuesday you were unlikely to binge!

Also congrats on dropping below 150.
                Chris
                "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• LOL, I tend to do weekends, demuralist! Nothing going on on a Tuesday.

fpsjosh01, I've never binged on anything but carbs. I could easily eat 12 servings of ice cream in a sitting (and have room for plenty more), could never ever eat 12 servings of beef in a serving (48oz).

Comment

• When I was on a bender, ready to binge, I could binge on anything, well anything ready made. I would not have picked up 12 servings of beef unless it was beef jerky, then yes I would have. Not sure why but ever since I went low carb I have not had a binge. I consider a binge eating even when my inner voice is saying you really should not be eating all of this and still looking for more. Just literally not being able to stop. Which is different than a cheat, which would only have been sweet homemade cakey type things, but not necessarily uncontrolled.
                    Chris
                    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Crazy result - the hair on my arm is back! Really weird, just about a month after I went primal (Mar 2010), I noticed that there didn't seem to be much hair on my arm. Now, I don't normally pay attention to my arm hair, so I wasn't sure, but it just didn't seem normal. I was slightly concerned; I think it can be thyroid-related? an dmy grandmother had no hair on her arms or legs, so wasn't sure what to think. And it was hard to tell - my hair is veyr, very blond, really hard to see.

I just noticed last week that it's all back!

I can't be sure when it came back, but I've noticed it several times since last week, and not before, so I'm thinking it must be recent. If so, it must be LR related - or HCl related? Anyway, now that it's back, I know it was very sparse back in 3/10, b/c there's no mistaking - I have a normal arm's worth of hair now. No way you could look at it and say, "is that too little?"

Comment

• demuralist - commercial beef jerky is sugary. Anything I binged on was sugary, even though I didn't know it, from yogurt to BBQ sauce.

Comment

• Week 2, Day 5
                          149!
                          25 days binge-free - still breakin' records!

Leptin Resistance goals:
                          - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein yes, 60g
                          - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising yes, 7:05
                          - 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunch yes, 1:15
                          - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner yes, 6:30
                          - 3.5+ hrs between Dinner and bedtime yes, 10
                          - no snacking yes
                          - darkening the house at sunsetnot really
                          - exposure to morning sun yes, overcast
                          - 100% primal dietyes
                          - <50g carb per dayyes

Mg (700mg) - 350 +
                          D (5000IU) -
                          HCl (6/day and working down) - 2 + (1 or 2?)(slight runs) + 2
                          OOO (4 drops) -
                          ACV (1T) -
                          Also: organ pills, broth, ferments: L & D broth
                          Dairy-free? no
                          Me & BabyGrok wheat-free days: 5

B - 2.5 eggs (ran out) in 1T CO, 5.5oz beef sausage
                          L - bite of steak, 2-3oz homemade yogurt cheese w/ bit o' honey, pot roast (carrots, 1/4 new potato), apple slice. (felt rapid pulse after the cheese, so took my b.g., but it was low)
                          D - primal polish sausage, ~2T salsa

Results
                          - energy holding steady
                          - hair is back on my arms
                          - sleep was weird last night. I kept waking, but then going to sleep again, dreamed I was sick all night, woke at 5:30!!! and couldn't get back to sleep.
                          - fasting bg was 73 (bkfst = eggs, CO, ssg, ~1oz cheese for experiment's sake)
                          15m pp 61!!
                          30m pp 62
                          60m pp 68
                          - Lunch fasting bf = 63
                          15m after soft cheese was 60
                          15m after finishing full meal (slice of apple) (40m after cheese) was 108
                          30m pp (55m after cheese) 90
                          45m pp (70m after cheese) 91
                          60m pp (85m after cheese) 91
                          1hr45m pp (2hr10m after cheese) 87
                          2hr30m pp (2hr55m after cheese) 84
                          Whoooaaa... isn't this informative? Over two hours later, still not back to baseline. Was it the 2-3oz soft cheese (slightly fermented) or the slice of apple (seems unlikely)?

- Dinner fasting b.g. = 74 (~2T salsa (no sugar))
                          45m pp 93
                          95m pp 108
                          2hr20m pp 92
                          3hr30m pp 102
                          What?!?! From SALSA?! What on earth is going on here? Did the cheese from lunch make me super reactive at dinner, or what?
                          Not to mention, my pulse was between 95 & 125 any time I was standing this evening and I'm terribly sleepy from only getting 7hrs last night. So it's hard to sort out what's from sleepiness, what's from ketosis orthostatic hypotension effects, and what's from the blood sugar, but I've felt crappy all night. Woozy, headachey, generally bad feelings all over my head.
                          - feeling ketotic again - orthostatic hypotension on rising and pulse was 120 while I was walking around cooking breakfast
                          Last edited by MamaGrok; 09-22-2011, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• So weird you said that! A year or so ago, My dd was complaining about how hairy her arms were and I was like no biggy look at mine, and there was none, completely bald! Didn't think much of it because like you said my grandmother didn't ahve hair on her legs or arms either. but I noticed last week that I have peach fuzz now and it seems to be getting longer.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• I lost nearly 1/2" on my thigh in six days. !!! There have been times the last two days when i could literally feel the fat burning in my mid-body. I've felt that before during my 12 months of sloooowwww primal fat loss, love that feeling! BBT was still up a degree today at 97.0.

[QUOTE=MamaGrok;576270]Week 2, Day 6
                              148!!!!
                              26 days binge-free - still breakin' records!

Leptin Resistance goals:
                              - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising no, 80m.
                              - 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunch no, <4.
                              - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner yes, 7hrs
                              - 3.5+ hrs between Dinner and bedtime yes, 3.5hrs
                              - no snacking felt a little snacky at 5, but no. - could it be from being off on bkfst & lunch timing?
                              - exposure to morning sunsome
                              - 100% primal dietyes
                              - <50g carb per dayyes

Mg (700mg) -
                              D (5000IU) - 10000+IU
                              HCl (6/day and working down) - 2 + 0 + 2
                              OOO (4 drops) -
                              ACV (1T) -
                              Dairy-free? no
                              Me & BabyGrok wheat-free days: 6

B - 4 eggs in 1+T CO, 5+oz sausage
                              L - summer sausage, polish sausage, slice of apple (feeling throat tighten as I write this despite no obvious negative reactions since then. just guilt?), bite of bell pepper
                              D - bite of sour cream (helping ds decide if he had seasoned it well), 3/4 slice of Munster cheese, 1/2C? salsa, ham steak, brussels sprouts in butter, salad

Results
                              - energy holding steady
                              - sleep was weird last night. I kept waking, but then going to sleep again, dreamed all night that people were noticing I was thinner, woke at 5:30 but THANKFULLY got back to sleep. Sleepy now at 5pm.
                              - fasting bg was 72
                              - Dinner
                              15m after eating slice of chs & bunch of salsa, b.g. was 108. Sobering.
                              30m after full dinner (2hrs after salsa/chs) b.g. was 88
                              - keto-breath today. Frustrating how often I go in and out of ketosis. Wonder what would happen if I stayed a while?
                              - In response to my dream?, several people *did* comment on me looking thinner today. First time in months.

The shorts I'm wearing today fit better than they did on Monday. 5 days ago I thought I might burst the seam at the thighs. No concern at all today. Gotta LOVE losing thigh fat that fast; it has NEVER happened like that before. Always slow, slow, slow.
                              Last edited by MamaGrok; 09-23-2011, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• Yay - it sounds like things are starting to kick into place!
                                Karin

Comment

Working...
                                X