No announcement yet.

Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds like you had a great day! Maybe the HCl is really making a difference for you? I only take 1 before certain meals (like steak), but I'm thinking maybe I should take 1 before every meal. If my acid is low, it is low every meal, right? I'm still waiting for that day when I get everything done on my list, hopefully tomorrow will help, my MIL is watching the munchkin so I can clean my house for a couple hours.

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
      strom, I know there are some nuances, where some people feel worse before they feel better, but I know absolutely nothing about it. I know it's been discussed on the gapshelp list. For our family, though, it's been pretty straightforward.

The good news of the day - I weeded and emptied out a cabinet and got 3 children schooled and two loads of laundry done and pottied the 18mo several times and the house is cleaner than it was when I woke up, even while spending two hours at swim team practice.

This. is. AMAZING. NOthing short of amazing. I never felt like I was bouncing or anything, but I made a list and I stuck to it and didn't feel like I was pulling a three ton wagon behind me at any point in time.

I'm just very, very grateful for this. Even in the midst of truly feeling like a lard (I'm back up two sizes in pants!!!!! GAHHHHH) there is healing, and so something good is going on even while I'm struggling elsewhere.

All in due time!
      Awesome! I love it when I have days like that. I am learning to appreciate it even when I have days that are maybe 60% like that. And I KWYM about dragging a wagon behind you.

Just in the last week or so I have decided that I am setting the bar too high - I get down on myself when my days are not super productive, which is most of the time, and that just makes things worse. I am starting to focus on celebrating what I have done. On facebook I announced that I am retiring my superwoman cape for good!
      Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Horsewoman View Post
        Yay for good days :-)

Hey and you may feel like a lard, but you're not hun. 150lbs is pretty slim really. 100lbs less than me.
        It's not the actual weight, but where it is - I've put on somewhere between 10-15lbs of nothing but fat (and water & gas) in the last month, and it's all in the middle (except for a bit in my face). So even my biggest pants are hardly buttoning and my belly is hanging over them. Yeah, it's very lardy. I have the constant feeling like something is pushing out from my belly. I totally remember this. It's the way I felt all the way up, even at 128 and 148 and 168, and I never felt it on the way down, even at 178. The difference between a shrinking and a contracting belly makes such a difference in how I feel, lard-wise!
        5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
        Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
        Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
        Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
        ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• ODM, if one helps, I'd try upping it to see if one per meal helps. My understanding is that, in general, you'll feel discomfort (or belching or something like that) if you get to "too much" and then you just back down till you're producing enough that your new low is also now "too much".

I'm totally not aiming for superwoman, love the analogy, lol - just functional. Just to where I can do my normal obligations and not feel like I'm having to force myself through every second of the day. And that happened yesterday!

Comment

• I read this list on fruitlover's blog about "What health means to me."

Waking up each morning alert and energetic
            Having the energy and desire to exercise, every single day
            Not needing coffee to function
            Not needing a nap in the afternoon
            Never feeling depressed or anxious for no reason
            Having the ability to concentrate and focus for long periods of time
            No wild blood sugar swings
            Not having uncontrollable cravings for unhealthy foods
            Having stable, poised emotions
            Very rarely catching colds and never the flu
            Sleeping deeply and restfully and waking up with the sun

Change "exercise" to "move around a lot" (or something like that that includes necessary chores, enjoyable walks, and playing) and really emphasize "needing" wrt naps, and that's a perfect description of what I'm seeking. My gosh, a year into my primal journey and these things are still elusive. I've had peeks into them, windows of them, but so fleeting... I think/hope/pray HCl &/or B12 are a big part of the answer for me. I know taht just eating purely primal alone has not done it. I can't even point to what I was doing differently when I had those windows, b/c each time I tried to replicate the results by doing just that again, it never worked.

REading the list almost made me weep. I want this so badly it hurts. I'm not asking for superathlete health & energy & fitness. I'm asking for functional health. And I feel ridiculous focusing so hard on it, b/c afterall, I can walk without pain, and I can do my daily tasks if I push myself every single second and restrain my moodiness every single second and ignore my sugar cravings every single second. But oh my gosh, it's so exhausting, and I do *not* think this is normal. I think that if we all ate what we were meant to eat from birth, and never encountered any of the now-prevalent environmental poisons, that we'd all have this whole list. I'm just seeking that.

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
              I read this list on fruitlover's blog about "What health means to me."

Waking up each morning alert and energetic
              Having the energy and desire to exercise, every single day
              Not needing coffee to function
              Not needing a nap in the afternoon
              Never feeling depressed or anxious for no reason
              Having the ability to concentrate and focus for long periods of time
              No wild blood sugar swings
              Not having uncontrollable cravings for unhealthy foods
              Having stable, poised emotions
              Very rarely catching colds and never the flu
              Sleeping deeply and restfully and waking up with the sun

Change "exercise" to "move around a lot" (or something like that that includes necessary chores, enjoyable walks, and playing) and really emphasize "needing" wrt naps, and that's a perfect description of what I'm seeking. My gosh, a year into my primal journey and these things are still elusive. I've had peeks into them, windows of them, but so fleeting... I think/hope/pray HCl &/or B12 are a big part of the answer for me. I know taht just eating purely primal alone has not done it. I can't even point to what I was doing differently when I had those windows, b/c each time I tried to replicate the results by doing just that again, it never worked.

REading the list almost made me weep. I want this so badly it hurts. I'm not asking for superathlete health & energy & fitness. I'm asking for functional health. And I feel ridiculous focusing so hard on it, b/c afterall, I can walk without pain, and I can do my daily tasks if I push myself every single second and restrain my moodiness every single second and ignore my sugar cravings every single second. But oh my gosh, it's so exhausting, and I do *not* think this is normal. I think that if we all ate what we were meant to eat from birth, and never encountered any of the now-prevalent environmental poisons, that we'd all have this whole list. I'm just seeking that.
              Big thumbs up from me. And you know I know where's you're coming from (((hugs)))
              Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
              Harold Whitman

Comment

• Are you eating any sweet potatoes? what exactly does your sugar cravings lead too? maybe its an endocrine issue?
                My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

• I haven't had sweet potatoes since starting GAPS 8 months ago, but they also lead to wanting more and more and more... and the sugar cravings lead to ... sugar! And then more sugar and more and more and more till I feel so wretched I never want to touch a biteo f it again, and I don't, for a few days...

I just remembered that this has been going on for over ten years now. Sheesh!

What do you mean by endocrine issues? I'm not familiar with that. Thanks for your thoughts!

Comment

• Like is your thyroid/parathyroid and adrenal hormones in check? I dunno if they check for pituitary gland, pineal or hypothalmus hormones too. What is your blood sugar levels? For entertainment purposes, if you like gory horror movies, there is a movie called From Beyond, by Stuart Gordon. The main character pineal gland gets super charged and pops out of his head, and he needs to eat brains than. :-)
                    My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

• Food
                      B - meant to IF, but found I had made 3 eggs in CO before I realized it, lol.

L - Lots of fatty lamb chops, bit of brussels sprouts, broth. Feeling starved 3 hrs later, though. ?

D - raw grassfed cumin seed gouda, 3 prunes, leg of lamb, salad, little new potatoes, 4 strawberries, broth

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
                      yes, yes

Move Slowly, Lift Heavy Things, Sprint
                      no, no, no

Sleep, Sun, Play, and Use Your Brain
                      <8hrs, overcast, no, no

Had a complete emotional blowup at 2:30, then started feeling hungry (actually hungry, in the tummy, not cravings) and sleepy and grumpy. :s Followed by noise sensitivity, dizziness, a strong but brief weak spell (legs), headache then gone. Hours later, headache, noise sensitivity, exhaustion back with some abdominal cramps. Weird.

9 HCl, 5000mcg B12, 6 000IU D, 1 rounded tsp Mg (Calm)
                      Last edited by MamaGrok; 05-17-2011, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by strom View Post
                        Like is your thyroid/parathyroid and adrenal hormones in check? I dunno if they check for pituitary gland, pineal or hypothalmus hormones too. What is your blood sugar levels? For entertainment purposes, if you like gory horror movies, there is a movie called From Beyond, by Stuart Gordon. The main character pineal gland gets super charged and pops out of his head, and he needs to eat brains than. :-)
                        Could be worth looking into leptin as well.
                        Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
                        Harold Whitman

Comment

• Took a detox bath last night; had a fairly decent day today, with some bouts of fatigue and some bouts of energy.

Food
                          B - 3 eggs in CO

L - 1/2 banana, liver liver liver, almost a stick of butter. !

D - pork chop (big fat one!), spring peas, sauted artichokes, sauerkraut

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
                          yes, yes

no, no, no

~8hrs, some, fun in pool, no

I need to get back to the endocrine & leptin comments above - soon!!

I dreamed about sweets last night. Grrr.

9 HCl, 5000mcg B12, 6 000IU D, <1 tsp Mg (Calm)
                          Last edited by MamaGrok; 05-19-2011, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• I was going to say four days binge-free, but I think eating a stick of butter may count as a binge, how about you?

Food
                            B - 3 eggs in CO

L - leftover liver, a whole tube of TJ's chevre w/ honey, some yogurt & about 4 raspberries, can't remember if anything else

D - leftover liver, slice of TJ's "lactose-free" (aged?) cheese, yogurt & about 4 raspberries, strawberry

I'm eating a lot this week, esp a lot of dairy, but it's better than sugar. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :P And anyway, I'm feeling smaller today for sure.

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
                            yes, yes

only at the grocery store, no, no

8hrs (still groggy), ~2hrs filtered through light trees, no, Latin

I had the most vivid horrid dream last night. There were stacks - literally stacks - of cookie cakes, mostly frosted. I was eating one shaped like a turkey and dying to get at the rest when I woke up. When I woke up, I had such a sense of guilt like I had actually eaten half a cookie cake, but simultaneously was totally craving them as if I had had none at all. See the cruel things my mind does to me? LOL. I usually get dessert dreams when I've been off sugar a long time and something has triggered me (like butternut squash or bananas) but I wonder if this could be more from withdrawal?

9 HCl, 10,000mcg B12, 8000IU D, 1 rounded tsp Mg

Comment

• I think dessert dreams are pretty normal, I know a lot of people on RR said they had them in the early days off sugar.

Harold Whitman

Comment

• Significantly less bloating this morning!!! It's been going down the last three days, and of course is still there, but I don't look 6 months pregnant today, maybe only 4, lol. And I finally caved in and weighed myself - I feel like I can now that there's a bit of progress.

152. I guessed as much - I'm pretty sure it was at least 155 at the beginning of the week. Yikes!

Comment

Working...
                                X