Primal journal (calicowgirl)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal journal (calicowgirl)

I think going public here is a really good step for getting and staying motivated. I am currently a recovering vegetarian. My main protein sources come from fish, eggs and some dairy, mostly cottage cheese, keifer and yogurt if I have any. I have been adding in other clean meats when I find them and can afford them.

I gave up artificial sweeteners and caffeine a couple of years back and decided to try a 30 day grain free challenge a few months ago. It has gone well. I am now focusing on trying to incorporate other primal aspects in my day to day life.

The last week or so I have been so hungry and have added back on a couple of pounds due to the amount of food I've been consuming. I'm going to start journaling my daily food intake so I can try and figure out what needs to be adjusted.

My exercise so far is yoga and pilates as well as some jogging. My short term goals are to be able to stick to an exercise program that can be spontaneous and fun. My long term goals are to feel better and not as fatigued, to look better and to be able to do a pull up by the end of the year.

Today's date: 02-14-12
    Height - 5'3"
    Starting weight - 151
    Current weight -145
    Goal weight - 130
    Measurements - 38-29-43
    Age 38
    Went grain free Oct 2011 and now Feb 2012, going for Primal.
    SW: 151 CW: 144

2-14-12, Pull up challenge sign up!
    2-16-12, Slow Movement challenge begins! 5.7mi/9.17km

"For every journey that passes, something beautiful remains."

After posting this morning I went out and bought an Iron Gym pull up bar so now I'm ready to get started on that goal. Woot! I didn't feel as hungry today, but then again I didn't work out either. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

What I ate today.

Upon waking: Decaf bulletproof coffee

B: Protein smoothie: 6oz coconut milk, strawberries & scoop whey protein isolate.
    2 boiled eggs

L: Can of tuna drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar
    Medium sliced tomoato
    Raw baby carrots drizzled with olive oil and balsamic

S: 2 boiled eggs
    1Tbs almond butter

D: Shrimp with yellow squash and peppers

Extras: 2 more cups decaf coffee. One with a splash of coconut milk added
    Herbal tea infusion (lemon balm, licorice root, astragalus with a splash of lemon juice added before serving.)

Comment

My fitness plan for the day...

I read back over Mark's PBF e-book and am going to do the evaluation to see where I should begin the program. My new pull up bar is hollering my name so I'll be very happy to get started with it even if I am only hanging around. I will also be doing a one hour pilates class at the gym as soon as I get my ferals off to school.

Ok, so I did the evaluation. Man, that sure is an eye opener as to exactly how out of shape I am. I couldn't do even one pull up or dive bomber and only one push up. Ugh.

So here is where I'll be starting...

Pull up -- 2 leg chair assisted
      Push up -- Wall Push
      Squat -- Assisted squat w/ bar
      Overhead Press -- Elevated jack knife press
      Plank -- Hand/Knee plank + side plank.

Wish me luck!
      Last edited by calicowgirl; 02-15-2012, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Food for 2-15-12

B: Bullet Proof coffee

S:Boiled egg

L: Ground beef with broccoli, onions and peppers

S: 1 boiled egg + one yolk (daughter didn't want hers lol)
        apple

D: Salmon with steamed veggies (broccoli, asparagus and peppers)

I wasn't as hungry today, thank goodness, but I have been tired. probably the rainy weather. I'm like a lizard and need my sunshine.

Comment

I was reading some of the leptin reset thread last night. Man, there is so much info there my head started to hurt. I've been suffering from fatigue for quite some time that by the time the afternoon gets here most days I can barely keep my eyes open. I've also suffered from insomnia for years and although it is much better now, most nights I spend a lot of time tossing and turning. I found the info very interesting, but the thought of scarfing down massive amounts of food so early in the morning made me a bit queasy just reading about it.

And then there is the exercise in the evening thing. Due to my schedule, if I don't exercise in the morning it probably isn't going to happen except for the one or two nights a week I might get out to play raquetball. Of course, those are all excuses. I actually decided to see what the heck 50g of protein looks like. Since I'm recovering vegetarian I just couldn't quite wrap my mind around consuming that all at one setting. Paleotrack says my 2 eggs scrambled with 2.5 oz of pork sausage and a half cup of cottage cheese was 48g. I was a bit surprised by that to be honest because I ate it and still feel as though I could eat more even though technically I don't think I'm still hungry, so didn't. I'll have to read more about it and see how it fits in with my schedule and symptoms.

As for exercise for the day. My PBF looked like this...
          Pull ups: 20, 2 legged assisted x2
          Push ups: 30 wall push x2
          Squats: 30 pole assisted x2
          Plank: 60 sec hand and knee plank x2
          Supposed to do elevated jack knife presses, but Mark's youtube video says it's private and I have no clue what they look like so I skipped them.

1.5 mile walk with my trusty sidekick, Sampson.

Food for the day...

Upon rising: Bullet Proof Coffee

B: Scrambled eggs with pork sausage
          cottage cheese
          decaf black coffee

S: Boiled egg
          Handful of strawberries

D: Salmon
          Green beans with bacon
          Fried cabbage
          Sliced tomatoes

Went out for a few hours to watch a friend's band and had two Bud Lights then came home and had some dark chocolate. Super yummy!!
          Last edited by calicowgirl; 02-16-2012, 10:49 PM. Reason: Adding stuff

Comment

Hi. Welcome.

As a recovering vegetarian (like many of us) your body is rebuilding stuff that wasn't getting nourished. So you you may gain a bit. Hide your scales in the closet or give them to a thrift shop. Seriously.
            Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Hi Hedonist!

Thank you for the reminder. I went years without weighing myself due to becoming obsessed with those darn numbers. I still try not to do so too often and tend to go more by how my clothes fit and how my knees feel.

All the best.

Comment

I've had a horrible headache since about noon. It threatened to to go migrain, but I lucked out and it didn't. Still have a bit of a halo effect over my right eye though. Sure hope it goes away. I also woke up sore this morning. Is very enlightening to be sore from 2-legged assisted pull ups... sigh. Keep going is what I'm telling myself. Sooner or later I'm once again going to be in better shape.

Fitness for today...
                One hour yoga class at the gym and three games of raquetball which didn't last too long since I'm new to the game and get my ass kicked real fast. lol

Food for the day...

Bullet Proof Coffee

3 scrambled eggs with sausage
                cottage cheese

Ginger snap larabar

2 boiled eggs
                cottage cheese and sliced tomatoes
                Salad with cheese

Comment

Today was a very slow day since I've still got a bit of my headache going on. So my only fitness for the day was a 1.5 mile walk.

Food looked something like this...

Bullet Proof Coffee
                  3 egg frittata with sausage and cheese

boiled egg

Salmon
                  summer squash with tomoato and parmesan cheese
                  Broccoli and cheese soup

2 cups decaf coffee, black

Comment

I had no journal entry for yesterday because I did nothing yesterday... it was great! While I lazed around, I did manage to stay mostly on target with my eating. I didn't go snarf down everything in sight, but did have a wonderful time eating much more fruit than I normally would.

Today is already looking up, however. I'm up and heading off to yoga and I'm dragging the kids and one of my partners alond with me which is no small task considering it is a holiday and they're grumpy about being up so early.lol More to come later...

Fitness for today...
                    One hour of yoga and a 2.7 mile walk
                    1 hour swing dance lesson

Food for the day...
                    Bullet Proof coffee
                    3 eggs with sausage

shrimp cocktail

ground beef with veggies and asparagus on the side
                    a few strawberries

coffe and herbal tea
                    Last edited by calicowgirl; 02-21-2012, 11:00 AM. Reason: Adding stuff

Comment

I measured myself today and was excited that although the scale says I've gained three pounds, I've lost inches. One for chest (whis it would have stayed), one for waist and two for hips. Woot!

Fitness for the day...

30 min stretch and twist yoga
                      Primal fitness
                      20 2 leg assisted pull ups x2
                      30 pole assisted squats x2
                      30 wall push ups x2
                      hand/knee plank
                      side hand/knee plank

Food for the day...

Bullet Proof coffee

Protein smoothie made with homeade coconut milk keifer, strawberried/blueberries and whey isolate protein powder.

A handful of sunflower seeds w/ shell, cup of Trader Joe's greek honey yogurt, Larabar & apple. On the go all day. This stuff was munched on throughout the afternoon.

Salmon and asparagus.
                      Last edited by calicowgirl; 02-21-2012, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Today was a very off day so while I didn't mess up food wise, I didn't really put any effort into it either.

Exercise was 30 min of yoga

Food consisted of...

Bullet proof coffee

2 boiled aggs and cottage cheese

apple
                        2 little cuties mandarin oranges

Ground beef with onions
                        green beans with new potatoes

decaf coffee

Comment

Primal fitness for the day was to LHT= body weight exercises and a few minutes of stretching. I also worked for about an hour outside cleaning up after the doge, sweeping with a push broom, hosing down the patio that stretches the length of the house and then some. Is wonderful beign out int he sunshine! However, the last few days have been crazy busy so finding extra time to head out for a nice long walk has been nonexistent. Ugh.

So far food looks like this...

Bullet proof coffee

1 avacado
                          1 can tuna drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar
                          decaf coffee

apple
                          dark chocolate

hamburger patty w/ havarty cheese
                          broccoli
                          Last edited by calicowgirl; 02-23-2012, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Spent the weekend in vegas with my partners and some friends. Was a great time, but due to having a small soda and a piece of cake I had the most horrific stomach ache ever and spent most of the four hour trip home on Sunday nauseas. Blech.

Today I wasn't really hungry and decided to give my tummy a break so here is what my food intake looked like...

Bullet Proof Coffee
                            Fruit smoothie (coconut milk, blueberries, banana & protein powder)
                            Handful of almonds
                            Slamon with veggies

the only exercise I did today was an hour yoga class. Weather sucked so didn't get to take the doggie boy out for a walk.

Comment

Still not over the tummy issues that have had me visiting the bathroom many times over the last two days so no exercise at all fo me.

Food has been pretty non-existent as well although today I did manage to eat two eggs, a banana, an apple and an avacado. Major carbs, but I don't have a headache or feel quite as listless anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X