Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 29: Friday 02nd March

1. Meals:

B. 3 egg omlette, fresh juice from 1 squeezed orange, cup of coffee, omega 3 tablet
    L. Sausage stew (recipe here on my blog but substituted sausages for the pork) + pear
    S. 2 chicken legs + apple
    D. Shepherds Pie made with spiced parsnip mash (recipe from the BBC website) I tweaked the recipe slightly by leaving out the flour but other than that it is pretty much primal and an apple
    S. Almonds + Banana
    D. (Second dinner at work on night shift) Sausage stew recipe here on my blog but substituted sausages for the pork) + Apple
    S. Almonds

2. Exercise:

Sprint:
    Tabata intervals; 20s maximum effort/10s rest of each of the four exercises below, repeat the circuit, done!
    Burpees
    Mountain Climbers
    Sprint on spot with high knees
    Jumping Jacks

3. Sleep:

Approx 5.5 hours from 06:30 to 12:00 (worked night shift 22:00 to 06:00)

4. Sunlight:

About an hours worth while out in town during the day, it was actually warm enough to only wear a t-shirt, crazy!

Comment

Day 30 Sat 03 March

1. Meals:

B. 3 egg omlette, fresh juice from 1 squeezed orange, cup of coffee, omega 3 tablet
      S. Chicken Leg + Pear
      D. Cream Roasted Swede Soup; recipe will appear on my blog shortly + a couple of squares of 85% cacao chocolate
      S. Almonds + Apple
      L. (at work on night shift) Winter veg stir fry; again recipe will appear on my blog shortly + banana

2. Exercise:

Rest day

3. Sleep:

Approx 7 hours from 06:30 to 13:30 (worked night shift 22:00 to 06:00)

4. Sunlight:

Very little

Comment

Day 31 Sun 04th March

1. Meals:

S. Chicken Leg + Pear
        D. Went out for dinner with the Mrs to Cafe Rouge. Moules Mariniers to start (no bread), and Bouilabaisse (fish stew, again no bread) for the main. Glass of red wine. Then fell slightly off the wagon by sharing the Tranche Au Chocolat (chocolate cake with ice cream)
        S. Almonds + Apple
        L. (at work on night shift) Winter veg stir fry (recipe here on my blog) banana

2. Exercise:

Rest day

3. Sleep:

Approx 7 hours from 06:30 to 13:30 (worked night shift 22:00 to 06:00)

4. Sunlight:

Very little

Comment

Just checking in Man of Kent;
          Looks like things are going well except for sunlight. I'll take some in for you now as I take my four dogs for a hike in the woods behind my house. Full spring sun to spare--hope yours comes soon!

Comment

Originally posted by missblue View Post
            Just checking in Man of Kent;
            Looks like things are going well except for sunlight. I'll take some in for you now as I take my four dogs for a hike in the woods behind my house. Full spring sun to spare--hope yours comes soon!
            Hey, good to hear from you again, I'm very jealous of the sun that you're getting, where are you in the world?. Spring seems to be on the horizon here but not properly established yet, hopefully when it is my vit D quest will improve! It doesn't help that I work varying shifts either which makes it harder to make time to go out and get some sun.

Day 32 Mon 05th March

1. Meals:

S. Chicken Leg + Pear
            D. Winter veg stir fry (recipe here on my blog) + a couple of squares of 85% cacao chocolate
            S. Almonds + Apple
            L. (at work on night shift) Second helping of winter veg stir fry + banana

2. Exercise:

Rest day (put training on the backburner this week as I'm trying to fit in decorating my living room around work)

3. Sleep:

Approx 5 hours from 06:45 to 11:45 (worked night shift 22:00 to 06:00)

4. Sunlight:

Very little

Comment

Day 33 Tue 06th March

1. Meals:

S. Chicken Leg + Pear
              L. Roast Swede Soup (recipe here on my blog) + cheese (White Stilton with apricots, and Wendsleydale with cranberry and orange) + a couple of squares of 85% cacao chocolate
              D. Second helping of Roast Swede Soup (needed using up) + banana

2. Exercise:

Rest day (put training on the backburner this week as I'm trying to fit in decorating my living room around work)

3. Sleep:

Approx 9 hours from 23:00 to 08:00 (rest day from work)

4. Sunlight:

Very little
              Last edited by Man of Kent; 03-08-2012, 08:17 AM. Reason: Whoops, wrong date in the heading!

Comment

Day 34 Wed 07th March

1. Meals:

S. Almonds + pear
                L. Primal Cereal (Pecan nuts, flaked almonds, chopped halzelnuts mixed together) with milk + couple of squares of 85% cacao chocolate
                S. Almonds + apple
                D. Steak with primal peppercorn sauce (recipe here on my blog) + roast parnsips + carrots and brussel sprouts + apple

2. Exercise:

Rest day (training is still on hold this week while trying to fit in decorating my living room)

3. Sleep:

Approx 6.5 hours from 22:30 to 04:50 (rest day from work)

4. Sunlight:

Was outside for approx 45 mins while shopping but weather was grotty so not a huge amount of sun.

Comment

Day 35 Thur 08th March

1. Meals:

S. Almonds + pear
                  L. Fish stew - recipe here on my blog but substituted a lovely bit of haddock for the pork, chopped the haddock up and added it for about 10 mins at the end when the veg and stock had been simmering for a good hour or so, it doesn't need any longer than that or it will be overcooked.
                  S. Chicken drumstick + apple
                  D. Went out for drinks and dinner with a mate - grilled chicken and bacon salad at O'Neills. Several pints of various real ales (embarrasingly I lost count but probably 7-8); definitely not primal unfortunately but I don't drink very often so I'm not feeling too guilty.

2. Exercise:

Rest day (training is still on hold this week while trying to fit in decorating my living room)

3. Sleep:

Approx 6.5 hours from 02:00 to 08:30 (worked early shift but then stayed up late)

4. Sunlight:

Very little

Comment

Day 36 - Fri 09th March

1. Meals:

B. 2 fried eggs, 2 rashers of bacon, 3 sausages, cup of coffee, juice from 2 freshly squeezed oranges
                    S. Almonds + pear
                    L. Fish stew - recipe here on my blog but substituted a lovely bit of haddock for the pork, chopped the haddock up and added it for about 10 mins at the end when the veg and stock had been simmering for a good hour or so, it doesn't need any longer than that or it will be overcooked.
                    D. Roast chicken breast with roasted carrots and leeks and swede mash, topped with Paleo gravy (basically some boiled water, a stock cube and arrowroot substituted for flour, mix in the arrowroot by eye adding a couple of teaspoons at a time until it reaches the desired thickness) - Grilled banana with a few squares of melted 85% chocolate and double cream.

2. Exercise:

Bike sprints;
                    - see my blog post here

3. Sleep:

Approx 6.5 hours from 22:30 to 04:50 (rest day)

4. Sunlight:

Approx 30 mins while out on the bike

Comment

Day 37 - Sat 10th March

1. Meals:

B. Primal cereal (flaked almonds, flax seed, pecan nuts, chopped hazelnuts and a few raisins mixed together with milk) + freshly squeezed juice from 1 orange + omega 3 tablet
                      S. Almonds + pear
                      D. Went out for dinner with my girlfriend to Sabai Sabai a Thai restaurant located in Moseley. I managed to stay pretty primal; for starter I had the Hoy (Mussels sauteed in garlic and pepper sauce with onions, baby corn and mangetout), for main I had the Prawn Penang (penang sauce with coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves, sweet peppers and red chillis) and for dessert I had Roast Custard and Cream (whoops, but I couldn't resist). Accompanied with 2 glasses of red wine.

2. Exercise:

Rest Day

3. Sleep:

Approx 7 hours from 21:45 to 04:50 (worked early shift)

4. Sunlight:

Very little

Comment

Day 38 - Sun 11th March

1. Meals:

B. Primal cereal (flaked almonds, flax seed, pecan nuts, chopped hazelnuts and a few raisins mixed together with milk) + freshly squeezed juice from 1 orange + omega 3 tablet
                        S. Almonds + pear
                        D. Roast chicken with roast parsnips and carrots, and boiled broccoli and sprouts with primal gravy (mix juices from chicken with some boiling water and gradually add arrowroot until the gravy is the desired thickness)

2. Exercise:

About 1 1/2 hr walk around the local neighbourhood and park

3. Sleep:

Approx 9 hours from 23:00 to 08:00 (worked early shift)

4. Sunlight:

About 2 hours in total, sat out in the garden when I got back from work and while out walking, lovely early spring day yesterday!

Comment

Day 39 - Mon 12th March

1. Meals:

B. 3 egg omlette, cup of coffee with dash of double cream, freshly squeezed juice from 1 orange + omega 3 tablet
                          L. Carrot and Coriander soup (recipe here on my blog) served with a couple of cheeses
                          S. Almonds + pear
                          D. (at work) second helping of carrot and coriander soup but this time I reheated in the microwave with some leftover chicken from yesterday's roast to make a broth + apple
                          S. Chicken drumstick + couple of squares of 85% cacao chocolate

2. Exercise:

Lift Heavy Things (approx 35 min session):
                          Superset all exercises, 2 min rest after the first exercise while performing the second exercise
                          Wide grip explosive chin ups (lift up as explosively as possible, hold at the top for a couple of seconds, lower down slowly), superset with handstand pushups
                          Pistol squats holding a 10kg weight plate supersetting one leg with the other
                          Tuck lever holds superset with explosive marine pushups (elbows next to sides)

3. Sleep:

Approx 8 hours from 01:00 to 09:00 (worked late shift - 14:00 to 22:00)

4. Sunlight:

Approx 30 mins while out and about in town before work.

Comment

Originally posted by Man of Kent View Post
                            Hey, good to hear from you again, I'm very jealous of the sun that you're getting, where are you in the world?. Spring seems to be on the horizon here but not properly established yet, hopefully when it is my vit D quest will improve! It doesn't help that I work varying shifts either which makes it harder to make time to go out and get some sun.
                            Greetings Man of Kent
                            Sorry to be so long getting back--I don't track journals (don't know how) so if I don't see a post I get out of touch.

I'm from Midwest U.S. in Southern Illinois. I live about an hour from the confluence--where the Mississippi and Ohio rivers meet and I believe 2/3 of the water that falls in the U.S. passes. It is interesting there as you can see a line of muddy (Mississippi) water meeting the "cleaner" Ohio water (clean being a relative term by slack environmental practices here) My husband and I live in a house we are building slowly as money allows at the edge of the Shawnee Wilderness--don't have a link ability either (this thing is really just a typewriter to me to tell the truth) but it is easy to Google. Very beautiful and not too many people which suits me fine.

I do a lot of hiking and ride endurance horses with a friend on the River to River Trail (which goes across the southern half of the state and is very long--I only ride our section) so am out in nature as much as I can be. I teach at a university and have the amazing decadence of scheduling my classes but I know what you mean about shift work--spent a long time doing that and as someone who naturally falls asleep when the sun goes down, I didn't much care for it. That's a change from youth where I would see the sun up more often than not when I lived near San Francisco. I loved driving home over the Bay Bridge watching the sunrise headed for a big breakfast and another round of fun. Who needed sleep then?

Ah, but times change. I love to sleep and sleep early now and get lots of sun in the morning. Speaking of that, dogs are padding around my chair staring at their collars. This is a sign to me that we must go posthaste. Hope you and your girlfriend are going to plan a lovely spring hike this weekend, and keep up the good work on your Primal lifestyle

Comment

Sorry to be so long getting back--I don't track journals (don't know how) so if I don't see a post I get out of touch.
                              No worries! I have some distant family who live in Lafayette, Indiana so not a million miles away from you. Where you are sounds great though, it's awesome how much space you guys have over there to enjoy nature. I just googled the Shawnee Wilderness, looks lovely and great to have that on your doorstep. Sounds like you have grown to embrace the primal lifestyle (sun, sleep) etc as life has gone on and it fits even better if you can control your own working hours. You're right about working shifts being difficult from a sun and sleep point of view but I still definitely prefer them to the 9-5 grind. At least I can often get some sun during the day while people who are cooped up same time every day often see virtually none through the winter months. Funnily enough my girlfriend and I are indeed planning a spring walk this weekend, and I'm off for a hike with a mate next Monday as well so hopefully you'll see a link or two on the journal in due course.

Day 40 - Tue 13th March

1. Meals:

B. 3 egg omlette, cup of coffee with dash of double cream, freshly squeezed juice from 1 orange + omega 3 tablet
                              S. Almonds + pear
                              L. Carrot and Coriander soup + apple
                              S. Chicken drumstick + banana
                              D. Primal cottage pie (adapted slightly to be primal) + a couple of squares of 81% cacao chocolate

2. Exercise:

Approx 40 min bike ride

3. Sleep:

Approx 10 hours from 22:30 to 08:30 (rest day from work)

4. Sunlight:

Approx 40 mins while out cycling.

Comment

Day 41 - Wed 14th March

1. Meals:

S. Almonds + pear
                                L. Spicy Sausage Stew (pork sausage, 2 onions, 2 parsnips, 2 carrots, 500ml beef stock, 1tbs of curry powder - fry the onion + sausage, add the parsnips + carrots and curry powder for a min or two, add the stock and simmer for 30mins / 1 hr, divide into portions and serve/store) + apple
                                S. Chicken drumstick + banana
                                D. Simple Thai Curry (3 pork steaks, cauliflower, a bunch of spring onions, swede, 6 shallots, tin coconut milk, red curry paste, thai fish sauce; peel and dice the swede into small cubes add to boiling water and simmer for 20 mins, meanwhile in a wok or large pan heat a tin of coconut milk with 3 tbs red curry sauce and 1 tbs of fish sauce, chop the pork steaks into strips and add to the wok with the other diced veg and heat until cooked through, add the swede into the wok and mix in, serve/portion out to store. Followed up with a couple of squares of 81% cacao chocolate

2. Exercise:

Lift Heavy Things
                                All exercises supersets with 1 min 30s rest between sets (perform the second exercise while resting the first)

Neutral Grip Chin Ups superset with Handstand holds
                                Single Leg Box Squats, supersetting one leg with the other
                                Tuck Lever superset with Marine Press Ups

3. Sleep:

Approx 8 hours from 23:45 to 07:45 (rest day from work)

4. Sunlight:

Very little, so frustrating that despite it being warmer still very little sun around!
                                Last edited by Man of Kent; 03-15-2012, 01:38 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections

Comment

Working...
                                X