No announcement yet.

Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These are the ones I got. Some looked really not-at-all-common, but I was looking for some shoes that look like normal, everyday shoes.

Merrell Barefoot Pace Glove Acacia - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

There were several of the men's variety that looked like just everyday running shoes, too.
    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Whole40 Day 16: Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments (no dairy)

Food
      B - 2 scrambled eggs in CO.

L - 2 HCl. BIG can of salmon turned into salmon salad with whole avocado, baconnaise, fermented pickle relish. SK juice. 2 5000mcg B12 sublinguals.

"Snack," lol (I was starving) - 6 slices deli roast beef w/ baconnaise. 2C salsa (presumably raw?). THEN remembered 2 HCl.

D - fish stew w/ veggies. 1 HCl.

I don't think I had the tachycardia or dyspnea this morning. I am, however, MAJORLY bloated this evening. I think (and am hoping and praying, actually) it's b/c I forgot to take the HCl until AFTER I ate all that roast beef.

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
      yes, yes

Move Slowly, Lift Heavy Things, Sprint
      no, no, no

Sleep, Sun, Play, and Use Your Brain
      8 interrupted hours, good sun at the park w/ the homeschooling group, no, no.

5 HCl, 2 B12 today. Didn't notice any increase in energy.

Comment

• Whole40 Day 17: Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments (no dairy)

147.5 - hello, bloating! To be fair, it was gone by mid-morning. I won't forget my HCl before a meal again!

Food
        B - 3 eggs in CO, sausage. Ah, my real breakfast again!

L - chicken soup, sausage, whole avocado, a little salsa. Very little, b/c I ate most of it yesterday.

D - (no bean) chili w/ maters & peppers & broth. Bit o' chicken.

I was very stuffed after dinner, but not bloated. I'm sure I accidentally ate a bean or two, but don't know if that's why I felt so full.

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
        yes, yes

lots of walking the store helping a friend register for her baby shower!, babe on back the entire time, no.

8hrs I think, rainy, no, no.

6 HCl today, I think. 1 B12. I think I felt a little energy increase mid-afternoon (before the B12 dose). D.

Comment

• Whole40 Day 18: Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments (no dairy)

Food
          B - 2 HCl, 3 eggs in CO, sausage galore

L - 2 HCl, chicken soup, corned beef

D - 2 HCl, pork chop, brussels sprouts in CO

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
          yes, yes

No, no, no

almost 8 hrs, rainy all day, no, no

I was very sleepy today, but feeling energy underneath that in the afternoon. MAJOR bloating by bedtime, looked 5mo pg. Not grumpy or dejected, though, surprisingly. I'm sure it helps that I'm trying to accept my cross - heard a priest last week who said "smile when you're on the cross - that's when you're closest to Christ." But it's more than perspective; I really wasn't grumpy and felt good in my skin mostly other than the actual site of the belly, where it was really distended.

6 HCl, 1 B12, 6000IU D.
          Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-28-2011, 05:56 AM.

Comment

• Whole40 Day 19: Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments (no dairy)

Food
            B - 2 HCl, 3 eggs in CO

L - 2 HCl, chicken soup w/ carrots, roast beef, B12

S - chicken soup.

D - 3 HCl. chicken soup.

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
            yes, no - had an EKG. But I don't think that's radiation, so probably not too bad?

no no, no

6.5hrs + 1.5hr nap, overcast, no, no.

I feel absolutely dreary this afternoon, in desperate need of sleep and no time to get it. I need some bloodwork, so went to the doctor for the first time in 3 years. It started great. The nurse declared me 164lbs. I was like, um, I don't think so. She tried again and got 154. Sure, it's after lunch and I'm fully clothed, but that's at most 3lbs, and my scale at home is not 6lb off.

Nurse: Your BMI shows that, technically, you're slightly overweight.

Me: This time last year, I was obese, so I consider that an improvement.

Nurse: <agape> Diet, exercise?

Me: Diet. I stopped eating grains & sweets.

Nurse: <agape> No exercise?

Me: Not at all.

Well, at least that was worth the priceof admission. The doctor tried to persuade me that TSH is more predictive than freeT3/T4, anemia more than ferritin, and H1aC more than insulin, and I really don't know, but whatever, he ordered them, so yay.

6?HCl, 5000mcg B12.
            Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-29-2011, 08:48 AM.

Comment

• Hi MamaGrok! The nurse's agape expression is priceless! In my experience, Dr.'s scales are often off. They are used by lots of people and not re-calibrated frequently enough. Trust your own scale.

And yes, your progression over the past year is not just an "improvement," it's nothing short of amazing!

Is the doc checking on your morning palpitations?

So glad to know you are feeling so good in your own skin!
              50 yo single mom
              5'3"
              Primal since 12/1/2010. Now Whole30ing until I feel WHOLE again, my goals are no longer scale-related.

Aila's Primal Journey

"If I cling to circumstances, I could claim to be not responsible. Only she who says she did not choose is the loser in the end." Adrienne Rich

Comment

• The doctor also told me that exercise would cure my fatigue. Apparently he didn't listen when I told him that the fatigue is what made me stop exercising, that I have random windows without it where I can't stand sitting down and just want to go climb a mountain, that I've tried exercising during it but it doesn't help at all. He even tried to joke, telling me he'd rather see me spend $300 on good walking shoes than on the extra tests I wanted to order.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why I haven't been to the doctor in 3 years.

Aila, good to know about the scale. I had this crazy assumption that theirs are actually the most accurate. Silly me. There's no way I'm 154 and wearing SIZE EIGHT pants, crazy scale.

The palpitations went away after about three days. I was fairly sure it was ketoadapting again, and it probably was. I read about that in Taubes' book, that some people have low BP problems (and as a result, heart beats faster to get the blood everywhere it needs to go) when going into ketosis. I've had it happen twice now. This time it was after just a one day foray into cake and ice cream - I guess I have to re-adapt every time I go out of ketosis, even for just a meal? At any rate, the doc didn't seem concerned, but I think he was too busy thinking I was a nut, lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                  Not grumpy or dejected, though, surprisingly. I'm sure it helps that I'm trying to accept my cross - heard a priest last week who said "smile when you're on the cross - that's when you're closest to Christ."
                  I like that . Have you read Jennifer Rees Larcombe's books? They've really helped me with that side of things.

I popped over to ask a question actually, hope that's okay... am adding in some elements of GAPs and an adrenal fatigue protocol next week. Even more supplements lol. I'm wondering about GAPs advising against supplements- would it be wise to take a holiday from them do you think? I'm careful not to buy ones with anything significantly dodgy in them, I don't think a gelatine shell and a bit of magnesium stearate is much of an issue, but then I do take quite a lot every day. I'd rather just keep taking them if I can crack on with the adrenal fatigue plan straight away too.
                  Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
                  Harold Whitman

Comment

• I know she advises not taking supplements at first b/c of the need to keep ALL potential gut irritants away, and then slowly adding in the supps she suggests and only then adding in others as you find the need arises. It makes sense to me, but at the same time, I do remind myself occasionally that the diet was originally designed for those with extremely serious problems, like life-threatening Crohn's or autism that renders a child unable to talk to anyone or even look someone in the eye or leave the house. My understanding is that not doing it 100% will mean slower healing, but for someone like me whose problems are much more mild, that may be a trade-off I'm willing to make, and I've done that at times. For someone who's looking at 2-3 years on the diet, that may not be a reasonable trade-off.

So I don't have an answer, lol, just the things that go through my mind when I'm making the decision. I'm now taking B12 with lactose in it, but I'm at the end of the six months trial I wanted to have and really want to get to the bottom of this fatigue thing.

I'll definitely look into that author! The one article I found by her on a quick google has her sounding very much like Mother Theresa, John Paul II, and my other heroes who oppose the "blame the suffererer's faith" health & wealth Gospel and believe in the redemptive power of suffering instead.

Comment

I know she advises not taking supplements at first b/c of the need to keep ALL potential gut irritants away, and then slowly adding in the supps she suggests and only then adding in others as you find the need arises. It makes sense to me, but at the same time, I do remind myself occasionally that the diet was originally designed for those with extremely serious problems, like life-threatening Crohn's or autism that renders a child unable to talk to anyone or even look someone in the eye or leave the house. My understanding is that not doing it 100% will mean slower healing, but for someone like me whose problems are much more mild, that may be a trade-off I'm willing to make, and I've done that at times. For someone who's looking at 2-3 years on the diet, that may not be a reasonable trade-off.

So I don't have an answer, lol, just the things that go through my mind when I'm making the decision. I'm now taking B12 with lactose in it, but I'm at the end of the six months trial I wanted to have and really want to get to the bottom of this fatigue thing.

I'll definitely look into that author! The one article I found by her on a quick google has her sounding very much like Mother Theresa, John Paul II, and my other heroes who oppose the "blame the suffererer's faith" health & wealth Gospel and believe in the redemptive power of suffering instead.
                      Yes . I'd very much recommend Journey into God's Heart which is the most recent version of her life story, I've also found Where have you gone God, and Turning Point very helpful.

What you said about supplements is along the same lines as I'd been thinking. I don't think I have serious gut issues, and I want to stick pretty much with the diet long term anyway for the other health benefits. I might just keep the supplements in for now and see how I go. I don't really want to put the adrenal healing ones on hold at the moment.
                      Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
                      Harold Whitman

Comment

• "Suffererer's". lol, I'm a typing dolt.

Comment

• Whole40 Day 20: Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments (no dairy)

Food
                          B - 3 HCl, 3 eggs in CO

L - 2 HCl, roast beef, wee bit of leftover brussels sprouts ( in butter) + pork chop + sauerkraut + fruit/yog smoothie)

D - 3 HCl, Jamaican goat curry (OMGosh amazing!!!), steamed broccoli w/ loads of evoo/s/p, bit of roast duck

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
                          yes, yes

some, no, no

9.5hrs, overcast, no, no.

I had a bit of yogurt & trace amounts of dairy today. Minutes after having what couldn't have been more than 1/4C of fruit/egg/CO/yogurt smoothie, my head was spinning. Craziness.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled whole30. I just needed some fat soluble vites.

I have no idea where today's 2lb loss came from. Less bloating, but still there, for sure. Wherever it came from, I'll take it!
                          8 HCl, no B12, 6000IU D
                          Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-29-2011, 06:34 PM.

Comment

[COLOR="darkorchid"]
                            Well, at least that was worth the priceof admission. The doctor tried to persuade me that TSH is more predictive than freeT3/T4, anemia more than ferritin, and H1aC more than insulin, and I really don't know, but whatever, he ordered them, so yay.
                            I wonder sometimes if they EVER calibrate the sales at the doc's especially considering how many people step on them every day.

And did your doc give any reason for the TSH being more predictive than free T3/T4? My guess is that's what he was told once years ago and he's sticking with it. :/ But good on the tests...

Oh, and I notice my weight loss comes in chunks. I read something that said that you can lose fat, but the fat cells will hold onto water for a while until it's ready and then dump the water-- accounts for some plateus and sudden losses. Just a thought... and a reminder that our bodies work in mysterious ways sometimes!
                            Last edited by Minxxa; 03-29-2011, 11:11 AM.
                            sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

• Well, that's certainly interesting; I'll hold on to that thought!

He explained something about the thyroid tests, and I think he said the free T3 was the older test and the TSH was newer and more sensitive and would show problems before you got to the point that the free T3 did, but honestly, I know nothing about the tests, just that for years, nutritionally knowledgeable people have said that the standard thyroid tests don't show anything and you have to have certain other ones done, and that folks here recommend the free T3/T4, so I paid for 'em, lol. What he was saying was backwards on all points from what I've heard from sources I consider reliable, so I just ignored him - something very hard for me to do, but after having docs 100% wrong about even their specialties every time I've ever needed their expertise, I guess I'm finally learning!

Seriously - some time I should list out all the specialists who couldn't figure out what was wrong with some member of my household,an dI figured it out myself. First example - I ended up at a hospital overnight for a sleep study and having a neurologist prescribe Cylert (stronger than RItalin) for idiopathic narcolpesy, when all I needed to do was get 8hrs of sleep/night instead of 7 or 7.5.. Never once did he suggest I should get 8hrs sleep. I guess he assumed (as did I) that 7.5 was pretty reasonable, and couldn't possibly be the reason I was daily falling asleep during face-to-face, one-on-one meetings with coworkers, or having to get out of the car to do jumping jacks in dark parking lots at 6:30am so I wouldn't fall asleep behind the wheel.

Comment

• The loss is definitely from thigh & belly - I got into 4 or 5 pairs of pants & shorts (8's) I couldn't wear just last week. Right now I have on 9/10 jeans that I wore at 135-140 5 years ago and they're loose. Very loose, lol, b/c they stop at the hip and don't go into the bloated belly region.

I gave away some size 8 Tommy Hilfiger mom jeans in great condition. They were probably bought in 1998, before boot legs, but aren't slim enough through the leg to be "skinny jeans," either. Just plain ol' old, lol. I never wore them before, don't even know where they came from, but have been holding on to them all of these years waiting to fit into them again to see if I like them or if they'd come back in style again. Now I know - they fit and I still don't like them and someone else could have been wearing them all these years! (Among many other changes in the last decade, I've de-pack-rat-ed myself, thanks to FlyLady. )

Comment

Working...
                                X