No announcement yet.

Primal Journal: hippie_mama

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeling less weird today between meals, but i'm still getting used to the difference between 'full of veggies and protein' vs 'full of fluffy-yummy carb-stuff.'

I wondered about the calories; logging my food makes me feel a lot more 'guilty' about what i'm eating, so to be completely honest, i'm not just switching out foods, but lowering the volume of food too. Every time i think about eating just a bite of something, the little voice in my head says "yeah, that'll look *real* great on your food chart..." and more often than not, i put it down and walk away! Then stare at my pie charts some more, lol.

I was cleverly avoiding mentioning what *exactly* i've been eating, but since it's been asked, i guess i can list everything from yesterday, and what i've had so far today:

02/11/10

L: 2 cups pumpkin soup (canned pumpkin, chicken broth, and sauteed onions), 1 slice Genoa Salami, 4" Pancake (from a box mix, with fresh blueberries and 0.5 Tbsp butter), 6 Olives (Greek)

S: apple with 1 Tbsp natural peanut butter

D: Chicken breast (from a whole chicken, no skin)

Cauliflower, cooked with green onion (sauteed in coconut oil), Cucumber salad made with cucumber and vinegar

02/12/10

L: Big Ass Salad (1.5 cups mixed greens from a bag, 9 grape tomatoes, 0.5 cup cucumber, 3 olives (greek ones, from the deli), 3 slices natural turkey (whatever that means) from the deli, 0.5 cup leftover cooked cauliflower, 1.5 oz cheese, 0.5 T EVOO, 1 T red wine vinegar), 16 oz 2% milk

Comment

Your pumpkin soup sounds really yummy but I bet it would be REALLY good with some heavy cream stirred in - have you tried that?

1 slice of salami? Who does that? haha have 4-6 slices. yum.

I loooove greek olives mmmm.

peanut butter is obviously not primal (well or the pancake haha) - have you tried almond butter? I like it a lot - also I just recently tried cashew butter and it was SOOOOO good.

Chicken breast - why no skin? Skin is YUMMY and also helps you with the protein to fat ratio (meat "comes with" fat for a reason). Also I hope you cooked it in some butter or something... chicken breast plain is just dismal. You have to add fat!!!

Cucumber salad - have you tried it with EVOO? Toss the cucumbers with olive oil before you add the vinegar (or lemon juice) and it's really really good, and also there's some more good fat for ya.

Your big ass salad sounds good - only 3 olives though? Add some more! And you might want to check up on that turkey. I know our deli turkey here has sugar in it and also MSG - wtf? Also, only .5 T EVOO for THAT MUCH salad?? Pour it on, baby.

And switch to whole milk.

If you do that sort of stuff your calories will come up to a more normal/acceptable/healthy range, and your fat will be a higher percentage of your intake, which will make you feel more full and less munchy.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

Good ideas; i still can't get used to meat fat or skin; the texture is too "yucky" to me (also, the bird was cooked in a crock pot, so that makes the skin soft and even less pleasant, imo). Heavy cream and whole milk will be hard to get used to too (i only recently switched from skim, because the kids are getting tall and skinny on me!) The salami was one of those impulse munchies that i grabbed while the kids were making their own lunches. Same with the pancake (eek!). There is some almond butter in the house, but it's so expensive for that little jar; i'm going to pull out the food processor (hopefully today?) and see if it can handle nuts so i can make my own. I think the meat is safe, because my husband nagged the butchers until they determined that the turkey (the stuff that's $8 a pound), their genoa salami, and one brand of ham were the only deli meats they had without corn syrup, corn solids, or MSG. And this is the local grocery chain that has the least additives in their meats.

Comment

FNW's post x 2 That's what I was going to say! Keep the skin on your chicken, switch to full-fat dairy, and be a little bit more liberal with your meat portions. Remember, even CW says 4oz of meat is a serving, and you need AT LEAST that if you're going to have normal calorie ranges without grains.

Everything sounds delicious though! And I agree about the way "full" feels now. Full means satisfied to me now, and I don't want to put more food in my mouth. Eating all the healthy grains in the world, full meant I needed to stop, but that I could easily eat more pasta/rice/crackers no matter how I felt. Very different indeed!

You are what you eat,
          and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

You're doing really well, it does take a while to get over that nagging feeling of being "naughty"

A thought on the fat / texture thing - how are you with crispy bacon, crispy chicken skin? Avocado on your salad perhaps?

Comment

Wow, I'm doing fitday, too, to get a handle on what I'm doing....I'm eating a lot more calories than you, and I just started, too. I am trying to eat only when hungry, but so far (3 days) I seem to be eating between 1500-1700 cal, 60% fat, 30% protein, 10% carb. I am not going hungry at all, nor do I feel stuffed.

I was shocked the first couple days about the fat grams (somewhere around 100 gms!). But I think it's because Geoff said "bacon" to me and I've been eating it for breakfast and using the fat to fry the eggs in. That, and LOVING avocadoes and now eating them to my heart's content!

I was VERY hungry day 1, less so day 2, day 3 WHAM-O! no hunger.

I'm really glad to have a 'cohort' of newbie women...))

I just got my copy of PRIMAL BLUEPRINT and I'm going to go read some!

PWG

Comment

wow hippie momma you are kicking some butt! good for you. I remember when I went through my withdrawls this summer it was HORRIFYING how much it sucked... good for you for trying so hard to stick to it! Do it for your kids

Live Like No One Else

http://primalterp.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm her husband, and have been trying to get her to understand the basic principle of PB, that is, to EAT! but I think I'll just let FlyNavyWife and the other women around here do that for me!

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
                  Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
                  I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

Comment

omg, my husband just claimed me. In public (sort of).

Comment

ok, for dinner we had muffin-shaped baked omelet things (eggs, bacon, homemade mayo, grape tomatoes, sweet yellow peppers and onions cooked in bacon fat (!)) which finishes out my stats for the day:

Calories: 1,667

Fat: 120.9

Carbs: 51.4

Protein: 95.6

Fat(65%)

Carbs(12%)

Protein(24%)

Alcohol(0%)

The calories and fat are freaking me out a little, but look at those carbs! haha

Thanks for the encouragement mandabear, Monkey, and everyone else, and WannaBe, i'm really glad for the support of other ladies too--i was a bit worried this whole caveman thing would be sort of a boys' club, but that's not the case at all!

I'm definitely feeling more positive today that i can stick this out; now i just want to see some results on the scale for some evidence that it's working for me!

Comment

MUCH better "stats" today hippie_mama.

The calories are like... the low side of maintenance level for me (5'6" 125ish pounds) when not pregnant. But for the last 6-7 months I've eaten probably 2000 on average (some days around 1600, some days around 2000, some even up to 3000!!!!) and not gained a pound. Don't worry - your husband is right. You can EAT on PB.

Also the fat looks much better today. Didn't it taste good? I'm proud of you. hehe.

SO not a boy's club. And with all the pregnant ladies we have enough estrogen to turn all those caveguys into girls if we wanted to.

PS have you told us how tall you are / how much you weigh? I forget... how much weight are you trying to lose?

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

i was hoping no one would ask! i'm 5'6" as well, and right now i weigh 175; i would *like* to lose 30 lbs. That would put me well within the "healthy" range. If i could lose more, all the better; i told my husband that if by some miracle i lost 50 lbs, i would run down the street naked in celebration. Well, maybe in a sexy outfit. I did give birth to (and breastfeed) three children! XD

The food *was* pretty yummy; i think bacon is my new best friend. I can cook it really crunchy, and pretend i'm not nom-ing on fat.

Comment

Sorry if I made you uncomfy or if you felt "put on the spot." Just, more information is helpful and we're all pretty open about that stuff here (or so it seems to me).

I'm 5'6" too - I'd say if you aim for 2000ish-2200ish calories/day and keep fat high, protein moderate (I aim for 80g or so a day on average) carbs under 50g a day, you should lose weight pretty easily. Even if you're not an exercise fan (I'm really not either. haha)... but going on walks before or after dinner with your husband and kids would be an awesome way to get in some "slow moving." That will help "activate" the right hormones and increase your insulin sensitivity and stuff... it's not about burning calories (no matter what they say on the Biggest Loser).

Also, take your measurements now and write them down (bust, ribs, natural waist, belly (at your belly button), hips, thighs, anything else you might be curious about. That way if the scale is frustrating you you can whip out the tape measure and see if maybe you're having some body composition changes - good way to get a quick boost because chances are you'll see some big changes in inches too.

Comment

Hippie mama I weigh the same as you and Im 5'7"! So I would FOR REAL run down the street naked if I lost 30 lbs!!! I would just have to make sure that everything was nice and tight... to lessen the bounce/jiggle factor of my booty and waist!!

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

Oh it's cool; i'm just being silly. Measurements are a good idea.

Exercise is a problem; i could go hike in the woods behind the house, but walking on the one-lane road we live on would be dangerous, between our psychotic neighbors driving, and their unruly pets and children wandering about. Oh yeah. And i need to find some motivation. I used to drive down to an abandoned campground next to the lake somewhat-nearby; i could claim it as "me time," but after awhile it started to feel silly. "Me time?" Seriously? I've got too much housework and reading to do for that!

Comment

Working...
                                X