No announcement yet.

Gravyboat's Log, Stardate 59575.1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm still here. Haven't been losing any weight at all. I finally recovered from my xtreme muscle soreness, but I've been at 230 every day with the same measurements. My body is stupidly squishy and I am constantly pinching at it, wanting it to go away. But nothing seems to be happening. I guess it's a real live plateau.

To keep from getting discouraged, I keep telling myself I've dropped 30lbs and am keeping it off with zero effort, and that is pretty amazing and I should be proud. I'm still only 1/3 of the way there though.

I'm going back to the gym tomorrow, and picking up more meat at the butcher after, and stopping at the farmers market for vegetables and marrow bones. I'm making a bunch of stew this month and I'm going to stew some bones in with the meat (big ones which will obv be fished out before serving). I really want to make french onion soup with a ton of beef in it. I have a bottle of red wine on my fridge waiting to go.

Lately I've been eating a lot of bacon and eggs (with a little syrup) and a lot of peanut curry with tuna and bell peppers and carrots, and a lot of bananas.

I really hope I start losing weight again soon. Until then there doesn't seem to be much to report.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Comment

• How about switching fruit carbs for starch like potatoes or white rice?
      Primal since 9/24/2010
      "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
      MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
        How about switching fruit carbs for starch like potatoes or white rice?
        I might try some potatoes this week, but I'm leaning more toward cracking back on sugar again, as I lost gobs of weight doing that before. I don't really like rice. I'm definitely gonna go easy on the bananas unless I start swelling again, and I don't eat much other fruit. Gonna stop the syrup and chocolate completely, as I've been eating a little bit still.

Comment

• Was 228lbs this morning. Went to the gym today. Gave my thighs a rest and only did two sets of squats and did not touch the leg press machine. Instead I mostly worked on shoulders and arms. I bench-pressed with a barbell for the first time and felt like a badass. Also did bicep curls, rows, lateral raises, and worked on a couple arm-related machines. I warmed up today with the elliptical, but I did not like it. It takes some work to make the machine move the right way and it kind of jerks you around until you get it going. I dunno. I definitely felt it in my legs after barely a minute, but I was doing it to warm up for squats and it felt too intense. I need to find something less xtreme for warming up.

There were a ton of bros at the gym. No meatnecks or anything, and no heavy grunting, but there were a lot of guys in the weight area and we were kind of competing for space. None of them gave me any dirty looks or anything, which is good. They mostly avoided eye contact, but I could feel some mild surprise and approval at my being a fat girl lifting weights among the bros. I'm not sure how to qualify that except for saying their body language was respectful and their eyebrows were slightly raised. I did not walk out of there feeling judged at all, which is great, especially since I was wearing new pants which are really thin and clingy.

Speaking of which, I had to buy new gym pants, because the only pair of sweats I had were a size 24 and thus HANGING off me. They are so big and hang down so bad that even pulling the draw string super tight and tying them up around my natural waist, I still step on the bottoms, which is just not safe at the gym. So I dragged my friend to Target to buy some gym pants and came home with some thin spandexy black pants. Size LARGE. Not XL. Not XXL. LARGE. Wtf.

To be fair, I do have to wear them up at my natural waist or the elastic band squishes my fat in half, which is mega unflattering. But they are really stretchy pants and they fit fine. I'm happy with them because now I'll be able to lose a lot of weight and they will still fit. It'll be a long time before the elastic is hanging off me, if ever. I only wish they were like an inch longer. Whatever.

So, I have a feeling I will be mildly sore tomorrow, but it should NOT be like it was last week. I purposely went easy on my legs. The worst thing I did to them today was haul a large box of meat up to the 4th floor. Okay, and the squats right after coming off the elliptical.. Eh.

Anyway, the gym experience, even at peak crowded hours, was not bad at all and I did not feel anxious or judged. Even doing new exercises involving laying down on a bench (read: unflattering pose and vulnerable) among a bunch of gym dudes. It was totally fine. Most of the guys there were actually pretty shrimpy and weak, so we were all lifting pretty small and most of them seemed to not know what they were doing. So I was in good company! The only people there doing serious stuff were two guys deadlifting in a rack off to the side, and some badass lady doing pullups. And they ignored everyone around them.

Overall, it was a good day. I ate a plate of bacon and eggs when I got home. Now, time to watch Star Trek and grind my warrior up to lvl85.

Comment

• 229, 36.25" / 49.25", same measurements as usual

Sore today! Feels good though, not like last week. It's mostly my arms and shoulders, which is way more tolerable. And, to be honest, I actually like feeling sore because I can tell I'm "doing it right". It's a good feeling, as opposed to, like, incapacitated like I was last time.

Just found out today that the gym I go to has an entire huge weight room, not just the little weight area I have been using. The place is huge and the weight room proper is on the 3rd floor, which I've never been to. I guess there's also a track up there, so I'm going to start warming up with sprints. I'll be bringing my inhaler!

But, for now, it's recovery time.

Comment

• I seem to be losing weight again. Yesterday I was 227 and today 228. Same measurements as always. Hopefully it's not just dehydration.

Slept on the floor last night. My upper abs were so tight when I woke up! Not bad-tight, just, uh.. activated. Felt like I had been working out while asleep.

My cat peed on my bed earlier this week so I have to get a new mattress. Hopefully I'll have one next week. I'm not sure what kind I'll get yet. My previous mattress was a spring mattress with a pillow top, which was nice, but the springs occasionally dug into my hip bones. I don't know how expensive foam mattresses are but I have enjoyed the ones I've slept on in the past. I dunno, I guess we'll see what happens.

Comment

• 227.5ish today. I drank a bunch of water yesterday so I don't think it's dehydration. So that's good. Guess I'm FINALLY moving out of this plateau. It's about time!

Ate 2 slices of swiss cheese last night and had THE WORST stomach cramps afterward. Then I had a pretty bad headache and felt weirdly fatigued. So I guess I really do have a dairy problem and need to avoid it. Sucks.
                Last edited by Gravyboat; 05-12-2012, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• Hey Gravy How's it going? Sounds like you are staying on track.
                  Primal since 9/24/2010
                  "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Comment

• Hi Pebbles, it's going ok. I think the combination of low low carb and exercise have nudged me out of the plateau, but I gotta keep going.

I've been checking out weight-lifting websites to learn different exercises and how to do them with perfect form. And I've been thinking about joining a gym, but it probably won't be this month or next month since I'm about to throw down $600+ on a new mattress.. But in the mean time I've been working with the 7lb weights I have at home, and doing squats and whatnot. The gym I visit occasionally will be shut down next week for annual maintenance, but I'll keep doing my thing at home. I am sort of dreading it but I think I need to start doing cardio too. Bleh!

Right now I'm waiting for some stew to cool. I made it with bones thrown in but I don't know how gelatinous it turned out since it just came off the stove. It smells good anyway. I put red wine in it. I wanted to make french onion soup with beef, but since that cheese hurt me so bad last night, it's just stew now.

Comment

• (227-228 again today. Woke up REALLY dry though.)

Well, my stew gelled up perfectly! I turned the cold pot sideways and the "liquid" (though clear) barely moved. Success!!

For future reference: I roasted 3 pork bones at 450 for about 45 minutes until they looked decently caramelized. Then I soaked them in cold water in the fridge overnight with some apple cider vinegar. The next morning (with the liquid still fully liquid, which concerned me) I put them on the stove with 2lbs of beef stew meat, a little more more apple cider vinegar, red wine, and spices (bay leaves, salt, pepper, garlic) and simmered over medium-low heat for about 5-6 hours. I added onions, celery, and carrot about halfway through. And then, when I took it off the heat, I refrigerated it within 30 minutes, which is apparently important. (The internet said so, and also I had an especially awesome gel the last time I made chicken stock too, which I cooled quickly afterward as well.)

Next time I will sautee the vegetables in butter first. The stew has a slightly astringent ("squeaky") mouthfeel and I think extra added fat would help. Adding butter at this point would only create a layer on top, so next time I'll try soaking it into the vegetables in the beginning.

Also, I have a theory (it's unrelated to the stew). Until recently, I've been taking fish oil caps. But, by the end, they were nearly two months old. I stopped taking them a week or so ago when I ran out, and I haven't gotten any new ones. I wonder if the fat went rancid and they were actually causing inflammation. And now that I'm not taking them anymore my body is happier. There's no way to really know, I guess. But I think I'm gonna go without fish oil for a while. It's expensive anyway, so I'm happy to not spend money on more for now. Also, I eat a fair amount of tuna and fish sauce so I should be ok.

Comment

• Oh snap! 226 today! I can actually update my ticker for the first time in over a month!

Woke up early today and went out on the skateboard for about 45 minutes. Only fell once! My foot got stuck on the ground behind the board while the board was moving, so I ended up doing the splits while going "Crap! Crap!". Unfortunately it was just when some guy was walking past. Whatever, I'll never see him again in my life, it was dark, and at least I was exercising (AND learning a new hobby by myself). So that guy can suck it.

So, I can push off now without falling on my ass or losing my balance too badly. I also coasted down some hills and went kind of too fast for comfort and nearly fell off. But I'm getting there, and I sweated and it was a good workout. I felt it in my upper abs mostly. That makes sense since so much of skateboarding is balancing.

Oh, and a cop rolled slowly past the parking lot I was using but did not stop and interrogate me. That surprised me, since cops notoriously hate skateboarders, I wasn't wearing a helmet, it was 5am and still dark out, so technically the middle of the night, and I was in a private business' parking lot. They obviously saw me and knew what I was doing, but they didn't stop. Maybe because I'm a fat white woman and I was alone, so obviously I wasn't causing mischief. Yay profiling. Anyway, close call! I guess I should carry my ID with me in the future.

Comment

• Bought a mattress today, it'll be here in a week. Glad that's over with! I'm totally wiped out. Got a pretty great deal, though, for a VERY good mattress. Now I'm poor, but pleased.

Also, today I wore size 18 pants!!! Granted they were pretty tight, but they FIT. When I bought them I couldn't even button them. So awesome. The other day I wore a size 18 skirt. When I bought that I couldn't zip it, FORGET actually sitting in it. Now it fits perfectly and isn't tight at all. I'm so glad I bought it even though it didn't fit because it is a beautiful skirt. Actually, it was my first piece of "goal" clothing that I bought way back in January. Next goal item will be a 14, I think. Then a 10.

Speaking of 14s, I bought a size 14 swimsuit the other day. It's tight but it fits! Haven't decided yet if I'm going to keep it or send it back. It isn't as nice as I'd hoped, though it's still nice. And 99% of swimsuits are hideous, so I guess I shouldn't be so hard on it. Also, it should last me all the way to size 10. Decisions...

Comment

• LOL you crack me up. I guess cops don't harass fat white women. I can imagine he told a pretty funny story back at headquarters though.

Congrats on the new number. I'm aiming for a new one by the end of May.
                            Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

• 226 today, 35.75" waist, 48.75" hips (new lows!)

I just want to say that it feels strange not being able to shop in the plus size section for shirts anymore. I know Spubba hates Lane Bryant, but I like it. I even used to work there (40% employee discount, yall). Some of their stuff is really cheaply-made and tacky (particularly the casual shirts), but a lot of it is classy and well-made. I am a classy person. I tend to wear blouses and skirts with nice sweaters most of the time. I am not a jeans-and-tshirt kind of person, unless we're talking forest green skinny jeans with a deep aqua ruched-neck low-v tshirt and light brown cardigan with an antique brooch or something, in which case hell yes. LB has a lot of nice, modest, dressy clothes, so most of my clothes are from there. Now I'm not sure where to shop. I mean, it's just going to be the thrift store for now, but you know.

I was in Target the other day and it was really weird seeing shirts in the regular section that looked too big for me. And the other day I went to the website I bought my old bathing suit at because they have a suuuuuper pretty deep emerald one that I really like, and then I realized they only sell plus sizes, so I can't buy from them anymore. Same thing a few hours later with the Lane Bryant site. I can't wear their clothes anymore, and their new arrivals look really really nice. That bums me out!!

I've been wearing plus sizes basically since middle school, so I am not used to this. On the one hand, it obviously opens up a lot more options to me that I wouldn't have had before. I can probably look in any store at the mall now and find a shirt that will fit me. But it takes away my previous staples, and it is going to take a lot of adjustment to realize (more and more as time goes on) that I am not plus-sized anymore. I look in the mirror and I still see a fat girl, but I am obviously changing. I feel muscles and bones now where there weren't any before. I have a jawline. I have visible clavicles and actual shoulders. I'm getting thinner. It's weird for me.

Especially because, yes, I was tortured as a kid because I was fat, but later it became almost something I was proud of. I was a big girl, big and sexy, check out all these curves, yeah. I got a lot of attention from chubby chasers and I liked it. I was into fat acceptance and was completely secure in the knowledge that I was big, I'd always be big, and that was a-ok because it was just the way I was and I was just as sexy as anyone (although not to most people, but whoever doesn't think so can fuck off). That was my self-identity. Curvy and sexy, but only to certain people. I was prepared to live in a subculture forever because that was just the way things were. Now I'm changing, and I'm starting to realize that someday I'll actually be mainstream-attractive. It's nice and kind of exciting, but since it wasn't even in the realm of possibilities before, it still doesn't feel quite real. My previous self-image is becoming obsolete and my new self-image is still hazy and hasn't fully formed yet. It's a weird place to be.

I mean, I'm not trying to cry or complain about losing weight or something, it's just a big change that I never, ever expected, and I'm feeling kind of Twilight Zone while the new reality sinks in. In 4 months, I've proved that my previous limits, which I'd accepted unquestioningly for 20 years, were an illusion. In reality, I can do anything I want. I can look however I want.

It's going to be incredible to see what happens between now and 160lbs, not just physically but mentally as well.

By the way, I re-measured my bra size because none of my bras fit anymore. I used to wear a 44DD, now I should be wearing a 38G. How the hell am I ever going to find that size? Damnit.

Comment

• You're a pretty cool lady, my friend.

Regarding your exercise, try 5 x 5 (sets and reps).

A lower volume of reps allows you to increase intensity in the form of speed of the lift or amount lifted. This also helps to increase muscular density without what is referred to as sarcoplasmic growth which is an expansion within the cells due to them holding more water.

Apply this to your compound movements:

-Squats (if you have the proper body mechanics/form for it)
                                -Leg press machine
                                -Deadlifts
                                -Bench press
                                -Military press (straight-bar or dumbbell shoulder presses)
                                -Rows
                                -Lat pull-downs (the machine equivalent of pull-ups)

The only other advice is to progressively increase your intensity.

I'll quit pooping all over your journal now. I hope this helps in some way. From what I can tell you're making great progress and you'll continue to do so.

Comment

Working...
                                X