No announcement yet.

Gravyboat's Log, Stardate 59575.1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just really want to know why I'm gaining weight. I'm not doing anything wrong. I've gained like 10lbs in a week. I'm in the middle of my menstrual cycle. I'm not eating more than 1200-1500 calories a day. I'm drinking plenty of water. I'm back to sleeping at night again as of the last two nights. I'm under 100g carbs every day. I've put away the chocolate and won't be eating ANY snacks until I'm back under 227. But I'm still experiencing hypoglycemic symptoms occasionally, especially after I eat. And, with these new mood swings, I've been feeling basically like I did prior to Primal. Difficulty sleeping at night, feeling drained enough to lay down but can't turn my brain off so I just lay there, hypoglycemia, bloat, irritability, not wanting to leave the house or see anyone..

The only thing that's different is that I have not been taking the iodine for a week or so, mostly out of apathy and laziness. But I'm going to start it again because maybe for some reason my stopping it is what caused this.

I'm also going to IF for at least a day or two, starting now. And if that doesn't work I'm probably going to start breaking things, starting with my scale.

I feel like I have lost control of my body. It's doing the exact opposite of what it is supposed to be doing, and I have no idea why. Being out of control of situations tends to make me panicky and very angry, and that is exactly what is happening now.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Comment

• Is there anything new in your environment that might be triggering an allergic response?

I'll be interested to see if resuming the iodine has a positive effect. One thing that surprised me about eating well, was that when I didn't (for extended periods, not just one 'cheat') was how quickly and violently I felt like CRAP! And yet I had probably been feeling like that my whole life, I just didn't realize it, because I had nothing to compare it to. Do you suppose your body really needs that iodine, and this is what you felt like before, but now you can compare it to something better?

Just throwing stuff out there.

Comment

• Are you eating balanced meals? What supplements are you taking now?

PS, I am on 12.5 mg iodine and have been feeling much more energy. I eat three balanced meals and am going to avoid fasting for now because it sends me into binge mode.
        Primal since 9/24/2010
        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
        MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Yup, relatively balanced meals. Usually bacon and eggs for breakfast, possibly with fruit or a vegetable depending on what I have (a small apple/banana/pear or spinach/bean sprouts/peppers/whatever), and I was doing a small drizzle of real maple syrup, but I put a stop to that several days ago, along with the fruit.

Then dinner is some kind of meat-and-vegetable. Chicken soup, shepherd's pie meat, tuna curry, shredded beef stir-fry, etc. Then around 2 squares of dark chocolate before bed, possibly more (but I'm not doing that anymore).

It's not really significantly different from what I was eating before. I can't do 3 meals because I'm just not hungry enough for 3. I only eat if/when I am hungry. If I don't feel like dinner, I don't have it. That hasn't changed either though, that was always my policy.

I'm currently taking the adrenal (thanks again, Pebbles!), ashwagandha, magnesium, selenium, fish oil, vitamin D, vitamin E, and a multivitamin. I did start taking all of it together though (instead of spaced out between morning and night) because I started getting more lazy and just taking them all together with my largest meal ensures I am getting all of them in and I don't have to eat again later just to get food in my stomach to take them with, which is a pain in the ass.

Sabine, I definitely feel like I felt before, which is not good at all. I always knew I felt like absolute shit, I just didn't think I could do any better before. Now I know it can be better, so it's been especially frustrating sliding back down into the pit.

Something that may have contributed: I stopped taking the melatonin for a while and was on my old sleep schedule again for probably over a week, which basically meant staying up until 3-6am and waking up at 11-2pm. I was having a lot of trouble getting back to sleeping at night, but I think I've managed to get back on it. I realize now that when I sleep during the day, I wake up cranky and exhausted no matter what my diet is, so I definitely need to stay on a nighttime-sleeping schedule. I've still been super tired and cranky the last few mornings though, even with sleeping at night, but I hope it gets better.

I think I should basically act as though I am just starting Primal again and need to do everything to A+ #1 perfection. Which means I need to go take the melatonin now, and try and wear my cats out with toys so they don't wake me up again tomorrow.

Comment

• Sleep is essential. Get back on the melatonin! Or 5htp which might be worth a try.
            I don't see a problem with you taking them all together, except the Melatonin for sleep. Be consistent.

There is some research that hypoglycemia caused by not eating enough can make you not feel hungry, but in order to reverse the symptoms, you have to start eating more little by little. Do you track your intake? I have found that a lot of my fatigue, hypoglycemia and hypothyroid symptoms have gotten better now that i am making sure I eat enough of everything for my body size and activity level.

My 2 cents. Hope it helps.
            Primal since 9/24/2010
            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Comment

• Ooookay, so the weight is most likely water. Last night I was on my feet for a while and my ankles swelled up huge and uncomfortably just like old times. They are still big today. Fat doesn't do that. Only water does that. How in the world did I gain 10lbs of water in the middle of my cycle? Did my increased sweets cause my body to hungrily store up glycogen, which brings water weight along with it? Is it good or bad? What can I do about it?

One of the first things I noticed when I first went Primal was that my ankles thinned out and I very quickly lost all that water I always carried around in them. At least now I know that, even fully bloated up like I was, I have definitely lost 20lbs of FAT. Now I just need to get unbloated again.

So, last night as I was walking into the other room to take my melatonin, an acquaintance of mine calls and announces that she just moved in, that day, right across the alley from me. Which is pretty freaking cool, because now I have a friend basically in my building. We are trying to figure out if we can share my wifi signal, which would be cool because we could share the cost.

I got to bed around 11 I think. Not so bad.

Comment

• WiFi - As long as the signal can reach both apartments. Put it by the window? You could set it up with a password you both know. Make sure your wireless router has a strong enough signal for several devices. Sometimes in my home with 4 laptops, 2 wiis and 2 smartphones, we fight for signal rights.
                Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

• It is already by the window, and last night she could get a signal, but today she cannot. I'm looking into options.

Comment

• Well, the wifi problem is solved for now. I changed the wireless channel the router was using to one that is less populated and she says it's great now.

As for me, I'm still bloated, but was down to 233 this morning. My feet and ankles are still extremely swollen. I just got out of the shower and went down to visit my friend for a little bit, so was on my feet for probably an hour. Now my feet are so bloated up it is uncomfortable to move my toes. They look like little vienna sausages. I'll be so glad when this goes away. I went a couple solid months with no feet/ankle bloat, and I was really hoping it was gone for good.

Comment

• My feet and ankles are mostly fine now. I thought about getting some diuretic pills but decided to eat a ton of bananas and drink coffee instead (for the bananas' potassium and the diuretic effects of coffee). Seems to have worked. This morning I was at 232.

I have thought about it, and I think that huge bloat I experienced may have something to do with that mucinex I took a couple weeks ago. I seemed to drop a bunch of weight around then and may have in fact dropped a ton of water in the process and gotten really dehydrated. Then my body probably freaked out and started hoarding water.

I was doing a lot of frantic searching for ways to fix/causes of edema, and someone mentioned electrolytes being messed up, and that gatorade may help. So I searched for more info on that, and someone else said that gatorade is mostly sugar and salt with very poor amounts of potassium, which is what you really want. So I went on my banana binge and it seems to have helped. I feel like I'm getting back to equilibrium finally.

It's also interesting to note that even though I ate 5 bananas in a day (which is frankly a lot of carbs), with maple syrup and peanut butter and chocolate no less (don't judge), I did not experience any negative insulin-related effects. I also believe the "hypoglycemic" symptoms I was experiencing before were straight-up dehydration symptoms. I believe the dizziness and loss of vision when standing was a blood pressure thing caused by the dehydration.

In other news, my friend Megan helped me do laundry today in exchange for $20. She has been skating on thin ice financially lately and has been doing odd jobs for her parents for basically peanuts (shoveling rocks for hours in the hot sun for $10, etc) and I have been desperate for laundry help, so she offered to do some today for some cash. We got three full baskets done in just an hour and a half, which is AWESOME. I also may have convinced her to make laundry day an ongoing thing, because the laundromat we went to was SUPER nice and she was like "Omigosh I want to do my laundry here too!!"

The machines had places to swipe (and/or tap) your credit card so you don't even have to deal with change. They also had two TREMENDOUS dryers that could easily fit three large squatting adults inside. That shit was insane. The dryers were so good that my clothes were bone dry in only half an hour, and they also weren't too hot to touch when they came out (which means the drying action was mostly air-related and not heat-related, which is great). All in all, it was a great laundry experience and I hope to go there again.

Comment

• Hey Gravy,

I just wanted to let you know that I just had a week of gaining 10-15 lbs for no reason. I have been supplementing iodine and that is one of the symptoms. I lowered my dose and added more celtic sea salt. My weight is coming back down. I remember that you stopped the iodine around the time you bloated up. It could be related. Gay Panda has been experiencing the same weird gains.

Hope all is well with you.
                        Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

• 329 this morning. Didn't take measurements.

I went to the flea market with my friend for the first time this year. It was really lackluster. I didn't get anything. Then we went to the gym at her university, which was fun. We used the free weights, but honestly I found it a little repetitive and I felt like my form was bad even though I know what I'm doing. My body just felt all rickety. We also used the machines and I honestly liked them a lot better. The movements felt much more smooth and like I could actually focus more on, you know, pushing/pulling weight than on my stupid body wobbling around.

I realize that the free weights work "better" than the machines BECAUSE your body is free to wobble around, so you end up strengthening every part of you simultaneously because you have to try hard not to wobble. I get that. But I also fell right on my ass in front of some gym bros trying to squat with too narrow a stance. So that sucked. Wouldn't happen on a machine!

Also, I am a little frustrated with my friend because she insists on using the dinkiest little 5lbs weights and using the machines on 0lbs. I'm like, Are you kidding me? Seriously? You might as well not even do it. She read somewhere that women should use low weight and more repetitions to "tone", and I told her straight-up that that is ridiculous and there is no such thing as "toning". But still she persists. Whatever! It's just, urgh. Sooo not helping the gym perception that women are dumb and weak. I used the biggest weights I could do 10 reps on, which at this point still wasn't very impressive. I mostly used 15lb dumbbells, 30lbs combined. Not so great. It will get better though.

Anyway, I walked out of there feeling sore and noodly, which is good. I had to walk down some stairs and pretty much felt like I was going to fall. Same thing with sitting in chairs; I am pretty much just falling down onto them. My quads are currently out of commission, I guess. It's good because it means I really did work out effectively, but it's also funny and a little sad.
                          Last edited by Gravyboat; 04-22-2012, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• Oh my god.

Squats: Not Even Once.

I am so sore today that it was painful TURNING OVER IN BED. Any attempt to sit or stand has been accompanied by wide-eyed, clenched-teeth "OH MY GOD"s and groans of excruciation.

It's good but it's bad. I am supposed to do a ton of stuff with my friend today, which I was seriously looking forward to. This stuff includes doing a couple loads of laundry at the fancy laundromat, thrifting, going to the farmers market/butcher, and then going to a party tonight at 9. Right now I'm not sure I can actually walk down a flight of stairs (no exaggeration), let alone skip around all over town.

It's funny, I thought dancing for 2 hours straight was a pretty good workout. And it was, in a way. I really felt it in my abs afterward, and I sweated a lot. Standard cardio, I guess. But, man, playing with weights for maybe half an hour has completely wrecked me. I am looking forward to doing it again next week, but ONLY if I don't have anything else planned for a few days afterward.

I'm starting to think my friend was smart for not using much weight. Hopefully she's not as wrecked as I am.

Oh, also, my tub is plugged up for some reason, so I need to get some heavy-duty dran-o. But I can't walk. So.. I guess I am going to be stinky for a while until I recover. Damn, this shit's so glamorous I can't even stand it.

Comment

• 230 today, 36", 49.25". I'm measuring now with the tape measure not pulled tight.

Still SUPER SUPER sore. When I woke up my legs actually hurt worse than they did yesterday morning. But Delayed-Onset Muscle Soreness peaks at around 48hrs, so that makes sense. It shouldn't get any worse from here on, thankfully.

I started using a rolling pin on my thighs. It hurts! But I think it's also supposed to help take the lactic acid out of the muscles, so I can deal with it.

My friend wasn't as sore as I am, which is good. I didn't end up going out yesterday because I am nearly certain I cannot walk down stairs right now, let alone down from the 4th floor. I can barely bend my knees when I walk. She was really understanding and went to pick up Dran-o and cat food and tuna for me, which was so nice of her. I didn't go to the party, but she didn't seem especially surprised or bummed out about it. I didn't really want to go anyway, since I wouldn't know anyone. I think she understood. She came over and hung out, though, and we watched a documentary. I wish I could have done "real" stuff with her like we were supposed to, but I'm glad we got to hang out a little bit at least.

I'm popping extra calcium and magnesium pills in an attempt to recover faster/better. I just hope I can get out of bed without excruciating pain again in a couple days!

Oh, I also wanted to mention that my belly and inner thighs are currently the squishiest they've ever been. I have a lot of cellulite-looking fluffy fat there now, which sorta sucks, but whatever. I need to start doing leg-lifts to work on my lower abs. I used some sort of crunch machine at the gym, but I only felt it in my upper abs, and they don't really need as much help.
                              Last edited by Gravyboat; 04-24-2012, 09:33 AM.

Comment

• Are you still there, Gravyboat?

Comment

Working...
                                X