No announcement yet.

Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, I can't believe how long it's been ... TFG probably has 50,000 views by now! GAPS is just kicking my butt. I've been sick 4 times in 6 weeks. Unheard of for me.

Right now, it's either a big big cold or some kind of sinus infection, although I've never had one, so I don't really know. The possibilities I see are:
    - broth, meat, veggies, & eggs make me sick. LOL, seems unlikely, since people lived off of that for many tens of thousands of years before inventing agriculture.
    - die-off

There are several people on the GAPS list who have mentioned that they (or their child) never got sick prior to GAPS, even though their immune systems really had no reason to be great, but on GAPS, got sick lots, got that all out of their systems, and now rarely get sick, but it's b/c they actually eat really well and really do have great immune systems. Could be that. Or not. LOL. If so, the idea is that the body has lots of stuff in it that's been there, latent, for a very long time, and only now is the immune system strong enough to purge properly. There's definitely some evidence pointing to that, so it could be the case.

I'm sure it's no coincidence that I, the only former sugar addict in the family, am the one getting sick all the time. I'm glad it's me and not them, anyway!

Meanwhile, I'm marking time at 157.5, but I'm wearing smaller pants, anyway, and they fit nicely! And a milestone - not since my first baby have I made it back down to my prepregnancy weight. (and it has nothing to do with having babies, and everything to do with sugar addiction) So yay! When I'm not sick, I have a wonderful underlying physical and mental energy. Of course, I need it, b/c I have to spend a few days picking up from the disaster that accrued during the 3-4 days I was sick!

Well, better to get that stuff out of me now, forever.
    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Hey there MamaGrok!

Hope you feel better soon! Sending big TFG hugs your way!
      sigpic

Signature Approved by Mark Sisson

Comment

• I hope you feel better soon!
        Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
        Current: 155 - size 10/12
        Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Comment

• Well, after about a month of eating waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much sugar (whole, concentrated, larabars, the works) & occasional delving into sugarland (but never crazy with it), I'm starting fresh today. Ready to be accountable again!

I think I'm about 158. I know I was still losing inches the first few weeks, haven't checked in over a week.

Goal for today: full serving of protein with each of three meals. Yogurt for snack. Whole fruit with 1 or 2 meals (that'll put me at two total carb servings for the day, with my goal being one, since that's the only way I can lose weight & bloating). Don't sweat the rest. Move slowly a lot. Sprint up the stairs once.

Last edited by MamaGrok; 11-09-2010, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• Alright, after being more or less absent for a full month, here we go again. . How about hour-by-hour today?

8-9 not much going on
            9-10 3 eggs in 1T CO, ~cheddar (after realizing it was really not sharp despite claiming to be "super sharp," and tasted kind of rubbery, I saw it said "pasteurized process cheddar cheese" on the label - grrrrrr! I'm guessing that means it's more American than Cheddar. Hoffman's brand, looks real, but tastes meh.
            10-11 moving slowly, using brain.

Okay, FAIL. Got busy between 12 and 2, grabbed something to eat around 2, it turned out to be PB & half a jar of jam. Curses, foiled again! Topped it off with some ground beef & tomato soup (homemade). Try again next meal!

Dinner: bits of salami, more hamburger soup, rubbery cheese, larabar. :P

Tomorrow's another day!
            Last edited by MamaGrok; 11-09-2010, 08:42 PM.

Comment

• Welcome back, MamaGrok! It's good to have you back.

My Journal

Comment

• Okay, I was procrastinating again, but since you bumped my journal, I'm gonna take advantage of the mental reminder and post!

Breakfast: 3 eggs, 1T CO
                Lunch: some Indian veggie thing (yum), some leftover beef broth & veggies, chicken salad (nasty conventional chicken, but fermented homemade mayo), and PB + small apple. Felt like I just had to keep eating and eating to pass the fruit(sugar) craving that attacks me relentlessly this time of day lately. ... dare I say ... ? Did it!! ?!

Off to take a nap. Stayed up too late last night, like I always do when dh is out of town. Had some great 'move slowly' this weekend, hiking inthe Smokies with all the kids and some extended family, through hills, streams, long-lost model T's in the forest, pioneer-built rock walls and barns, and even snow!

I'm just about tired enough of feeling tired, being cranky, and having a swollen belly (not to mention not progressing on the weight loss front), and ready to hit it again. Ready to start lifting heavy things (like myself!) again. Ready to Grok again! Just about ...

Dinner: ground beef w/ cheese, brussels sprouts with gobs of butter, pumpkin butter (homemade). Not feeling too desperate. Think I'll go have some beef broth and call it a night!
                Last edited by MamaGrok; 11-10-2010, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• Beef Tendon Stew for dinner - now that's primal! http://www.malaysiabest.net/2009/01/...up-urat-lembu/

Hmm... there are a lot of people reading this who never post to say hi or anything, judging by how the view count goes up by 30-50 every time I post something. I'm wondering if I could use that to help me.

If you read this, and a day goes by without me posting, could you PM me and smack me upside the head?! I need some real accountability! I've been stuck in Fruit hell for two months now! I can't get the bloating to go away and I can't stop thinking about sweets and I can't lose any weight/inches or get enough energy to do my every day work until I get out of Fruit Hell!

What say? Those kind souls who have posted here and the kind lurkers who haven't, I'd love your help!

It's so frustrating. After all these years, I've finally found the thing that absolutely works to get me feeling my best, and I'm just. not. doing. it. :banghead:

Comment

• hey there! I'm sorry you've been in fruit hell. I'll take you up on your request of accountability.

Are you still wanting to do the GAPS diet or back to primal? You can do it! You know what to do. Today is a new day.....His mercies are new every morning.

My Journal

Comment

• His mercies are new every morning.
                      Thank you.

Today is a beautiful day! And we IF'd breakfast (ran out of eggs, lol), had sirloin tips (homemade deli roast beef) for lunch, and will have taco-less taco salad for dinner. I had some dried fruit & nuts & yogurt for snacks. We're still doing GAPS, and the kids are making great strides. I probably would if I'd actually stick to it, lol. I was feeling really great before rolling into Spiking-My-Blood-Sugar-with-Concentrated-Fruit-Sources Land. And I'll feel really great again!

I'm still losing weight & inches, through it all, albeit very, very slowly. As long as I'm not gaining, I'm counting it as a positive!

Happy Thanksgiving all you American compatriots out there!

Comment

• Thought I'd share my real food Pecan Pie recipe - no Karo syrup here! The result is so much better than corn syrupy pecan pie - instead of sickly sweet stuff that only real sugar addicts like, it's complex, still VERY sweet, but everyone likes it, even those who never go for really sweet stuff, and those who always go for really sweet stuff, lol. My totally-SAD-fed family has loved it every Christmas and Thanksgiving since I started doing it.

This is my traditional foods version of my Better Homes and Gardens recipe. I used to think the BH&G was perfect (even though it made my brain spin), but this is even better. Of course it is ... it has sorghum!

Pecan Pie
                        3 eggs (pastured, of course!)
                        1/2 C maple syrup
                        1/2 C sorghum syrup
                        2/3 C Rapadura
                        1/3 C butter, melted
                        1t real vanilla
                        1-1/4 C crisped pecan halves
                        Pie crust

Lightly beat eggs. Stir in next 5 ingredients. Fold in pecan halves.

Place pastry in pie plate, on a cookie sheet. Pour filling into pie plate and cover edge of crust lightly with foil. Bake at 350 25 minutes. Remove foil; bake 20-25 minutes more or till a knife comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
                        COULDN'T BE EASIER!

The pie crust recipe is the BH&G one, standard (sprouted spelt) flour, (unrefined sea) salt, lard, & water. Real lard, though!

Ingredient definitions for those that might be unfamiliar
                        crisped pecans - nuts are hard on the digestion (ask my grandfather to tell you the story of walking through a hickory orchard as a child eating as he went, and how hard his stomach hurt for hours afterward!) raw, so they're soaked and dried low-temp (so as not to destroy the enzymes). When I buy them, I put them in a bowl of water overnight, then dry them in the toaster oven at 110-ish, or in the oven w/ the light on, for 12 hrs till crispy. I love nuts this way!

sucanat or Rapadura - whole sugar. None of the molasses spun out of it or anything added to make it flow freely. Way better, more complex taste than brown sugar, which sometimes doesn't even have molasses in it - just caramel coloring and flavoring, from what the label says!

unrefined sea salt - just sea water that's been dried by wind and sun. Not Hain's. I use Celtic Sea Salt brand. Can be ground finer for pie crust (or use TJ's fine unrefined sea salt).

sorghum syrup - traditional syrup used in the South (we don't have much of a maple harvest!). I vaguely remember hearing about it (grew up on Aunt Jemima), and seeing sorghum mills at old farm demonstrations, but I found some at a farm stand last fall. One taste and I knew it was the perfect replacement for all that stinkin' corn syrup (sicky sweet and banally bland).

Of course, no one in my house can eat it this year, but the rest of the extended family can. Maybe next year I'll try significantly reducing the sweetener amounts, but you can't do it too much, since this is basically a sugar pie, lol. Maybe more eggs & butter with less sweetener?

Comment

• Great day today! Yesterday I had a few indiscretions, but that's what feasts are for. It was WAY better than I've ever done and I was paid off by not having to unbutton my pants to breathe later!

Today:
                          BKFST - 3 eggs, 1 slice bacon
                          LUNCH - leftover roast beef & turnips, PB & cran sauce (homemade w/ honey)
                          SNACK - tiny apple
                          DINNER - roast beef & carrots etc., salad. Still hungry, had another tiny apple.

Wearing jeans I couldn't squeeze into two months ago even though I've only lost a pound. Definite some redistribution going on here.

Oh, lifted heavy things - a really fully loaded very large iron dutch oven with iron lid, lol.
                          Moved a lot - shopping.
                          Last edited by MamaGrok; 11-27-2010, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• Breakfast: 3 eggs in CO, sausage.

Will be walking a whole lot at the Tech/GA game.

Lunch: salad, burger w/ veggie toppings
                            Dinner: sausage, bell peppers, cheesecake, cookies. :hide: Tailgating friends brought homemade desserts and I just couldn't hold off.
                            Last edited by MamaGrok; 11-28-2010, 07:08 PM.

Comment

• Breakfast: storebought link breakfast sausages & bacon. Was at my parents' house, and my mother was really sweet and made us a lovely breakfast, but whatever chemicals were in there brought me back tot he way I used to feel every time I ate breakfast at a restaurant in the old days.

Lunch: yogurt, roast beef, random (good) this and that.
                              Snack: Snickers. This is actually good news, b/c I had a REALLY close call with an enormous amounto fostorebought cake, and in a moment of clarity, realized it was either a small Halloween Snickers or drowning in crapcake. I'm feeling very grateful I escaped that one. The call of the cake was obviously brought on by the last few days of holiday bits of this and that.
                              Dinner: pot roast w/ carrots, lots of broth. Homemade Lara Bar.

Forgot that yesterday I also had a bit of some pumpkin pie made with a cake crust, and it made me feel really dry on the inside of my head.
                              Last edited by MamaGrok; 11-29-2010, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Bkfst: 3 eggs, 1 T CO, ~cheese

Lunch: leftover Asian beef tendon & oxtail stew, ~dried apples & cherries, crisis with ice cream narrowly averted with 2-3 spoons of homemade, low-honey cranberry sauce

Dinner: Stir-fry (read: mixed whatever meat, veggies, & sauce I could dig up). A little yogurt.

Stress: very high. Children crazy today. Thinking it's Thanksgiving treats wearing off.
                                Sleep: very deprived. Too many late nights followed by early mornings over the long weekend. Feel like :P
                                Last edited by MamaGrok; 11-29-2010, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X