Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks!

I tried on tons more pants in my closet today and could button lots of the 8's and they didn't look bad as long as I covered up the muffin top! (Who invented low rise jeans, anyway! They create muffin tops, they fall off when they fit like they should b/c they don't go in to the natural waist, they require belts to prevent the previous problem & when you use a belt, it pokes out on the largest part of the belly, they require a whole new underwear wardrobe and I have to wear a belly band nearly all the time anyway if I don't want the world to see my whole rear, ... I don't want jeans to my eyeballs, but some kind of waist would be nice. It kills me that they say "Use your waist measurement to determine size..." on online retailers when your waist measurement has nothing to do with it at all because they don't come anywhere near your waist!

Okay, got that out of my system....

I loved being able to put all those pants on this morning. In five pounds, most of them should fit perfectly.

I started this journey with size 16s barely fitting. 10s fit well now, 8s are right around the bend, and 6s are on the horizon!
    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• A happy birthday for you, indeed! Congrats!!
      Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
      Current: 155 - size 10/12
      Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Comment

• Happy Birthday to you!!!!

I'm planning on not having anything sweet for my birthday either. 24 days away.

I did read somewhere that higher waisted jeans were going to be making a comeback this spring. Maybe you'll get your wish.
        Georgette

Comment

• I hope they're just reasonable height ones - knowing the fashion industry, they'll probably make them above-waist height and make you start tucking your shirt in again. Crazy people!

Comment

• Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments.

Quite bloated last night. ??? So tired of this mystery. I looked 4mo pg. This morning, it's back down more to the bottom of the abdominal region, but not all the way. Also, very tender stomach area last night; this morning, the tenderness has moved down to navel area. ???

VERY GRUMPY this morning. Something biochemical is going on.

Food
            B - 3 eggs in CO

L - deli roast beef, mayo & horseradish, salsa, butter. 2 or 3 more eggs. thinking I should eat something else. Jittery nerves, super sleepy.

S - hard-boiled egg. Feel like I need to keep eating.

D - extremely sleepy, feel like crying and maybe vomiting. Amazing wildly varied salad and taco salad (no tacos!) prepared by my beautiful sweeties. I ate a TON of ground beef.

S - pickles, carrots, beef jerky.

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
            mostly - the sweeties put out a snack tray while they played one of my favorite movies, and it included beef jerky (they know I love iti) but unfortunately, it had some sugar in it. No way I could pass it up in front of them, though, the sweeties.

Move Slowly, Lift Heavy, Sprint
            no, no, no

Sleep, Sun, Play, and Use Your Brain
            8hrs (did not feel rested). no, yes! My babies made a 3 hour birthday party for me and we played games and I just really enjoyed them. They made dinner, played my favorite game, played my favorite movie, just are wonderful children. I tried so hard to wipe the grump off before I came down when they called me. I'm back to feeling weepy again. I suspect this is probably some kind of breakthrough coming (it last happened right before I started GAPS); don't know exactly what.

I'm very, very bloated this evening. Even before the jerky. Yesterday's and today's bloating make NO sense to me. I can't understand at all. I think I'm going to do basically GAPS Intro (mostly stage 2 & 3) for the next few days, just for myself - that's only boiled meat, boiled veggies, broth, & eggs. Just to see if that's what led to the flat stomach last time.
            Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-12-2011, 08:09 AM.

Comment

>147.5.

I gained 4.5lbs over the course of yesterday. This morning I woke up still bloated and firey mean. Just mean, feel like spitting at everyone who gets in my way. Or crying. This is not me AT. ALL. I can't figure out if it's detox (GAPS), Day 4 (whole 30), gut bugs just going berzerk and I'll never figure it out (I keep focusing on this one), or what.

Think I'll go take a detox bath and drink some ginger tea. I think I feel like what women describe who say they have bad PMS every month.

Food
              B - 3 eggs in CO. Bacon.

Started turning the corner around 1ish, emotionally & bloating-wise. Thank goodness!

L - very late. Just had kefir & a bit of very fermented homemade sour cream

Took a detox bath and am now feeling MUCH MUCH better after an afternoon of deflating (don't know if the bath did any good, but it felt good!)

D - T-bone, very buttery brussels sprouts. and more of the same.

VERY late snacks - hot wings & about 1/4C bleu cheese, eaten before I knew it!

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
              no - the seriously bad processed veggie oils in the dip

Move Slowly, Lift Heavy Things, Sprint
              no, big bags of beef, no

9.5hrs. a bit, karaoke yes!, no.
              Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-13-2011, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• I have a confession to make - I haven't washed my hair with shampoo in 3.5 years (one exception: a 70s party, and I wanted to get the super-straight Breck girl shine that I can only get with shampoo). We went to a karaoke bar last night and it was ridiculously smoky. In shampoo days, I would have had to wash my hair in the morning with shampoo, without a doubt, to get the smell out - it would still be very strong in the morning.

This morning, my hair smelled only faintly of smoke. By now, it's almost gone, and I don't think I'm going to have to wash it at all, even with water. I did wash it with ACV & baking soda last night, though, which, I think is the only reason it smells this morning - ACV/BS strips the natural oils a bit, although no where near as much as shampoo does.

Proof? DaddyGrok's hair does not smell *at all*. He hasn't used anything but water for three years, not even ACV & BS, and the oils are naturally and well distributed throughout his hair. I think it's so cool - I had suspected, when we came home smelling nappy last night, that the oils would protect the hair from getting infused with the smell, and it did!

Comment

• Feeling 100% better this morning. Bloating is almost gone. Even the swelling on my arms is down. My attitude is bright and sunny again. Bizarre-o. I think it was die-off somehow.

We went karaoking last night - I was nervous & trying to pick my songs fast so I didn't have to wait forever and when the wings came, I just dove into the bleu cheese dip w/o thinking. I probably had a total of 1/4C. This morning, my whole head felt dry. Mouth, nose eyelids even.

OTOH, the bloating is gone and my mood is fantastic! The dip didn't seem to make that worse.

It's clear that the processed oils in the veggie dip (probably soybean oil & canola oil) caused the reaction. I think it's the inflammatory thing, most likely? I used to have that feeling most of the time, so much so that I didn't even notice it until it disappeared after I changed my diet and then I indulged again. I thought for a long while it was sugar, but then I realized that the things that did it always also had processed oils in them (like store-made cake), and after last night, I'm sure. It wasn't a sweet dip at all; it was oily. It's the oils that make me crazy dry.

Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments.

Same weight as yesterday, whole different body & attitude. Crazy weird detox stuff!

Food
                  B @10:30 - 3 eggs in CO. Bacon, sausage, ~homemade jerky.

S - jerky

D - bunch of random meat & veggies, accidental taste of 1000 Island (bleh!), an entire quart of homemade yogurt which I kept feeding myself to avoiding tasting the (nasty, greasy, veggie oil-smelling) storebought cookie dough I was turning into poison for a Valentine's Day Party, lol. Jerky.

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
                  mostly

shopping, hauling a smoker around, no.

<7hrs. Feeling okay so far, but it'll catch up with me for sure.
                  no sun, no play, no brain, and no nap = will still be sleeping at 9am tomorrow.
                  Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-13-2011, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• Interesting that after eating a quart and a half of 24hr fermented yogurt, I had no carb issues (palpitations, etc.), only weighed half a pound more this morning (despite the yogurt itself weighing more than 2lb, lol), and feel fine today. Good test that I'm succeeding in fermenting *all* the lactose out of my yogurt!

Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments.

Food
                    B - IF. Not even remotely hungry, lol.

L - rotisserie chicken (Boston Market, prolly covered in chemically crap), buttery green beans, 2? eggs in bacon grease, ~ yogurt

D - pot roast w/ veggies, salad.

Bloated. :P Didn't take HCl yesterday or today to see if it helps with my stomach tenderness. The bloating could be from that, or from the raw veggies?

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
                    yes

lovely evening walk with DaddyGrok (thanks for the idea, horsewoman!), w/ babe on back, sprinted up last hill (w/ babe on back!)

8hrs. Setting sun (doesn't count, I know, but felt wonderful), no, no. But oldest dd did - we got her SAT results back today (took it as a 7th grader as part of Duke's TIP) and she BLEW it out of the water. She could literally enter almost any college in the country - today. Really, really made us feel great about what we're doing as a family and homeschooling and just enjoying the gifts we've been given, including each other)
                    Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-14-2011, 08:37 PM.

Comment

150, less bloated than last night.

Food
                      B - accidental IF - ran out of eggs!

S - fell onto a plate of chocolate chip larabar hearts covered with whipped cashew cream & raisins, then couldn't stop thinking about them till I had three more. Yikes! Prolly equal to about 1.5 real larabars. Back on board...

L - chicken soup

*hu

S - a quart of well-fermented yogurt. Erk. Didn't feel like that much, but now I'm feeling way too full to eat dinner.

D - some chicken soup

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
                      no - honey in frosting

cleaning, no, no

8hrs, no, no, no.

My oldest two went for a checkup today (haven't seen the doctor in two years). Their eyes haven't changed since their new glasses last year. At 12 & 9, this is a miracle I've been praying for a long, long time. I can't say it with confidence yet; we'll have to see what happens next year, too, and the next, but could it be ... I've researched for years and it seems clear that myopia is some combination of genetic susceptibility to D deficiency, near work, & excess carb intake. By nearly eliminating their grains & sweets for the last year and greatly increasing veggie & pastured egg intake, ... did we stop their myopia?

Please...?

They're 12 & 9. The progression stopped in the same year for both (just like their dental regression stopped in the same year when we first allowed fat in our diet). At 12, my myopia was progressing at its most rapid, plunging to coke bottle glasses. Could it be? Dare I hope that my younger three might never develop the terrible myopia that DG, my oldest two, and I currently share?

Comment

Food
                        B - sausage

S - Well, definitely off the whole30 bandwagon today. No reason I won't be back on tomorrow, though, but today is going to make this weekend a WHOLE lot harder. We had our weekly Bible study kind of thing (not exactyl what it is, but sort of), and had two special guests, so the ladies brought treats. Only it turned out that there was only one thing - cupcakes & OJ. And the way it was, there was no way for me not to have some without hurting feelings. usually there is. not this time. I was really bummed. And since I don't have an allergy or anything I had one. Now, the world didn't end; I didn't even have any reaction at all that I could tell. Not even a head spin. But I did do it very slowly, and after a good breakfast, so ? Well, anyway, I had cravings all day - the only reaction. I actually prayed for there not to be any on sale V Day stuff at the store when I had to run in for eggs (and there wasn't, thankfully). It was tough.

L - chicken soup, ~roast beef.

D - ham steak, lots of it, and greens cooked in pernil & bacon grease w/ a splash of ACV. Bit o' roast beef (homemade)

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
                        no! cupcake

no, no, no

9.5hrs, no, no, no

I think I'm going to take out the yogurt now. i've got 2.5 weeks left with this whole30 and need to step it up. If I find myself eating a quart of it whenever I open it up, it's gotta go.

Comment

• Thanks for your prayers, we really appreciate it.

We had a potluck Monday for V Day and someone made a ton of cupcakes. I was the only person who did not have one. Seeing all that sugar made me want to get sick. I felt nauseated looking at them. You can definitely tell that I am changing now.
                          Georgette

Comment

• That's great progress, seriously.

I'm feeling very down again today. Totally connected with my belly, I'm sure. I'm just feeling very binge'y and am very frustrated that I can't eat anything that I"m craving. :P

Comment

147.5 Was VERY dry overnight and had *hu in the morning, so I must have had a very delayed reaction to the cupcakes. I don't think it's ever been that delayed before.

Food
                              B - 3 eggs in CO

L - my roast beef, deli roast beef, just felt like eating and eating... horseradish galore ... 1.5C mild salsa (no sugar, just tomatoes & stuff, but nearly 23gm carbs - my body knows where to find it) ... 1.5C beef broth ... very full..

D - sausage & cube steak, rolled up into a yummy meatloaf!

S - more beef. :P

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
                              yes

some, no, no

barely 8hrs? no, no, no

Going to bed bloated & full.
                              Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-17-2011, 08:33 PM.

Comment

148.5 *hu Less bloated

Food
                                B - bite of bacon, then didn't feel like eating.

L - sliced roast beef & roast lamb, roasted eggplant, butter

D - red curry beef w/ veggies.

S - yogurt. Alright, yogurt's gotta go. Had way too much again, even though it's fermented for literally 24 hours.

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
                                yes, other than the nasty Kilz the paint dudes sprayed.

a little, no, no

8+hrs. no, no, no
                                Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-18-2011, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X