No announcement yet.

Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, MG, I *love* your Trader Joe's moment!! And I love Coconut Girl's efforts to spread the love... I could use to do more of that, myself.

Hey, can you share your broth/stock secrets?

Besides the bloating, how're you liking GAPS this time around? (I see that you're not having such a big die off reaction - that's a relief, I'll bet. Just wondering what else you're noticing...)
    50 yo single mom
    5'3"
    Primal since 12/1/2010. Now Whole30ing until I feel WHOLE again, my goals are no longer scale-related.

Aila's Primal Journey

"If I cling to circumstances, I could claim to be not responsible. Only she who says she did not choose is the loser in the end." Adrienne Rich

Comment

• Whole40 Day 10: Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments (no dairy)

Food
      B - yesterday's mixed corned broth w/ canned wild salmon & bok choy mixed in. Actually WAY better than I expected! Also one hard-boiled egg (was supposed to be soft boiled, but I missed the timer, grrr). Sauerkraut juice.

L - More of that soup + 2 hard boiled eggs.

D - fish stew (wow, WAY better than I expected, from the broth I made from $.99/lb fish heads. I am a reformed fish hater; I can't believe I like this stuff now, but it's SO much better than the nasty crap I thought was fish growing up) w/ broc, cauli, shrooms, tomato, leek, cod. Bite of the almond flour dusted fish sticks I made for the kids. Shouldn't have done that, most likely.

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
      yes, yes

Move Slowly, Lift Heavy Things, Sprint
      Toured an antebellum home & hiked at a mill burned by Sherman, did it with bebeGrok on my back the whole time, no.

Sleep, Sun, Play, and Use Your Brain
      6hrs (and I do not feel dead ... weird...), yes - I actually burned a bit ... in winter! ?! it was 82 degrees today!, no, yes

I felt the magic. Just before dinner, I literally felt my body shrink up. I felt my legs and arms getting smaller. Weird! It's happened once before, a month or two ago... I have no idea what that is. Bloating was definitely down a good bit. I wish I could have weighed at that point! Ate the almond stuff and felt like it was expanding again. Not so bad now. Who knows?
      5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
      Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
      Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
      Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
      ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• What kinds of secrets? I shied away from making broth for years because the very idea scared me. Sounded too much like real cooking. But I usually do it very simple. Either I throw the carcasse of a chicken in, cover with filtered water, and toss in bay leaves, peppercorns, and celery/onion/carrot scraps I keep in my freezer and cook for a day or two (then strain and salt), or I do it the GAPS way and throw whole chickens in, add the seasonings & veggies or not, and cook for just three hours. apparently the latter is meat stock and gentler on the die-off than bone broth. Or something like that.

I'm definitely not having any die-off that I can tell. BabyGrok had a raging fever last night and it was gone today, and maybe that was related? I gave her an ACV bath this morning. I'm still nursing a lot, and am trying to keep an eye on her fro reactions. If there are any more, I'll ease off on the intro. I really like a good broth, so it's not hard to do it. It's also easier to avoid things that I am not doing b/c of whole30 (like dairy) when the only choices for meals are broth, boiled meat, boiled veggies, lol. It's just easier not to consider anything other than those three things. But I have a hard time getting enough fat without being able to add butter b/c I'm running out of pernil grease and I don't like eating coconut oil straight up.

I feel well, but I think it'll be good for my body to get back to adding more variety. I wanted to be sure I gave it a good go, not rushing through b/c the family's bored, and really know for sure whether I have sensitivies to dairy or eggs, for instance. I really wanted to see if the bloating would go away, and what would make it come back adding one thing at a time. I wonder if it would go away if I kept in stage one a few more days, but I think I need to move on.

The gapshelp yahoo list is really helpful, although often strays way off topic! It's VERY chatty!! But some of the stories of healing there are amazing, especially the autistic children.

Comment

• Whole40 Day 11: Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments (no dairy)

Food
          B - IF

L - 3 hardboiled eggs (oops again. i suck at soft-boiling.) + baconnaise + fermented pickle relish = DELISH egg salad. Bit of family's sliced roast beef ... I dipped it in the chicken broth I had going on the stove to cook it and have it technically boiled. Not sure why it makes a difference...

D - asopao de pollo (Puerto Rican stewed chicken) w/ lots of veggies. Yum.

Got lightheaded every time I stood up tonight, and even some while sitting. This seems to happen every time I go into ketosis ... but does that mean it's taken all week to get back into it after last Sunday's foray into Crappy Costco Cakeland?

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
          yes, yes

Walked & hiked with my love, no, no. I did jump over a big fallen tree - kind of surprised by the sudden urge to do it!

9hrs + 30m nap, sat in the sun while doing schoolwork w/ DDGrok, no, no.

Starting to feel happy gut in the late afternoon, then less so after dinner, then somewhat better again. Who knows?

Comment

• On the line of Batty's thread, I haven't really lost any weight in the last month and a half, but I've lost a lot of inches on my legs, upper arms, rear. The confusion is, the stable weight isn't from increased muscle mass, because I'm doing NO LHT. Nothing other than what I've been doing for 12 years - carrying children, lol. So maybe I'm losing on the extremities and even losing fat on the gut (b/c the measurements there haven't changed at all), but getting more bloated. ?

At any rate, the news of it is that I tried on all the clothes I ordered from Athleta on 1/31 (that didn't fit when they arrived the next week) and they ALL fit and I'm wearing a GREAT looking pair of purple pants that are SIZE EIGHT and they fit beautifully. All my shorts that I've worn in the last ten years all fit - some snug, but they fit and fasten. My legs are definitely shrinking much faster than my waist.

Comment

• Whole40 Day 12: Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments (no dairy)

Food
              B - broth, sausage cooked and then boiled a minute, two raw eggs in hot broth, sauerkraut juice

L - broth, corned beef, sauerkraut juice, more corned beef

D - Pernil. Yum. Brussels sprouts cooked in bacon grease. Broth, sauerkraut juice

Still getting dizzy. Bloating pretty steady but not bad. I'm going to go back on the HCl. I thought I maxed out, but had belly pain yesterday without it and without dairy, so maybe I still need it. Gonna try some sublingual B12, too. I thought I couldn't be deficient with all this meat, but w/o enough stomach acid, maybe I can.

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
              yes, yes

Walked, no, no.

9hrs, no, no, no.

Pretty lethargic, fatigued, all day.

Comment

• I tried on and moved a whole bunch more pants and shorts from the "doesn't fit and hasn't in years" side of my closet to the "fits" side. !!! Several 8's fit (several aren't even close!), and one 6 was snug, but fit and fastened! :bugeyes:

And in the "HOLY MOLY" category, a story. On the last day of high school in 1993, I put on a pair of what we called "daisy dukes". I can't believe my parents let me wear them or that the school did, b/c they had been banned. But anyway, I haven't worn them since. I was smaller than that for a long time and also a clothes hoarder, so I never tossed them out, but when I started the long long gain, I held onto them to put on someday when I was back down to 125 (I was probably closer to 135 when I graduated high school, and very happy with how I looked).

Well, just for kicks, I pulled them out today. They fit perfectly. Now, my legs don't look great, still wobbly and stuff, but good grief, I'm 35 & 145 and they fit!

So I'm officially wearing clothes from high school, 20 years later, lol. And now it's time to throw those shorts out, lol.

Comment

• Whole40 Day 13: Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments (no dairy)

Food
                  B - IF

L - broth, bit o' scrambled egg, bit o' pernil, stewed chicken & peas & green beans in broth, SK juice, lots and lots of pernil grease

D - pot roast w/ onion, green bell pepper, tomatoes, broth, SK juice, red wine (alcohol boiled out)

Fewer dizzy spells, I think, but found a few times that my pulse was over 60 (it's usually under - was always under till I got fat, then was usually in the 70s, and is back under again) and felt like my heart was beating hard (albeit not fast) and felt a little short of breath. I've felt this way before eating badly, but not when I wasn't. I'm planning a doctor's visit soon (first checkup in about 10 years) just to do lots of bloodwork and will keep this in mind.

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
                  yes, yes

no, no, no

7.5? hrs, about 20 minutes (felt so good!) w/o contacts, no, schooled all the peeps

Not as lethargic today, although sleepy during a Lenten reflection this evening.

Comment

• Wow. Bloating is WAY down this morning. Last night I was feeling like it might be going down. I lost 3/4" on my waist and 3/4" on my hips from just two days ago. Down to a hair below 145 for the first time in nearly 3 years, too. (sorry, whole30, I'm weighing again. wasn't benefitting from not weighing, and am not missing out by doing it - I'm 100% committed to this 30 days)

The HCl? I had two capsules yesterday and one the night before. I'm trying to work out in my head if the really bad bloating that doesn't seem to correspond to what I eat started when I stopped the HCl b/c (I thought) I maxed out (stomach pain & nausea a few hours after having my 9th capsule for the day, and even after having just one or two).

I tossed a bunch of 14's out of my closet this morning. 12s are very loose, 10s fit nicely, 8s are a little snug, and one - 1! - 6 goes on and fastens. Pants are fitting like I'm 10lb lighter than I am.

Heart rate was over 100 this morning after I got up for no discernible reason.

ETA I hit 145 3 years ago, the low after dc#4 was born, before gaining again. It's been 5 years since I was below it by any amount; the low after dc#3 was 140, which I hit for one week and started gaining again.
                    Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-22-2011, 06:18 AM.

Comment

• I bought the new Merrell "barefoot" running shoes Saturday! (not that I run, lol, but I want something for when it's cold and I need to be on my feet for many hours and still look good ) I've only worn them in the store so far, but they felt GREAT!!

Comment

• Whole40 Day 14: Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments (no dairy)

hair under 145

Food
                        B - two scrambled eggs, broth with spleen in it. Really, it's good! LOL, can't believe I'm saying this, but really! SK juice

L - pot roast & broth w/ veggies & kidney. 2-3T avocado, SK juice

D - pot roast & broth w/ veggies & kidney (it's stew week, boys and girls!)

Heart started racing shortly after I got up and took a while to settle down. Don't know why.

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
                        yes, yes

no, no, no

6hrs, no, no, yes (schooling)

3 HCl today. No soreness. Feeling like I'd be cheery & energetic if I wasn't missing two hours of sleep. I just can't function well w/o a ridiculous amount of sleep.
                        Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-24-2011, 07:41 PM.

Comment

• Whole40 Day 15: Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments (no dairy)

hair under 145

Food
                          B - wee bit of that pot roast. 1 HCl. Some pickled pickle juice.

L - pot roast & broth w/ veggies & kidney. Beet kvass. 2 HCl

D - veg/kidney broth from the pot roast. Steak (oops! forgot I'm not on grilled stuff yet!), mashed cauliflower, boatload of pernil grease, evoo. 1 HCl

S - ginger tea sipping

Mild shortness of breath with the tachycardia on rising this morning. Better after a few minutes, but even as my pulse slowed, felt the "heart skip a beat" dyspnea here and there over the next hour. I'm fairly certain it's from my heart trying to move the blood around with my very low BP. I tried to get in a good bit more fermented veggie juice today, which I think is a good electrolyte source, but I'd think the broth would be, too.

Stomach hurt, or felt a little odd, after dinner and was a bit loose. There may be some mild bloating down low in the abdomen, but not sure - I just put on a shirt that's still too small and it may just be that. I feel it more than see it; haven't looked in a mirror.

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
                          yes, yes

no, no, no

7.5hrs + DEEP 1+hr nap, some late afternoon while schooling the sweeties outside in the wonderful spring breeze, no play.

4 HCl today. I think there's a difference. My gut & mood aren't great, but they're better, and they're not up and down adn up and down. I'm expecting orders of more celtic sea salt & my B12 to come in tomorrow; should help with the BP & fatigue, I hope!

Comment

• Kind of strange - my belly felt a little more bloated & more tender as I got into bed and lay there a while, but then there was a serious, erm, wind, and I could feel the deflation, actually feel it happening, over the next ten minutes. Weird gurgling all night, then by morning, I was even more deflated than yesterday, although weighing just a hair more.

Could the discomfort and mild bloating (for the first time since restarting the HCl) be b//c I forgot to take the HCl until after dinner last night?

I also had very weird dreams all night.

bts
                            Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-24-2011, 07:49 AM.

Comment

• Whole40 Day 15: Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments (no dairy)

145.0 New steady point, I guess!

Food
                              B - IF

L - pot roast & broth w/ veggies & kidney. SK juice (actually, this is nearly always fermented pickle juice!). 2 HCl

D - chicken salad w/ baconnaise, bit of raw carrot & red bell, and more baconnaise. Felt famished. 2 HCl. SK juice.

I gut up very slowly this morning, and didn't really get the tachycardia, maybe just a touch. Don't know if it was the slow rising or just coincidence.

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
                              yes, yes

no, no, no. Really very tired feeling.

8ish hours (spent a lot of time awake in bed last night, so not really sure), no, no, no.

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                                I bought the new Merrell "barefoot" running shoes Saturday! (not that I run, lol, but I want something for when it's cold and I need to be on my feet for many hours and still look good ) I've only worn them in the store so far, but they felt GREAT!!
                                Pictures please! They sound great

Do you think the HCL is helping? It sounds like it is having a positive effect on the bloating.
                                Bee
                                Newly primal mama. Taking my family along on the walk to a healthy, strong and happy primal life.
                                Losing fat, building strength, having fun.
                                My journal is here (please ignore my excessive use of exclamation points and smilies, I just can't help myself! )

Comment

Working...
                                X