No announcement yet.

Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My gut felt bloated right after lunch, but I can actually feel the bloating going down right now. Literally.

Crazy, but WAY better than the alternative!
    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments.

147.75 Less bloated

Food
      B - 3+eggs, bacon, CO

L - sliced roast lamb & bacon mayo & red bell pepper, all in a romaine leaf

D - Well, I had to blow it some day, might as well be today. Spanokopita made by a real Greek, tiramisu made by same said Greek. Feel like a tick about to explode, although this was far from a binge. Head not spinning much, but feel kind of drunkish. Also had tons of delicious smoked pork & brisket by DaddyGrok, some skyline chili, hummus, ginger veggie dip, veggies, half brownie (tasted like milk chocolate flavored sugar crystals to me, meh)...

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
      no!

Move Slowly, Lift Heavy Things, Sprint
      yes - cleaning house all day for party tonight! And finished an hour before the party started - new world record for me!!! no LHT, no sprint

Sleep, Sun, Play, and Use Your Brain
      6.5hrs. Eek! Gonna be a rough afternoon. ... tried to nap, couldn't. no sun, no play, no brain.

Tomorrow's going to be really hard, too. There will be a famiyl get-together with a bunch of food i don't like, but after tonight, there's no real chance of me not eating anything non-primal. No point in really aiming for perfection, so I"ll just aim for having a big, nourishing breakfast right before we go, sticking to primal foods for everything but a little dessert, which is the only non-primal thing that could possibly appeal to me.

Then back to whole30 ... Let's call it my whole14.
      Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-19-2011, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• *sigh* been in a freefall since the party at our house last night. I'll just say, here are the lessons I learned over the last 24hours

- Going into an event, I need to *not* be rushed. If I'm rushed and something delectable appears or I hear of it, I'll just dive into it without giving myself a chance to think. I need calm to give me room to think and head off the temptation before it hits.
        - I'm in denial. I keep telling myself that "it's too extreme" not to have even one bite of something rare and delicious. But honestly, just one bite is too muchf or me at this time. Just one bite DOES, in fact, equal a full serving, and probaby three. And even if it stops at one full serving, that's enough to leave me sweating, parched, painfully swollen belly, all over body sweling ... that's just from one serving. Is it wheat, sugar, or the oils? Dunno. But I need to be realistic: One full serving of something with grains or sugar = sweating, parched, painfully swollen belly, all over body sweling. I need to tattoo this onto my forehead and quit being in denial about it. I have a serious sensitivity to this stuff and I need to quit pretending like I'm normal until it's healed. Yes, some day I want to be like DaddyGrok and be able to havve just one bite without those reactions. That time is not now.

I'm going for a whole14 of eggs, fats, meats, cooked veggies, and ferments - no dairy. No yogurt. I. want. to. heal. My gut is insane and I've got to be in this for the long term. After that 14, I'll re-evaluate for another set. I know that ds's birthday party is that week and i'll have to re-evaluate then.

I can't believe I made it through my birthday and Valentine's Day and fell apart at a random party! But i felt shaky all week and I was really worried about these back-to-back parties yesterday and today.

I want to start fresh. I want to start like someone who just found primal after a head-spinning birthday binge and is 150 and wants to drop 20 pounds. TODAY I begin again!!

Comment

• BTDT with the "just a little bit'll be ok" . Go for it hun!
          Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
          Harold Whitman

Comment

• So I had a BAD weekend, and today was recovery. I did have too many peanuts, but they're peanuts, not cookies, so there.

I noticed that my fingers swelled up within an hour or two of eating that junk, and then so did the rest of my body - felt like I was going to burst out of my skin.

But I noticed today that my face is DEFINITELY changing. Hallelujah! I am SO SO SO SO happy about this.

I had the peanuts and a bit of dried mulberry today, and my goal for tomorrow is back to the regular grind. I'll report hourly if I feel I must. This journal has been such a lifesaver to me throughout this journey.

To tomorrow!

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
              So I had a BAD weekend, and today was recovery. I did have too many peanuts, but they're peanuts, not cookies, so there.

I noticed that my fingers swelled up within an hour or two of eating that junk, and then so did the rest of my body - felt like I was going to burst out of my skin.

But I noticed today that my face is DEFINITELY changing. Hallelujah! I am SO SO SO SO happy about this.

I had the peanuts and a bit of dried mulberry today, and my goal for tomorrow is back to the regular grind. I'll report hourly if I feel I must. This journal has been such a lifesaver to me throughout this journey.

To tomorrow!
              Brilliant, well done. Yeah I agree just doing what you need to do to get through it even if it's not ideal, is a good decision. I plan to dot he same if I feel bingey during PMS this week... jumbo bag of macadamias with my name on it lol.
              Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
              Harold Whitman

Comment

• Thanks.

Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments.

Food
                B - too full to eat

L - butter, a cup of salsa, tuna curry. 1/2?C Greek yogurt + fruit leather.

As soon as i finished the curry, I had a headache. Now, that's weird. It's from TJ's and there isnothing other than tuna, coconut milk, and spices on the label. ???

D -

Avoid Poisons & Trauma

9+hrs, still on a major deficit.
                Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-23-2011, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• Hey there, mamagrok. How are you doing? Just checking in.
                  Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
                  Current: 155 - size 10/12
                  Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Comment

• I am new here, but have seen that we have a few similarities. I am also a homeschool mama of four (12, 5, 3, and 4 month old nursing baby). I started my horny just over a month ago at 171 lbs (I'm 5'7") and in a 14. My journey started with the candida free diet and stumbled on this diet by accident. I am currently 162, was 160, but gained 2 lbs back. It's nice to see that another nursing mama has been successful.

I had gotten rid of my yeast (in my breast) and now it has come back so I am frustrated right now. I haven't lost any weight in a week, but actually gained the 2 lbs back and now this stinking breast yeast has resurfaced.

Anyway, I have loved seeing your success and hope to be right there with ya before long!

Comment

• Hi, y'all! I'm doing well! THis is the first time I've laid off my journal that it hasn't been because I fell off the wagon! It's because sweet babygrok dropped a bit of water on my computer and it. just. died. Took the battery out, took the cover off and hard drive out and laid it out overnight. Nothing. Not even any water came out! So I sent it to ACer b/c it's still under warranty. We shall see...

Meanwhile, I'm limited to typing on a phone and that's just way too tedious to keep up. Today I'm using DaddyGrok's computer since he's working from home.

Lent starts tomorrow, so I'm about to embark on a whole40, lol. This time I'm doing it all the way. No butter, no yogurt. It won't kill me for 40 days. I really want to see if I'm eating something that's continuing to cause this up and down bloating. Seriously, I was 147.5 one day, then 145.25, then 147.5, then 146, just up and down and up and down in a way that didn't correlate to what I was eating. ANd the weight I mention only because it demonstrates what was actually going on, which is my belly. Looking 2mo pregnant, then 4, then 6, then 3, then 6, then 3, ... I AM NOT PREGNANT! I do not like bloating!!!! And with the bloating always comes just a general sour mood that is completely different from my core when the bloating is gone. I'd bet something hormonal is awry, bu tI don't know what.

meanwhile, my pants continue to fall off as I am still losing fat, just not the bloating. So it's not all bad.

Last night I had a bit of almond flour (very little) in our dinosaur eggs and two spoons of apple butter (no sugar). I woke up parched and boiling. What IS that?! Blood sugar? I thought I had that particular reaction tied down to bad oils, but the only oils I ate yesterday were copious amounts of pastured lard and grassfed butter. ?!

So that's where my struggle is. Mystery reactions. I am plannign to do the whole40, then slowly reintroduce things, maybe spread a week apart. I need to beat this thing. I plan to continue to do GAPS for at least 6 months more, but am easing off on the kids. I've seen improvements for usre, but their issues aren't severe enough to keep me mentally into the game enough to keep them on it. They'll have some potatoes, fruit, nuts, starchy veggies, honey occasionally, and rarely, some whole sourdough and allowed to have sweets at special occasions. It'll still be a 90% GAPS diet b/c it's clear their healing isn't complete. I just need to focus on my healing for a while b/c the fatigue keeps me from being able to throw myself wholly into theirs.

Mamaof4, welcome! Looks like you're typing on a phone, too. ("started my horny") How's your sugar/fruit/nut/honey/grain intake at this point?

Comment

• Ha! Lol! Gotta love typing on a phone! I really must proofread. At least it gave me a good laugh!
                        No grains at all (only almonds and coconut flour), no sugar (only stevia and xylitol), no honey, very little fruit (drink a green smoothie with fruit a few times a week), and nuts pretty regular though not everyday (either raw or in homemade almond butter).
                        I am back down to 160 again. I do have a little more energy, but have horrible constipation (not a new thing for me, but seems to be worse than normal).
                        I am eating lots of good fats, veggies and try to get lots of protein (new to me because I was a veggie). Typically east either a smoothie or eggs for breakfast if I feel like eating. A salad with chicken for lunch. A piece of meat our seafood with veggies or salad for supper. Made some coconut oil "candies" to get more coconut oil because I just can't handle eating it straight. I use the raw oil for all my cooking too.

Comment

• Borrowing DaddyGrok's computer for a minute...

I decided ash Wednesday would be a great time to start a whole 40, lol. 40 days of giving up some otherwise good things (namely butter and well fermented Kefir) for a greater physical and spiritual good. Perfect timing.

So yesterday ...

No bkfst

Lunch was half a can of coconut milk and salmon salad ... just kept adding things ...mayonnaise, baconnaise, Redbud capers, yellow bell, dilly beans, Dijon, coconut milk ...

Dinner was mixed sauteed seafood and veggies. Lots of pernil fat.

Comment

• Sometime last week I hit 145.25 and then back bouncing around between 146 and 148. Yesterday I was 145.75 and today I feel like I'm probably at 145. But I'm doing whole30 legit this time - no scale, no measurements, no dairy (not even butter or very fermented yogurt or kefir). Just to see.

I'm re-doing GAPS intro starting Monday. Just me, not the kids this time. I really want to work on healing myself. It's so hard keeping track of everyone, so I'm focusing on me, but still doing GAPS 98% of the time with them, just not intro.

Whole40 Day 2: Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments (no dairy)

Food
                            B - 3 eggs in 1T CO

L - beef roast slices wrapped in romaine w/ bell pepper & baconnaise

D - steak & kidney no-pie. REALLY delicious. I did pour a bottle of beer in it (boiled the alcohol off) and then dd reminded me that beer was made from grains. Oops. At least it's fermented. No biokult. Lots of fermented sauerkraut. Mixed greens in pernil grease, lemon juice, etc. Loved this meal so much I went back and had more and hour later, and then an hour after that, finally feeling sated halfway through the third dinner. LOL. Wonder what's up with that.

Bloated right after dinner like the last few nights, but feeling much better now, unlike the last few nights (last night was better, but not as much). Only culprit for bloating tonight: ferments, beer sans alcohol, carrots?

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
                            yes.

a bit, no, no

8hrs + 30m nap (have a cold), no, no, taught history

Comment

• Whole40 Day 2: Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments (no dairy)

Food
                              B - 3 eggs in 1T CO

L - albacore tuna salad on salad w/ baconnaise

D - Looked for something that didn' tneed much modifying at a restaurant, got oysters (taste like sewer water, bleh) and cajun shrimp on spinach salad w/ red bell & avocado. I asked them to hold th ebacon (Lent), cotija cheese (whole30), & dressing (sugar), and bring me real olive oil & vinegar instead, whcih they gladly did!

No bloating after dinner! And I'm feeling very cheery and energetic. It started yesterday evening when I looked at a huge flight of stairs and instead of wearily urging myself on, one step at a time, I looked impatiently at them and bounded up two at a time like I always used to. I thought the difference was being overweight, but all the way up until ... yesterday ... it still took everything within me to climb stairs. Llike a switch. I had a glimpse into that a few months ago, but it went away. I expect this may, too, but at least the windows into the kind of energy I used to have are getting closer together.

Wow, what a difference. One day, stairs are an enormous burden, then next, something to bound up, get out of the way, and move on to the next hing in my life! Like a switch turned on an doff.

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
                              Not sure - one instance of heartburn about two hours after dinner - there must have been *something* in there.

a bit, no, no

8hrs, no, got to socialize some and played a gig with the alumni band, no.

Oh! and they had free cheesecake and key lime pie at the gig for the band and holy cow I didn't eat some! I knew they would be made from crap, bu tthe cheesecake really looked good. So I had DaddyGrok test it for me (he has no carb addiction tendencies whatsoever) and he said it was really not good, could only finish half a piece, and had a weird feeling in his stomach later. So I had to talk myself down from it, seriously picturing the loads of hydrogenated oils that must have been in it to make DG say it tasted and felt so bad, and that really helped - imagining th eoils in my head and also the heartburn and bloating that would follow really helped the consequences come to the forefront in my head. I was wishing I had had some, but now I'm really glad I didn't. Usually when I miss a good dessert I regret it for days, but this ... nah, this wasn't a good dessert worth missing.

Comment

• I realized when I went to bed last night that I was actually bloated, but didn't have that feeling like something was pressing out from within and didn't have the foul mood and fatigue that usually accompanies it, of course. Still bloated this morning but the rest of me feels great.

Great moment from last night ... someone I don't think I've seen in fifteen years since college saw daddygrok and me at the gig and said we looked great and he didn't think we'd changed a bit. That's something that absolutely could not have been said about me a year ago!

Comment

Working...
                                X